Hamilton: Thoughts on his 1st season as No.1

Clerry Jambo

He's got slow feet. Niemi had quick enough feet to be a boxer. All Hamilton'so flaws as a goalie stem from his slow feet.

TBH it goes with his 'slow' brain - never comes across as the brightest TBH

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to have a policy of developing young players you kind of have to play them. I would understand pining after Alexander and Gilks if they had magnificent seasons but have either of them even played a game this season? 

Hamilton hasn't cost us many points on his own IMO. The whole defence has. In fact, Hamilton has saved us a few times. He's only 23, no age for a goalie. Lewis is 29. Fotheringham is 26. If some folk can't give the manager backing, would it hurt to back our young players?

Only when they are ready to play!

Hamilton was told he was going out on loan this season, so Levein and Neilson obviously acknowledged that he was not ready to be our No 1 keeper!

Then what changed their minds??  Did Hamilton suddenly become an experienced keeper deserving of the gig - or did Levein make an arse of the recruitment and they had to panic into announcing that Hamilton was always going to be their No 1????

rudi must stay

TBH it goes with his 'slow' brain - never comes across as the brightest TBH

I think his problems at the moment come from a bit of a lack of confidence. That'll come over time, unfortunately he has a central defence in front of him lacking leadership, even Hughes is not a commanding centre back. That's what we really need, because shot stopping wise Hamilton is one of the best in the league

Pasquale for King

If he knows hhs weaknesses why don't they work on them, if they have then why isn't he any better? Hes actually getting worse as the season goes on.He has so many weaknesses it's scary, if he wasn't Scottish practically everyone would want him out. Simply not good enough and even if he ever will be we don't have the time to wait on it happening.

Bungalow Bill

That's what we really need, because shot stopping wise Hamilton is one of the best in the league

This is a total myth. Did you see him for the 3rd at Easter Road, it went straight through him.

rudi must stay

This is a total myth. Did you see him for the 3rd at Easter Road, it went straight through him.

One of his only mistakes all season. All keepers fumble the ball sometimes. Look at the one Craig Gordon let in at Parkhead when we lost 2-1 in 2006/07, but he's still a phenomenal keeper

My heart is in my mouth anytime he comes off his line to flap at a cross, nowhere near good enough now and he never will be.

Too many soft goals conceded, painful to watch.

How bad must this Noring imposter be though?

One of his only mistakes all season. All keepers fumble the ball sometimes. Look at the one Craig Gordon let in at Parkhead when we lost 2-1 in 2006/07, but he's still a phenomenal keeper

Don't talk ****ing pish! Hamilton has a half hour montage of ****ups. If you've not seen them, you've been following Hearts on the radio.

rudi must stay

Don't talk ******* pish! Hamilton has a half hour montage of ****ups. If you've not seen them, you've been following Hearts on the radio.

I go to every home game. I think he's alright, isn't helped by a defence determined to put him in trouble passing it back to him. Hopefully that all stops when Souttar returns

I go to every home game. I think he's alright, isn't helped by a defence determined to put him in trouble passing it back to him. Hopefully that all stops when Souttar returns

You've basically said he's made one mistake all season! I'm not kidding in saying I'm confident I could get into triple figures.

I'm not going to list them, but it wouldn't be difficult to get to a hundred.

Sorry to upset some folks , I've given him the benefit etc , he is a rookie ..... Cherie jack .

Souttars been as bad as any of our CB this season with mistakes

Our defence does not pass it back anymore than other teams - it is now an integral part of the game.

In fact I would go as far as saying that Hamilton's lack of kicking ability spreads nervousness through our defence!

rudi must stay

Our defence does not pass it back anymore than other teams - it is now an integral part of the game.

In fact I would go as far as saying that Hamilton's lack of kicking ability spreads nervousness through our defence!

