Clearing the decks

Five to One

You may well be correct but did you really expect him to say that and demotivate certain players?

I'm just surprised fans still seem to take literally what a manager says as the truth.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just surprised fans still seem to take literally what a manager says as the truth.

You are correct but sometimes they say things that could be right at the time like politicians who say "I have no plans to raise taxes" - then next week, lo and behold.

Saying four players will join us will be correct so long as a minimum of four players join. Now, if he'd said only four players will join...

Exactly but it is worth pointing out that he said "I think", so that if 2 he thought might sign don't so then by just signing the other 2 doesn't equate to a false statement.  It could also mean he has approached 10 players and he thinks 4 will sign but he's maybe less sure about the rest.

socrates82

I think we'll see more youngsters given a chance from next season onwards, so less need to pad out the squad by signing potential benchwarmers.

the big show

Exactly but it is worth pointing out that he said "I think", so that if 2 he thought might sign don't so then by just signing the other 2 doesn't equate to a false statement.  It could also mean he has approached 10 players and he thinks 4 will sign but he's maybe less sure about the rest.

AYE but Robbie said we would sign " quality over quantity " hmmm well ... And he said it so don't ask for me to show you the quote , And as for your defence of what Cathro said , well your excuses .. i can deffo Smell keek .... " i think " your taking it a wee bit to far with your defence it is actually quite cringe ... Stubbs was lambasted on here for making cuckoo quotes like that and here you are defending Cathro .. :uhoh2:

AYE but Robbie said we would sign " quality over quantity " hmmm well ... And he said it so don't ask for me to show you the quote , And as for your defence of what Cathro said , well your excuses .. i can deffo Smell keek .... " i think " your taking it a wee bit to far with your defence it is actually quite cringe ... Stubbs was lambasted on here for making cuckoo quotes like that and here you are defending Cathro .. :uhoh2:

Why does Cathro need defending?  If you're stupid enough to interpret a quote in as negative a way as possible that's your problem and going by your post, it's not the only problem you've got.

Cruyff Turn

I'll help him out. Cathro is clearly talking shite in that interview as 4 players is nowhere near enough given the cull that is taking place.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39890687

After the January upheaval, Cathro anticipates a more manageable transfer process during the summer.

"I think four players will join us," he said. "The summer window is very different to the January window, partly because you have more time.

Deffo downplaying things.

We 100% need a LB, RB, ST absolute barely minimum. Plus Berra who has already signed so there's the 4.

I'd say a playmaker type midfield player and at least 1 wide player on top of that.

We'd be hoping for a GK too.

8 for a decent side next season but given the cull of players with the possibility of Nowak, McGhee, Oshaniwa, Buaben, Martin, Johnsen, Sammon, Reilly getting the leaving then maybe even 10-11 New players.

Who knows but it certainly isn't going to be 4. Can't be.

the big show

Why does Cathro need defending?  If you're stupid enough to interpret a quote in as negative a way as possible that's your problem and going by your post, it's not the only problem you've got.

JEEZ OH ... . :uhoh2:

the big show

A fantastic well thought out reply displaying deep insight.

AYE . just saying likes ..

Captain Canada

I think six have gone so far and King, Paterson and Nicholson are away too.

I'd imagine Kitchen, Djoum, Johnsen, Walker, Buaben, maybe Beith & Martin, Sammon, Reilly & McGhee may leave too?

This will be a massive rebuild again and I'd expect it to happen in the next few weeks.

jamboinglasgow

Reilly has been told to find another club. I think this may be the start of spending a high percentage of the budget on the first 11 andmaking more use of the academy as back-up.

Sounds about right if the club wants to be serious about bringing through youngsters. Add in if you have real talent in the first say 14 players of the squad then it makes it easier for young players to slot in among them.

Probably this plan is shown by Roy getting a 2 year deal as he is now too old for under 20s. Could see Moore and Morrison being fringe back ups for example.

Cut The Crap

It's hard to imagine the current chaos as being part of a cogent recruitment and squad building strategy. It looks like exactly the opposite to me.

It's hard to imagine the current chaos as being part of a cogent recruitment and squad building strategy. It looks like exactly the opposite to me.

I suspect it wasn't the original plan. But it's certainly the plan now. As other have said buy experience and suppliers with youth. It might just work!

I suspect it wasn't the original plan. But it's certainly the plan now. As other have said buy experience and suppliers with youth. It might just work!

We embarked on a 5 year plan and without a crystal ball one has to factor in "mights" and "maybes" which will require tweaking, adjustment or even scrapping as things move on.  Nothing can be set in concrete because we do not live in a vacuum.  Since January 2016 the quality of our football, apart from maybe half a dozen games, has not been pleasant on the eye and something had to be done.  It is being done.

