West Coast Of Scotland

Dagger Is Back

Spent some time staying right in Sanna Bay at the end of last year, beautiful beach and good walking but be ready for the single track roads!

Enjoy going down Mull of Kintyre way.  I love the fact it seems the path less travelled and you'll get decent solitude if you like that kind of thing.  Some lovely beaches at the most southerly point near the village of Southend (beyond Campbeltown by about 10 miles), Dunaverty and Carskey beaches.  Westport and Macrihanish beaches are also beautiful and virtually empty for large parts of the year.  Also, love the drive and walk down to the Mull-of-Kintyre lighthouse, rugged and baron scenery looking out to the northern tip of Ireland / Atlantic.  

Others  mentioned Mull which i'd recommend too. If you do go, take the ferry to Iona and Staffa (Fingal's Cave) from Mull.  If you're lucky, you'll see Basking sharks on the short sail.  So many great places up the west coast.

Jambof3tornado
21 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Had a wee 3 nights away near Ardfern (between Oban and Lochgilphead).

Beautiful scenery. Oban was superb.

Drove home via Dunoon so the wife could travel on a ferry as she never had before.

Oscar the dug scuba diving at ganavan beach oban.

20180312_124013-1.jpg

Durness and some of the surrounding areas has some of the best beaches around,  and very Isolated.  If you dont mind a walk its worthwhile going to Sandwood bay which is nearer Kinlockbervie, its about 1.5hrs walk from the road from memory but is fantastic (on a nice day).  Allegedly there have been sightings of mermaids there through the years, but I would expect that this is due to most of the locals drinking whiskey for breakfast

Not sure if Plokton has been mentioned yet, quite a quirky wee place with Palm trees in the bay and if going to Applecross its on the way.

As others mentioned, Ullapool is also a great base

Another that is not a fan of Skye.

Barra and North and South Uist are great places for walks,with lovely quiet beaches.

Airports as well with flights from Glasgow.

The Barra landing is on the beach as well.

They might be if anything too quiet for you though.

chester copperpot
2 hours ago, benny said:

Another that is not a fan of Skye.

Barra and North and South Uist are great places for walks,with lovely quiet beaches.

Airports as well with flights from Glasgow.

The Barra landing is on the beach as well.

They might be if anything too quiet for you though.

Anyone done Mull before?

Looking to pop over for a night next Tuesday and wondered if anyone had stayed in Tobermory as will be staying there

12 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Anyone done Mull before?

Looking to pop over for a night next Tuesday and wondered if anyone had stayed in Tobermory as will be staying there

Went for the day once, as staying across on the south side of Ardnamurchan on Drimnin.

Decent pub with food at the harbour.  Few nice wee shops, no doubt closed when you are over in the evening though!

chester copperpot
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Went for the day once, as staying across on the south side of Ardnamurchan on Drimnin.

Decent pub with food at the harbour.  Few nice wee shops, no doubt closed when you are over in the evening though!

Going Tuesday AM till Wed PM I think. Not looked into ferries yet but think if memory serves me right its a short one from Oban

1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

Going Tuesday AM till Wed PM I think. Not looked into ferries yet but think if memory serves me right its a short one from Oban

Not sure if there is one, but if you can get a ferry from Tobermory to Lochaline and back, get yourself to The Whitehouse restaurant.

Phenomenal.

https://www.thewhitehouserestaurant.co.uk/

On 4/2/2018 at 07:05, Bauld said:

Mallaig and arisaig are hard to beat. 

Fishing is great.

Another place is Ardnamurchan estate. You stay in Glenboradale castle which is stunning. It sits next to loch sunnart. It's a sea loch with plenty mackerel at the right time of year. Quietest place I've ever been.

Absolutely. 

You can also see some of the film locations from Local Hero on that route.  

I'm originally from the Borders which I thought was pretty beautiful. 

Last year, I spent a week as support crew for "The Jacobite" steam train.  I hadn't been up in Fort William/Mallaig area for 25 years.  I was blown away by the scenery, especially passing Arasaig and Morar.  I'm going back again this year.

Skye is absolutely superb. Its a huge island which i'm guessing a few on here didnt see much off. Stunning coast, cliffs and mountains. I would avoid in the summer though to be fair as its so popular. 

Dagger Is Back

Looks like I’ve made a good decision. Some great info and tips posted here JKB

Cheers

Brighton Jambo

In no particular order, apologies if some of this has been covered:

- Mull and while there a visit to Iona (the most amazing beaches)

- Mallaig/Morar - the most beautiful white beach I have ever seen in Scotland was in Morar

- Skye - stay in Carbost, my heaven on earth

- Lochinver or even better stay in Inverkirkaig, so pretty and brilliant walking.

- Lismore, a lovely wee island for a visit, not to stay though

Lismore and Kerrera are great for day trips from Oban. The views of the surrounding area from Lismore are tremendous. Lismore is a great island for cycling. 

Archived