Integral to Man City and great teams. Our defence passes it back through I think a combination of passing the buck and having a poor passing range.

sairyinthat

If we want to progress as a team then the first priority is a keeper that the defence can trust. Jack at 23 should be able to kick a ball 99 times out of 100 not 6 or 7 out of 10!. People seem to highlight as mitigation having a powderpuff defence in front of him...that works both ways. There is no point having a keeper who makes great saves one minute then howlers the next. I would love Jack to become more consistent but at present he is not and we can not afford that in our first choice keeper.

+Wrong the first priority is a Defence the Keeper can trust our keeper has not had that.

Integral to Man City and great teams. Our defence passes it back through I think a combination of passing the buck and having a poor passing range.

It is now an integral part of the game for EVERY team in EVERY league.

rudi must stay

It is now an integral part of the game for EVERY team in EVERY league.

It's a definite weakness of Hamilton's but if we had a good passer of the ball onfront of him we'd have a stronger defence and a better team IMO. The problem is in our defence

It's a definite weakness of Hamilton's but if we had a good passer of the ball onfront of him we'd have a stronger defence and a better team IMO. The problem is in our defence

If we had a good passer of the ball and a stronger defence, then we would indeed have a better team.

None of that however takes away from the fact that Hamilton is a piss poor kicker of the ball which is an integral part of modern football.

The obsession with every team having to have a keeper who plays it out like Neuer really gets on my nerves, does your keepers ability to play triangle passes with his defence really make the difference between winning and losing? Don't get me wrong if your keeper can play then it adds an out ball but it shouldn't be a necessity, if a keeper is poor on the ground but good at everything else then he's still a good keeper, if a keeper is comfortable with the ball but doesn't make saves then he's a bad keeper

Jack is weak at corners and crosses and generally commanding his area which are things that come with maturity, if he improves on that then he'll be a good keeper, just stop giving him the ball and start moving for each other to pass forward

rudi must stay

If we had a good passer of the ball and a stronger defence, then we would indeed have a better team.

None of that however takes away from the fact that Hamilton is a piss poor kicker of the ball which is an integral part of modern football.

His kicking is no worse than average IMO. He kicks it up to the strikers but we don't have anyone to hold onto it, that's a must in the summer. I think his decision making is worse to be honest, when were under the kosh he could sometimes hold onto it for a bit longer, but in recent months he has got better at this.

The obsession with every team having to have a keeper who plays it out like Neuer really gets on my nerves, does your keepers ability to play triangle passes with his defence really make the difference between winning and losing? Don't get me wrong if your keeper can play then it adds an out ball but it shouldn't be a necessity, if a keeper is poor on the ground but good at everything else then he's still a good keeper, if a keeper is comfortable with the ball but doesn't make saves then he's a bad keeper

Jack is weak at corners and crosses and generally commanding his area which are things that come with maturity, if he improves on that then he'll be a good keeper, just stop giving him the ball and start moving for each other to pass forward

And who exactly is asking for that????

We do not expect Hamilton to be another Neuer - what we do expect is that he can efficiently clear his lines!   He takes an age to get the ball under control - even from a sound pass back - which allows the opposition to get right on top of him - from there he has to rush it, and slices it out the park or straight to the other side.  If you watch Hearts you will see this happens regularly!!

This "just stop giving him the ball" is nonsense!!  It is part of the game for every team, and we cannot limit our play to accommodate an inadequate keeper.

His kicking is no worse than average IMO. He kicks it up to the strikers but we don't have anyone to hold onto it, that's a must in the summer. I think his decision making is worse to be honest, when were under the kosh he could sometimes hold onto it for a bit longer, but in recent months he has got better at this.

His kicking (and ball control) is way below average!

The fact that we do not have a striker holding the ball up is irrelevant to that fact.

I don't know if anyone's noticed but in addition to a continually weak LB we've lost Paterson, Souttar, Hughes and now (by the looks of it) Prince to injury so it's little wonder we have a problem in defence.  Often the ball is passed back to JH in panic which doesn't help any keeper.

Archived