We embarked on a 5 year plan and without a crystal ball one has to factor in "mights" and "maybes" which will require tweaking, adjustment or even scrapping as things move on. Nothing can be set in concrete because we do not live in a vacuum. Since January 2016 the quality of our football, apart from maybe half a dozen games, has not been pleasant on the eye and something had to be done. It is being done.

I think you've just retyped my post in a long winded way?

Although I'm not sure which 6 games since January have been pleasing on the eye?

We embarked on a 5 year plan and without a crystal ball one has to factor in "mights" and "maybes" which will require tweaking, adjustment or even scrapping as things move on.  Nothing can be set in concrete because we do not live in a vacuum.  Since January 2016 the quality of our football, apart from maybe half a dozen games, has not been pleasant on the eye and something had to be done.  It is being done.

That's how a "Happy Clapper" would spin it - us "Pantwetters" think Levein's plan was flawed from the start.

That's how a "Happy Clapper" would spin it - us "Pantwetters" think Levein's plan was flawed from the start.

And that's how a Hibby might interpret it.

If you are so smart could you please tell me the names of any other businesses/organisations that give a running commentary on their financial situation each time something changes.

Yes, definitely flawed from the start as we struggled to win the toughest Championship ever and followed that up with a terrible third place finish in the Premiership.

Absolutely shockingly flawed...

Yes, definitely flawed from the start as we struggled to win the toughest Championship ever and followed that up with a terrible third place finish in the Premiership.

Absolutely shockingly flawed...

And then the "Plan" fell to bits as it was destined to do ie FLAWED!

And that's how a Hibby might interpret it.

If you are so smart could you please tell me the names of any other businesses/organisations that give a running commentary on their financial situation each time something changes.

Is that so?  Very many Hearts fans interpret it that way.

As far your question - every chief executive of a PLC Company will provide a statement to their shareholders/stock market on any relevant financial changes to their business.  Not sure how that is relevant to my (and others) opinion on Levein's 5 year plan mind.

Bazzas right boot

Reilly has been told to find another club. I think this may be the start of spending a high percentage of the budget on the first 11 andmaking more use of the academy as back-up.

Yip, although I'd say first 15.

cosanostra

The plan fell apart because the current and previous managers signed so many terrible players.

Hard to believe that the guy who brought us Osman Sow also brought us Connor Sammon. :laugh:

I feel a bit sorry for Gavin Reilly. He's simply not been given a chance. We knew we were buying a 1st division player and he would need to develop. Yet he was loaned out and not appears he's gone, I cannot for a minute imagine he'd have been as bad as Johnsen.

In Cathro we've got a highly re pectin coach yet Ozturk was immediately binned and now we have Reilly getting the boot can we not 'coach' these players. Similar to Reilly, Ozturk was no worse than Avolontis and certainly better than Tziolis and Buaben at centre half!

I feel a bit sorry for Gavin Reilly. He's simply not been given a chance. We knew we were buying a 1st division player and he would need to develop. Yet he was loaned out and not appears he's gone, I cannot for a minute imagine he'd have been as bad as Johnsen.

In Cathro we've got a highly re pectin coach yet Ozturk was immediately binned and now we have Reilly getting the boot can we not 'coach' these players. Similar to Reilly, Ozturk was no worse than Avolontis and certainly better than Tziolis and Buaben at centre half!

I totally agree!   We paid ?100k for him did we not?

Cut The Crap

The notion of improving the players we bring in was a pillar of the strategy initially outlined to us by Levein. There hasn't been much sign of it though. Couple of bad games and players are unceremoniously dumped. Whatever happened to coaching?

Is that so?  Very many Hearts fans interpret it that way.

As far your question - every chief executive of a PLC Company will provide a statement to their shareholders/stock market on any relevant financial changes to their business.  Not sure how that is relevant to my (and others) opinion on Levein's 5 year plan mind.

Has a relevant financial change taken place?  If so, what is it?

You're not sure about very much when it comes to Hearts.

If he'd been banging them in for a mid-table Championship side, I'd see your point. But he's been struggling to make the starting XI.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back for the final year of his deal but it seems pretty clear he's not going to cut it.

Eh?????

:wtf:

You asked me -

"If you are so smart could you please tell me the names of any other business/organisations that give you a running commentary on their financial situation each time something changes"

I gave you the answer - I never suggested that a relevant financial change had taken place - it was YOUR question FFS!

the big show

:cornette:  AM .. Sure you are hard at it as nobody could be as ignorant or naive to a lot of the nonsense that has went on with the club or give defence line after defence line's in the way you have .. Don't know if your seeking attention but it's certainly not normal ..

