John Rankin

jbee647

Just seen John Rankin at the Oriam in full Hearts training gear

Anyone know if he's involved in our coaching department now ?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
millerjames398

Might have been don Cowie?think they look similar, were you close enough to get a good look?

Might have been don Cowie?think they look similar, were you close enough to get a good look?

Yep definitely him

millerjames398

Yep definitely him

First I'd heard he was part of the coaching staff,plenty experience to pass onto the young lads [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

thehibsareintheirbeds

Seems to be captain at Queen of the south just now, left falkirk in january- been playing regularly too. Interesting move for him, another Dundee United connection I guess

jamboinglasgow

First I'd heard he was part of the coaching staff,plenty experience to pass onto the young lads [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I remember hearing before that we want each youth age group to have two coaches, one who is an ex pro to provide that experience to the players.

OmiyaHearts

I remember hearing before that we want each youth age group to have two coaches, one who is an ex pro to provide that experience to the players.

Do you mean ex-pro or ex-Dundee United player?

He's been coaching for a good few months, I pointed towards it on the Dillon thread when someone mentioned him coming in to coach the first team.

Wondering when we will sign Stephen Thompson, he's about the only one left we've not brought in with a Dundee United connection.

Dundee-546100.jpg

gorgie rd eh11

He will be able to pass on his diving technique which successfully won hibs a penalty at Easter road against us.

He will be able to pass on his diving technique which successfully won hibs a penalty at Easter road against us.

To be fair, he got up and can be clearly seen telling Dougie McCheatinghibsfecker that it wasn't a penalty. Justice prevailed in the end with Suso and Big Davie O. :)

Anyway, I like Rankin from what I've seen/heard plus his squiggler won me money when I bet Hibs to beat Celtic!

Welcome aboard, John...and welcome back, Dale.

Todays random trivia:

Did you know John Rankin was once on the books of Corinthians in Brazil!!

blew my mind that fact when I first heard it :o

Interesting comment I picked up on Facebook -

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager.  Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

The Apprentice

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager. Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

McPhee had experience of being a first team coach before he joined us.

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager.  Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

Mcphee is an assistant manager and was doing that role at various teams before he came. 

Mcphee is an assistant manager and was doing that role at various teams before he came. 

Assistant coach - not THE first team Coach or Manager

McPhee had experience of being a first team coach before he joined us.

Sorry I must have missed that - what Club was he at when he was the First Team Coach (not Assistant)?

Cairneyhill Jambo

Sorry I must have missed that - what Club was he at when he was the First Team Coach (not Assistant)?

Cupar Hearts :sunny:

GlasgoJambo

"Levein has brought in Cathro, McPhee, Daly, and now Rankine - none of which have any experience whatsoever as a first team Coach or Manager. Levein 'the pupper master' reigns supreme"

Thoughts?

None of them are women either. Levein the sexist reigns supreme.

Thoughts?

Cathro has experience as a first team coach! Just not any experience as head coach.

MacPhee was assistant at St. Mirren when they won the league cup and beat Hearts (and Celtic in the semi), and he's with N.Ireland helping them bring success (at the Euros last year and their WC qualifying campaign).

The Levein criticism is generally fair, (e.g. master of puppets) but some of the arguments are skewed.

OmiyaHearts

The amount of inexperienced coaches getting work at Hearts is unreal.

Should our expectations be limited to being happy in the top six, considering how new to coaching everyone is?

The Apprentice

Oh come on! He was Danny Lennon's assistant at St Mirren when they won a cup and has been Michael O'Neil's assistant during a successful period for NI.

An assistant manager is just as good if not better than a 'First Team Coach' - unless you are classing that in the same category as a Head Coach

Oh come on! He was Danny Lennon's assistant at St Mirren when they won a cup and has been Michael O'Neil's assistant during a successful period for NI.

An assistant manager is just as good if not better than a 'First Team Coach' - unless you are classing that in the same category as a Head Coach

Apologies - I meant Head Coach

Cathro has experience as a first team coach! Just not any experience as head coach.

MacPhee was assistant at St. Mirren when they won the league cup and beat Hearts (and Celtic in the semi), and he's with N.Ireland helping them bring success (at the Euros last year and their WC qualifying campaign).

The Levein criticism is generally fair, (e.g. master of puppets) but some of the arguments are skewed.

This correct - this is the point I was trying to make

jamboinglasgow

Thoughts?

Very odd.

Does that poster on facebook think we could get a former manager in as a U17 coach? Does he see not know that Cathro was an assistant and first team coach (jobs kind of melted together) in 3 different countries? That MacPhee has been a manager before? That most positions at clubs below the first team are taken by up and coming coaches?

Someone is trying  very hard to twist things towards their point of view.

Morgaro Gomis

This correct - this is the point I was trying to make

It's a largely irrelevant point. Why should you need Head Coach experience to be an assistant, or U20 manager/coach? What self respecting, established, "Head Coach" is going to come in and coach the kids?

Very odd.

Does that poster on facebook think we could get a former manager in as a U17 coach? Does he see not know that Cathro was an assistant and first team coach (jobs kind of melted together) in 3 different countries? That MacPhee has been a manager before? That most positions at clubs below the first team are taken by up and coming coaches?

Someone is trying  very hard to twist things towards their point of view.

Do you think Hearts are a big enough Club to deserve a fully experienced Head Coach

....or is that my "sense of entitlement" kicking in again?

It's a largely irrelevant point. Why should you need Head Coach experience to be an assistant, or U20 manager/coach? What self respecting, established, "Head Coach" is going to come in and coach the kids?

You miss the point then - out of ALL the appointments Levein has made, not one is an experienced Head Coach

jamboinglasgow

Do you think Hearts are a big enough Club to deserve a fully experienced Head Coach

....or is that my "sense of entitlement" kicking in again?

No, but I want the best person for a job. And sometimes that means taking a chance on a person who has no experience as head coach but has plenty of other experience in other roles where they are mentored and learning from an experienced coach, and has the right attributes to do well.

Morgaro Gomis

You miss the point then - out of ALL the appointments Levein has made, not one is an experienced Head Coach

Correct. Which is exactly what was said would happen under this regime.

I still fail to see the issue. I'd rather take a chance on Cathro, who I reckon will still come good (despite a truly awful start, I concede), than go down the old faces route that is currently deep routed within Scottish football. That may just be me though.

No, but I want the best person for a job. And sometimes that means taking a chance on a person who has no experience as head coach but has plenty of other experience in other roles where they are mentored and learning from an experienced coach, and has the right attributes to do well.

Indeed that is the huge debate by Hearts fans.

Was Cathro "the best person for the job"?  Should we accept Levein's philosophy of bringing in experienced Coaches with no Head Coach track record?

Time will tell.

Correct. Which is exactly what was said would happen under this regime.

I still fail to see the issue. I'd rather take a chance on Cathro, who I reckon will still come good (despite a truly awful start, I concede), than go down the old faces route that is currently deep routed within Scottish football. That may just be me though.

Of course it is an issue!!  Right now Levein's appointment of Cathro looks to be a disaster - on that basis it is an issue for discussion.

Archived