Hamilton: Thoughts on his 1st season as No.1

Clerry Jambo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most interesting part of the article is when he said he misses Patterson as he always wins the ball from a goalkick. Very interesting to see those kicks are actually aimed at someone.

Most interesting part of the article is when he said he misses Patterson as he always wins the ball from a goalkick. Very interesting to see those kicks are actually aimed at someone.

Maybe that's why he keeps kicking it in the stands, he's still aiming for Paterson.

A_A wehatethehibs

"Young keeper left painfully exposed by abject defenders" is how I'd describe his first season.

Bizarrely, others seem to believe him to be the cause of the majority of our defeats :lol:

I would definitely bin noring asap and sign someone who would be actually be competitive with jack, when he does make mistakes there has to be a chance of losing his place. He needs to kick on next season or we will need to find someone better.

I think it's been ok. He's had a few howlers, but also a few cracking performances too.

I think he has been unfairly singled out at times.

Definitely deserves the chance to continue in my opinion, although I think he does need some strong competition(if Noring isn't that??)

I also think we need to get back to having a proper goalkeeping coach. It's all very well getting keepers who have just retired and developing coaches but I think that is a detriment to having a proper coach at first team level.

Yeah no disputing the aerial threat Paterson gave us.

I think Hamilton will come good, but going out on loan next season would be ideal.

The Treasurer

As he says himself, there have been some lows, but for me the positives vastly outnumber the negatives.

The more experience he has the more confident he will become.

There are plenty of areas in the team that need strengthened ahead of the goalkeeper, although I do agree that we need another back up to give Hamilton more competition if Noring is not seen to the task.

letsalldothebeattie

I think in all he's done well. His shot stopping is up there as one of the very best in the league. His kicking from back passes still leaves a lot to be desired but has improved last few games. I still believe he is going to be a top keeper and will make us some good money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bill

In all honesty, I don't think we're improved the goalkeeping situation under this regime. Between Hamilton, Alexander and MacDonald, I prefer MacDonald.

In saying that, Jack has time on his side and may well develop into a top-class 'keeper, but frankly, he should be out learning his trade at Raith Rovers or Livi this season.

My hope is that we ditch Noring and bring in some real competition for Jack this summer.

I think Hamilton has been excellent for his first full season.

He has areas to work on but most keepers have to wait until they are at least 25 to start getting regular game time because they are understudy to another keeper who can play on till he's 40.

Some of his saves have been outstanding though and for all the times our defence has been posted missing he's kept us in alot of games. Saved us from some serious humiliation at times.

Maybe that's why he keeps kicking it in the stands, he's still aiming for Paterson.

Haha! Paterson must change seats every match!

Jambof3tornado

As a big critic its pleasing he knows where his weaknesses are but he really needs competition. Not having a settled back 4 has hampered his development.

I'd be looking to bring in another keeper to fight for the no1 gloves and Jack will either sink or swim.

Good shot stopper but some very poor flaps at things a pressley type centre half would be winning easily.

Not as bad as some make out but deserved dropped at times to allow Noring an opportunity.

"Young keeper left painfully exposed by abject defenders" is how I'd describe his first season.

Bizarrely, others seem to believe him to be the cause of the majority of our defeats :lol:

I would definitely bin noring asap and sign someone who would be actually be competitive with jack, when he does make mistakes there has to be a chance of losing his place. He needs to kick on next season or we will need to find someone better.

I find it bizarre that he gets so much stick.

As for Noring though, I think he should've been given some game time. I think we've made a bit of a mistake playing Hamilton week in, week out, in this team.

Seems like a level headed young chap. He's got the shot-stopping ability which can't be coached, just needs to work a bit on the other stuff.

Seem to remember Gordon being pretty shaky at cross balls and kicking when he set out.

If he was so good at shot stopping he wouldn't have one of the worst shots faced to goals conceded ratios in the league. Infact it seems like every shot directed at goal ****ing goes in.

If he was so good at shot stopping he wouldn't have one of the worst shots faced to goals conceded ratios in the league. Infact it seems like every shot directed at goal ******* goes in.

What's the source for that?

He appears to be bulletproof and, especially for a young keeper that's not a good thing IMO. His kicking is woeful and doesn't seem to be improving. A promising young keeper at best and should have real competition for the spot.

Depends what ambition the club has....

He looks like a goalkeeper capable of doing a job for a team wanting to be mid-table / maybe have a wee push for 4th place now and then. Not a team wanting 2nd/3rd season on season.

He's been alright.

He does seem to let a fair number of shots go right through him though, and we have conceded quite a few goals where the ball has simply been smashed right at him.

If he keeps developing for a few more seasons, I think he'll do us well.

I think for his first season Hamilton has done well. He has made some super important saves for us 1 at Easter Road, a couple against St Johnstone away few weeks back and made a really good save at Motherwell earlier in the season. He is a young keeper who has a lot to learn and the only way he will do that is giving playing time. I remember Gordons first season and people though he would amount to nothing due to a couple of mistakes here and there, 9 million we got for him! I think giving time, training and support from the fans we will become a good a goalie.

What's the source for that?

I remember seeing it somewhere else, i was actually trying to find it but no cigar as yet.

Cruyff Turn

Makes too many mistakes for me, he's made some cracking saves as well mind but some of the goals he's conceded have been piss poor goalkeeping. His positioning, handling and kicking are awful at times.

He's a decent back up keeper but will have to up his game significantly to be a number 1 goalkeeper at Hearts.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Well out of his depth. Should never have been number one this season. Another mistake by the club

Captain America

He's done ok. 

