Elvis re Cathro/Levein

Clerry Jambo

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically it was "Boss, I'm lost - any suggestions"

That I have to say is the sign of "weakness"

Well if that's the way you say it, fair enough.

Fleetwood finished 19th last year just above relegation. Pressley resigned in July unhappy about how the club was run. They are currently 3rd close to promotion.

But I am sure he has much to contribute as to how Hearts are run. Being unemployed he will have time on his hands and he can draw on his 100% loss record as joint manager at Tynecastle as well.

There is a fair enough debate about Levein. Let you get on with that.

Maybe I just pay more attention. Thought Jack Ross' role supporting the first team on match days was fairly well known.

The management style has been working like this since Budgement Day. BT cameras pick it up 2.5 years later and it suddenly becomes a problem . Scottish pundits , steeped in the old ways , just can't get it .

There is a fair enough debate about Levein. Let you get on with that.

Maybe I just pay more attention. Thought Jack Ross' role supporting the first team on match days was fairly well known.

Maybe you do.

The point I made was if Jack Ross was passing messages to Robbie when we were skooshing the Championship, then it shoots down the opinion from some on here that Levein was only passing messages at Aberdeen because things were going badly.

In Cathros very first interview after being given the job, he clearly stated that he wanted whatever help from anyone he could get, that included Craig Levein. Personally the only mistake, if it can be called that, that we have made is allow it to get to the point where the media pointed this out and made such an issue of it before we spoke out about how we work. I dont think Hearts have to speak out, but the way its turned out, it seems as though possibly a clear explanation of Leveins role might have helped everyone involved. I have no issue with it, although it may not seem like it all the time, it can surely only benefit us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not give a toss about messages being sent from stand to dugout and vice versa... the simple fact is that Cathro should be nowhere near the Hearts job. Hearts are far to big a club with a very dedicated support who , considering how much THEY have put into the resurrection of the club, deserve the dignity of having a proper well experience manger at the helm. Lets be honest the Hearts supporters have nearly all made personal sacrifices to pay money over in the form of cash payments and season tickets to be slapped in the face by the DOF hiring an absolute nobody with no real experience at all of managing a football team... purely on the basis that HE , the DOF thinks that he Cathro may come good after a season or two... Really? How is that working out then? We have gone backwards not forwards since Neilson left us and that is the only real fact in the sorry story. Levein has blundered BUT we will soldier on with Cathro until he has to accept HIS mistake.

Fleetwood finished 19th last year just above relegation. Pressley resigned in July unhappy about how the club was run. They are currently 3rd close to promotion.

But I am sure he has much to contribute as to how Hearts are run. Being unemployed he will have time on his hands and he can draw on his 100% loss record as joint manager at Tynecastle as well.

:vrwow:

In Cathros very first interview after being given the job, he clearly stated that he wanted whatever help from anyone he could get, that included Craig Levein. Personally the only mistake, if it can be called that, that we have made is allow it to get to the point where the media pointed this out and made such an issue of it before we spoke out about how we work. I dont think Hearts have to speak out, but the way its turned out, it seems as though possibly a clear explanation of Leveins role might have helped everyone involved. I have no issue with it, although it may not seem like it all the time, it can surely only benefit us

Levein gave us a clear explanation of his role at Hearts when he took up the position of Director of Football.  He categorically stated that he would NOT be involved in the selection or tactics of the first team, during or before the game. 

That seems to have changed.

I could not give a toss about messages being sent from stand to dugout and vice versa... the simple fact is that Cathro should be nowhere near the Hearts job. Hearts are far to big a club with a very dedicated support who , considering how much THEY have put into the resurrection of the club, deserve the dignity of having a proper well experience manger at the helm. Lets be honest the Hearts supporters have nearly all made personal sacrifices to pay money over in the form of cash payments and season tickets to be slapped in the face by the DOF hiring an absolute nobody with no real experience at all of managing a football team... purely on the basis that HE , the DOF thinks that he Cathro may come good after a season or two... Really? How is that working out then? We have gone backwards not forwards since Neilson left us and that is the only real fact in the sorry story. Levein has blundered BUT we will soldier on with Cathro until he has to accept HIS mistake.

To the point and difficult to argue with.

Levein gave us a clear explanation of his role at Hearts when he took up the position of Director of Football. He categorically stated that he would NOT be involved in the selection or tactics of the first team, during or before the game.

It has never changed he lied to all in the 1st place only now it has been brought to light .

kingantti1874

Whatever he spotted did not make a blind bit of difference to the performance of the team though did it?

