Argentina

Musemic

Lost 2-0 in Bolivia tonight and looks like they will end the evening in 5th place in the table (only 4 qualify by right). Whilst I've no doubt they WILL qualify for the World Cup finals in Russia it seems incredible that a team which can boast the attacking talents of Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Dybala, DiMaria and Lavezzi have only managed to score FIFTEEN goals in FOURTEEN qualifiers. 

Aguero, dybala and lavezzi on the bench tonight and Messi suspended. Only Aguero came on!! Higuain nowhere to be seen!

Henry. Henry.

Lost 2-0 in Bolivia tonight and looks like they will end the evening in 5th place in the table (only 4 qualify by right). Whilst I've no doubt they WILL qualify for the World Cup finals in Russia it seems incredible that a team which can boast the attacking talents of Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Dybala, DiMaria and Lavezzi have only managed to score FIFTEEN goals in FOURTEEN qualifiers.

Watched some of it. The boy Prato missed a fair few chances. Watching Chile just now and they are 2 up inside 15 minutes. Sanchez hit a fantastic free kick then helped set up the 2nd. Very good team to watch.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I seen wee Messi took the huff the other night and got himself banned for 4 games :rofl:

No Diego Maradona, in his shadow

Ryan Jarman

If they finish 5th they have to play some a play off against a shan wee OFC team though, most probably New Zealand. They'll be at the World Cup. 

millerjames398

I thought he had retired from international football?

If it's good enough for Scott Brown....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What was with Argentina's team selection :wtf: weakened team out for a qualifier!

Looking at Bolivia's recent form and being a bit complacent. The type of decision that costs managers their job.

Can't make up my mind if I'd prefer them not to qualify at all, or qualify and get knocked out by Germany yet again.

Bowmans_Boot

They will still qualify, 100%. Obviously they should be able to beat Bolivia without Messi, but the four match ban was ridiculous. 

Bolivia is a horrible place to travel to. 4000m above sea level - The Argentines were likely fecked by half time at least. I remember a few years ago there was players spewing all over the place because of the change in altitude.

One of the great underachievers of the modern game?

Especially when you look at the individual attacking talent.

Jambo 4 Ever

They will still qualify, 100%. Obviously they should be able to beat Bolivia without Messi, but the four match ban was ridiculous.

It might stop players being so petulant against the refs - all their needless back chat! He has been made an example of and rightly so imo

Bowmans_Boot

One of the great underachievers of the modern game?

Especially when you look at the individual attacking talent.

THE greatest underachiever in modern football. With the players at their disposal they should have won several WCs/CAs.

Bowmans_Boot

It might stop players being so petulant against the refs - all their needless back chat! He has been made an example of and rightly so imo

Make an example of a player who is pretty much the model professional? Nonsense. And this will not happen to far worse offenders so it is pointless.

Ryan Jarman

Make an example of a player who is pretty much the model professional? Nonsense. And this will not happen to far worse offenders so it is pointless.

" Eff off, your mother's C u Nxt Tues," he is reported to have screamed at the lino, before refusing to shake his hand at the final whistle. - Model Professional. 

Wouldn't catch Ronaldo saying/doing that. 

Bowmans_Boot

" Eff off, your mother's C u Nxt Tues," he is reported to have screamed at the lino, before refusing to shake his hand at the final whistle. - Model Professional. 

Wouldn't catch Ronaldo saying that. 

Even Messi isn't perfect. He most certainly didn't merit that length of ban. A ridiculous decision.

mulleted_jambo

Apparently they picked a team that they thought would be able to cope with the alititude best. Clearly that didn't work very well but bolivias home record is very good because of the altitude.

Bolivia is a horrible place to travel to. 4000m above sea level - The Argentines were likely fecked by half time at least. I remember a few years ago there was players spewing all over the place because of the change in altitude.

Prime example of a home advantage!

Jambo 4 Ever

I Disagree

In what way is he a model professional?  not arguing his ability ofcourse, but how do you know he is a model professional?

If younger players see that it happens to the very best, then they might be less likely to shout abuse at officials.

I Disagree

In what way is he a model professional?  not arguing his ability ofcourse, but how do you know he is a model professional?

If younger players see that it happens to the very best, then they might be less likely to shout abuse at officials.

Considering Bowman's Sevco family ties his idea of model professionalism is likely something alone the lines of being a tax dodging twunt; ergo, Lionel Messi is a model professional.

