North Coast 500.

Fraggle1990

Fraggle1990

Been fancying this for a while now, or any form of highland road trip. Has anybody done this before and what advice would you give? I know different people have different preferences but just a rough idea.

Motorhome or car and camp/hotels etc?

Rough overall cost?

Places to go?

It's a pretty good route if I remember rightly. Not far off what I'd do my preference is to take a tent and do a mix of wild camping and camp sites. But also budget to have a night or two in a B+B if the weather turns. I'd start at Ullapool and then just head north turning off at Lochcarron to spend a day in Applecross.

I done it last year.

Will post some info when I get the chance.

Best to go up the east coast first, as the west coast is so spectacular, the west seems tame after it.

I done it last year.

Best to go up the east coast first, as the west coast is so spectacular, the east seems tame after it.

Motorhome won't get through Applecross pass (Bealach na B?), which is probably the most stunning part.

Edited by Lovecraft

Motorhome won't get through Applecross pass (Bealach na B?), which is probably the most stunning part.

You can if you're a confident driver. I've done it loads of times in LWB Transits and Lutons. Failing that you can go in by the low road which is a lovely drive as well.

Day 2 of our North 500 trip time lapse with Applecross Pass at the end.

Edited by Lovecraft

Watt-Zeefuik

Haven't done the whole thing, but from the section I've been on, plan on stopping in Drumbeg for the shop and the view (one of the best I've ever seen) but spend the night in Lochinver.  Go to the Caberfeidh pub for dinner.

Watt-Zeefuik

Amazing stuff Lovecraft. Makes me sad I'm not coming back this summer.  Although it reminds me how bad some of the drivers can be! (Not you, the others in your vid.)

I've got a similar couple from North Harris I should put on YouTube at some point...

Haven't done the whole thing, but from the section I've been on, plan on stopping in Drumbeg for the shop and the view (one of the best I've ever seen) but spend the night in Lochinver. Go to the Caberfeidh pub for dinner.

The last time I drove into Lochinver I stopped to take photo and 2 sea eagles appeared over the hill and proceeded to wheel around attacking each other in something I guessed to be a mating ritual. It was a priveledge to see it. My wife meanwhile missed this entire thing as she was talking to a sheep.

Watt-Zeefuik

The last time I drove into Lochinver I stopped to take photo and 2 sea eagles appeared over the hill and proceeded to wheel around attacking each other in something I guessed to be a mating ritual. It was a priveledge to see it. My wife meanwhile missed this entire thing as she was talking to a sheep.

:lol:

Fraggle1990

Thanks for the info guys, looks unbelievable! Is only going to be me and the missus but potentially thinking of another 2 aswell.

This is firmly on my to-do list this year. New car came in September and it is crying out for this type of adventure. 

jambo lodge

Haven't done the whole thing, but from the section I've been on, plan on stopping in Drumbeg for the shop and the view (one of the best I've ever seen) but spend the night in Lochinver.  Go to the Caberfeidh pub for dinner.

And visit the pie shop.

What's the with shitload of bikes at 16:26?  How did you know they were coming? :lol:

Also, cracking video! :thumbsup:

What's the with shitload of bikes at 16:26?  How did you know they were coming? :lol:

Also, cracking video! :thumbsup:

Seen them in the distance.

The video doesn't do the drive or the view any justice.

Astonishing scenery on either side.

You realise why so many people come here when you travel up the West coast.

• 4 weeks later...
Spitonastranger

The Whaligoe Steps in Ulbster are worth a visit for the scenery and history. If the weather is good a wee swim in the bay and cave at the bottom. Great place for a picnic.

• 11 months later...
Governor Tarkin

Doing this next week in an anti-clockwise direction.

Any tips/must sees are welcome. ☺

The road from Ullapool to garve is in atrocious condition, bad winter taken it’s toll , was up and back on Sunday and couldn’t believe how bad it was. 