No it didn't, maybe cathro chose not to react to react to the information, or maybe Aberdeen reacted to the changes.. not sure what your point is

Levein gave us a clear explanation of his role at Hearts when he took up the position of Director of Football. He categorically stated that he would NOT be involved in the selection or tactics of the first team, during or before the game.

I understand that but would also say that where is the proof that he is involved in picking the team? If that was the case, id suggest Neilson would have left before he did and Cathro wouldn't put up with that either. Levein has passed info since the championship days. Now that we are going through a very tough spell, its picked up on and criticised. Levein sees something from his seat, thinks it can improve the way the game unfolds and passes that on to the management team. Nothing wrong with that, all in my opinion of course

It has never changed he lied to all in the 1st place only now it has been brought to light .

OUCH!!

No it didn't, maybe cathro chose not to react to react to the information, or maybe Aberdeen reacted to the changes.. not sure what your point is

not a "point" - more an observation

I understand that but would also say that where is the proof that he is involved in picking the team? If that was the case, id suggest Neilson would have left before he did and Cathro wouldn't put up with that either. Levein has passed info since the championship days. Now that we are going through a very tough spell, its picked up on and criticised. Levein sees something from his seat, thinks it can improve the way the game unfolds and passes that on to the management team. Nothing wrong with that, all in my opinion of course

The question from the poster was about clarification of Levein's specific role at the Club, and the scope of the Director of Football.

Levein stated he would not be involved with the selection, formation or tactics of the first team.

I did not say he was involved with the team selection. It was obvious however that he was getting directly involved with the formation/tactics at the game in Aberdeen.

Whether that was the right or wrong thing to do - I do not know.  But it is something he categorically stated that he would not do.

In his current position I think that could be debateable.

Nobody complained about Levein or Jack Ross passing messsges to Robbie when we were 20 points clear in the Chsmpionship. It happened .

Because anyone who claimed it was happening were shot down in flames by the know it all's.

OmiyaHearts

What is your point? 

The question from the poster was about clarification of Levein's specific role at the Club, and the scope of the Director of Football.

Levein stated he would not be involved with the selection, formation or tactics of the first team.

I did not say he was involved with the team selection. It was obvious however that he was getting directly involved with the formation/tactics at the game in Aberdeen.

Whether that was the right or wrong thing to do - I do not know. But it is something he categorically stated that he would not do.

Going back to his first comments when asked this back in 2014, that is a fair point.

I do think though that Cathro especially, as well as Neilson would be very silly not to ask for that support when its sitting 12 rows behind you. Leveins experience can only be a good thing but its going to be very much something where 50% of the fanbase agree, the other half disagree. Going back to my first post about it, maybe something should have been said by the club before an issue was made of it. I dont necessarily think it had to be done but it seems by reactions that it may have been the only way.

Not aiming this as a dig question at you but can i just ask that if Levein had come out at the time of Cathros appointment and said he would be passing down messages etc, would you have reacted similarly or would you have been happy with the communication and just let it play out the way it has? As i say, not asking to be awkward etc, just interested to see if it would have made feelings different

OmiyaHearts

Yup.

There's lots of moaning and groaning with the state of things recently but one thing is without doubt: Ian Cathro (and any other coach without first team management experience) should never have been given the job of First Team Coach. It's a disgrace.

What is your point?

I think his point is crystal clear. Pressley is/was a poor coach/manager and should concentrate on his own career rather than offer opinion where he has no relevance. But maybe I'm wrong.

Stunning contribution to the debate.

Don't debate with clowns, usually leave the 'fighting' to others and watch some make a continous arse of themselves...unbelievable here sometimes.

Going back to his first comments when asked this back in 2014, that is a fair point.

I do think though that Cathro especially, as well as Neilson would be very silly not to ask for that support when its sitting 12 rows behind you. Leveins experience can only be a good thing but its going to be very much something where 50% of the fanbase agree, the other half disagree. Going back to my first post about it, maybe something should have been said by the club before an issue was made of it. I dont necessarily think it had to be done but it seems by reactions that it may have been the only way.

Not aiming this as a dig question at you but can i just ask that if Levein had come out at the time of Cathros appointment and said he would be passing down messages etc, would you have reacted similarly or would you have been happy with the communication and just let it play out the way it has? As i say, not asking to be awkward etc, just interested to see if it would have made feelings different

Firstly I am not a fan of this D of F dictatorship at Tynecastle appointing coaches with no Head Coach experience - Hearts are not an Academy to develop young Coaches.  In my opinion we need to get back to basics and appoint an experienced football Manager with a good track record.

