Edinburgh Marathon

casper

Anybody doing the Edinburgh Marathon next week.

Will be my first marathon just a few weeks short of my 55th birthday.

Anybody done a marathon got any advice. Been training for it but still a bit worried about how hard it's going to be.

Jambothump

Seems a bit stupid as just short of 55 with a week to go you are asking for advice on this. Your preparation for this can't have been that great 

sunblestjambo

Seems a bit stupid as just short of 55 with a week to go you are asking for advice on this. Your preparation for this can't have been that great

Ooft... bit harsh!

Assuming the OP has done his prep and just looking for some last minute golden nuggets.

Good luck bud. Not running this year (I've started dabbling in sprint triathlons this year as I was a finding the longer runs harder to train for). I suspect you'll have heard it before but single best bits of advice I could give is start slow and enjoy yourself.

Not seen the weather forecasting for next week - hopefully it's good. At least with your first you should be good for a PB (:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jambothump

So why are you asking the question? whoops,sorry, missed that, you're attention seeking

Ooft... bit harsh!

Assuming the OP has done his prep and just looking for some last minute golden nuggets.

Good luck bud. Not running this year (I've started dabbling in sprint triathlons this year as I was a finding the longer runs harder to train for). I suspect you'll have heard it before but single best bits of advice I could give is start slow and enjoy yourself.

Not seen the weather forecasting for next week - hopefully it's good. At least with your first you should be good for a PB (:))

Thanks for the positive reply.

Yes I was just looking for some adice for the day. Pacing is one of the issues I have but there are pacemakers so I intend to stick close to one of them. There are lots of Web sites offering training schedules and advice so I think I have everything covered.

Was also just wondered if any other KBers are running.

So why are you asking the question? whoops,sorry, missed that, you're attention seeking

2 replys. Clearly got your attention.

Bridge of Djoum

Are you feeling a little inadequate because the OP has drive, will and focus to do such a demanding thing? He's asking for a little advice from people who may have a bit experience in this, or maybe just a few words of encouragement. Along comes you, a malcontent. More interested in putting down what he's doing than being of any use at all. Quite sad really.

I have a friend who had completed a few marathons, he's in his mid 40's. He swears by eating a shed load of bananas and Jelly Babies in the run up to the event. 

If this doesn't help, this seems more comprehensive.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-saltmarsh/marathon-tips_b_5959306.html

Good luck to you, mate. Let us know how you got on.

fast_blood

Anybody done a marathon got any advice. Been training for it but still a bit worried about how hard it's going to be.

Doing it too. First (and last) marathon. Training was going well till my knee packed in a few weeks ago. Just been resting it since then.

Good luck mate.

Jambothump

Are you feeling a little inadequate because the OP has drive, will and focus to do such a demanding thing? He's asking for a little advice from people who may have a bit experience in this, or maybe just a few words of encouragement. Along comes you, a malcontent. More interested in putting down what he's doing than being of any use at all. Quite sad really.

I have a friend who had completed a few marathons, he's in his mid 40's. He swears by eating a shed load of bananas and Jelly Babies in the run up to the event. 

If this doesn't help, this seems more comprehensive.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-saltmarsh/marathon-tips_b_5959306.html

Good luck to you, mate. Let us know how you got on.

Ha ha , running around around aimlessly for hopefully  less than 3 hours is hardly likely to make me full less adequate.

It's just not something so inconsequential to life  on earth I would brag about.

You done it, so what! ! I climbed to E3 standard that's as good as Chris Bonnington ever got and he went to Everest (to the top, I am not sure)'

Fruitless endeavors, should be that, not something you try to curry favour on a internet board for.

Bridge of Djoum

Ha ha , running around around aimlessly for hopefully  less than 3 hours is hardly likely to make me full less adequate.

It's just not something so inconsequential to life  on earth I would brag about.