Agree with BB though, I don't think any of our GKs since Budgement Day have been better than McDonald.

My auld man played GK and really doesn't rate Hamilton. 

Lincon Premier

Playing devil's advocate he has had some horrendous defenders in front of him. However I still think his step up was too soon and can't understand why we dumped so many decent players ( including a decent keeper). Just another stick to hammer CL with.

In all honesty, I don't think we're improved the goalkeeping situation under this regime. Between Hamilton, Alexander and MacDonald, I prefer MacDonald.

In saying that, Jack has time on his side and may well develop into a top-class 'keeper, but frankly, he should be out learning his trade at Raith Rovers or Livi this season.

My hope is that we ditch Noring and bring in some real competition for Jack this summer.

Pretty much what I feel too. He's just turned 23 so he's not likely to reach his peak for another 4 or 5 years at least. He's as good as most of the other keepers in the SPL but isn't yet at the level where we can be 100% happy with him. We need to sign someone who will be real competition for him in the summer.

GorgieRules22

I think Hamilton has been excellent for his first full season.

He has areas to work on but most keepers have to wait until they are at least 25 to start getting regular game time because they are understudy to another keeper who can play on till he's 40.

Some of his saves have been outstanding though and for all the times our defence has been posted missing he's kept us in alot of games. Saved us from some serious humiliation at times.

Excellent ? He's young and learning I'll give you that but he's been far from excellent.

We are in real need for a new number one for the start of next season along with a decent couple of centre halfs.

the big show

Occasionally good, mostly below par and occasionally horrendous.

THIS ... He has a lot to learn and gain confidence which should have been done in the 1st instance with him being out on loan . However management tried to twist the situation when it became apparent they were not getting Gilks and have threw him in at the deep end knowing full well Hamilton new he was liable to put out on loan .. Yes he has been given his chance but he has looked nervous on a few occasions and his kicking has been shocking .   Needs to be far more commanding in my opinion .

I find it bizarre that he gets so much stick.

As for Noring though, I think he should've been given some game time. I think we've made a bit of a mistake playing Hamilton week in, week out, in this team.

Intrested to know how you think it is a mistake we have played him week in week out? What has Noring achived in his career that makes you itching to give him first team expierence?? Nothing springs to my mind!

If you dropped Hamilton at any stage this season giving he is a young goalkeeper who needs game time to learn, develop and progress his career it would have a huge impact on all that and more importantly his confidence.

Intrested to know how you think it is a mistake we have played him week in week out? What has Noring achived in his career that makes you itching to give him first team expierence?? Nothing springs to my mind!

If you dropped Hamilton at any stage this season giving he is a young goalkeeper who needs game time to learn, develop and progress his career it would have a huge impact on all that and more importantly his confidence.

Because we've thrown him to the dogs every week. He needs to learn, but we've thrown him in the deep end by playing him every week behind a shite defence.

I want him to be our number 1, I just think Noring should've been in the team every now and again to give Hamilton a break.

Firstly it was never ever planned that Hamiltion was going to be our No 1 this season - he had been told he was going out on loan FFS!

It was only after Levein made a complete arse of the Alexander/Gilks situation that they had to panic into issuing a statement that Hamilton was "always going to be our No 1" - absolute lies!!

The young guy is no where near ready, and obviously we have signed a total numpty in Noring as he does not get a sniff of a game despite some confidence sapping performances from Hamilton.

Shambles.

Average is how I would describe him.

Wasn't ready for the first team. Probably still isn't ready to be full time number one. Would benefit from being number 2 to an experienced keeper but getting games here and there. Wouldn't write him off completely as he isn't being helped by what is going on in front of him.

Tokyo Drifter

I'm in the anti-Jack camp, but you're right that he hasn't been at fault for many of the losses and I can't honestly say there's been more than a handful of goals where he was culpable. The case against him as far as I'm concerned comes down to: his lack of command, lack of presence, horrendous one footedness and - worst of all - his distribution.

Interesting Q&A with Craig Gordon in The Times last week where he talked tactics and how much Rogers stresses playing the ball out from the back, how important it is for Gordon to be starting the attacks, how much the team practices getting into position for Gordon releasing the ball upfield to them and - the really interesting bit - how Gordon has had to completely change his mindset and now effectively sees himself as an outfield player. Interesting stuff: don't see any of that happening at Tynie.

Bungalow Bill

Should be the first player out after our collection of left backs. We can do better than flap jack.

I thought he started of well and has got worse throughout. Great shot stopper. But commanding of the box and his kicking are absolutely shocking.

Has been poor tbh.

An outfield player would have been binned long before now.

May still make the grade but not good enough just now.

BRAVEHEART1874

He has been alright the defense certaily have not helped him at times. But people saying  excellent and great shot stopper? nah his positional sense means at times he is nowwhere near stopping some of the goals let alone getting a hand to them. As for the ococcasional flaps :(  He may improve next year aye but surely we can get a better NO1 in the meantime ;)

John Findlay

Well out of his depth. Should never have been number one this season. Another mistake by the club

Au contraire. Has actually been one of our better performers this season. Been more consistent than any outfield player IMHO.

He has been below average with no sign of improvement.

Unless there is a vast improvement with his kicking then he needs dropped out of the team because for a professional goalkeeper it is a joke.

Au contraire. Has actually been one of our better performers this season. Been more consistent than any outfield player IMHO.

His kicking has certainly been consistent. Consistently awful.

I see the 'great shot stopper' myth is still alive and well.

Hibs 3rd goal.......... :sick:

Archived