West Coast Of Scotland

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

Looking like I'm not going to get away with the family this year and thinking about clearing off on my own for some peace and quiet. I've always wanted to visit the more scenic places on the West Coast but never quite got round to it. Loch Lomond and Oban being about as far as I've got.

Looking for somewhere peaceful with good scenery, pleasant walks and those white sand beaches that I often see photos of.

So fellow JKBers where would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

been here before

Not quite the west coast per se, but Skye.

Just go to Skye.

You'll never want to go anywhere else again.

Just go to Skye.

The island that doesn't have one sandy beach?!  Only 'white' beach is Coral beach and it's a nightmare to walk on.

I'd go to Harris, Tiree or Coll.

Edited by Armageddon

Just go to Skye.

I've been a few times , never been in a rush to get back. Can't see what's great about it?

Done the west coast last year for the first time. Stunning.

Hired a motor home and drove from Edinburgh to Ullapool on the Sat. Spent the night there then spent the rest of the week snaking back down the west coast. Absolutely brilliant holiday. Stopped off (in no particular order) in Skye, Mallaig, Fort William, Applecross (you MUST GO there, the road there is the highest road in the U.K., a stunning stunning drive) Lochcarron, Oban.

Honestly mate, you'll be blown away with the scenery there. I'd never done a camper van holiday before but I'll definitely do it again. The open road, go where you want, park up and camp where you want...cannie whack it :-)

I got a motor home from RoseIsle Campers in Whitecraig, just outside Dalkeith. Really really good, they've got a range of vans that'll suit any budget.

Enjoy!

Edit. Just had a quick YouTube search, here's the drive from Applecross (coming away from the village). There's loads of them on YouTube, it gives you an idea of the scenery around there, although to be fair none of the videos do it justice.

https://youtu.be/DKMcW0wkHEY

Edited by Mr Sifter

Ullapool or nearby is a good base with a car.

Long journey to get there but worth it.

Oban which you've been to is also centre for exploring. But since you've been can I recommend Port Appin to consider as a base.

Aye, no sandy beaches right enough...

http://www.theskyeguide.com/see-and-do-mainmenu-35/44-beaches/140-glen-brittle-beach

Not one there at all.

Hahaha, well then, this is also this one .... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.3379364,-6.114081,3a,75y,79.66h,78.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sojOCj-W2pPFJhbeodtMN9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1  It's a beach ... but nowhere near the white sandy beach the OP was after I imagine!

harris_beach_cloud.jpg

Chuck a tent in the car and head up to Clachtoll just north of Ullapool, stunning scenery and the beach is not to shabby either right next to the campsite.

aeWAsNW.jpg

The Continental Op

Looking like I'm not going to get away with the family this year and thinking about clearing off on my own for some peace and quiet. I've always wanted to visit the more scenic places on the West Coast but never quite got round to it. Loch Lomond and Oban being about as far as I've got.

Looking for somewhere peaceful with good scenery, pleasant walks and those white sand beaches that I often see photos of.

So fellow JKBers where would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Arisaig to Ardnamuchan

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ardnamurchan.shtml

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/arisaig.shtml

Watt-Zeefuik

I realize me chiming in here might be kind of odd but I've been up the west coast three times in my life now, the last trip getting deep into the islands.

If you need a night or two away and don't want to drive, just take the train to the Arran ferry.  Absolutely lovely and compared to the rest of the west coast ridiculously easy to get to. The Brodick Bunkhouse was minimalistic but swanky design, and the location is quite central.

If you've got a week, it's entirely doable without a car to get to Mallaig and do the four small isles, Knoydart, and the Sleat peninsula of Skye just with ferries.  Eigg is amazing on so many levels.  Knoydart has phenomenal walking. The Armadale Castle museum on Sleat is the best museum in Scotland that I've been to outside the central belt.  Eilean Iarmain hotel is a fantastic setup with a good restaurant and a solid pub. I didn't make it to any of the other three small isles and I think Eigg is the star of the show, but many folks I talked to who'd done them all recommended them as well.

The outer Hebrides are famously hard to get to, and I wouldn't say there's loads to do out there, but the scenery is fantastic. I enjoyed the way-out-of-the-way feel of the hostel at Kershader as much as anywhere, even though the scenery, while lovely, couldn't hold a candle to places like Eigg or Lochinver.  North Harris, on the other hand, was the most incredible drive I went on.  Heavy, non-stop driving rain couldn't reduce it.  Just fabulous.

I've mentioned Lochinver and the rest of Assynt elsewhere here.  I didn't enjoy Clachtoll as much as graygo -- while I was supposed to stay two nights, the wind froze me the first night and then the midgies came out in the morning, I was out of food, and I needed to use the internet to solve a mobile data problem and I couldn't get a decent connection.  And the locals I ran into were particularly unpleasant.  I walked away from a night's camping fee and went to the An Cala bunkhouse in Lochinver and was happy as a clam. That almost certainly didn't give Clachtoll a fair shake and was just bad luck but there you are.  But Assynt is phenomenal.

