Northern Italy Days out

benny

Off to Northern Italy for 10 days in 4 weeks time.

Looking for places to go for a day out from my 3 places I'm staying.

Milan Padova and Treviso.

Venice is going to be a certainty but looking for others to visit.

Main interests will be art museums,churches and Roman history.

Thanks.

paleredfox

Edit:

Are you staying in those locations seperately and if so, which one will you be be staying at and subsequently visiting Venezia?

Also, are you driving or yiu taking the train?

Edit:

Are you staying in those locations seperately and if so, which one will you be be staying at and subsequently visiting Venezia?

Also, are you driving or yiu taking the train?

Using train.Venezia looking like Treviso

Thinking Brescia from Milan.Venice from Treviso.

A day in Milan,Padova and Treviso so maybe 3 days left to travel elsewhere.

Thinking Bologna and verona from Padova so 1 more trip from Treviso.

ToadKiller Dog

Lake Garda one if my favorite places you could spend a day village hopping by boat

Verona I got lucky when I went there as they has some medieval/renaissance festival .

Thinking Brescia from Milan.

If you haven't a particular reason for going to Brescia you could try something different out of Milan. 

Take an early train to Varenna.  Stop off and have a look around (it's not that big, and it's quite pretty).

Varenna1-900x516.jpg

Then go to the waterfront and take the short ferry trip to Bellagio, which has more to see and do - and you could get lunch there as well.

Bellagio-Lake-Como-Italy.jpg

Then take the longer ferry ride from Bellagio to Como - kinda like a cheap Lake Como cruise.

Lake_Como_Italy.jpg

And finally take the train from Como back to Milan.

You'll end up in a different station in Milan from where you started, but you can manage that.

Some of the train connections take ages, but if you get the right trains you can get to Varenna in about 90 minutes, and from Como to Milan in about 50 minutes.  The regular ferry from Bellagio to Como takes something like two and a half hours.  It'd be a long day trip, but you'd get to see a lot.

paleredfox

Verona - easy train from S.Lucia Stazione or pretty much any station.

The Arena Di Verona is there, plus they will be getting it ready for opera season so the props are out and about.

Nice and relaxed city I found it to be, even visiting the famous balcony was pleasant.

Venice - self explanatory but if you get a chance, the water bus operates to Murano and Burano which are nice little places if Venice is heaving.

Milan - self explanatory for visiting.

I worked in and around Lago Di Garda for a few years so unfortunately I'm not much help further afield. We used to just jump on the train to Verona or if I had work in Venice, just had a wander and a glass of wine.

- Have you been to Italy before?

This, logistically , is or might be a pain in the ass without a car but if you had use of a car or didn't mind taxis then I would recommend thoroughly getting to a small village called Borghetto Sul Mincio - nothing to the place really but it's beautiful. Head there for lunch and a nice wander, even have a wee pop down to Valeggio Sul Mincio for a gander.

Plan to get there for lunch and then for evening meal, I 100% urge you to get to a place called La montina. It's an Agriturismo and it's local, fresh, family owned and the food is awesome.

Peschiera itself is lovely as well, nice places for lunch, easy to get to and you can easily hire a boat and spend an hour or two on Lake Garda.

Borghetto Is near enough to Peschiera del Garda which is a main stop on the Venezia Milano Train services - but taxi wise not sure of the cost. You could always bus it from Peschiera, tourist info is in the square and their English is perfect.

Where are you staying in Milan Benny?

A couple of hundred metres from Udine metro station.

North east Milan.

The Varenna to bellagio & Como. Is a great shout.

Absolutely stunning.

Great pictures too Ulysses

davemclaren

If you haven't a particular reason for going to Brescia you could try something different out of Milan. 

Take an early train to Varenna.  Stop off and have a look around (it's not that big, and it's quite pretty).

Varenna1-900x516.jpg

Then go to the waterfront and take the short ferry trip to Bellagio, which has more to see and do - and you could get lunch there as well.

Then take the longer ferry ride from Bellagio to Como - kinda like a cheap Lake Como cruise.

Lake_Como_Italy.jpg

You'll end up in a different station in Milan from where you started, but you can manage that.

Some of the train connections take ages, but if you get the right trains you can get to Varenna in about 90 minutes, and from Como to Milan in about 50 minutes.  The regular ferry from Bellagio to Como takes something like two and a half hours.  It'd be a long day trip, but you'd get to see a lot.

Looks great. We are off to the Italian lakes in a weeks time. Staying 3 days each in Como and Simione.

Take an early train to Varenna. Stop off and have a look around (it's not that big, and it's quite pretty).