Bowmans_Boot

I Disagree

He trains hard, he works hard, he plays football the right way, he doesn't cheat, he is a sporting loser, he has been a one-club player, he clearly cares deeply about both his club and country, he does a lot of charity work, he is superb with fans, other than the tax case he doesn't get involves with any scandals, he is a family man........ 

Jambo 4 Ever

He trains hard, he works hard, he plays football the right way, he doesn't cheat, he is a sporting loser, he has been a one-club player, he clearly cares deeply about both his club and country, he does a lot of charity work, he is superb with fans, other than the tax case he doesn't get involves with any scandals, he is a family man........ 

Doesn't make it ok to shout abuse at officials - he should know better

bajthejambo

I'm sure the Tax Case led to him being found guilty of defrauding The Spanish Goverment of about ?4 Million. I would say that's enough of a scandal to suggest he's not the model professional. I'm aware it's an off the field matter, but not a very good example to younger players, or anyone for that matter.

Jambo 4 Ever

I'm sure the Tax Case led to him being found guilty of defrauding The Spanish Goverment of about ?4 Million. I would say that's enough of a scandal to suggest he's not the model professional. I'm aware it's an off the field matter, but not a very good example to younger players, or anyone for that matter.

This

Wouldn't catch Ronaldo saying/doing that. 

Ronaldo would rather assault players than use words

Bowmans_Boot

Doesn't make it ok to shout abuse at officials - he should know better

He should, yes, but I still see the ban as extremely excessive. Particularly given his previous excellent behaviour.

Bowmans_Boot

I would say that all of the attributes I listed do indeed make him pretty much the model professional.

The tax case isnt as black and white as it may have appeared: he was perhaps more guilty of being naive and overly rrusting than anything else.

He should, yes, but I still see the ban as extremely excessive. Particularly given his previous excellent behaviour.

o see it as excessive due to the fact a player can go out and break another's leg and not get 4 games Neil Taylor will probably be an example of this

airdriejambo3

Netherlands could have been thrown in with that title, I've lost count the amount of times Argentina have a bad period but they always rescue it in the end, however, the Dutch don't seem to have that ability. Won't be long till the squad squabbles hit the press, i would imagine.

Bowmans_Boot

o see it as excessive due to the fact a player can go out and break another's leg and not get 4 games Neil Taylor will probably be an example of this

I agree with this. I think career threatening challenges are far worse than verbal abuse.

Bowmans_Boot

Netherlands could have been thrown in with that title, I've lost count the amount of times Argentina have a bad period but they always rescue it in the end, however, the Dutch don't seem to have that ability. Won't be long till the squad squabbles hit the press, i would imagine.

I disagree. With the talent they have, and have had they should have several major tournaments to their name so they havent "rescued" anything. They threw away the last two Copa Am?ricas, as an example, and should have at least one WC in recent years.

Bowmans_Boot

I would say that all of the attributes I listed do indeed make him pretty much the model professional.

The tax case isnt as black and white as it may have appeared: he was perhaps more guilty of being naive and overly rrusting than anything else.

^^ "overly trusting than anything else"!!!!

I don't like to edit as it looks like I have changed the entire meaning of my post :) 

I disagree. With the talent they have, and have had they should have several major tournaments to their name so they havent "rescued" anything. They threw away the last two Copa Am?ricas, as an example, and should have at least one WC in recent years.

What a load of shite. 

Holland were clearly far better in 1978, a tournament that was blatantly fixed in favour of the right wing junta team, in 1986 they only won because far better sides in Brazil and France had burnt themselves out playing each other earlier.

If they're lucky enough to scrape through the qualifiers, I look forward to their players all losing the plot as usual when Germany inflict the ritual 4-yearly rogering and send them home empty handed yet again.

airdriejambo3

I was meaning the WC qualifying campaigns, they always seem to hover just below the qualifying places and then sneak it or they cruise it. But I agree they should have won something with the players at their disposal.

Bowmans_Boot

What a load of shite.

Holland were clearly far better in 1978, a tournament that was blatantly fixed in favour of the right wing junta team, in 1986 they only won because far better sides in Brazil and France had burnt themselves out playing each other earlier.

If they're lucky enough to scrape through the qualifiers, I look forward to their players all losing the plot as usual when Germany inflict the ritual 4-yearly rogering and send them home empty handed yet again.

I was referring to recent years rather than Argentina's World Cup triumph 39 years ago.

