Marine A

Maroon Sailor

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got to ask how this was even allowed to get to the high court.

Saw his missus outside court there and the only people with bigger smiles were the lawyers.

I'm sure all the British soldiers who are only alive today due to the Geneva convention are ecstatic at the news that the UK no longer thinks it has to give it much attention. 

Could have sworn we used to charge republicans with murder for the same thing.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm sure all the British soldiers who are only alive today due to the Geneva convention are ecstatic at the news that the UK no longer thinks it has to give it much attention. 

Could have sworn we used to charge republicans with murder for the same thing.

It does feel like a catalogue of excuses have been made for this guy.

What's really hard to tell is whether they're valid excuses. I've no idea. But it sounded on the video like he knew exactly what he was doing.

doctor jambo

Sadly for those who wish, mental illness is really easy to fake.

Answer the questions correctly and BINGO its manslaughter

Just for everyones information the incidence of PTSD in the armed forces is actually LOWER than it is in the general population

If I was up on a charge- that's what I'd be doing- faking PTSD

John Findlay

He did know what he was doing. Complete lack of discipline from the top down. It was right he did gaol time. One of the differences between us and the Taliban is that we signed up to the Geneva convention and as a signatory we abide by it. This Royal Marine did not and rightly suffered the consequences.

davemclaren

Just for everyones information the incidence of PTSD in the armed forces is actually LOWER than it is in the general population

remind me not to visit your surgery. :)

Is it lower because they're less likely to come forward, due to the 'macho' image, or is it just lower?

Nice to see common sense has been applied, i'm sure everyone would be happy to see justice done and Michael Adebolajo to have the same ruling applied. 

He did know what he was doing. Complete lack of discipline from the top down. It was right he did gaol time. One of the differences between us and the Taliban is that we signed up to the Geneva convention and as a signatory we abide by it. This Royal Marine did not and rightly suffered the consequences.

After a quick glance on an armed forces forum and from my general observations, I find it quite telling that current or ex members of the armed forces are significantly more likely to be in the 'he deserved punishment' camp than the general public are.

Didn't know a thing about this story so I googled it.

It seems to me that he definitely deserved some form of punishment.

GorgieMIlls

Really uncomfortable with this - we ahve to be seen to set a higher example or it makes us no better than the enemy and it was clearly an execution.

Swap the marine and the Taliban soldier round and would there be a campaign for him to be freed on mental health grounds?? 

Got to agree with all that.

There seems to be some people almost making this guy out to be some kind of hero.

Didn't know a thing about this story so I googled it.

It seems to me that he definitely deserved some form of punishment.

His new sentence is 7 years

Looks like he executed the guy in cold blood.

Will likely be lauded as a hero though.

When you see the audio script of what was said it is pretty damming.

He clearly knew what he was doing - whether it is acceptable in combat is another issue but I feel everything was done to free him and almost make him a hero in some way.

Whole thing sits uncomfortable with me tbh

He's not had his conviction quashed.

He's not innocent.

His crime was downgraded from murder to manslaughter.

He's spent the allotted time for that offence in jail.

He's now being released.

He still killed an injured enemy in cold blood.

He is not a fecking hero.

Thunderstruck

The words of Col Tim Collins speak for themselves:

It is a big step to take another human life.

It is not to be done lightly.

I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.

I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.

The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.

You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest - for your deeds will follow you down through history.

We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.

doctor jambo

He's not had his conviction quashed.

He's not innocent.

His crime was downgraded from murder to manslaughter.

He's spent the allotted time for that offence in jail.

He's now being released.

He still killed an injured enemy in cold blood.

He is not a fecking hero.

Indeed, he executed an injured prisoner

Difficult to pass judgement on someone's state of mind when you haven't experienced that stuff for yourself or been in that blokes position. 6 month tour ! Constant contacts with taliban. Constant threat to your life when out on the ground !

