Hamilton: Thoughts on his 1st season as No.1

Clerry Jambo

Should be the first player out after our collection of left backs. We can do better than flap jack.

Tad harsh but really not ready to be first choice. The question is will he ever.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did we last have a keeper with good kicking? Everyone I remember has had a real weakness with kicking.

Seems to be a recurring reason for him not being good enough. He certainly needs to improve his kicking as well as other areas, but don't think this should be used as a stick when pretty much every keeper we've had has been poor in this area.

He's done pretty well all things considered . He's never had a settled defence in front of him and generally I've been encouraged with him.

Cruyff Turn

When did we last have a keeper with good kicking? Everyone I remember has had a real weakness with kicking.

Seems to be a recurring reason for him not being good enough. He certainly needs to improve his kicking as well as other areas, but don't think this should be used as a stick when pretty much every keeper we've had has been poor in this area.

Alexander was pretty good with the ball at his feet.

stirlingshirejambo

Mark Ridgers had superb distribution with feet and hands

Au contraire. Has actually been one of our better performers this season. Been more consistent than any outfield player IMHO.

hahahahahaha

If he was so good at shot stopping he wouldn't have one of the worst shots faced to goals conceded ratios in the league. Infact it seems like every shot directed at goal ******* goes in.

This is a little harsh, but he is not as good at shot stopping as people suggest. He doesn't seem very good with his angles and closing down the forward quickly. In a one on one I would generally bet on the forward scoring rather than Hamilton saving. He can make some good instinctive saves but, as I say, shot stopping is more than that

The Treasurer

Firstly it was never ever planned that Hamiltion was going to be our No 1 this season - he had been told he was going out on loan FFS!

It was only after Levein made a complete arse of the Alexander/Gilks situation that they had to panic into issuing a statement that Hamilton was "always going to be our No 1" - absolute lies!!

The young guy is no where near ready, and obviously we have signed a total numpty in Noring as he does not get a sniff of a game despite some confidence sapping performances from Hamilton.

Shambles.

It wasn't Leveins fault that, after agreeing terms, Gilks jumped at a bigger wage packet waved at him by sevco.

It wasn't Levein's fault that, Alexander chose to turn down a contract that was on offer for 6 months.

Plenty people are quick to slate Hamilton but although he has made a few mistakes, overall I think he has been one of our better and more consistent players.

Would like us to loan him out to an SPL club. He's on a weaker end of a keeper at the moment and playing for Dundee (for example if Bain goes) would be the best move for his development.

I'd also be keen to get MacDonald in (solid shot stopper and gets what it means to the club).

Would like us to loan him out to an SPL club. He's on a weaker end of a keeper at the moment and playing for Dundee (for example if Bain goes) would be the best move for his development.

I'd also be keen to get MacDonald in (solid shot stopper and gets what it means to the club).

Good post.

A season on loan for Jack and MacDonald's return would be a sound move. Bring Jack back after a year and let them fight to be no 1.

Doubt it would happen, though. Bringing Jamie back would not make CL look good, in his own mind, and he's not likely to sign up for that.

Good post.

A season on loan for Jack and MacDonald's return would be a sound move. Bring Jack back after a year and let them fight to be no 1.

Doubt it would happen, though. Bringing Jamie back would not make CL look good, in his own mind, and he's not likely to sign up for that.

Aye its infuriating. Leveins ego seems to be a recurring problem. Players like McGowan and MacDonald would turn the attitude within the club on its head. We're going down a dangerous path undoing a lot of the fan loyalty which was been built up over the last circa 5 years.

FWIW I still believe in Leveins project but want to see if he's learned his lessons of this season in recruitment for over the summer. If he's still scouring the depths of eastern europe without building a Scottish core of players who know the league he has to go and another  needs to takeover as DoF. 

The fans have a certain expectation which isn't being realised. Hamilton for me isn't quite ready and a season out on loan would probably gain the desired results. His potential isn't in question.

