John Rankin

jbee647

Is anyone actually genuinely annoyed about the "lack of experience" with our set-up?

You need new ideas sometimes, and experience doesn't necessarily equate to being decent.  I'd rather give someone the job based on their ideas and vision rather than the fact that they've been with X, Y and Z.

Would you rather we had a Terry Butcher or Gordon Strachan in?  Lots of experience there, but also lots of complete **** ups as well.

We've got what we've got, and they'll come good.  You need more patience than half a season though.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone actually genuinely concerned about the "lack of experience" with our set-up?   Yes

You need new ideas sometimes, and experience doesn't necessarily equate to being decent.  I'd rather give someone the job based on their ideas and vision rather than the fact that they've been with X, Y and Z.

Would you rather we had a Terry Butcher or Gordon Strachan in?  Why not through in Blobby Williamson to support your point - not all experienced Managers are hopeless Lots of experience there, but also lots of complete **** ups as well.

We've got what we've got, and they'll come good.  You need more patience than half a season though.

Is anyone actually genuinely annoyed about the "lack of experience" with our set-up?

Would you rather we had a Terry Butcher or Gordon Strachan in?  Lots of experience there, but also lots of complete **** ups as well.

For me I want someone with experience but not so much that they takeover. Just an experienced head that will make sure the dressing room is understanding and keep Cathro's authority steady. Having someone to do team talks and make sure the motivation and drive is there is a biggie (I dunno if thats there at the moment) Cathro and MacPhee both seem a bit analysty and having that gritty scotsman in there to make sure that the players are motivated enough to carryout instruction would help I think.

You miss the point then - out of ALL the appointments Levein has made, not one is an experienced Head Coach

Simple an experienced operator would not work under the current regime and conditions which is looking more like a dictatorship rather than a menoring role to develop young coaches

GlasgoJambo

This correct - this is the point I was trying to make

So your groundbreaking point conflated with babble was we should have a manager with more experience :lol:

You should start a thread about that.

So your groundbreaking point conflated with babble was we should have a manager with more experience :lol:

You should start a thread about that.

:vrwow:

Simple an experienced operator would not work under the current regime and conditions which is looking more like a dictatorship rather than a menoring role to develop young coaches

Indeed.

A poster joked a week or two ago about Rankin being employed by us at some point due to his Dundee Utd links. Never dreamed it would actually happen.

Bungalow Bill

Interesting piece on Rankin's views on some young players attitude.

John Rankin Gives Worrying Insight into Attitude of Young Scottish Players

John Rankin has given a worrying insight into the attitude of young Scottish football players.

The midfielder is still going strong at the age of 33, playing for Queen of the South towards the end of a career that?s seen him turn out for Ross County, Inverness, Hibs, Dundee United and Falkirk.

He?s managed to forge a 13-year career in Scotland, making 525 appearances, and a big part of that will be down to his hard-working attitude to training and playing.

But Rankin insists it?s something that?s missing with a lot of youngsters these days, who are unprepared to make sacrifices if it means missing the cinema or Nando?s after training.

And his rant about the approach from young players he?s experienced should put worry into the minds of Scottish football fans who desperately want the country to improve.

It comes after SFA Performance Director Malky Mackay criticised young players in Scotland for not doing enough to make it in the game:

It feels like Scottish football is at a pivotal point in its history ? where young players have to change their approach to getting better or risk the national falling into a downward spiral.

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/03/john-rankin-gives-worrying-insight-into-attitude-of-young-scottish-players/

Funny he mentions Nandos when we've also appointed Carrick as a coach. There's a guy who was never out of the place.

airdriejambo3

Interesting comment I picked up on Facebook -

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager.  Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

my thoughts would be Sir Alex Ferguson once hadn't any experience as a first team coach or manager.

Harry Potter

my thoughts would be Sir Alex Ferguson once hadn't any experience as a first team coach or manager.

Your comparing Cathro to Fergie, ok, nice idea but its a huge big ask.

airdriejambo3

Your comparing Cathro to Fergie, ok, nice idea but its a huge big ask.

I knew somebody would try that one,  I was saying everybody has to start somewhere and nowhere in my comment did I say anything about talent only experience. 

Maybe Dale realises the error in that now though [emoji4] if Rankin can install good basic practices in our youngsters re training, attitudes & work ethic that has to be a good thing imo.

you just need to read Ryan frasers experience when he moved to Bournemouth and couldn't cook and was living off take aways

Winston Ingram

Knew Rankin through a mutual friend a few years ago... was in youth system at Manchester United, absolutely brilliant attitude and approach as a player (completely tee total, not the be all and end all but a sign of what he was like). Think he would be an excellent influence on young kids as a role model. 