You done it, so what! ! I climbed to E3 standard that's as good as Chris Bonnington ever got and he went to Everest (to the top, I am not sure)'

Fruitless endeavors, should be that, not something you try to curry favour on a internet board for.

You and a certain other poster on this forum should quite clearly sit naked on a couch together and play touchy-feely with each other while reading Kickback.

I done the Inverness marathon a couple years ago, what I would suggest is maybe just have a couple very short runs this week but nothing too strenuous.

Also stick to eating what you normally would for a large run. Don't eat loads of food night before and morning of marathon if that isnt what you have been doing during your training.

Good luck and try enjoy it!

Jambothump

I have a acquaintance/ friend who competed in the  Olympics for the over 65's in the marathon, never mentions any thing like this in his conversations

Jambothump

You and a certain other poster on this forum should quite clearly sit naked on a couch together and play touchy-feely with each other while reading Kickback.

I could quite easily  come to NY , if that would make you more comfortable about my posts ????

Bridge of Djoum

I could quite easily  come to NY , if that would make you more comfortable about my posts ????

Sigh.

You've added nothing to the discusson whatsoever.

You're best ignored I feel.

Jambothump

Sigh.

You've added nothing to the discusson whatsoever.

You're best ignored I feel.

You are a rather sad individual, nae friends , nae life, s h i  t

it's ok, Iv'e got the internet

I've done 2, Edinburgh and Loch Ness when I was 50. Pace yourself and keep drinking. Good luck

Good luck to everyone taking part in the marathon tomorrow.

Stirling tomorrow- Edinburgh next week.

Not really marathon related but running related.

Out for a run today and was dive bombed several times by a buzzard. Hit me on the head too.

Pretty scary lol

Maroon Sailor

Go for a poo before the start.

Straight from the Paula Radcliffe school of advice

Don't know how you're planning on traveling back home, but when I did it a few years ago the busses were a nightmare (things could well have improved by now). Last time we did the EMF, we pre dumped the car the night before to make it easier (just to be clear, I've never done a full marathon, just the half and the relay).

Good luck.

Don't know how you're planning on traveling back home, but when I did it a few years ago the busses were a nightmare (things could well have improved by now). Last time we did the EMF, we pre dumped the car the night before to make it easier (just to be clear, I've never done a full marathon, just the half and the relay).

Good luck.

I am planning to use the busses. Hope it has improved.

Some other good tips on the thread.

I'm doing a crap leg of the relay. Out to the Pans and back

Deffo this. Nerves will bring on the turtle's heid. Squeeze out all you can beforehand. At the water stations, slow down or stop and take on water and pour the rest over your head. If offered a sweetie, take it. I go along with the jelly bean or dried cranberry theory. You won't be first but you won't be last. You CAN do it unless you get injured. The feeling when you cross the line (especially on your first marathon) os amazing. Good luck!

Deffo this. Nerves will bring on the turtle's heid. Squeeze out all you can beforehand. At the water stations, slow down or stop and take on water and pour the rest over your head. If offered a sweetie, take it. I go along with the jelly bean or dried cranberry theory. You won't be first but you won't be last. You CAN do it unless you get injured. The feeling when you cross the line (especially on your first marathon) os amazing. Good luck!

Just a couple of years younger than you.....never been really fit,even as a kid.. Lots of sleep, water, stretches..... Used too run around meadows for an hour most evenings..... Think of it as seven runs, keep the heart..good luck mate

siegementality

Good luck.

I am planning to use the busses. Hope it has improved.

Some other good tips on the thread.

My missus would advise against. We got the bus back after the missus did the half marathon and she regretted it. Took ages, no movement, she stiffened up badly she said. She's doing the full marathon this year and the plan is to walk to the train station and get the train back.

Doing the half marathon. Done a couple runs up lanark road to balerno and back (about 10 miles) in addition to shorter runs nearly every day. Is that enough?

Doing the half marathon. Done a couple runs up lanark road to balerno and back (about 10 miles) in addition to shorter runs nearly every day. Is that enough?