Says in the article himself he's done "ok". Is ok good enough for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Au contraire. Has actually been one of our better performers this season. Been more consistent than any outfield player IMHO.

Are you on crack?

He's clearly one of our weakest performers.

Says in the article himself he's done "ok". Is ok good enough for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No

John Findlay

Are you on crack?

He's clearly one of our weakest performers.

Is he. Who is the strongest this season?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think he's been average, but to improve in most walks of life you do that by learning from mistakes. I think he is actually better against stronger opposition, might be a concentration or focus thing. He is talented but inconsistent.

Could be done with strong competition in my opinion. He is a shoe in this season, subconsciously, not a good thing for any player let alone the keeper

PS get the impression that he is not hard enough on himself, needs to be more self critical to reach full potential whatever that is

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I like Jack, I think he's done well in what has been an otherwise disappointing season, but Walker and Cowie have had better seasons IMO, and Souttar and Paterson's first half seasons were also better.

John Findlay

I like Jack, I think he's done well in what has been an otherwise disappointing season, but Walker and Cowie have had better seasons IMO, and Souttar and Paterson's first half seasons were also better.

Thanks for an answer. Walker goes missing in far to many games. Paterson is missed for his goal threat. He is still a terrible defender. Souttar steady. Cowie when available has been decent. One luxury a goalkeeper doesn't have that outfield players do. Is a goalkeeper can never hide during a game.

It wasn't Leveins fault that, after agreeing terms, Gilks jumped at a bigger wage packet waved at him by sevco.

It wasn't Levein's fault that, Alexander chose to turn down a contract that was on offer for 6 months.

Plenty people are quick to slate Hamilton but although he has made a few mistakes, overall I think he has been one of our better and more consistent players.

Levein made the big mistake of bumping Alexander before Gilks had signed - basically he got taken for a mug!

I had a chat with Alexander at the POTY awards and he said everything was amicably agreed and the paperwork was getting done. He was looking forward to his new player/coaching role - as it transpired Levein basically shat on him and pulled the offer.

I think we can get better than Hamilton. I can sense he's nervous and that's not a good thing for a keeper if it's noticeable from the stands.

He needs to leave on loan next season to someone like Inverness or whoever goes down.  I've no doubt he will stay though and he won't improve.  

Falkirk seem to bring on loan goalies all the time, maybe them with the Houston link. 

He needs to leave on loan next season to someone like Inverness or whoever goes down.  I've no doubt he will stay though and he won't improve.  

Falkirk seem to bring on loan goalies all the time, maybe them with the Houston link. 

He was told last season he was going out on loan

Alexander was pretty good with the ball at his feet.

Control yes, but still punted a lot of balls out the park.

Mark Ridgers had superb distribution with feet and hands

Jack Hamilton is certainly a better keeper than Ridgers though.

My point being majority of keepers were poor with their kicking. I think a lot of the criticism Jack gets is OTT. He is not perfect and has plenty room for development, but he's nowhere near our biggest issue and I believe he still has the potential to develop into a very good keeper.

Not aimed at you btw just in general.

Nucky Thompson

Not a good enough standard for Hearts or most other Premiership teams

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think we can get better than Hamilton. I can sense he's nervous and that's not a good thing for a keeper if it's noticeable from the stands.

I agree but would say that Jack will improve

I think he's been average, but to improve in most walks of life you do that by learning from mistakes. I think he is actually better against stronger opposition, might be a concentration or focus thing. He is talented but inconsistent.

Could be done with strong competition in my opinion. He is a shoe in this season, subconsciously, not a good thing for any player let alone the keeper

PS get the impression that he is not hard enough on himself, needs to be more self critical to reach full potential whatever that is

I agree - he's definitely delusional.

Cowie, Isma, Walker, and probably Bauben are all stronger.

Admittedly the entire squad has been below par all season, but Jack Hamilton just isn't good enough for Hearts.

John Findlay

Cowie, Isma, Walker, and probably Bauben are all stronger.

