My Windows laptop

Turkishcap

Had my current laptop just over 3 years in January, since the Nov/Dec it started to show funny signs all was not well.....January it would freeze after 10 minutes and just have that annoying blue circle going around. Emergency switch off and re start and again 10 minutes before complete freeze so gave up thinking hard drive was knacked.

Then in March gave a factory re set a go and the ruddy thing has been fine since.....so anyone think a bug or what? Have good security on it and had 400gbs free space. Getting a new one in any case but have found this strange.

joe.gausden

It might've been something in one of the updates as I had a problem a few weeks ago which resolved itself within a day

Mines is constantly trying to install updates but fails every single time.

About the same age as yours.

Similar situation with me, new HP Pavilion Laptop at Christmas, set it up, got it to recognise printer over Wi-Fi, all working well. Then I ran the windows 10 update ( it had windows10 already) since then its touch & go if printer will print wirelessly (fine when printer used in local mode) also some annoying buffering when on-line ( I don't download or watch stuff on-line) anyone got any possible solutions (I've already downloaded printer files from HP as no cd drive on laptop)?

I once got hold of a mates laptop and he had installed 3 anti-virus softwares on it thinking he was doing well. Also, that Raport software which banking websites encourage you to install will slow your laptop to a standstill.

• 3 weeks later...
hughesie27

A new great feature my laptop has decided to adopt is that it is now refusing to accept any keyboard inputs. The bizarre thing though is that this is only an issue when I want to type in Windows specific text boxes. For example the search box on the start menu. Or even, it appears, the Command Prompt box.

It works perfectly fine when browsing the internet and when i need to put my password in to log into the laptop.

Any ideas what I've done?

Also, that Rapport software which banking websites encourage you to install will slow your laptop to a standstill.

This ^^

Terrible software on some machines  :uhoh2: Especially if they already have antivirus!

frankblack

A new great feature my laptop has decided to adopt is that it is now refusing to accept any keyboard inputs. The bizarre thing though is that this is only an issue when I want to type in Windows specific text boxes. For example the search box on the start menu. Or even, it appears, the Command Prompt box.

It works perfectly fine when browsing the internet and when i need to put my password in to log into the laptop.

Its pretty impossible to guess what caused that.

The windows registry is often the root cause of problems with windows.  Programs that don't install or uninstall cleanly can leave corrupt entries pointing to non-existent files or other keys.  Also corrupted files can be an issue too.

I used to run programs to clean up the registry from time to time and check the disk.  However, I'm not sure what software to recommend nowadays for Windows 10.

hughesie27

Its pretty impossible to guess what caused that.

The windows registry is often the root cause of problems with windows. Programs that don't install or uninstall cleanly can leave corrupt entries pointing to non-existent files or other keys. Also corrupted files can be an issue too.

I used to run programs to clean up the registry from time to time and check the disk. However, I'm not sure what software to recommend nowadays for Windows 10.

Cheers. Also seems that Windows media player has stopped running and it won't let me install a new update for it.

Seems that after doing a chkdsk run it has messed up some files.

Try filter keys in accessibility settings

hughesie27

Upon start up I am.also getting a dialogue box appear titled mutesynce.exe bad image.

It says C:/windows\system32\wbem\wbemprox.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. If that helps...

hughesie27

I should add that the laptop is constantly trying to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217)

hughesie27

Absolutely nothing working here. I think some important files have been corrupted or lost during a forced shut down or something. Even attempting the reset the whole laptop fails.

Is there anyway I can force the laptop to return to factory settings other than using basically any of the options it offers me under the Recovery options?

Jamboelite

Absolutely nothing working here. I think some important files have been corrupted or lost during a forced shut down or something. Even attempting the reset the whole laptop fails.

Is there anyway I can force the laptop to return to factory settings other than using basically any of the options it offers me under the Recovery options?

Hughesie I would just set the thing off a cliff and claim on household insurance it sounds like its riddled with issues.

InNothingWeTrust

I take it by reset the laptop you restored it to a previous backup?

Have you tried starting the laptop in safe mode?  It's usually accessed by repeatedly pressing F8 when the laptop is booting up.  Select "safe mode with networking" to allow internet access as well.  Safe mode basically runs the laptop in very basic mode, with a lot of the registry entries back to how they were when initially setup.  This will at least tell you if there is something that has been altered in the registry that is causing the issues.

Most computers will come with a diagnostics feature built into the BIOS that could point to an issue.  What make/model is your laptop?  Google that with "diagnostics" and this should give you instructions on what to do.

Turkishcap

Few more hiccups and I had to do a system restore so then I tried updates and then.....fatal error message, tried windows help on ipad but they assume you can go on and sort it but its stuck on trying to repair itself, turned on and off and tricked it (I think) another system restore and its working again. Getting a new one from UK in 10 days but I am squeezing as much out as I can.....from the pc!

