Season 95/96 memories please (new show recording this week)

Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle

Afternoon all,

Due to slow news so far in terms of movement amongst players and season ticket sales, we would like to take this opportunity to record a special show this week charting the highs and lows of season 95/96

Post any memories you have of that season below and the best ones will be read out

Amazing season for many reasons. 

Few standout memories for me - forgive if Ive misremembered but is hard to believe it is over 20 years ago!

First season under JJ and real feeling of optimism especially after dire previous campaigns and reinforced by hammering his old club early doors (a great atmosphere).

The amazing league cup game at Dundee when we were 2/3 down and ended up equalising in last minute. And equalising again in ET. And then the penalties - Henry making a great save, then walking up grabbing ball to take next penalty and blazing it over!

Last minute Robbo equaliser at Easter Road

Then some poor results and JJ decided to blood the youngsters - Locke, Ritchie et al - and make some astute signings - Rousset, Bruno and Eskilsson. Remember their debut v Partick, 3-0 and Eskilsson scored the third before the Swedish international went onto score dozens and dozens more....(one I think).

The cup semi v Aberdeen, glorious day, terrible game until last few minutes - Robbo scored (with his hand I think!) they equalised and then Magic scored the winner...

The final v Rangers - horrific. But at least it wasnt 5-1 against our closest rivals....and Laudrup was world class that day.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Magic's hat trick at Ibrox probably the highlight. Brilliant performance.

millerjames398

Magics two games v rangers and real belief I would get to see us lift the cup at last, didn't quite pan out the way I hoped,also the it's not over till fat striker scores derby, I was under the stand about to leave when I saw us get the corner leading up to the goal on the tv screens, got back into the stand just in time to see Robbie swivel and score...absolute bedlam.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Magic's hat trick at Ibrox probably the highlight. Brilliant performance.

I forgot that! Was in media box at Easter Road when that game was on listening to the game on a wee radio - it was before social media etc and many of the journalists were turning to me for the score. I remember one - cant remember his name - but a fat weegie ****hole calling me a lying ******** ******* ********* ******** when I said it was 3-0 to Hearts and Johnston had scored hat-trick.

Signing Cameron from Raith half way through the season and making his debut, I think, vs rangers in a 2-0 win against rangers at Tynie.

Getting hammered off them in the final after beating them twice in the league. Rousset having a mair for the second goal

I forgot that! Was in media box at Easter Road when that game was on listening to the game on a wee radio - it was before social media etc and many of the journalists were turning to me for the score. I remember one - cant remember his name - but a fat weegie ****hole calling me a lying ******** ******* ********* ******** when I said it was 3-0 to Hearts and Johnston had scored hat-trick.

I was on a freebie with another Jambo pal at ER that day too (a shocker of a 0-0 draw with Motherwell). Gave my wife my ticket for Ibronx and I've never taken a freebie to be a "neutral" since when a Hearts game is on at same time!

Anyway, my high was the SC semi. I was totally overcome with emulsion when we scored the winner. After 10 years of nearly getting back to the SC Final, it looked like more heartbreak when Shearer equalised. #scenes

I was on a freebie with another Jambo pal at ER that day too (a shocker of a 0-0 draw with Motherwell). Gave my wife my ticket for Ibronx and I've never taken a freebie to be a "neutral" since when a Hearts game is on at same time!

Anyway, my high was the SC semi. I was totally overcome with emulsion when we scored the winner. After 10 years of nearly getting back to the SC Final, it looked like more heartbreak when Shearer equalised. #scenes

Ian Black next to you?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

We weren't kept behind after that game, everyone let out together. the huns weren't happy, easy to spot the hearts fans.

Apart from magic, Pointon was class that day, too. Rousset also made an excellent save from laudrup at 0-0.

Skippy Doodle

I say we could have won the Cup of Gary Locke hadn't been injured.[/quot

It certainly didn't help as we had no ready replacement (back in the day of 3 subs) but Rangers were on fire that day and would have won regardless IMO

Sandy Clark

Many obvious games will be covered like the semi v Aberdeen where the police were horrendous and we finally broke our duck.....the hard way of course.

During the cup run the away game at Kilmarnock sticks out for me. Massive support which meant we had to get extra tickets in the Kilmarnock end (stand to the left from where away fans sit) and the atmosphere at times was superb. 'There's only one Berry'

Alsp notable was a late comback at Aberdeen and of course welcome aboard Colin Cameron.

Easy to claim, I know, but when I read on teletext that JJ had changed his mind and would leave Falkirk I knew that we'd win silverware.

We had a reasonable start to the season but the failings of the previous few years soon kicked in. It took the Bruno/Roussett signings to change it. Recall a credible 1-1 draw at Starks Park with 9 men, a late comeback win at Aberdeen and a 4-0 v. Motherwell around the turn of the year which led up to the 3-0 at Ibrox.

There was still the odd poor result, a derby defeat and 2-5 v. Partick but the Cup run maintained, for me, a long absent feelgood factor and another Hampden semi.

The inevitability of Aberdeen's equaliser was as expected as Allan Johnston's winner wasn't.

