Elvis re Cathro/Levein

Clerry Jambo

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because anyone who claimed it was happening were shot down in flames by the know it all's.

They were told that they were wrong and that they did not understand the DoF.

Now they have been proven correct, the same people all of a sudden are saying it is part of the DoG role.

Some years ago Hearts signed a young boy called John Robertson who had potential.  He might have made it of his accord, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with 2 seasoned journeymen in Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark and the boy learned very well.

We also signed a promising young central defender called Craig Levein.  He might have made it himself, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with Sandy Jardine and he turned out to be a tremendous player whose career was cut short through injury.

Today we have a young Head Coach whose CV suggests he has great promise and we have paired him with a DoF who has had experience both as a club and national manager.  It may work, it may not.

What I prefer about this appointment is that it is not one of the old has been brigade of managers who play musical chairs around the clubs.  Give a chance.  We all might be surprised.

Hopefully it does flourish for Cathro and we see something really special next season.

Levein's silence isn't helping though - he clearly has an involvement in the first team and on match days. Why not just communicate it with the fans? Even if it were just some blunt but insightful tweets so we can understand better this supposed master setup, as he does more than just a Director of Football in layman terms...

rudi must stay

Pressley v Levein

THE CLASH OF THE EGO'S!!

Keane V Ferguson

(To Hearts supporters)

Gigolo-Aunt

Because anyone who claimed it was happening were shot down in flames by the know it all's.

Spot on.  Now it has been outed clear as day for all to see, the goalposts change.

Have not problem Craig having an influence on the build up to match day but when the players gather in the changing room before a game, he needs to learn to step back and put trust in his appointments.   At times our players are playing like they are confused - that's the result of them hearing too many different voices

Spot on. Now it has been outed clear as day for all to see, the goalposts change.

Have not problem Craig having an influence on the build up to match day but when the players gather in the changing room before a game, he needs to learn to step back and put trust in his appointments. At times our players are playing like they are confused - that's the result of them hearing too many different voices

Correct.

If he thinks Cathro is not ready for the job, and needs his hands held, he shouldn't have been given it. He should have been given a lesser role and develop on that.

If he thinks Cathro is good enough, he should let him do it. Certainly on match day.

But if he does need to interfere, perhaps make it less obvious.

Hopefully it does flourish for Cathro and we see something really special next season.

Levein's silence isn't helping though - he clearly has an involvement in the first team and on match days. Why not just communicate it with the fans? Even if it were just some blunt but insightful tweets so we can understand better this supposed master setup, as he does more than just a Director of Football in layman terms...

I think there has been plenty of communication - it just depends whether you believe it or not.

If Levein or Cathro said today was Wednesday some people wouldn't believe it.

Right - so he was passing down his line for MacPhee to place a phone-in bet was he?  :tiny:

He may have offered an insight as to what he was seeing from the stands. Cathro can then use this information and choose how to respond to it.

That doesn't equate to Levein specifying what formation and tactics we should be using. 

He may have offered an insight as to what he was seeing from the stands. Cathro can then use this information and choose how to respond to it.

That doesn't equate to Levein specifying what formation and tactics we should be using.

It equates to him being involved in tactics as Thomaso said.

:vrwow:

If you don't like Levein fine. It doesn't make everyone else who doesn't like him right. My point is simply that he left Fleetwood because he didn't agree with how it was run. Now they are 16 places higher in what is almost certainly the highest place they have ever been in. He probably isn't well qualified to advise us on running our club.

Wows a good graphic. Glad you picked it up as it's probably how their fans feel.

Interesting contribution s by the big Hearts charity, on sportsound...... Moving onto the Hibs game now...

1 defeat in 18 games, averaging 15,000 at home.... A win tonight should tie it up......

What is your point?

Apologies if I didn't make it clear that Pressley isn't well qualified to give advice on the structure of a football club. It's a message board I didn't realise I had to write an essay.

It equates to him being involved in tactics as Thomaso said.

Only if he is instructing Cathro to make specific changes. Nobody knows that he is doing that, it is complete conjecture.