Levein sold his grand plan to Ann Budge - all Hearts teams from U12 to first team playing the same way, no hoofing - always play it out from the back, and that future Head Coaches would come from a 'Liverpool-esque' Boot Room for continuity.

Well 3 years into his grand plan and most, if not all, of his 'revolutionary Scottish football transforming ideas' seem to have crumbled - including his statement that he would not be directly involved with the first team on match days.

Would I be happy if Levein had come out and announced he would now be directly involved to assist Cathro?  Yes - on the basis that he was being honest.  As we know this will never happen as it would be an admission that he had brought in a head coach that is just not up to the job.

Don't debate with clowns, usually leave the 'fighting' to others and watch some make a continous arse of themselves...unbelievable here sometimes.

:jester:

:jester:

:lol:

Actually was aimed at people that infiltrate threads like this and are not Jambos...don't agree with you all the time, but rest easy this thread :jj:

He makes a good point.

Whilst i don't mind Levein doing it during matches, Pressleys point about hiring another coach is a valid idea

I think his point is crystal clear. Pressley is/was a poor coach/manager and should concentrate on his own career rather than offer opinion where he has no relevance. But maybe I'm wrong.

BBC Sportsound acts as a marketing agent for out of work, out of the limelight coaches.

They had Malky MacKay on several times for example.

Pressley interview will be about more than Hearts. It will mainly be about Pressley. This is just a useful hook to get some pre show publicity.

Firstly I am not a fan of this D of F dictatorship at Tynecastle appointing coaches with no Head Coach experience - Hearts are not an Academy to develop young Coaches. In my opinion we need to get back to basics and appoint an experienced football Manager with a good track record.

Levein sold his grand plan to Ann Budge - all Hearts teams from U12 to first team playing the same way, no hoofing - always play it out from the back, and that future Head Coaches would come from a 'Liverpool-esque' Boot Room for continuity.

Well 3 years into his grand plan and most, if not all, of his 'revolutionary Scottish football transforming ideas' seem to have crumbled - including his statement that he would not be directly involved with the first team on match days.

Would I be happy if Levein had come out and announced he would now be directly involved to assist Cathro? Yes - on the basis that he was being honest. As we know this will never happen as it would be an admission that he had brought in a head coach that is just not up to the job.

That is fair enough. I understand where you are coming from with those points for sure.

I think to a certain extent where Cathro has got it easy (if it can be put that way) is that people can see he has landed in the role through no fault of his own. It is through the beliefs of Levein that Cathro is one of the really hot prospects in terms of coaching. There may well get to a stage where Levein has no choice but to speak out about the appointment. He knows that if Cathro does fail, its on his head and i truly believe he knows that.

I think given time, which isnt easy in football, Cathro may well turn things round. Where i really feel sorry for him is that he is the one that the media are grilling about it week in, week out. Levein should sit and answer questions. Again, thats coming from someone without a great issue with it, but its the one thing i would criticise Levein for. Cathro is a young coach having a hard time and he has to deal with questions about the director of football as well as all the other on/off the field issues. This must add pressure on to his daily routines and make his job even harder.

That is fair enough. I understand where you are coming from with those points for sure.

I think to a certain extent where Cathro has got it easy (if it can be put that way) is that people can see he has landed in the role through no fault of his own. It is through the beliefs of Levein that Cathro is one of the really hot prospects in terms of coaching. There may well get to a stage where Levein has no choice but to speak out about the appointment. He knows that if Cathro does fail, its on his head and i truly believe he knows that.

I think given time, which isnt easy in football, Cathro may well turn things round. Where i really feel sorry for him is that he is the one that the media are grilling about it week in, week out. Levein should sit and answer questions. Again, thats coming from someone without a great issue with it, but its the one thing i would criticise Levein for. Cathro is a young coach having a hard time and he has to deal with questions about the director of football as well as all the other on/off the field issues. This must add pressure on to his daily routines and make his job even harder.

Good points made.

Re above (good points) I don't think Cathro is bothered. So there is no need to defend anything.

Results are what will stop this.

Levein gave us a clear explanation of his role at Hearts when he took up the position of Director of Football.  He categorically stated that he would NOT be involved in the selection or tactics of the first team, during or before the game. 

No it doesn't. There is absolutely no evidence that he is selecting the team or the tactics.

No it doesn't. There is absolutely no evidence that he is selecting the team or the tactics.

Read my comments before jumping in Ray.

