Favourite (neutral) Scottish Cup final?

WhenTheHeartsWentUp

WhenTheHeartsWentUp

The Scottish Cup final on Saturday, and I for one cannot wait for Celtic to stroll to their treble. :uhoh2:

Taking Hearts out of the equation for a minute, what's the best Scottish Cup final you've ever watched? Mine would have to be either the Motherwell 4-3 United final in the early 1990s, the United 1-0 Rangers final a few years later, or any of the finals where Hibs lost.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2 early 2000's when they were packed with good players.  Neil McCann as exceptional that day.

Motherwell 4 Dundee Utd 3 was good too.  The Family Final(?)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

91 and 02 were classics but already mentioned. 88 was exciting with two late Celtic goals. Rangers v QoS was good too. Also, last year was dramatic to watch even though there was nothing to cheer.

Bridge of Djoum

Dundee United Rangers for me. Really good game, bizarre goal, right result.

Same for me. It's the first Scottish cup final I really remember (I was 8) and I'm almost certain I watched it down south at my grandma's, presumably the FA cup final was a different weekend. Forgot how weird the goal was until you mentioned it, just watched it again on YouTube!

Maroon Sailor

Had Utd 1-0 with Brewster first scorer

Scored from 2 inches

Say What Again

Had Utd 1-0 with Brewster first scorer

For similar reasons my favourite non Hearts final would be 2013.

Had a fiver on Hooper first goal and Celtic 3 Hibs 0

:sweeet:

Ryan Jarman

Old Rangers Vs QotS was pretty good, minus the final result. Thought it was over at 2 nil and then within 3 mins or so it was 2-2. 

Rick James

Can only vaguely remember the final in 02.

Other than that, every other final has been pretty guff unless Hearts have been involved.

Bowmans_Boot

For similar reasons my favourite non Hearts final would be 2013.

Had a fiver on Hooper first goal and Celtic 3 Hibs 0

:sweeet:

Same final, different reasons for me.

I had a horrible feeling that Hibs were going to win that one and totally dreaded the final.... Was pretty delighted at FT, though!!

Салатные палочки

Celtic v United in 1988 forever sticks in my memory as we got a new TV that morning and the green of the grass and orange of the United kits amazed me.  Until then I thought everything on TV was a shade of pink.  

Motherwell v United I watched with my old man but I fell asleep in the first half and woke up when they were getting presented the cup.  My dad just said "ye missed a good yin there son".  

96-97 the game itself wasn't good but it looked like a good day and probably the first "family" kind of cup final I had witnessed.  My dad, a bit worse for wear with the drink that night said "that will be us one day" 

'02 had everything, hatred between two detestable teams, some great goals and players and a dramatic winner. 

Special mention for 1990, one of only two cup finals to go to penalties.  We all know how the other one ended   :2thumbsup:

Gene Parmesan

Good thread. I thought this game was incredible, and probably the best Scottish Cup final I've watched from a neutral POV.

millerjames398

Motherwell v Dundee Utd in 91 my boys club got tickets for us to go,classic for the neutral.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Maroon Sailor

Remember 88 really clearly. Kevin Gallagher scored a screamer

That should have been us v Dundee Utd. Found it a hard lead up to that final.

Harry Potter

For me the Motherwell 4-3 Dundee United game. That was some final.

This one for me.

I can't really remember any non hearts finals other than 2013.

I can't really say I like it either. Hibs got beat which is always pleasing but Celtic winning is never good.

As others have said the '02 final was a cracker. I don't care who wins Celtic/Rangers finals but recall being miffed that Rangers won it late on. I was looking forward to another half hour.

The 1982 final was great. Watched it with a mix of Hearts/Hibs fans from school and one blue nose. Aberdeen ran riot in extra time and won 4-1.

Bowmans_Boot

I can't really remember any non hearts finals other than 2013.

I can't really say I like it either. Hibs got beat which is always pleasing but Celtic winning is never good.

When they are playing Hibs in a cup final, Celtic winning is very, very good!!

When they are playing Hibs in a cup final, Celtic winning is very, very good!!

Oh I don't dispute that. Anyone but hibs.

I hate Celtic though. Really, really hate them.

Ryan Jarman

Finals between Hibs & Celtic or Sevco are the worst. Like asking what bollock you want lobbed off. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Has to be 1980. Scottish football in a nutshell, because of the way things are. Events from around 530 showed them for what they are

Like others I'd have to go for the Well v Utd final. What a fabulous game, Scottish football at its best IMO.

It had absolutely everything including a nasty injury for Ally Maxwell in the days before Sub goalies.

Buffalo Bill

When I was a kid in the 80s, you had both STV (Jock Brown) and BBC (Archie MacPherson) showing the final live.

The first one I remember was 1980, and the riot that followed.

I enjoyed watching them all. Very rarely saw a poor game.