Admittedly the entire squad has been below par all season, but Jack Hamilton just isn't good enough for Hearts.

Stick to communism. You know more about that than football.

Stick to communism. You know more about that than football.

Fantastic.

You've become a joke on this forum, people used to have some time for you on here at one point.

Keep off the crack john!

What's all this talk centred on kicking and distribution? He doesn't have one single attribute you'd expect from even a mediocre keeper.

Decision making... Nope!

Catching... Nope!

Punching... Nope!

Shot stopping... Nope!

Parrying... Nope!

Communication... Nope!

Folk debating like kicking and distribution's his only flaw. Madness.

First out the door, and that's including our left backs.

Can anyone disagree with any of the above, apart from John who thinks he's our POTY. :rofl:

2/10 and I am being kind.

In every position we are a lot worse off than 2 years ago.

All depends on whether we are serious about competing for 2nd/3rd in the league and not continuing to be whipping boys in the cups. If we are then we need a keeper a hell of a lot better than Jack Hamilton. Its as simple as that. If we are going to continue to make up the numbers in 4th/5th and go through the motions then he's satisfactory for that. Frankly with our budget we should have a much better keeper but the recruitment has been such that its difficult to hold out much hope of us finding one. It will tell us a lot about this summers recruitment if Levein believes he's a good enough to be Hearts first team keeper longer term.

kylelauren01

I think it's been ok. He's had a few howlers, but also a few cracking performances too.

I think he has been unfairly singled out at times.

Definitely deserves the chance to continue in my opinion, although I think he does need some strong competition(if Noring isn't that??)

I also think we need to get back to having a proper goalkeeping coach. It's all very well getting keepers who have just retired and developing coaches but I think that is a detriment to having a proper coach at first team level.

What is a proper goalkeeping coach? Alan Combe was a fantastic coach at Hearts both with first team and the kids and he was still registered to play. Paul Gallacher is doing the advanced goalkeeper qualification which will make him one of the most qualified on the country, plus he has played at a high level in Scotland and England, as well as having International recognition. What makes him 'not a proper coach'?

Probably the worst keeper in the league. Everytime the ball comes near him i'm scared shitless. I have stood by him, but the 3rd goal at Easter Road was the last straw for me. Goalkeeper, centre half, mid , and forward the

spine of your team. We have none of the above!

Levein made the big mistake of bumping Alexander before Gilks had signed - basically he got taken for a mug!

I had a chat with Alexander at the POTY awards and he said everything was amicably agreed and the paperwork was getting done. He was looking forward to his new player/coaching role - as it transpired Levein basically shat on him and pulled the offer.

Furthermore are people really saying that because Alexander and Gilks never happened (regardless of the reasons for that) that we we were unable to go out and find a better keeper than Hamilton?!!!  REALLY? Thats astonishing if so. As far as I'm concerned its yet further evidence of terrible planning. 

Probably the worst keeper in the league. Everytime the ball comes near him i'm scared shitless. I have stood by him, but the 3rd goal at Easter Road was the last straw for me. Goalkeeper, centre half, mid , and forward the

spine of your team. We have none of the above!

Hamilton has the 4th most clean sheets in the league, just 2 and 3 behind the Rangers and Aberdeen goalies. Bear in mind he's been playing behind an ever-changing and often patchwork defence most of the season, unlike the other two goalies.

Furthermore are people really saying that because Alexander and Gilks never happened (regardless of the reasons for that) that we we were unable to go out and find a better keeper than Hamilton?!!!  REALLY? Thats astonishing if so. As far as I'm concerned its yet further evidence of terrible planning. 

If you're going to have a policy of developing young players you kind of have to play them. I would understand pining after Alexander and Gilks if they had magnificent seasons but have either of them even played a game this season? 

Hamilton hasn't cost us many points on his own IMO. The whole defence has. In fact, Hamilton has saved us a few times. He's only 23, no age for a goalie. Lewis is 29. Fotheringham is 26. If some folk can't give the manager backing, would it hurt to back our young players?