He is involved with the U17s ffs... can't understand why people would get remotely upset by this. Are we supposed to hire the same older Scottish coaches who have produced absolutely nobody of note for two decades?! 

Knew Rankin through a mutual friend a few years ago... was in youth system at Manchester United, absolutely brilliant attitude and approach as a player (completely tee total, not the be all and end all but a sign of what he was like). Think he would be an excellent influence on young kids as a role model.

He is involved with the U17s ffs... can't understand why people would get remotely upset by this. Are we supposed to hire the same older Scottish coaches who have produced absolutely nobody of note for two decades?!

He might be great, but it does seem our approach to hiring coaches is pretty similar to the approach Gary Locke had to signing players, which I'm pretty sure he was ridiculed on here many times for.

Winston Ingram

He might be great, but it does seem our approach to hiring coaches is pretty similar to the approach Gary Locke had to signing players, which I'm pretty sure he was ridiculed on here many times for.

How many players did Gary Locke sign for us?

If the allegation is Locke signed same people at different clubs, the issue there is that they had failed elsewhere.... an allegation that cannot possibly be aimed at youth coaches like John Rankin. 

Serious question, who would you suggest we had coaching our U17s? 

Yeah

Wonder if Hearts and Craig Levein have a limited network they can call on

But it is always a concern

rudi must stay

Heard him on a few occasions talking about his thoughts on the game etc.

I quite like the bloke, don't care that he was with the shite.

Hopefully a good move.

Cracking player, his style was very unscottish, with a great attitude. I think he could do very well

JeanLouisValois84

Shame that Dale Carrick didn't make it as a full time player, can't believe how far he's fell As a player. Looked a cracking prospect at one point.

Footballfirst

Shame that Dale Carrick didn't make it as a full time player, can't believe how far he's fell As a player. Looked a cracking prospect at one point.

Will we still have to pay his wages if he pulls a hamstring while laying out the cones for training :whistling:

Wish him well with an open mind and without the chronic chat of utter dullards regarding this notion of 'jobs for the boys'.

The jobs for the boys theory was shat into the public domain when Scottish international player, Don Cowie was signed. He's been a fairly good signing, all in all. Maybe some missed that signing amongst all the other Scottish national team players that we have.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

John Rankin speaks very well and I like his ideas about lower league players working for the club they play for in a coaching capacity.

And his views on young players are spot on.

Also; the fact he has been involved at Manchester United at a young age will stand him in great stead. That's where the best academy in Britain is and we should be picking Johns brains about his time there.

queensferryjambo

Just out of interest how is there a Levein / Rankin Dundee Utd link? Levein left United 2009 and Rankin was at Hibs he only joined United in 2011.

Sure there was the same accusations when Neilson joined as Manager and they weren't at Utd at the same time either. In fact Neilson was working at Hearts prior to Levein turning up.

Is everything a Craig Levein conspiracy at the moment?

Oh and I hated Rankin as a player at Hibs but think he puts himself over very well when he is on the Radio going interviews and punditry.

Just out of interest how is there a Levein / Rankin Dundee Utd link? Levein left United 2009 and Rankin was at Hibs he only joined United in 2011.

Sure there was the same accusations when Neilson joined as Manager and they weren't at Utd at the same time either. In fact Neilson was working at Hearts prior to Levein turning up.

Oh and I hated Rankin as a player at Hibs but think he puts himself over very well when he is on the Radio going interviews and punditry.

don't post facts it shows up certain peoples agendas

Ricardo Shillyshally

People who are slagging off this appointment, probably because of a dislike for Levein, are clueless in my opinion.

Jobs for the boys ? I don't think so.

So for those who think this way, what would you do ? If coaches are required to help the U17s and Academy players, who would you bring in ? And what would those you name being to the party,

I await responses with baited breath.

Maybe there was an extensive interview process, but it doesn't come across that way. Hence, it feels like jobs for the boys wether that is actually the case or not.

Cathro getting compared to Fergie - I assume they are referring to the Fergie that was married to Prince Andrew......

Interesting comment I picked up on Facebook -

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager.  Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

Our most experienced head coach we've ever had was Malofeev.  He was a feckin disaster.

Prior experience does not guarantee success.  

Now bringing Malofeev into play - getting desperate guys....

Now bringing Malofeev into play - getting desperate guys....

