Schalke and Heart of Midlothian

Rick James

Good to see foreign football fans coming to Tynecastle and loving it as much as we do!

I'll be bringing a Dutch pal with me on Sunday, hope he gets the same feeling about the place! :thumbsup:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Son Of Anarchy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stupid Sexy Flanders

The Old Tolbooth

Nice one, always preferred Schalke since seeing them back in 2004.

Same as my reasons too mate, always want them to win when watching German football, and I had the pleasure of bumping into this crowd on Saturday night, they were having an absolute ball! Great people!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perth to Paisley

I worked in Heidelberg for about 8 months...if only I had known.

I met up with a couple from Heidelberg for the last Celtic game (football tourists who are Hoffenheim fans) and overheard a couple of guys on Saturday in the Wheatfield who were St Pauli fans

..again the increasing band of Football tourists - both had bags full of merchandise!

Wonder if the club should consider a football tourist liaison person, I would welcome one myself on my sojourns...

Rick James

Our new page is up and running for those of you on Facebook.

Iron Blue Edinburgh.

Hearts and Schalke fans only. :thumbsup:

Placid Casual

Our new page is up and running for those of you on Facebook.

Iron Blue Edinburgh.

Hearts and Schalke fans only. :thumbsup:

Good on you Locky.

Maybe the club could explore a pre-season friendly in future. Would be a popular trip.

Rick James

Good on you Locky.

Maybe the club could explore a pre-season friendly in future. Would be a popular trip.

I'd ****ing love that!

It's a shame cos we'd have loved to have played them in the Europa this year, and Schalke ended up with Krasnodar in their group, who we would've face had we beat Birkirkara.

I'd ****ing love that!

It's a shame cos we'd have loved to have played them in the Europa this year, and Schalke ended up with Krasnodar in their group, who we would've face had we beat Birkirkara.

It's a nice thought, Locky, but Krasnodar would have rag-dolled us !

Stupid Sexy Flanders

It's a nice thought, Locky, but Krasnodar would have rag-dolled us !

And that was only the third qualifier, we'd have had another round to negotiate!

Doctor FinnBarr

In the same sort of vein, I've just returned from Brussels on Monday because me and the Mrs were over to watch RWD Molenbeek in their last league game (a title winning 4-0) and a few RWD fans are also ST holders at Tynie. its a bit odd hearing the Hearts song being sung (maybe because we both had Hearts tops on) in a foreign country. Then at HT Seven Nation Army came on......would you believe maybe a few hundred around us were chanting All the Hibees are.......?

Rick James

In the same sort of vein, I've just returned from Brussels on Monday because me and the Mrs were over to watch RWD Molenbeek in their last league game (a title winning 4-0) and a few RWD fans are also ST holders at Tynie. its a bit odd hearing the Hearts song being sung (maybe because we both had Hearts tops on) in a foreign country. Then at HT Seven Nation Army came on......would you believe maybe a few hundred around us were chanting All the Hibees are.......?

Brilliant!

Son Of Anarchy

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made an effort to speak with my group this weekend. I welcomed 5 Germans who came to see the famous and score and atmosphere aside they had a great weekend.

Security in the stadium were excellent allowing our banner, and the fans who took a real interest in it deserve credit too. The good people in Benson's were fantastic also. You've made 5 German's very happy, Jambo's.

I also took the Germans to the club shop after the match and between them, they purchased over ?200 in merchandise. A great weekend had by all.

P.S. The beginning of our Schalke/Hearts fan club this weekend too. Feel free to join us.

My favourite German club. Met a bunch if their fans when we played them and they were brilliant. Happy with this Locky, well done.

Son Of Anarchy

I worked in Heidelberg for about 8 months...if only I had known.

I met up with a couple from Heidelberg for the last Celtic game (football tourists who are Hoffenheim fans) and overheard a couple of guys on Saturday in the Wheatfield who were St Pauli fans

..again the increasing band of Football tourists - both had bags full of merchandise!

Wonder if the club should consider a football tourist liaison person, I would welcome one myself on my sojourns...

. Totally agree some sort of liaison/welcome member should be on hand during tourist time. Especially now we have more seats to fill. Its a market we don't do enough to increase.

Rick James

My favourite German club. Met a bunch if their fans when we played them and they were brilliant. Happy with this Locky, well done.

Feel free to join us mate. :thumbsup:

The idea of the group is not to create a massive fan club, but to have a group of us who have an interest in maybe meeting up to watch games etc.

It's not about quantity of members, it's about quality.