OmiyaHearts

I think his point is crystal clear. Pressley is/was a poor coach/manager and should concentrate on his own career rather than offer opinion where he has no relevance. But maybe I'm wrong.

By that logic, we might as well close this forum.

i wish jj was my dad

Spot on.  Now it has been outed clear as day for all to see, the goalposts change.

Have not problem Craig having an influence on the build up to match day but when the players gather in the changing room before a game, he needs to learn to step back and put trust in his appointments.   At times our players are playing like they are confused - that's the result of them hearing too many different voices

How do you know what he does in the dressing room? 

He may be invited in to give an insight from his view in the stand. I think that was a role Tommy McLean carried out for Scotland under George Burley. An experienced manager who was comfortable enough to tap into the knowledge of somebody he trusted.

I've no idea but then I'm not in a rush to condemn something I don't fully understand.

I have no problem with Levein being involved and it doesn't appear Cathro has either. We need to start winning more games though and then no-one will care.

Re Pressley - a great player but as a manager he has made an arse of it everywhere he's been, his opinion is therefore worthless. Maybe if he had a director of football to help him, he would be managing at a higher level!

Only if he is instructing Cathro to make specific changes. Nobody knows that he is doing that, it is complete conjecture.

No, if he is giving Cathro something to think about then he is involved wether Cathro acts on that advice or not.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

No, if he is giving Cathro something to think about then he is involved wether Cathro acts on that advice or not.

Anyone giving him advice can only be a good thing. If Levein had any stones he would have sacked him and took charge of the last 20 minutes at Pittodrie himself.

Captain Canada

I think Elvis is spot on. People like to know where they stand. I've worked in places where bosses have had their authority undermined regularly by senior managers and it affects morale and makes you question who you should really listen to.

I've no issues with pre or post-match advice being given by CL but Cathro needs to be trusted to deal with matches on his own.

If CL thinks Cathro and Austin are lacking in some way, he should make a decision about what's best for the club rather than his ego.

And if we turn out the same pish again at the start of next season ... how many games before we empty him? Because make no mistake the only reason he is still here now is that he was left on a huge cushion by RN without that he would have to have been sacked of that there is no possible doubt, If he had been in charge at the start of the season and produced the results ha has he would have been history by now.

We now seem to have a Head of Recruitment!

Director of Football, Head of Recruitment, an executive administrator in Gardner, a Head of Youth Academy, a chief scout, a Head Coach and assistant, a goalie coach, a pile of ex pro coaches including the one just sacked by Cowdenbeath.

And two first team strikers! Ludicrous.

It's 100% not picking the tactics though which is what is being suggested.

Anyone on this thread that has ever slated Pressley for being a snake and speaking out of his ass whenever he talks about football and is now backing him on this should just retire gracefully and **** off.

Given the JKB consensus seems weighted against Pressley this thread suggests a high quantity of Elvis Bell Ends.

Re Pressley - a great player but as a manager he has made an arse of it everywhere he's been, his opinion is therefore worthless. Maybe if he had a director of football to help him, he would be managing at a higher level!

Pressley had a better win ratio at Falkirk than Jim Jefferies,    Just sayin'.

Comparing Pressley to Jim Jeffries now.....time for bed!

We now seem to have a Head of Recruitment!

Director of Football, Head of Recruitment, an executive administrator in Gardner, a Head of Youth Academy, a chief scout, a Head Coach and assistant, a goalie coach, a pile of ex pro coaches including the one just sacked by Cowdenbeath.

And two first team strikers! Ludicrous.

So what do you think we should have?

FFS. This is nothing more than the media trying to stir things up, because they don't like us, they don't like Levein, and they don't like/can't comprehend the DoF role.

It's like Burley all over again.

Though he has certainly had a hard baptism, Cathro was a bold appointment. It was an attempt to do things differently. And he had previously turned down SevCo. Make no mistake, the media are desperate for him to fail, and we will see a continuous stream of non-stories like this.

underwaterwoodwelder

Like was mentioned on the radio last night, if hearts had won the aberdeen game and or had more than 5 wins in the last say 15 games we wouldn't be talking about this subject. Football fans are fickle , Presley fk off please have a private opinion about hearts management not a public one as your not helping.