And then the "Plan" fell to bits as it was destined to do ie FLAWED!

The 'plan' was two years in the Championship and then top six in the third season iirc.

We were ahead of schedule but have hit a bump that's been well documented on here.

You carry on with your unhealthy hatred of our DOF though...

If he'd been banging them in for a mid-table Championship side, I'd see your point. But he's been struggling to make the starting XI.

I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back for the final year of his deal but it seems pretty clear he's not going to cut it.

I get your point but he was a good player for QoS we had a duty to develop him. The club didn't do it the loan was the easy way out. He looked to have enough about him to develop into at least a good foil for the likes of Isma

The 'plan' was two years in the Championship and then top six in the third season iirc.

We were ahead of schedule but have hit a bump that's been well documented on here.

"Hit a bump"????   We hit a brick wall more like!

"unhealthy hatred"

:stupid:

"Hit a bump"????   We hit a brick wall more like!

"unhealthy hatred"

:stupid:

You think it's healthy then?

Each to their own I suppose.

You think it's healthy then?

Each to their own I suppose.

It's "healthy" to have a debate on the way the football side of our Club is currently being run by our D of F. 

Bowmans_Boot

I get your point but he was a good player for QoS we had a duty to develop him. The club didn't do it the loan was the easy way out. He looked to have enough about him to develop into at least a good foil for the likes of Isma

I agree with this and with your previous point about Reilly. I dont feel he has been given much of a chance and when he did play for us I was always impressed with his hunger and workrate.

I would have thought a young, hungry, hard working, eager to learn and develop woukd have been tailor made for Cathro.

Sometimes it appears that the "bring on and develop" young talent is just a statement with no substance behind it. If they are not immediately a success then we simply seek to get rid of them.

I wouldnt mind Reilly back as back up for next season.

Eh?????

:wtf:

You asked me -

"If you are so smart could you please tell me the names of any other business/organisations that give you a running commentary on their financial situation each time something changes"

I gave you the answer - I never suggested that a relevant financial change had taken place - it was YOUR question FFS!

I did ask the question after you intervened as though you were backing a previous poster.  Now that you're not I apologise.

I think you've just retyped my post in a long winded way?

Although I'm not sure which 6 games since January have been pleasing on the eye?

I'm not sure either.  That's why I typed "maybe half a dozen games"

bauld willie

I think bump is frankly miles off the mark.

The pain Cathro has put us through should qualify us all for a refund. It's certainly not been footbal on his journey to our worst manager ever.

I agree with this and with your previous point about Reilly. I dont feel he has been given much of a chance and when he did play for us I was always impressed with his hunger and workrate.

I would have thought a young, hungry, hard working, eager to learn and develop woukd have been tailor made for Cathro.

Sometimes it appears that the "bring on and develop" young talent is just a statement with no substance behind it. If they are not immediately a success then we simply seek to get rid of them.

I wouldnt mind Reilly back as back up for next season.

There was many sound bites when Levein announced his grand 5 year plan - "bring on and develop young players" was just one of them.

Others were that we would only bring in young players with a sell on value - I cannot think of one player that we have signed that we got significant money for - apart from one.

The other corner stone was that we would employ Head Coaches from within - that frayed at the edges at the first time of asking.

I think bump is frankly miles off the mark.

The pain Cathro has put us through should qualify us all for a refund. It's certainly not been footbal on his journey to our worst manager ever.

With guys like Berra Hughes and Gonclaves as the starting point for next season then Cathro at least has good pros who will work hard for the team and fans. He has to get more of these signings on board and as well as implement his own ideas these guys will also be vocal enough to help him.

Of course I say this in hope more then certainty but Berra is definitely a step in the right direction.

I did ask the question after you intervened as though you were backing a previous poster. Now that you're not I apologise.

I'm not sure either. That's why I typed "maybe half a dozen games"

If you can name me 3 I'd be shocked.

If you can name me 3 I'd be shocked.

There were 2 Rangers games and we humped Motherwell.

There were 2 Rangers games and we humped Motherwell.

Only ONE Rangers win since January.

Only ONE Rangers win since January.

Another smart arse butt in.

Go back and read where I said JANUARY 2016.

Another smart arse butt in.

Go back and read where I said JANUARY 2016.

Sorry  :lipsrsealed2:

Saying four players will join us will be correct so long as a minimum of four players join. Now, if he'd said only four players will join...

How about 4 players a week until july.

How about 4 players a week until july.

Would make training sessions tricky to manage.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Joe Hearts

Agree with this, he always looked to be giving 100% which is more than can be said for a lot of the imposters we've had this season.

Archived