Get really frustrated at some online help and answers as very few are ever helpful.

hughesie27

I take it by reset the laptop you restored it to a previous backup?

Have you tried starting the laptop in safe mode? It's usually accessed by repeatedly pressing F8 when the laptop is booting up. Select "safe mode with networking" to allow internet access as well. Safe mode basically runs the laptop in very basic mode, with a lot of the registry entries back to how they were when initially setup. This will at least tell you if there is something that has been altered in the registry that is causing the issues.

Most computers will come with a diagnostics feature built into the BIOS that could point to an issue. What make/model is your laptop? Google that with "diagnostics" and this should give you instructions on what to do.

It's a Lenovo z580 or something. About 4 years old. Came with Windows 8 which was then upgraded to 8.1 and now 10.

When attempting to reset to any version or system restore it just repeatedly fails at some point during the process.

The annoying thing is it still basically works for everything I want it to do. It's just clearly hanging on by a thread thought. Might take it I to a shop. I have nothing on it a haven't backed up or could replace so would be happy to have it wiped.

InNothingWeTrust

It's a Lenovo z580 or something. About 4 years old. Came with Windows 8 which was then upgraded to 8.1 and now 10.

When attempting to reset to any version or system restore it just repeatedly fails at some point during the process.

The annoying thing is it still basically works for everything I want it to do. It's just clearly hanging on by a thread thought. Might take it I to a shop. I have nothing on it a haven't backed up or could replace so would be happy to have it wiped.

If that's the case then wiping it and starting from scratch is probably best.  If you're confident enough to do it and want to save paying someone to do it then you can wipe the laptop using https://dban.org/.  You'll need to have a copy of windows OS to load onto the laptop once it's done though.

AlimOzturk

I no longer use windows or laptops. More issues than they are worth.

Tablets and streaming boxes are the way forward.

Unless of course you need it for work or gaming.

hughesie27

If that's the case then wiping it and starting from scratch is probably best.  If you're confident enough to do it and want to save paying someone to do it then you can wipe the laptop using https://dban.org/.  You'll need to have a copy of windows OS to load onto the laptop once it's done though.

Any advice on making a copy of windows on a USB? I could make one on my laptop using a media creation tool but I don't trust it would make a decent copy.

InNothingWeTrust

Any advice on making a copy of windows on a USB? I could make one on my laptop using a media creation tool but I don't trust it would make a decent copy.

The media creation tool should be fine, but I've not used it myself though.  As long as you've got the ISO file loaded onto a USB then you should be fine  :thumbsup:

I use Rufus.  Fairly easy to use and lightweight software.  It creates the ISO on a USB drive for you which you can use to boot up from.  Make sure you know how to boot up from a USB on your laptop first though!  

If you're using the DBAN wipe, be aware that it will take most of a day to complete depending on the laptop hard drive size.

Turkishcap

New pc bought for me today in saff England, its what I am used to I suppose, ipad is good to an extent but its limited due to Apple restrictions, ie no vuze downloads etc. Out of interest anyone got a Samsung Galaxy tablet? Are they any good or much different from an ipad?

• 1 month later...

Worked out that the HD needed replaced and got that fixed. It's not actually helped with the windows failing to update problem but it does work better now.

One thing I noticed though is that it now runs really really slow on the internet. It sends back about 1MB/s when tested wheras other laptops in the flat can be up at 20MB/s.

Whats up kickback?

All roads lead to Gorgie

My laptop is about the same age and sometimes the scroll bar freezes. I have to refresh the page frequently and even then it doesn't always work and the page up and down buttons don't function either. I haven't applied scroll lock or anything so no idea what is going wrong. The Lafferty thread has maybe bust my laptop.

Worked out that the HD needed replaced and got that fixed. It's not actually helped with the windows failing to update problem but it does work better now.

One thing I noticed though is that it now runs really really slow on the internet. It sends back about 1MB/s when tested wheras other laptops in the flat can be up at 20MB/s.

Whats up kickback?

Bump

InNothingWeTrust

Whats up kickback?

If the hard drive was replaced there may some drivers that need updated, most likely BIOS or network drivers. I've not much experience with Lenovo laptops but their website gives instructions: https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht003029

heartsfc_fan

Whats up kickback?

Update all drivers. Go to manufacturers website.

Also check for all windows updates (even the ones that don't pop up as recommended).

Thanks guys. The network adapter drivers all day they are up to date however with that said, for some reason I am still unable to install any windows Windows updates. There are 170 just now it wants to i stall but every time it tries it fails and has to revert back.

If the hard drive isn't causing this then I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks guys. The network adapter drivers all day they are up to date however with that said, for some reason I am still unable to install any windows Windows updates. There are 170 just now it wants to i stall but every time it tries it fails and has to revert back.

If the hard drive isn't causing this then I have no idea what it could be.

It could be something else you have installed that is causing a conflict with the update because it wants different versions of common libraries.

Archived