I never said he was selecting the team.  However the evidence was before your very eyes that Levein was getting involved with the tactics/formation at Aberdeen.

Some years ago Hearts signed a young boy called John Robertson who had potential.  He might have made it of his accord, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with 2 seasoned journeymen in Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark and the boy learned very well.

We also signed a promising young central defender called Craig Levein.  He might have made it himself, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with Sandy Jardine and he turned out to be a tremendous player whose career was cut short through injury.

Today we have a young Head Coach whose CV suggests he has great promise and we have paired him with a DoF who has had experience both as a club and national manager.  It may work, it may not.

What I prefer about this appointment is that it is not one of the old has been brigade of managers who play musical chairs around the clubs.  Give a chance.  We all might be surprised.

Cut The Crap

Levein needs to ditch the goatee, get the tracksuit on and get himself into the dugout.

Loved Elvis as a player, but can barely listen to him these days. Rivals Cathro in his ability to overcomplicate concepts that are actually extremely simple. 

Re above (good points) I don't think Cathro is bothered. So there is no need to defend anything.

Results are what will stop this.

If Cathro isn't "bothered" about the current performances of his team then he should be.  Seems to me he is putting up a defence of our poor results in every interview he gives.

You are right on results though - if this Cathro/Levein combination starts winning games regularly then there will be no criticism.  If we continue to perform badly and lose games the criticism will justifiably continue.

Some years ago Hearts signed a young boy called John Robertson who had potential.  He might have made it of his accord, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with 2 seasoned journeymen in Jimmy Bone and Sandy Clark and the boy learned very well.

We also signed a promising young central defender called Craig Levein.  He might have made it himself, he might not.

BUT

Hearts paired him with Sandy Jardine and he turned out to be a tremendous player whose career was cut short through injury.

Today we have a young Head Coach whose CV suggests he has great promise and we have paired him with a DoF who has had experience both as a club and national manager.  It may work, it may not.

What I prefer about this appointment is that it is not one of the old has been brigade of managers who play musical chairs around the clubs.  Give a chance.  We all might be surprised.

From DAY ONE Robbo and Levein looked class acts!

You just cannot say that about Cathro.

Lincon Premier

Settled down a little from the previous debate and don't think we will get anything from the Celtic game. What I do want on Sunday is signs that the team are up for it and an improvement on previous games. NOW! The St J game is a whole new kettle of fish. Lose that game and Levein and Cathro must go. No if's, no but's, Levein MUST go.

Read my comments before jumping in Ray.

I never said he was selecting the team.  However the evidence was before your very eyes that Levein was getting involved with the tactics/formation at Aberdeen.

There was no evidence of that. Nobody knows what was being said.

If Cathro isn't "bothered" about the current performances of his team then he should be. Seems to me he is putting up a defence of our poor results in every interview he gives.

You are right on results though - if this Cathro/Levein combination starts winning games regularly then there will be no criticism. If we continue to perform badly and lose games the criticism will justifiably continue.

You're taking comments out of context (a lot)

Big Slims World Cup Ticket

I admire Elvis and would normally jump to his defence.

This however is not cool. He's speaking out of context and it's disrespectful to Levein in my opinion.

There was no evidence of that. Nobody knows what was being said.

Right - so he was passing down his line for MacPhee to place a phone-in bet was he?  :tiny:

From DAY ONE Robbo and Levein looked class acts!

You just cannot say that about Cathro.

Obviously you can't.

The real point was that Robertson and Levein gained enormous benefit by having a seasoned journey man to guide them.

john brownlee

I'm glad we're not going down the managerial merry-go-round that all to common here and in England. That includes the like of Presley, mcgee and all the other has beens that are on the dole or about to be.

I'm prepared to be patient with the present set up and weegi meedi are not going to change that with spouting their usual crap before a RANTIC game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Levein needs to ditch the goatee, get the tracksuit on and get himself into the dugout.

Loved Elvis as a player, but can barely listen to him these days. Rivals Cathro in his ability to overcomplicate concepts that are actually extremely simple.

Yep. Cathro has a very high opinion of himself and believes the hype.

As usual you live up to your username and succinctly hit the mark with one post where others slaver crap over multiple posts.

Who do you thnk should have done it?

Craig Levein is part ofhis team and by far the most experienced coach in the club. Are you suggesting we just let this valuable asset wither on the vine?

CL is not part of the coaching staff.

If he is, then the website needs updated, as he is listed as a director only.

Even the physio is listed as a coaching staff member.

Archived