The Treasurer

Back in the day we used to head down to Berwick to watch the English final (this was in the days before Sky TV kids).

always a great day out regardless of who was playing

Had no interest in the Scottish final if we weren't involved. Nothing has really changed as I still very rarely watch the SC final.

First one I remember watching is 1982 when Aberdeen spanked Rangers. And I agree with everyone that 1991 and 2002 are the standout finals not involving us.

millerjames398

Like others I'd have to go for the Well v Utd final. What a fabulous game, Scottish football at its best IMO.

It had absolutely everything including a nasty injury for Ally Maxwell in the days before Sub goalies.

Maxwell played brilliantly with that injury,think he cracked a few ribs,great game.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jamboelite

Yup didnt Maxwell break ribs in that game or have i just made that up.

Edit just saw someone say the same thing.

Салатные палочки

My dad used to play at most of the cup finals (and Scotland games) with the pipe band in the 80's and me and my sister would sit in front of the telly trying to spot him amongst hundreds.  They used to allow the bands to sit at the access ramp at the Celtic end and watch the games for free.  Most of the time they would have bottles of whisky or wine decanted into coffee cups from inside someones drum case.  I think it might have been the 1984 cup final where the lead drummer of their particular band suggested red white and blue flashes and hackles as he knew they would be sitting next to the Celtic fans.  That idea was quickly shot down.  

Aberdeen 4 Rangers 1 after extra time.

Think it was 1/1 after 90 mins.

Think McLeish scored a screamer into the top corner.

Cooper got the last,ran through for an open goal.

There was another Aberdeen and Rangers final in which Rangers won but my main memory was Peter McCloy hanging from the bar after Aberdeen scored.

https://youtu.be/trgxUaU9QIw

https://youtu.be/zQhNbjRHWak

Agreed.

We were at that one as my mum won tickets in a Daily Record competition.

Fantastic game and I think one of Tom Boyds last games for Well before his move to the demons?

Have some positive, if vague memories of 1970, when Joe Harper ended a period of Celtic supremacy, I think. Can't even remember the score tho ...

Also 1973, Rangers 3 Celtic 2, odd but dramatic winning goal by Tam Forsyth

This was the one that immediately sprang to mind as soon as I saw the thread title.

Brilliant game, that had even the neutral on the edge of their seat.

Riccarton3

Any one where Aberdeen pumped the Glasgow teams. Probably 1-0 against Rangers where Miller is doing a lap of honour with the Cup and Ferguson is slaughtering the players for only beating Rangers RIP, by 1 goal.

Has to be that one.

If there's a final not involving Hearts but involving Hibs, Celtic or Rangers, then I wouldn't exactly call myself a neutral.

I was at the St Johnstone v Dundee Utd final a few years ago - good laugh.

Coincidentally won a signed Sainties top in a raffle recently. It's just kind of lying at there ...

Agreed.

We were at that one as my mum won tickets in a Daily Record competition.

Fantastic game and I think one of Tom Boyds last games for Well before his move to the demons?[/quote coming from Lanarkshire i was also at this one with my mates . I was so happy for them and wished it was us . The same guys were delighted for me in 1998

Craig Gordons Gloves

Dundee Utd 1 Rangers 0 in 94 - i was living in Dundee at the time and working in a local old mans pub - many Utd fans drank there and the party that night was quite something.  All the Dundee fans were loving it too.  One of the boys that drank in there sponsored Craig Brewster so there were all sorts of rumours that he would appear.  He never did but he and Billy McKinlay came in on another night.  We locked the doors at 1am and i finished working at 4.30!!

queensferryjambo

2016 had everything. 2 lower division sides both punching above their weights to get to a cup final. Pitch invasions, fighting, vandalism to the pitch, stadium and goal posts - the LOT. The over exuberance for all to see being a great advert for our game and all endorsed by the SFA afterwards as well. ;)

Joking aside for anyone who watched the 4-3 Motherwell vs Dundee Utd game I think it is hard to pick a more exciting and interesting game the way it played out.

Same for me. It's the first Scottish cup final I really remember (I was 8) and I'm almost certain I watched it down south at my grandma's, presumably the FA cup final was a different weekend. Forgot how weird the goal was until you mentioned it, just watched it again on YouTube!

My last day out with my dad before he passed away...watched it Clark's bar first half, lochrin second half..Ivan Golac..... Great rangers team then made the win more sweet...smashing

Celtic pumping Hibs 6-1 was amusing.

One of my first memories of watching football on colour TV.....ah.Radio rental

I had 3-0 Celtic

And Bayern 2-1 Dortmund

Low stakes but a nice wee win

Toxteth O'Grady

One of my first memories of watching football on colour TV.....ah.Radio rental

aye it was all rented telllies in those days

I used to always watch the cup final, preceded by Glen Michael's cavalcade. :)

I haven't watched since 2012.

Archived