The wife says you should be fine but take one of those energy gels for the last few miles.

fast_blood

That's absolutely spot on. Don't think energy gels are needed for half marathons and not advisable unless you've tried them before. You'd probably end up with the runs (excuse the pun)

I've never tackled a full marathon, but have done a few halfs and kilomathons before deciding to let diabetes win and scale back.

You've obviously done your training. Since its your first, you're guaranteed a PB, so don't chase a time or fixate on your watch, and simply run at a pace that feels comfortable and soak up the atmosphere.

Don't over hydrate before you start, there'll be plenty water stops around the course.

Finally, about 1.5 hours before you set off, move the bowels and pop a few Imodium to proactively manage joggers bottom...

I'll be doing the 10km next weekend - my new distance.

Enjoy it!

Mr Brightside

That's absolutely spot on. Don't think energy gels are needed for half marathons and not advisable unless you've tried them before. You'd probably end up with the runs (excuse the pun)

Depending on how hard you are pushing yourself a couple of gels in a half marathon are fine. Maybe one at 8 miles and one at 10 just gives your body something to feed off. If you are not going hard then you will get round a half with water.

For example I will run a half about 1min/mile quicker than my training pace. Wouldn't bother with gels in training but during the race can come in handy.

Cheers for the advice. It's my first one so more concerned about finishing with a respectable time then will improve each time I do it again.

fast_blood

Depending on how hard you are pushing yourself a couple of gels in a half marathon are fine. Maybe one at 8 miles and one at 10 just gives your body something to feed off. If you are not going hard then you will get round a half with water.

For example I will run a half about 1min/mile quicker than my training pace. Wouldn't bother with gels in training but during the race can come in handy.

Each to their own I guess. I just think they're a bit of a fad to be honest.

Mr Brightside

Each to their own I guess. I just think they're a bit of a fad to be honest.

Yeah if you can get away without using them don't. I never bother with them when training.

I've been using gels on my long runs and when I first started using them they played havoc with the bowels. From my experience I'd avoid if you've never used them before. I do get a boost with them but it's short lived.

Good luck to all those running.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Don't get swept along and go out too fast. Don't try anything new (shoes, socks, fuel etc). Enjoy it!

Looking at the weather for next weekend and it's to be really warm so that won't be good for runners

rambothejambo

Completed a few in my twenty's (culminating in the '86 Commonwealth games one). Assuming you've trained up properly for it (running up to 20 miles was my max) then you should be fine. Don't get pre-occupied with a certain time (like I did, aimed for <3hrs, ran 3.02, still gutted to this day!), don't get caught up in the rush at the start, drink plenty of fluids before and during race and try and enjoy. The crowds back then were superb, very encouraging, they defo help. Try and keep a regular mile pace and try and keep a wee bit back. The last six miles are hard, no doubt about it, but it a great achievement, and there are not that many of us who can say we have run that distance non-stop. All the best, Rambothejambo.

marathonpoop.jpg

**** me, what on earth...

Is it even worth finishing a race in that state, with your own watery shite dripping down into your shoes, drying on your legs in full sight of everyone.

Maybe some people are that committed, but I'd have given up as soon as it was clear that whatever was knocking at the door wasn't going to stay put for much longer, or at least taken the 15 minute hit to my lap time to pop into whatever toilets were closest.

Atrocious :lol:

I think anyone who has the drive and determination to finish a full marathon deserves some respect.

I've always been reasonably fit, played sports all my life, but there is no way on earth I could have done a marathon.  I used to think my body just wasn't built for long distance running, but actually it was my mind that wasn't built for it and people who can run marathons have trained both their bodies and their minds to a level of toughness than many people just don't have (including some, it seems, who have commented on this topic already).

To the OP, I wish you all the best in it.

fast_blood

It's looking likely that it's going to be pretty warm on Sunday. Not looking forward to that much.

Archived