Son Of Anarchy

Feel free to join us mate. :thumbsup:

The idea of the group is not to create a massive fan club, but to have a group of us who have an interest in maybe meeting up to watch games etc.

It's not about quantity of members, it's about quality.

Don't do Facebook unfortunately mate but will keep an eye out for info :thumbsup:

Rick James

Don't do Facebook unfortunately mate but will keep an eye out for info :thumbsup:

I'll try keep people on here informed, so keep an eye out for a bump now and again.

I may start a Whatsapp group for when it comes to watching matches etc. If you use that, I'll add your number when it comes to happening.

Son Of Anarchy

I'll try keep people on here informed, so keep an eye out for a bump now and again.

I may start a Whatsapp group for when it comes to watching matches etc. If you use that, I'll add your number when it comes to happening.

Yip good idea. I'd certainly be up for a weekend away in Gelsenkirchen too ;)

Rick James

Yip good idea. I'd certainly be up for a weekend away in Gelsenkirchen too ;)

That'd be the dream. I'm going back over next week for Schalke vs Hamburg with another poster from here, his laddie and my girlfriend. Meeting up with about 20 Schalke fans over there.

But imagine 20 Jambos going to Germany for a weekend. I'd fear for my liver. :lol:

That'd be the dream. I'm going back over next week for Schalke vs Hamburg with another poster from here, his laddie and my girlfriend. Meeting up with about 20 Schalke fans over there.

But imagine 20 Jambos going to Germany for a weekend. I'd fear for my liver. :lol:

The excitement is begging to mount, if I'm being honest. Photos and videos on my phone from last year which I have absolutely no recollection off.

The amount of Schalke fans who greeted me like a long lost pal when they found out I was a jambo was amazing. There is genuine fondness for our club amongst Schalke fans.

Rick James

The excitement is begging to mount, if I'm being honest. Photos and videos on my phone from last year which I have absolutely no recollection off.

The amount of Schalke fans who greeted me like a long lost pal when they found out I was a jambo was amazing. There is genuine fondness for our club amongst Schalke fans.

And in one weeks time, you're going to experience it all again. :thumbsup:

Mon the Schalke, Gl?ck Auf!

Rick James

The banner will be back today in N3. It won't be there every week but it's fitting to have it in the main stand one last time. :)

Also, a smaller version of the banner will be getting stuck behind the bar of Bensons in the next hour. :thumbsup:

Rick James

Massive long shot, I know. But, we have 4 spare tickets for Schalke vs Hamburg on Saturday if anyone fancies?

Massive long shot, I know. But, we have 4 spare tickets for Schalke vs Hamburg on Saturday if anyone fancies?

Flights included? ;)

:lol: unfortunately not. Break the bank. It's worth it.

I concur, anyone having the good fortune to join us at this game would not regret it. The Schalke mile after the game is fantastic. My liver has just recovered in time for going back!!

A bump, just in case anyone has money and time to burn.

"Massive long shot, I know. But, we have 4 spare tickets for Schalke vs Hamburg on Saturday if anyone fancies?"

Edited by trago13

Son Of Anarchy

A bump, just in case anyone has money and time to burn.

"Massive long shot, I know. But, we have 4 spare tickets for Schalke vs Hamburg on Saturday if anyone fancies?"

Too short notice for me to get cover plus got a concert in Newcastle on Sunday. Have fun folks :thumbsup:

Van Wilder

The bond between the clubs is nice,

I went over to see Schalke v Chelsea  in the Champions League aswell as a home game with Hamburg,

A gentleman named Marc helped me get the tickets, and gave me the Hamburg one free of charge use of his season ticket. Took me and a few friends to some local fan bars, aside from the fact one of them was called the Hibernia.

Thoroughly recommend that if anyone has the chance get over there! Great fans, great stadium.

Heartsofgold

Locky, If I could persuade the wife to let me off the hook, I'd be well up for it however, there is no chance as I'm already in the dog house for a night out last week when I came home much the worse for wear and had a 2 day/unable to do anything hangover!!

Rick James

Locky, If I could persuade the wife to let me off the hook, I'd be well up for it however, there is no chance as I'm already in the dog house for a night out last week when I came home much the worse for wear and had a 2 day/unable to do anything hangover!!

Send her my way. She won't resist the Locky charm. :lol:

Too short notice for me to get cover plus got a concert in Newcastle on Sunday. Have fun folks :thumbsup:

Think we'll get Hallowed Be Thy Name?

