Learning German

Rick James

Rick James

So, it's been on my to do list for a while. I studied it at school for 4 years, and was pretty good. I still know a fair few essentials in German but not enough to hold a conversation.

So, I'm looking to study it again. Where do I start? Don't really feel I've got the time to study it on my own accord, but are language courses expensive? Help please KB.

Stephane Grappelli

Edinburgh Uni do good language classes for all different levels. I think the teachers are always native speakers too. Look up Edinburgh Uni IALS.

There are also other language schools around the city which might be a bit cheaper.

You could also advertise on somewhere like Gumtree to do a language exchange with a German speaker. They help with your German and they can practise English with you.

Rick James

Edinburgh Uni do good language classes for all different levels. I think the teachers are always native speakers too. Look up Edinburgh Uni IALS.

There are also other language schools around the city which might be a bit cheaper.

You could also advertise on somewhere like Gumtree to do a language exchange with a German speaker. They help with your German and they can practise English with you.

Edinburgh uni seems a great shout.

been here before

I've learned all the German I know from British WWII films from the 40s/50s/60s. John Mills in particular...

Hande hoch.

Nicht shooten Kamerade

For you Tommy ze var is over

Escape is verboten.

That sort of thing.

I've learned all the German I know from British WWII films from the 40s/50s/60s. John Mills in particular...

Hande hoch.

Nicht shooten Kamerade

Escape is verboten.

That sort of thing.

you missed vat iz your name

I need to do the same. Mine is strong enough to hold a half arsed conversation with one, maybe two people at a time but more than that and my head hurts. The fact that the kids are translating some stuff for me now is the kick up the arse I need.

The problem I have is trying to work out what level I am. I'm certainly not begginer but I don't think I'm intermediate either.

Bungalow Bill

So, it's been on my to do list for a while. I studied it at school for 4 years, and was pretty good. I still know a fair few essentials in German but not enough to hold a conversation.

So, I'm looking to study it again. Where do I start? Don't really feel I've got the time to study it on my own accord, but are language courses expensive? Help please KB.

Podcasts are good for lessons and mostly free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got most of mine from German 'arthouse' movies!

AlimOzturk

Duolingo was how I started. Fantastic app.

It certainly is

My French has went from pish to half pish in a couple of months.

H1B5 Owner

Assuming he covered German, Michel Thomas cd courses are good. Working through the Italian version. Rapidly builds a good understanding of the framework of the language. Cheap loan from the local library if you don't want to buy outright.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rick James

I need to do the same. Mine is strong enough to hold a half arsed conversation with one, maybe two people at a time but more than that and my head hurts. The fact that the kids are translating some stuff for me now is the kick up the arse I need.

The problem I have is trying to work out what level I am. I'm certainly not begginer but I don't think I'm intermediate either.

I'm gonna get started from beginner courses. Just to let it all sink in again.

Few good shouts on here. Downloaded Duolingo app last night and had a look at Uni courses. Although none upcoming. Might give uni a phone.

Bowmans_Boot

In my opinion, you are better going for a lower standard, building up your comfidence and skills whilst doing so rather than only understanding 60-70% of what is being said.

Classes are good but the only way I really learned Spanish was by living with a native speaker and speaking it all of the time. So try to speak (& think) in the language as much as possible.

Maroon Sailor

I know a little German

Little+German+image+Thumbs+up.jpg

Got most of mine from German 'arthouse' movies!

"Watersports"references are no use whatsoever in conversational German.

Remember that the most important sentence you can ever remember in any language is "I play football with my brother".

Hande hoch.

Nicht shooten Kamerade

Escape is verboten.

That sort of thing.

Achtung Granad!

Thunderstruck

Remember that the most important sentence you can ever remember in any language is "I play football with my brother".

Or "my friend will pay".

Selkirk_Jambo

Duolingo and the other language apps can help improve your vocab and that but, like other have said before, you won't truly learn the language unless you are using it on a daily basis.  I was here in Germany for 3 years before I started really learning German because everything in my life was in English. Work, girlfriend, circle of friends, I never had any real need for German and it showed.

Now, I work for a German company where the company language is still German (unusual in the online game), I speak German at home with my new girlfriend and generally don't find myself in any situations where I don't understand what's being said or am unable to put my point of view across. It was really necessity that sparked the will to learn and the only way that worked was to completely immerse myself in the language. Reading every email that came through, taking every opportunity to speak it, watching German TV for hours on end. It's a fairly painful process but eventually you start to see light at the end of the tunnel.

But, as a start, defintely sign yourself up for a language course. There are lots of grammatical rules you need to learn in German and it's best to learn how to use them early and from a professional. Or just get a German (or German speaking) bursds. Both good.

Duolingo and the other language apps can help improve your vocab and that but, like other have said before, you won't truly learn the language unless you are using it on a daily basis. I was here in Germany for 3 years before I started really learning German because everything in my life was in English. Work, girlfriend, circle of friends, I never had any real need for German and it showed.

Now, I work for a German company where the company language is still German (unusual in the online game), I speak German at home with my new girlfriend and generally don't find myself in any situations where I don't understand what's being said or am unable to put my point of view across. It was really necessity that sparked the will to learn and the only way that worked was to completely immerse myself in the language. Reading every email that came through, taking every opportunity to speak it, watching German TV for hours on end. It's a fairly painful process but eventually you start to see light at the end of the tunnel.

But, as a start, defintely sign yourself up for a language course. There are lots of grammatical rules you need to learn in German and it's best to learn how to use them early and from a professional. Or just get a German (or German speaking) bursds. Both good.

I agree regarding duolingo improving vocabulary. Unfortunately, my vocabulary isn't so much of an issue now, it's grammatical rules that have me scuppered. I've tried to look at online stuff for that but they keep on using grammatical terms like past participles and all that. I don't even know what that is in English and I bloody aced the damn thing!

I definitely need to do a proper class with a proper teacher.

Translate that into Chinese and you could end up with: I play football with my penis. Depends what type of impression you're trying to give, I guess.

:)

:rofl:

You could learn alot from German adult films.

Many a classic such as

Yahhh das ist good

Komme im meine haarige f?tze!

robroy1874

Donner und Blitzen - Englander fliegen!!!  Extremely useful if arriving on BA

luckyBatistuta

Hande hoch.

Nicht shooten Kamerade

Escape is verboten.

That sort of thing.

Mines was the wee Commando books....

Schnell!!!,

Die Tommy Englander!!!,

Gott im Himmel!!!

Archived