Neilson - the player

Salvator

What are people's recollections of Robbie Neilson's playing career. I always seem to recall him being a target for the boo boys but it'd be good to hear what other people thought of his time on the pitch

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlimOzturk

Solid and dependable. Won the Scottish cup, last ditch tackle and scored a pen. Many great years and many different managers thought he was good enough.

Could do with his like in the team right now.

I'd call him dependable. He wasn't anything special but he did his job.

That tackle though.....

jamtartan74

Loved him, one of my favourite players. His passion and fight is sorely missed at this present time, oh and what a tackle [emoji39] his goal saving clearance wasn't bad either [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooperstar

A solid and reliable right back. Never the best player but not someone you ever had any concerns about. I liked him. His long throw ins were shite.

I liked him.

Not as talented as many players but solid and more consistent.

Didn't bomb forward but supported attacks reasonably well.

Often criticised for being slow.

invernessjt

My recollections are

Great tackle in cup final

Winning goal v Basel in Europe

Good at long throw-ins

Captain Lithuania

He was our Lewis Stevenson. Not great technically but had the fitness and the awareness and commitment to be a mainstay for years.

rudi must stay

Very limited full back who struggled against good wingers and didn't do much going forward. Far better manager than he was a player

He wasn't brilliant, but decent enough, which is why perhaps several managers in his time here picked him.

Nookie Bear

Decent full back, maybe not the best offensively but his positional sense was excellent.

We have seen since he left how difficult it is to get a good right back.

buzzbomb1958

Robbie played for the jersey,I paid my money and he earned it 100% every game enough said

You are right he was a target for the boo boys. No idea why as he turned up, never hid and was a decent full back. I liked him.

His testimonial was one of the better attended Hearts testimonials I've been to. Solid and reliable probably the most appropriate description.

the big show

Robbie played for the jersey,I paid my money and he earned it 100% every game enough said

SPOT ON ...  one thing you could never fault him was his effort for Hearts ... 

What are people's recollections of Robbie Neilson's playing career. I always seem to recall him being a target for the boo boys but it'd be good to hear what other people thought of his time on the pitch

A long throw in expert.

Mid Calder Jambo

Journeyman.

Just what we could do with now. 

I'd take 11 journeymen/Robbie Neilsons over foreign/young/untried/looking to make his mark by using Hearts type players.  Last time we had 11 journeyman McDonald and Jardine were in charge and look what happened then

Салатные палочки

That tackle.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

I'd take 11 journeymen/Robbie Neilsons over foreign/young/untried/looking to make his mark by using Hearts type players. Last time we had 11 journeyman McDonald and Jardine were in charge and look what happened then

I agree with you. It was just a joke regarding the definition of journeyman. Have a look on the Berra thread. :)

I'd take 11 journeymen/Robbie Neilsons over foreign/young/untried/looking to make his mark by using Hearts type players. Last time we had 11 journeyman McDonald and Jardine were in charge and look what happened then

We had a good balance of youth and experience in those days albeit nothing in-between. Still rattled a few cages though and we dominated the derbies.

A solid and reliable right back. Never the best player but not someone you ever had any concerns about. I liked him. His long throw ins were shite.

Agreed. Whenever a thread appeared about him I always challenged the contributors to name (from outside the unaffordable players of the OF) which SPL right back they'd replace him with. Nobody ever gave a suggestion. Robbie did what you should want your RB to do, and did it very well.

been here before

No frills, solid and got the job done. Bit like his management style.

Fraggle1990

Slower than a week in the jail.

I remember being through at rugby park and he was around the 18 yard line ushering the ball out of play and Danny Invicible was around halfway line and still beat him to the ball.

cosanostra

6 or 7 out of 10 every week.

Never an 8 or 9, but likewise never a 4 or 5.

Pretty much how i saw him.

He played for us for 10 years from youth until towards the end of his career so he clearly wasn't a journeyman when he played for us.

Thought Police

Was a key part of the best hearts team in the last 25 years. Member of a strong core including Gordon, Elvis and Hartley.

Can't imagine there'll be any player soon who'll earn a 10 year testimonial.

That tackle.

Didn't rate him as a player at all. Had a great career considering how limited he was.

This.

All forgiven for that tackle and the goal in Basle though. 

allystrachan

Always liked him as a player.

I also remember he'd love a Robbie rocket shot from the edge of the box. 9 times out of 10 they would be no where near the goals though.

he would stroll into our team right now.

Not the best in terms of technique but made up for it with his work rate and commitment. Dependable. Don't remember him ever having a howler.

mahgrassyshoes

I always felt his best position was right mid.

::troll:::'>

Buffalo Bill

He was no Cafu but gave us a 100% in every game. Good enough for me, but never enough for the boo boys.

Ibrahim Tall

Steady 7/10 every week. Barely ever ****ed up but was never a standout either but was dependable and gave his all every game.

To be honest we could do with a couple RN just now.

Very limited full back who struggled against good wingers and didn't do much going forward. Far better manager than he was a player

Yeah this for me too. He always gave 100% and was a great servant for the club, but a very average player.

The goal v Basle & tackle and pen v Gretna were great though.

Reliable, dependable, knew the club very well, "the tackle", "the penalty" and "that goal".

Got great leadership experience from Pressley as his Captain which clearly came in handy as our on the pitch leader during a series of unstable periods when he was captain.

PHM.

Neilson certainly got pelters on here when he played. Can only assume those welts are the same that gave him pelters when he was our boss.

LogicalEric

Was always a target for abuse where I sat in the main stand. Always thought he made up for his shortcomings with his work rate and determination. His goal against Basel is probably up there with my favourite moments as a fan.

A yard short of pace....had he had that he would have been a very decent full back

He made the most of what he had and that's all you can ask.

Holyrood_Hearts

Good dependable player. Much better defending than he was going forward.

Used to get annoyed when Maybury was punted over to LB!

Solid but unspectacular, essential characteristics at this level. The Basel game stick out, probably one of his best games. Someone had actually made a compilation of Robbies best moments - goal line clearances etc, great watch and IMO highlights how underrated he was for us.

Was thinking Liam Smith has started to show he can play, kinda hoping he could be one of those players that never play above this level BUT help build continuity across the team.I'd initially wrote him off but towards the end of this season he was beginning to come good.

Solid right back but slow. Brilliant throw in.

Was pretty gash first time round when we started playing him but was still young. Went on loan to QoS and came back a far better player, never looked back after that.

IMO Smith is a lot better now than I recall Neilson being at a similar age

Neilson's Shank

Maximised minimum talent with application and energy. Hearts fans will tolerate minimum talent as long 100% is given in every game and Robbie did that everytime he put on the jersey.

Back of the Bus

King of the shy.

Gave everything, always.

Shan distribution at times.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Maximised minimum talent with application and energy. Hearts fans will tolerate minimum talent as long 100% is given in every game and Robbie did that everytime he put on the jersey.

This. Had plently of poor players over the years which can be looked back on fondly because of the effort they put in. Probably what made this season so sour. Reasonably talented players with no application.

Archived