Captain Sausage

Cycled up the Applecross path. Jesus. Absolutely horrific - huge amount of traffic meant I kept pulling in to let people through.

Also, the climb was brutal. Up there with the Lecht climb.

5 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I'm gonna do it on me motorbike when I pass me big boy test

I've just passed me big boy test and got me a big boy bike and this is definitely on the agenda with a wee tent.

8 hours ago, graygo said:

I've just passed me big boy test and got me a big boy bike and this is definitely on the agenda with a wee tent.

My MT125 was found burned out in Broomhouse last week 3 weeks after it was nicked. Another cheap 125 for me the now. My insurance is fecked

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

My MT125 was found burned out in Broomhouse last week 3 weeks after it was nicked. Another cheap 125 for me the now. My insurance is fecked

Not good ? Lot of bike theft just now.

Psychedelicropcircle

When you get to Durness check into croft103 although I suspect you’ll need to book for next year this year

Spoiler

:turmoil:

Space Mackerel
20 hours ago, graygo said:

Sports bikes are a must avoid on the Applecross road, get something more comfy and sitty uppy for it :)

On 4/20/2017 at 23:51, Tazio said:

I'd start at Ullapool and then just head north turning off at Lochcarron to spend a day in Applecross.

Sense of direction not important then :D 

Remnants of Standards
On 21/04/2017 at 08:54, jambo lodge said:

And visit the pie shop.

Good shout.

Say aye tae a lochinver pie!

Did the NC500 last year. We did it in 5 days but could easily have spent 3 weeks doing it there's so much to see. If you have the time my main recommendation would be don't rush it. I would highly recommend to everyone. 

Achmelvic beach may be the best on the planet.

Coco mountain probably the best chocolate/ hot chocolate on the planet.

Scenes everywhere.

On 25/04/2018 at 09:31, Jamhammer said:

Was it found near the play park?? Seen one get picked up there wee bas**rds 

3 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

a few years ago the cheeky chunt ?

Driven that more times than I can remember in a variety of vehicles, some better for it than others. Particular highlights being fully loaded long wheelbase transits and on one hairy occasion an overloaded Transit Luton that started to lose it's brakes on the last stretch. 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

a few years ago the cheeky chunt ?

Sphincter-tightening just watching that done on two wheels. Yikes!

Also, sorry to be the arsehole saying this but calling 28 C "far too hot" for cycling up some hills reminds me how much what Scots think of as "hot" cracks me up. I've done hills like that in 38C heat, and no it wasn't the best of ideas but I did it. :lol:

Take a stop/detour to cape wrath.  The "ferry" across has to be experienced!  Speak to john the ferryman and get him out for a beer at sango sands pub.  Guarantee you'll get a lock in and the accordian will get dug oooot.  

Take detour to skye and visit faery pools... amazing.

Enjoy. 

FB_IMG_1524814918870.jpg

FB_IMG_1524814907193.jpg

FB_IMG_1524814925009.jpg

FB_IMG_1524814936878.jpg

FB_IMG_1524814954181.jpg

FB_IMG_1524814962395.jpg

12 hours ago, Sergio said:

Was it found near the play park?? Seen one get picked up there wee bas**rds 

Aye mate. That was mine. Didn’t want it back anyway. They’d had it long enough to ruin it

8 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Aye mate. That was mine. Didn’t want it back anyway. They’d had it long enough to ruin it

It's was black mate totally burnt out wee cocks no respect that your hard earned cash that bought that, would like you to get a room with wee ******* that stole it just for 10 minutes

On 21/04/2017 at 00:09, Lovecraft said:

I done it last year.

Best to go up the east coast first, as the west coast is so spectacular, the west seems tame after it.

Agree..

we done 5oo two years ago from Inverness heading west, (clockwise) but the scenery does get better going East coast first (anti clockwise)

It wasnt planned but we were in durness the same day as the highland games what a great day or two we had at the campsite.