If you're going to have a policy of developing young players you kind of have to play them. I would understand pining after Alexander and Gilks if they had magnificent seasons but have either of them even played a game this season?

Hamilton hasn't cost us many points on his own IMO. The whole defence has. In fact, Hamilton has saved us a few times. He's only 23, no age for a goalie. Lewis is 29. Fotheringham is 26. If some folk can't give the manager backing, would it hurt to back our young players?

You only "have to play them" if they are good enough. If, as is being alleged Levein ****ed up the situation with Alexander/Gilks (and it's evident that he did) why did he not rectify it by going out and getting another keeper. It's clear they never anticipated Hamilton being our No1 this season and as I say it's further proof of a haphazard, lazy and nonsensical approach to recruitment. Hearts are not some charity nor some experiment, we should be making decisions for the betterment of the football club and especially the first team. Regardless of a desire to see young players break through and succeed they need to deserve that opportunity not just be thrown in, in an attempt to justify the apparent strategy. Currently Hamilton is an inadequate No1 goalkeeper for Hearts yet he's played the entire season due to the fiasco last summer and given his competition is the hapless Norring. It will be telling if he starts next seson's conpetotuve matches betwee the sticks too.

You only "have to play them" if they are good enough. If, as is being alleged Levein ****ed up the situation with Alexander/Gilks (and it's evident that he did) why did he not rectify it by going out and getting another keeper. It's clear they never anticipated Hamilton being our No1 this season and as I say it's further proof of a haphazard, lazy and nonsensical approach to recruitment. Hearts are not some charity nor some experiment, we should be making decisions for the betterment of the football club and especially the first team. Regardless of a desire to see young players break through and succeed they need to deserve that opportunity not just be thrown in, in an attempt to justify the apparent strategy. Currently Hamilton is an inadequate No1 goalkeeper for Hearts yet he's played the entire season due to the fiasco last summer and given his competition is the hapless Norring. It will be telling if he starts next seson's conpetotuve matches betwee the sticks too.

Good post. The suggestion that we play young players in the first team no matter what is nonsensical.

As a club, we are committed to giving them an opportunity if they demonstrate the necessary application and ability, we need to support their development, but at the end of the day the overall performance of the team has to come first.

avhudtheteeshirt

Oh dear! That just about makes it a full team of rejects?

When will people on here get it into their heads we are a team in progress!

Just about every player has been pilloried during this season on this forum?

Over the years I've seen some of the worst and best players that have pulled on a Hearts jersey and the main thing was they pulled on a HEARTS jersey and most were supported by the fans.

Today it is to easy to sit in the comfort of your home and pass judgement on players through social media and some make it their life work to be as negative as they can on this site.

Try getting away from sniping at players all the time, so we have bad games, the team is not playing as we like and winning every week, but if your a true Hearts fan you'll know that that just does not happen.

Until we stop buzzing players about how good they should be or how we had a better player before them, it is neither helpful or wanted by most players or fans!!!

Just support the Hearts and we will improve, that's a fact!!!!

Yes I think he has done well this season in the circumstances . He should have been rated at various points but it's clear that noting has been another signed dud. Still had a lot to learn but coped well in front of a poor defence

Hamilton is a decent keeper no more no less.  What let's him down badly is his kicking.  In the modern game the keeper has to be comfortable with ball at feet.  I would suggest he spends the summer practiscing hard with ball at feet.

If we want to progress as a team then the first priority is a keeper that the defence can trust. Jack at 23 should be able to kick a ball 99 times out of 100 not 6 or 7 out of 10!. People seem to highlight as mitigation having a powderpuff defence in front of him...that works both ways. There is no point having a keeper who makes great saves one minute then howlers the next. I would love Jack to become more consistent but at present he is not and we can not afford that in our first choice keeper.

He's got slow feet. Niemi had quick enough feet to be a boxer. All Hamilton'so flaws as a goalie stem from his slow feet.

:spoton:

Archived