Varenna1-900x516.jpg

Lake_Como_Italy.jpg

Some of the train connections take ages, but if you get the right trains you can get to Varenna in about 90 minutes, and from Como to Milan in about 50 minutes. The regular ferry from Bellagio to Como takes something like two and a half hours. It'd be a long day trip, but you'd get to see a lot.

Good shouts there Uly. Lake Como is great - as is Lake Garda - and Varenna and Bellagio are two of the nicest places I've been to on the lake. Stayed in Bellagio last year and that restaurant up the steps with the blue sign is fantastic!

I'd also echo the shout for Verona - its a beautiful place.

Good shouts there Uly. Lake Como is great - as is Lake Garda - and Varenna and Bellagio are two of the nicest places I've been to on the lake. Stayed in Bellagio last year and that restaurant up the steps with the blue sign is fantastic!

I'd also echo the shout for Verona - its a beautiful place.

Cheers.  Lake Garda is lovely.

Sirmione:

94725099.jpg

Lazise:

Lazise_veduta.jpg

Bardolino:

jennyhaslam12.jpg

Garda:

006.jpg

davemclaren

Cheers. Lake Garda is lovely.

Sirmione:

94725099.jpg

Lazise:

Lazise_veduta.jpg

Bardolino:

jennyhaslam12.jpg

Garda:

006.jpg

Wow, really looking forward our trip now.

Cheers. Lake Garda is lovely.

Sirmione:

94725099.jpg

Lazise:

Lazise_veduta.jpg

Bardolino:

jennyhaslam12.jpg

Garda:

006.jpg

Been to all of them apart from Lazise - been there three or four times but always based ourselves in Garda itself. Sirmione is a lovely place. I also really like Limone if you have any photos of that lying around!

Been to all of them apart from Lazise - been there three or four times but always based ourselves in Garda itself. Sirmione is a lovely place. I also really like Limone if you have any photos of that lying around!

Lazise is nice, although I probably prefer Garda. 

Limone Sul Garda:

photo-i.1631870.23.jpg

Riva del Garda:

7510612_46_z.jpg

And someone mentioned Verona:

verona-arena.jpg

13GARDE_4.jpg

davemclaren

Lazise is nice, although I probably prefer Garda. 

Limone Sul Garda:

photo-i.1631870.23.jpg

Riva del Garda:

7510612_46_z.jpg

And someone mentioned Verona:

verona-arena.jpg

13GARDE_4.jpg

Thanks for the tips Uly. Taking notes for our first visit to the area. :)

Italy isn't a difficult country to love, is it?

We had our honeymoon in Italy, based in a villa just outside Florence in the Tuscan hills, spent most days driving through countryside stopping in little villages for food and drinks.

Absolutely stunning country,

Favourite Country to visit.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the lake areas is my Summer holidays next year.Looks great.

Going to stick to my original plan and visit some cities and towns with art museums and churches to visit.

Brescia,Verona,Vicenza,Padova,Treviso,Bologna,Milan,Venice and Parma.

Only been to Milan,Venice and Bologna before.

grumpyjambo

Day trip from Milan to Stresa, lovely town and beautiful train journey up the side of lake Maggiore, less touristy than Como and Garda.

Catch an Opera in Verona.

See if the Italian President can turn up on the night you go like he did for me.

Thanks for the tips Uly. Taking notes for our first visit to the area. :)

And the food, Dave.  Jaysus, the food.  :toasting:

Catch an Opera in Verona.

See if the Italian President can turn up on the night you go like he did for me.

Hopefully will.Never been to an opera before.

Going to Verona for definite.

Perth to Paisley

45 mins on the train heading towards Verona is Bergamo..old town is stunning.

Perth to Paisley

45 mins on the train heading towards Verona is Bergamo..old town is stunning.

A couple of hundred metres from Udine metro station.

North east Milan.

if you haven't already booked then you might want to consider Bergamo as a base rather than Milan, only 30mins by train into Milan but markedly cheaper accommodation and nicer italian town feeling. We're planning 10-14 days in September and a work colleague born in Milan advised us to do this. 

if you haven't already booked then you might want to consider Bergamo as a base rather than Milan, only 30mins by train into Milan but markedly cheaper accommodation and nicer italian town feeling. We're planning 10-14 days in September and a work colleague born in Milan advised us to do this.

Looked at staying there but got an exhibition in Milan and travelling to Bologna from Milan for a day out.

Midloth_Iain

Varenna is a stunning small town, nice hike to the castle above which overlooks the lake.

Bergamo old town (up the hill beyond the castle walls) is also a lovely spot

• 2 weeks later...
davemclaren

And the food, Dave. Jaysus, the food. :toasting:

Not cheap but the food is pretty awesome. Back to the gym when I return a larger person. :)

Archived