You asked for thoughts.  Do you want people's thoughts or not?

Anyway, as you probably know Cathro and McPhee have both been 1st team coaches (but not head coaches).  Daly and Rankin haven't, but then again they don't really need to have been, given their jobs at Hearts.

fabienleclerq

John Rankin speaks very well and I like his ideas about lower league players working for the club they play for in a coaching capacity.

And his views on young players are spot on.

Also; the fact he has been involved at Manchester United at a young age will stand him in great stead. That's where the best academy in Britain is and we should be picking Johns brains about his time there.

Agree with that except United having the best academy, maybe in the past but looking at the recent article posted they don't have the best acadamy in Manchester.

Clerry Jambo

Totally agree WInston lets see what the guy can do

gorgie rd eh11

So everybody claiming it's a "jobs for the boys" appointment is talking s***e?

:stuart:

Why anybody would have a problem with this baffles me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You miss the point then - out of ALL the appointments Levein has made, not one is an experienced Head Coach

Cathro is the only one he has appointed as Head Coach so the others are of no relevence. Why would he employ an experienced head coach as the under 17s coach?

plastic_bas

Is the right time to point out that Levein didn't sign Rankin for Dundee utd? I don't think he's ever worked with him before.

Cathro is the only one he has appointed as Head Coach so the others are of no relevence. Why would he employ an experienced head coach as the under 17s coach?

Robbie Neilson.

You continue to miss the point I was making and the big picture -

Levein has a policy of appointing young guys as first team Head Coach with NO first team Head Coaching experience.  That is a major concern to me and many other Hearts fans.

Robbie Neilson.

You continue to miss the point I was making and the big picture -

Levein has a policy of appointing young guys as first team Head Coach with NO first team Head Coaching experience. That is a major concern to me and many other Hearts fans.

Ann Budge makes the appointments

Levein recommends

You asked for thoughts.  Do you want people's thoughts or not?

Anyway, as you probably know Cathro and McPhee have both been 1st team coaches (but not head coaches).  Daly and Rankin haven't, but then again they don't really need to have been, given their jobs at Hearts.

No disrespect but your example of Malofeef to support your opinion was a bit extreme. 

I agree on your final point - neither Cathro or Macphee have any experience as a Head Coach.

My point is that Levein is treating the Club as his personal Academy for young coaches.  Hearts are a big Club and deserve to have an experienced Head Coach or Manager with a good track record in place - or is that my "sense of entitlement" rearing up again?  :tiny:

jamboinglasgow

Robbie Neilson.

You continue to miss the point I was making and the big picture -

Levein has a policy of appointing young guys as first team Head Coach with NO first team Head Coaching experience.  That is a major concern to me and many other Hearts fans.

Robbie Neilson had no previous managerial experience, only a short period as assistant at East Fife. Despite what people say about this season under Robbie it worked out well overall.

jamboinglasgow

My point is that Levein is treating the Club as his personal Academy for young coaches.  Hearts are a big Club and deserve to have an experienced Head Coach or Manager with a good track record in place - or is that my "sense of entitlement" rearing up again?  :tiny:

He said that when he started his role as director of football that was his plan. Funny how people have a real problem with it when results aren't going well and did not complain when we were winning.

Ann Budge makes the appointments

Levein recommends

Ann Budge is a very able business woman who is dealing with the off pitch issues fantastically well.  She has already stated that she knows nothing of the football side and totally relies on Levein to run this.  As such I would very much doubt if she would not rubber stamp any recommendation he makes.

Robbie Neilson had no previous managerial experience, only a short period as assistant at East Fife. Despite what people say about this season under Robbie it worked out well overall.

One success story doesn't mean constant replication though. 

He said that when he started his role as director of football that was his plan. Funny how people have a real problem with it when results aren't going well and did not complain when we were winning.

Well in that case the plan isn't really working at this moment in time.  Especially when he's interfering himself whilst insisting his isn't. 

Ann Budge is a very able business woman who is dealing with the off pitch issues fantastically well. She has already stated that she knows nothing of the football side and totally relies on Levein to run this. As such I would very much doubt if she would not rubber stamp any recommendation he makes.

But it could be Ann Budge who decides its time to change and that's the director of football as well as the manager.

Why is it funny?

Pretty obvious that if the team is consistently improving, playing well, and winning games, that the plan is working. Therefore no grounds for complaint.

If however the team is NOT consistently improving, playing well, and winning games, then that would indicate that the plan is NOT working!  Therefore grounds for concern and complaint surely!

Archived