Son Of Anarchy

Think we'll get Hallowed Be Thy Name?

I sooooo hope so smiler ;) my laddies never been so never heard it live. You going down?

I sooooo hope so smiler ;) my laddies never been so never heard it live. You going down?

I'm not mate unfortunately, my Bro and his wife are though. Enjoy, it won't be anything but ****ing brilliant :)

jamboinglasgow

. Totally agree some sort of liaison/welcome member should be on hand during tourist time. Especially now we have more seats to fill. Its a market we don't do enough to increase.

I agree, could be a nice idea. Say when buying tickets they could put down that they are a foreign visitor, put down their nationality and on game day they can arrive early and the liaison could provide them with a guided tour of Tynecastle, perhaps advice on suitable places for a pre-match drink. The tour could end in the club shop, so as to encourage visitors to buy something to remember the visit. I feel if marketed right it could be popular, even if it is a dozen people per game. Only issue I would think is language if they dont speak English. 

Good to see that some Schalke fans have a good bond with us. They seemed a friendly sort when played them and I keep an eye out for them. Never a bad thing to foster bonds of friendship with foreign clubs and fans.

I agree, could be a nice idea. Say when buying tickets they could put down that they are a foreign visitor, put down their nationality and on game day they can arrive early and the liaison could provide them with a guided tour of Tynecastle, perhaps advice on suitable places for a pre-match drink. The tour could end in the club shop, so as to encourage visitors to buy something to remember the visit. I feel if marketed right it could be popular, even if it is a dozen people per game. Only issue I would think is language if they dont speak English. 

Good to see that some Schalke fans have a good bond with us. They seemed a friendly sort when played them and I keep an eye out for them. Never a bad thing to foster bonds of friendship with foreign clubs and fans.

Son Of Anarchy

I like German football but I'm a Hannover 96 man. :)

My son likes Dortmund. We could all get together one day and sit in different corners of the pub? :)

davemclaren

My son likes Dortmund. We could all get together one day and sit in different corners of the pub? :)

...drinking german beer and eating currwurst.

Son Of Anarchy

...drinking german beer and eating currwurst.

That I'm up for but draw the line at wearing lederhosen ;)

Rick James

Just home from Schalke vs Hamburg. 1-1 draw which maybe Schalke were lucky to get a point from, but atmosphere was amazing.

Celebrated 20 years since Schalke won the UEFA Cup. Schalke had a goal disallowed deep in injury time. Nordkurve was going mental. Like away end at Easter Road.

Shame we looked at the screen and saw it finished 1-1. Great day and night, back at the hotel now rather pished and away for a snooze. Gl?ck Auf and FTH!

• 2 months later...
scott herbertson

A bit late to this thread but just to say I've done a fair bit of drinking with Schalke fans - had ten of them at a Brentford game a couple of years back.

Just a complete coincidence as my brother Craig lived near Dortmund and we travelled to the Scotland Germany game there with the local Schalke fans. They are keen on a Hearts too so Craig and I should probably link them up ( mind you they drink a LOT!)

This thread has brought memories of another European match against German opposition.  Was quite young at the time but will never forgive Petric.. 

Unknown user

This thread has brought memories of another European match against German opposition. Was quite young at the time but will never forgive Petric..

Petric

:facepalm:

"Here Hearts, here's a few million to take you to the next level"

"Yass! Lads, we're signing Petric"

:facepalm:

Craig Herbertson

d02565103c089598de54281eeba06c39.png

A little bit of the Ruhr in in Gorgie last season.

That's my pal Leslie and his lovely wife. Small world.

I've thought of Schalke as the German equivalents of Hearts. Large support, city based and huge potential but have been dominated by Bayern and Dortmund throughout the years. That will change.

I've thought of Schalke as the German equivalents of Hearts. Large support, city based and huge potential but have been dominated by Bayern and Dortmund throughout the years. That will change.

FC St Pauli too. Lots of potential and support base.

Unknown user

Personally I rate Wolfsburg for going out of their way to help us when we were in trouble.

It maybe wasn't the most successful venture ever but the spirit it was done in shouldn't be forgotten and they have my thanks and goodwill, along with all the other clubs who helped out.

iwasthere1954

Personally I rate Wolfsburg for going out of their way to help us when we were in trouble.

It maybe wasn't the most successful venture ever but the spirit it was done in shouldn't be forgotten and they have my thanks and goodwill, along with all the other clubs who helped out.

At the time I heard we made a ?35k profit as Wolfsburg paid their own expenses.