This is not me defending the guy. Merely saying don't think many people here can fully comprehend what's going on in someone's head after all that . And like others have said the guy has still been convicted of killing someone and was dishonourably discharged from the marines !

Jaw dropping post assuming you are actually a doctor.

Do you have a source we could read in regards to your statement on PTSD in the armed forces vs general population. Seems a massive claim to make.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Difficult to pass judgement on someone's state of mind when you haven't experienced that stuff for yourself or been in that blokes position. 6 month tour ! Constant contacts with taliban. Constant threat to your life when out on the ground !

This is not me defending the guy. Merely saying don't think many people here can fully comprehend what's going on in someone's head after all that . And like others have said the guy has still been convicted of killing someone and was dishonourably discharged from the marines !

The army is a professional career though - and six month tours of Afghanistan with the Taliban shooting at you are what you're trained and paid for.

I don't doubt it's stressful but that's pretty obvious before you sign up.

He's not a hero however; my boss's daughter went with the marine that was GOING to kill the prisoner until his superior said that he would do it. Apparently the "prisoner" was very heavily wounded (ie - body parts missing and most of his blood gone) and would have died in any case. Seems Marine A put him out of his misery with a single shot to the chest.

I cant argue if any of this is true or not it's just what my Director told me.

If it is true then it puts a different slant on it. He still executed the prisoner theres no denying it.

doctor jambo

Do you have a source we could read in regards to your statement on PTSD in the armed forces vs general population. Seems a massive claim to make.

find it yourself , but its true.....

Correct, war is ****ed up and I could only imagine what it would do to anyone's head. But, in this instance, we have a recording of what happened exactly and it makes it much easier to try and figure out what was going through his head.

Some choice quotes from the footage;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/25/royal-marines-court-martial-video-transcript

00:00:45 Marine A: Right, get him closer in so PGSS {British observation balloon} can't see what we're doing to him.

00:01:36 Marine C: I'll put one in his head, if you want

00:01:50 Marine A: No, not in his head, 'cause that'll be ****ing obvious

00:00:21 M: Where's that (Where's that Ugly) now? {Ugly is the helicopter}

Marine A: He ? he's over there and he can ****ing see us. Ah.

Marine C: He'll be on ? be behind them trees in a minute.

00:01:02 Marine B: For ****'s sake, I cannot believe I'm doing this

Marine C: Don't ? just ? don't ? yeah, wait a minute, just pretend to do it until he's behind them trees

00:01:08 M: ... just strangle him.

Marine A: Yeah 00:01:11 [Laughs]

Marine B: Yeah, that might ...

00:03:16 Marine A: Where is the CAT, Ugly call sign? {referring to the helicopter again}

Marine B: It's gone that way.

?Marine A: Yeah Marine B: Went South, mate.

Advertisement

00:03:20 [GUNSHOT] {This is the moment when A allegedly shoots the prisoner}

00:03:50 Marine A: Obviously, this doesn't go anywhere, fellas.

Marine B: Yeah, roger, mate.

Marine A: I've just broke the Geneva Convention

00:03:54 Marine B: Yeah, roge.

It was a pretty clear and calculated effort to execute him and cover it up. That can't be denied

I asked the same earlier and was roundly ignored. Hope you get a proper answer.

doctor jambo

Correct, war is ****ed up and I could only imagine what it would do to anyone's head. But, in this instance, we have a recording of what happened exactly and it makes it much easier to try and figure out what was going through his head.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/oct/25/royal-marines-court-martial-video-transcript

It was a pretty clear and calculated effort to execute him and cover it up. That can't be denied

not in control of his mind due to mental disorder that.

PLanned, delayed , methods considered, jokes made. efforts to avoid detection and awareness that he has broken the law

Helllloooooo mens rea

find it yourself , but its true.....

Ive always had difficulty finding things that don't exist so we'll just have to leave it hanging as an unproven statement.

doctor jambo

Ive always had difficulty finding things that don't exist so we'll just have to leave it hanging as an unproven statement.