Bridge of Djoum

Just go to Skye.

Depressing hovel. Skye is massively overrated.

Go camping in Glencoe.

Bridge of Djoum

Anywhere up past Ullapool, Lochinver way...beautiful.

Achmelvich Bay for example.

propertypic_73.jpg

Looks a tad different when raining and windy though!

William H. Bonney

We are going to Mull this year. Looking forward to it.

My favourite place in Scotland. My aunt just sold her house there to move to ****ing Birmingham.

Skye in the summer: hideous. Can't move for tourists.

Harris though. Best place on earth.

The scenery is superb, the beaches silver or golden and usually empty.

But.

I know people joke about midgies but if you are planning camping or walking they can ruin your holiday. On a still

evening in the West Highlands you simply cannot go out in the evening. No 'repellant' works, none of them. It's one of those hood things or 10 minutes of hell before you admit defeat and go back indoors.

A wee breeze though keeps them away.

Redpoint beach just before Gairloch, Arisaig as a poster above mentioned, take a left in Poolewe to get to cove beach aswell, stunning scenery on the route to all of these

Harris is horrendous, longest weekend of my life spent in that hell hole.

Never again.

There we go! Different strokes for different folks - what happened to you there?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan is stunning. Further north the Torridon mountains will take your breath away and the road from there up to Ullapool has some fantastic views of both coast and mountain with some lovely beaches thrown in.

Remnants of Standards

Harris is horrendous, longest weekend of my life spent in that hell hole.

Never again.

Ummmmmm. ....?

Just thought as places go that Harris was a fairly drab and depressing place.

You obviously didn't go to the same places as I. It's a place that, for me, oozes beauty and charm. The scenery is incredible the people are very... Gaelic.

Class.

You obviously didn't go to the same places as I. It's a place that, for me, oozes beauty and charm. The scenery is incredible the people are very... Gaelic.

Class.

Landscape didn't do much for me, but as you rightly said, different strokes for different folks.

Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan is stunning. Further north the Torridon mountains will take your breath away and the road from there up to Ullapool has some fantastic views of both coast and mountain with some lovely beaches thrown in.

Agree with Sanna Bay

niblick1874

I have a soft spot for loch Lubnaig. The walks from there are quite the thing.

2-Jim-McCulloch-Oldshoremore-Beach-Kinlo

Oldshoremore up at Kinlochberview is great.

And Farr Bay right up on the very top is good too.  Not as scenic as the West Coast, but still ruggedly beautiful

6051ea411ed33393d3191cb323f25554.jpg

Romanov Stole My Pension

Arisaig has a lovely beach and the 'singing sands'

I'd recommend Ullapool way too

That's Morar but your point still stands ;) Also has the deepest lake/loch in the UK and the shortest river in the UK. All very nice.

• 11 months later...
Dagger Is Back

Well finally got round to doing something.

This years summer holiday is 2 nights in Mallaig and a comfy looking wee B&B.

Looking forward to the drive and visiting Morar and Arisaig. 

Never Let Them Forget

If anybody is interested in the south west Port Patrick/Stranraer area let me know and i will sort you out with a deal (I have a few holiday lets)  :greggy:

Many years ago when I was young a unit I was in with other kids spent time in Iona.

It was a time that had a positive effect on all of us.

So much so that we were going to set about the only kid that wasn't crying when we left.

I know that kind of seems daft .

But anyway I have not been back but it was special to me at the time.

Mallaig and arisaig are hard to beat. 

Fishing is great.

Another place is Ardnamurchan estate. You stay in Glenboradale castle which is stunning. It sits next to loch sunnart. It's a sea loch with plenty mackerel at the right time of year. Quietest place I've ever been.

chester copperpot

Was in Oban last week and some of the walks up there are just stunning.

Was up there with school so not actually a holiday, however did a walk around the Northern part of the town a few miles out and the walk was stunning.

Also did a gorge walk which was superb fun and managed to see a highland coo suckling it's mother on the road up to the gorge.

Been to Oban several times now and just love it up there now.

Jambof3tornado

Had a wee 3 nights away near Ardfern (between Oban and Lochgilphead).

Beautiful scenery. Oban was superb.

Drove home via Dunoon so the wife could travel on a ferry as she never had before.

19 minutes ago, Barack said:

Just booked 4 nights on Lewis, in August.

House to ourselves, overlooking Loch Ordhain. Looking forward to it.

Horrendous part of the world, it’ll be miserable! Enjoy. 

chester copperpot
26 minutes ago, Barack said:

Just booked 4 nights on Lewis, in August.

House to ourselves, overlooking Loch Ordhain. Looking forward to it.

Oohh when you there?

Due to go to Lewis on the 6th August, just waiting on confirmation of my bosses house being free