Mates and I didn't realise until the FT celebrations that Craig Levein and Stevie Frail were sitting a few rows behind us. They were as chuffed as the rest of us.

Had high hopes for the final after successive wins v. Rangers but, despite the 5-1 defeat, I didn't feel at all despondent. I felt, at the time, it was a stepping stone/learning curve for that terrific team JJ was building.

Buffalo Bill

I'm a big fan of 95/96 for several reasons. For one, it was an enjoyable season in its own right. There were loads of great games and some terrific results, including two great wins over a vintage Rangers side. Secondly, it was a campaign that came after some miserable years for the club, starting with the collapse of the 91/92 season in the January. And thirdly, because the seeds of May 16th 1998 were sown in 95/96, with the signings of Rousset, Fulton and Cameron, as well as the emergence of Paul Ritchie.

Buffalo Bill

Many obvious games will be covered like the semi v Aberdeen where the police were horrendous and we finally broke our duck.....the hard way of course.

During the cup run the away game at Kilmarnock sticks out for me. Massive support which meant we had to get extra tickets in the Kilmarnock end (stand to the left from where away fans sit) and the atmosphere at times was superb. 'There's only one Berry'

Alsp notable was a late comback at Aberdeen and of course welcome aboard Colin Cameron.

I was down at Killie that day. Hearts fans were immense. I think we had about six or seven thousand down there.

Incredibly, the semi final was our first ever Scottish Cup win over Aberdeen.

Skippy Doodle

I remember that comeback at pittodrie being main sport scene game that night and was catalyst for JC getting a run up top

Silvery_Moon

Was a memorable season. After a promising start under Jim Jeffries the failings of the previous seasons soon started to take hold and after a defeat at Brockville (Rousset's first match?) we found ourselves at the bottom of the league. Bruno arrived soon after and the team started to kick on.

I remember the Neil Berry cup game at Killie well. He wasn't having his best game before popping up with the winner. Other notable wins for me were a 4-0 win v Motherwell at Tynie when Alan Johnstone scored two great goals. We also beat Falkirk 2-1 just after with Fulton scoring a great goal to win it.

Derbies were even steven that season but loved the late Robbo equaliser in a 2-2 draw at ER (it ain't over till the fat striker scores) and a rousing 2-1 win over them at Tynecastle.

The Rangers wins have already been mentioned.

Frustrations that season were two Aberdeen wins at Tynecastle (we won and drew at Pittodrie), a 5-2 reverse at home to Partick Thistle as well as losing the New Year derby.

I used to have a few matches from this season on YouTube (p0ab2).

would I be right thinking this was the season "it aint over till the fat striker scores " ??

Skippy Doodle

would I be right thinking this was the season "it aint over till the fat striker scores " ??[/quote

100% right

I remember taking a 20 quid bet with a Hibby mate on a night out in November 95 that we'd overturn the 14 points we were behind them at the time. Hearts had just got into form under JJ and there was real belief we were going to return as a force.

We'd already lost 6 out of our opening 10 league matches up to October and only lost as much in the next 28.

We finished 12 points ahead of the vermin in joint 3rd place. A 26 point turnaround.

Good memories of the support coming back in big numbers for away games. 6000 up at Dens for that midweek 4-4 cup match and the same amount through at Killie on the way to the Big Cup Final a few months later.

Sandy Clark

I was down at Killie that day. Hearts fans were immense. I think we had about six or seven thousand down there.

Incredibly, the semi final was our first ever Scottish Cup win over Aberdeen.

As crazy as it may seem the support was in numbers and volume that day.

Didn't realise that was our first over Aberdeen. Should have beaten them in 85. Darn you Eric Black.

Sandy Clark

I remember that comeback at pittodrie being main sport scene game that night and was catalyst for JC getting a run up top

Which explains why Robbo didn't start in the cup final.

Prince Buaben

The badge cut into the pitch.

This was my first season. First game was v Alloa. 

I remember we went to falkirk and it was Roussets debut and i am sure we went bottom of the league after losing that game. 

kingantti1874

I remember taking a 20 quid bet with a Hibby mate on a night out in November 95 that we'd overturn the 14 points we were behind them at the time. Hearts had just got into form under JJ and there was real belief we were going to return as a force.

We'd already lost 6 out of our opening 10 league matches up to October and only lost as much in the next 28.

We finished 12 points ahead of the vermin in joint 3rd place. A 26 point turnaround.

Good memories of the support coming back in big numbers for away games. 6000 up at Dens for that midweek 4-4 cup match and the same amount through at Killie on the way to the Big Cup Final a few months later.

I think that Dundee match changed the season.. Henry Smith missed a pen in the shootout didn't he

Buffalo Bill

Henry Smith missed a pen in the shootout didn't he

He did. It was his last game for the club. 

...and I think the ball ended up in Tannadice ;)

Carl Fredrickson

The skyblue and white away top with the maroon candy stripes. Loved that strip.