Going to the bathroom must be a real challenge for you :toilet:

The Real Maroonblood

Nice one... glad to see you will have your freedom back very soon and not before time Mr Blackman

Agreed.

No big deal. The deceased family can sue the MoD.

deesidejambo

Shocking. Claiming mental disorder is ****ing insult.

Mental illness is a serious issue and trivialising it by getting people off on charges by fabricating illness is not on.

**** the courts.

doctor jambo

Incidence of PTSD in UK Iraq war vets- 3-6 %

Lifetime incidence In men in general population 7-8 %

women 10-11 %

thems the official stats

Vietnam vets was higher than Iraq war and the US vets are more likely than UK vets

Rocco_Jambo

Shocking. Claiming mental disorder is ******* insult.

Mental illness is a serious issue and trivialising it by getting people off on charges by fabricating illness is not on.

**** the courts.

Who's trivialising it? 3 psychiatrists concluded he was suffering from mental illness and the prosecution accepted he was suffering from mental illness at the time.

It's hardly as if he just said he was feeling a bit depressed at the time.

The Real Maroonblood

Shocking. Claiming mental disorder is ******* insult.

**** the courts.

What a drama queen.

doctor jambo

Who's trivialising it? 3 psychiatrists concluded he was suffering from mental illness and the prosecution accepted he was suffering from mental illness at the time.

It's hardly as if he just said he was feeling a bit depressed at the time.

They concluded that based on what he told them they back dated a diagnosis to a time when none of them new him or spoke to him.

Psychiatrists just make stuff up all the time!

doctor jambo

women 10-11 %

thems the official stats

Vietnam vets was higher than Iraq war and the US vets are more likely than UK vets

Vets don't have a monopoly on trauma you know....

women 10-11 %

thems the official stats

Post a link or sit down and shut up

women 10-11 %

thems the official stats

Quite considerably higher in the US:

4% Av Men Population

10% Av Women Population

10.1% - 12.1% US Veterans from Iraq

30.9% US Male Vietnam Vets

26.9% Us Female Vietnam Vets

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/ptsd-overview/basics/how-common-is-ptsd.asp

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/ptsd-overview/epidemiological-facts-ptsd.asp

Summary of Veterans Statistics for PTSD, TBI, Depression and Suicide. According to RAND, at least 20% of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have PTSD and/or Depression. ... in times of peace, in any given year, about 4% (actually 3.6%) of the general population have PTSD (caused by natural disasters, car accidents, abuse, etc.)

Link to follow

doctor jambo

Post a link or sit down and shut up

I wouldn't know how to.

I am sat down ta, and calm yourself down

PTSD is not even close to being the biggest mental health problem in vets

and the stats are real

you have google

First I've seen those transcripts ! And to be fair your right the evidence is damning . And he was convicted of killing someone .

Rocco_Jambo

They concluded that based on what he told them they back dated a diagnosis to a time when none of them new him or spoke to him.

Psychiatrists just make stuff up all the time!

Aye okay then. QC for the prosecution spent hours cross examining them and reading relevant documents to thereafter accept that he had a mental illness when all he needed to do was bring in Doctor Jambo with his "liar, liar, pants on fire" cross examination.

Psychiatrists perjure themselves all the time right enough. Chortle.

I have no idea if marine A was mentally ill or not.I find the scenes outside the court speeches flag waving etc out of order. Marine A is still guilty of killing someone an unarmed injured man at that.

Is this what we call heroes now?

If it is we are no better than the Taliban imo.

The Real Maroonblood

I have no idea if marine A was mentally ill or not.I find the scenes outside the court speeches flag waving etc out of order. Marine A is still guilty of killing someone an unarmed injured man at that.

Is this what we call heroes now?

If it is we are no better than the Taliban imo.

Who has called him a hero?

Archived