I thought the poster was talking about Hollands total failure to qualify for any tournament recently rather than their past failures in actually winning anything.

As a side note, Argentina won the WC in '86 because of a certain Diego Armando Maradona ? Having the greatest footballer ever generally helps.

I was referring to recent years rather than Argentina's World Cup triumph 39 years ago.

I thought the poster was talking about Hollands total failure to qualify for any tournament recently rather than their past failures in actually winning anything.

As a side note, Argentina won the WC in '86 because of a certain Diego Armando Maradona ? Having the greatest footballer ever generally helps.

Deary me,  you love Argentina almost as much as you love Rangers.  Either France or Brazil would have absolutely horsed Argentina in 86, if they hadn't have been drawn against each other, and Germany hadn't cheated their way through to the final.

SwindonJambo

The 1986 win was fully deserved, despite the obvious cheating against England (which few here mourned ;) ).

The 1978 win was extremely dodgy for the reasons mentioned. Not so much the final but the 6-0 win in the Semi when Peru did a St Midden '86 in return for an alleged big arms deal between the 2 bent governments

However, I think the 2006 team was fantastic and but for stupid substitutions which led to a penalty shoot out defeat to Germany, I though they were the tournament's best side.

Bowmans_Boot

Deary me, you love Argentina almost as much as you love Rangers. Either France or Brazil would have absolutely horsed Argentina in 86, if they hadn't have been drawn against each other, and Germany hadn't cheated their way through to the final.

You are so, so, so wrong. I love Argentina, yes, but I do not love Rangers at all.

NO team would have stopped El Diego en 1986 - that was HIS WC. THE greatest player of all time won the WC for his country pretty much on his own as it was an average side without him. But any team with him became both special and winners. He was THAT good.

Bowmans_Boot

The 1986 win was fully deserved, despite the obvious cheating against England (which few here mourned ;) ).

The 1978 win was extremely dodgy for the reasons mentioned. Not so much the final but the 6-0 win in the Semi when Peru did a St Midden '86 in return for an alleged big arms deal between the 2 bent governments

However, I think the 2006 team was fantastic and but for stupid substitutions which led to a penalty shoot out defeat to Germany, I though they were the tournament's best side.

78 & 86 totally, absolutely deserved.

I agree with you about 2006. And the last two Copa Am?ricas have been completely thrown away.

Bazzas right boot

Prime example of a home advantage!

We are missing a trick.

We should have a stadium under water.

Sammon would have scored a barrel load!

Feed the fish....

You are so, so, so wrong. I love Argentina, yes, but I do not love Rangers at all.

NO team would have stopped El Diego en 1986 - that was HIS WC. THE greatest player of all time won the WC for his country pretty much on his own as it was an average side without him. But any team with him became both special and winners. He was THAT good.

What a load of nonsense.

The 86 Argentina side was packed with good players, it became a myth much later that they were all shite because Argentina - the country - was royally Donald Ducked, so they were feeling inadequate on an international scale. So they started a campaign to make out that Maradona was better than Pele - the reality is that even after 86 most Argentineans still thought Pele was better.  This has all been documented, but anybody who is still stupid enough to think that the rest of the Argentina side in 86 were crap just needs to look at the names on the teamsheet and who they played for to realise how dumb they're being.

The best ever Argentina side was 2010, and what happened to them?  Handed their sphincters deep-fried on a plate to them by Germany.

Bowmans_Boot

What a load of nonsense.

The 86 Argentina side was packed with good players, it became a myth much later that they were all shite because Argentina - the country - was royally Donald Ducked, so they were feeling inadequate on an international scale. So they started a campaign to make out that Maradona was better than Pele - the reality is that even after 86 most Argentineans still thought Pele was better. This has all been documented, but anybody who is still stupid enough to think that the rest of the Argentina side in 86 were crap just needs to look at the names on the teamsheet and who they played for to realise how dumb they're being.

The best ever Argentina side was 2010, and what happened to them? Handed their sphincters deep-fried on a plate to them by Germany.

This may well be the worst post on here ever.

Argentinians absolutely adore El Diego because he won the WC for them. Trust me, I have spent a lot of time there, have many friends there and lived there for over a year.

They most certainly do NOT consider Pele as better than El Diego, that is an absolute joke and I never, EVER met anybody with that opinion. You may want to show me where this is "well documented" as I think it is utter shite.

The 2010 team was amazing and should have achieved more. Similarly in 2006.

Archived