As mentioned, the cup game at Killie, p!ssing down with rain and the Hearts fans in fine voice. Listening to a recorded interview with Rousset on the way home in the car he was struggling to be heard as so many of us stayed behind and sung for ages. I was near the front of the stand opposite the main stand and I was soaked right through. 

Bruno, Rousset, Disa, Lawrence....CAMERON - some great signings. It was a shame that Cameron was cup tied as he could have made a difference in the final.

The introduction or re-introduction (damn you McLean) of youngsters like Magic, Locke, McManus (did very well in a back 3 up until Aberdeen ripped us to bits) and Ritchie. 

An away game at Raith where we wore a white away top with maroon trim which I think was a one off but was very smart. 

A general feeling of belief as JJ had us playing great attacking football. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Drinking a pint of Strongbow to celebrate their money funding the retention of Gilles Rousset. It was bloody minging!

Other than that, a fun filled season after hitting rock bottom at Brockville. Favourite games included the November derby with John Millar scoring, destroying ye olde Rangers twice, the second at Tynie with Colin Cameron making his debut, a dreadful semi with an incredible finish and Pasquale Bruno just being the epitome of cool.

Skippy Doodle

Last shout for some more memories for Wednesday show. It will be available to listen to and download on Wednesday evening

Hopefully everyone has been able to detect better sound quality in last 3 shows compared to last interview

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Jefferies was coming then he wasn't then he appeared came back from 3 down at Derby, started the season awful, bottom at Falkirk Winnie at left back but Rousset debuts things pick up, come from behind win at Pittodrie, Eskilson at Easter Road :facepalm: Magic at Ibrox, 2 5 at home to Partick :wtf: Locke screamer at Falkirk, emotional roller coaster at Hampden, tears turn to joy, Mickey signs Rangers beaten the cup final disaster for Locke, then Rousset, good times on the way.

That was 95 96 :)

queensferryjambo

It was a really great season with all the highlights being spoken about in other posts.

Weirdly for me the things I remember most were the crap things -

The horrendous Scottish Cup final sitting next to the most optimistic / annoying / insane Hearts fan on Earth still talking about the fightback that was to come (at 5-1 down).

A guy having a heart attack in front of us in the semi final (when Shearer equalised with a few minutes to go) and not even celebrating when Alan Johnston scored in the last minute as there was a guy dying in front of us (he lived by the way).

Oh and Hearts getting extra tickets for the Kilmarnock Scottish cup game and us having to sit in a Hearts section (in the Kilmarnock end) with little or no segregation and a total Kilmarnock tramp spitting over at us during the whole game with the stewards letting him do it. 15+ thousand at that game. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Also a great come from behind 2-1 win at Pittodrie, the first time we'd won from behind in the league for about four years.

Geoff Kilpatrick

JJ's ability to move on dross like Hagen and Hamilton and replace with the likes of Fulton and Pointon was incredible. We beasted Falkirk that year! :laugh:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Other randon thought: Who remembers Paul Smith?

Overweight by the time he got to us. Good player for Dunfermline and Falkirk if I remember.

Nipper Lawrence was a great signing though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Fantastic times. Started with Derby away pre-season :lol:

Bouncers smuggled us out of a night club before we got a hiding minding our own business. Some decent folk amongst vermin

Buffalo Bill

I remember the Jim Jefferies/is he/isn't he saga. When he announced he was staying at Falkirk, you could tell his heart wasn't in it and looked visibly upset, having been talked into staying by George Fulston, who had the cheek to claim that Falkirk were a bigger club than Hearts!  

That was the Saturday. By the Monday, he was the new Hearts manager.

Say What Again

Was a memorable season. After a promising start under Jim Jeffries the failings of the previous seasons soon started to take hold and after a defeat at Brockville (Rousset's first match?).

Was going to say the same in response to the first reply in the thread. I would have said Roussets first game was at Brockville. I might even take a stab at we lost 1-0 to a davie Weir goal.

Seem to recall the rumours spreading that this new keeper was about 8ft tall :lol: as everyone you spoke to he got bigger and bigger.

queensferryjambo

Other randon thought: Who remembers Paul Smith?

He was a Hearts supporter as well wasn't he?

Seem to remember being more disappointed in him because he claimed to be a big fan as I thought that would have given him a bit more of a get up and go approach to his time at Hearts.

millerjames398

Was going to say the same in response to the first reply in the thread. I would have said Roussets first game was at Brockville. I might even take a stab at we lost 1-0 to a davie Weir goal.

Seem to recall the rumours spreading that this new keeper was about 8ft tall [emoji38] as everyone you spoke to he got bigger and bigger.

It was 2-0 mo Johnstone scored their 2nd goal...always happens to us lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

michael_bolton

Killie away in the cup remains one of my favourite games ever. Incredible noise. Great times.

When we got horsed 2-5 from Partick Thistle (one of Paul Smith's less distinguished games in a maroon jersey!), I was sat in the main stand alongside the Swedish Hans Eskillson Fan club, who spent the whole game chanting 'Esky, Esky' and were ultimately rewarded with a consolation goal from their hero. Both Eskillson's goals for Hearts came in separate matches versus Thistle.

Archived