Gigolo-Aunt

Like was mentioned on the radio last night, if hearts had won the aberdeen game and or had more than 5 wins in the last say 15 games we wouldn't be talking about this subject. Football fans are fickle , Presley fk off please have a private opinion about hearts management not a public one as your not helping.

But we never and we haven't - not even close to it.

We_are_the_Hearts

If we won every league game we would be League Champions.

It's 100% not picking the tactics though which is what is being suggested.

Thomaso, who you were replying to and debating with, only ever said 'involved'.

Thomaso, who you were replying to and debating with, only ever said 'involved'.

He actually said "involved in the selection of tactics".

There's no evidence to suggest that he is involved in selecting tactics.

He actually said "involved in the selection of tactics".

There's no evidence to suggest that he is involved in selecting tactics.

Show me where I said these exact words???

For the record I said -

Levein told us he would not be "involved in the selection or tactics of the first team"

I also said -

Levein told us he would "not be involved with the selection, formation or tactics of the first team"

I also said  -

Levein told us he would "not be involved with the first team on match days"

That is not my opinion - that is a fact - that is what Levein announced when he took on the role of D of F.

The fact that he was passing messages to Cathro during the Aberdeen game proves that he was getting involved with the way the first team were playing.  Whether some want to spin it that Levein was only passing on a "suggestion" rather than an "instruction" is irrelevant.

Whilst as you said we do not know what the actual content of the message Levein passed to Cathro, you would need to be daft to believe it was not related to the formation or tactics of the team.

You are massively stretching things to suggest that passing on information about what he can see from the stands is 'getting involved with the way the first team were playing'. The coach is still calling the shots about how to use this information.

If Cathro himself requested the information, should Levein just say "No piss off, you're on your own. I made a pledge and will be held accountable by the boys on Kickback."?

You are massively stretching things to suggest that passing on information about what he can see from the stands is 'getting involved with the way the first team were playing'. The coach is still calling the shots about how to use this information.

If Cathro himself requested the information, should Levein just say "No piss off, you're on your own. I made a pledge and will be held accountable by the boys on Kickback."?

Now stretching it that Cathro asked Levein for information!

Take your head out of the sand Ray - passing information/instructions/advice/suggestions to our Head Coach during a match IS getting involved with the first team

Now stretching it that Cathro asked Levein for information!

Take your head out of the sand Ray - passing information/instructions/advice/suggestions to our Head Coach during a match IS getting involved with the first team

Would you rather levein just sat back in the stand with budge watching Aberdeen pump us and do nothing? Genuine question.

Would you rather levein just sat back in the stand with budge watching Aberdeen pump us and do nothing? Genuine question.

Unfortunately Levein getting directly involved did not improve the performance of the team or the result did it.

Secondly, if the D of F has to pass messages down to the Head Coach to suggest he has to change formations/tactics/players during the game, AND has to appear in the dressing room at halftime, then that must raise massive concerns that his appointment of a totally inexperienced Head Coach must be brought into question.

Secondly, if the D of F has to pass messages down to the Head Coach to suggest he has to change formations/tactics/players during the game, AND has to appear in the dressing room at halftime, then that must raise massive concerns that his appointment of a totally inexperienced Head Coach must be brought into question.

Conjecture.

Conjecture.

so tell me Ray -

if the message he was passing down to Cathro during the game was NOT about a suggestion to change formations OR tactics OR players - what could have been about??????

Also why did he appear in the dressing room at half time - just for a cup of tea I suppose???

Is this Elvis, the failure manager? Aye Ill take his views on board...

To be fair most football managers fail.

HillmanHearts

DOF spots something from his stand view point that may not be obvious from Head Coach's touch line view - and lets him know via other coach.

At any other club there is no news in this amazing turn of events. 

Big respect for Elvis the Hearts Captain but he disappoints me here. I question his motives on this. 

BobbyJenkins

DOF spots something from his stand view point that may not be obvious from Head Coach's touch line view - and lets him know via other coach.

At any other club there is no news in this amazing turn of events. 

Big respect for Elvis the Hearts Captain but he disappoints me here. I question his motives on this. 

This is where I am.

Archived