Tartan Trousers?

alwaysthereinspirit

Made to measure, Military cut. Any recommendations. Preferably Edinburgh.

Don't do it, they're ridiculous things.

Correct. Get a kilt instead.

Seconded, if you are going wear our made up national dress, go the full monty, not the watered down version. Make sure Brogues or Ghillies as minimum footwear !

Depends on the tartan but Armstrong along grass market do a lot of good second hand military kilts. They have trousers as well not sure of the quality

Depends on the tartan but Armstrong along grass market do a lot of good second hand military kilts

You can the full kit from there, better to do this than get one one these "party" style outfits. Proper outfit is a family heirloom, even worn very regularly, a good kilt will last for generations, still fancy dress !

alwaysthereinspirit

I have the full ensemble but was looking to maybe change it up a wee bit. Sounds like a big no though.

Nothing wrong with tartan trousers imo they get a bad rep due to the cheap shitey ones getting an airing far more often than good ones. It all depends on the tartan. Some tartans are Nicer than others, same for kilts.

Not a fan on most occasions but I have seen them looking good sometimes. Needs to be a subtle tartan I think.

Not a fan on most occasions but I have seen them looking good sometimes. Needs to be a subtle tartan I think.

I think dress tartans look good in trouser form. Dress stewart/Mcdonald would both look good, fly plaid with the Prince Charlie Jacket would look super especially if they are fitted.

I've always fancied a tartan suit. Red or yellow perhaps.

You are a very strange person.

been here before

You are a very strange person.

From an individual who seems to conduct his whole day, ever day, on an internet message board?

You'd know I suppose.

Anything to add to the thread or you just want to keep with the insults?

King Of The Cat Cafe

Don't do it, they're ridiculous things.

This.

David Niven, the actor, recalled in his autobiography that after he had been to Sandhurst, he asked to be posted to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders or the Black Watch, then put on the form as his third choice "anything but the Highland Light Infantry" as he hated the fact the HLI wore tartan trews rather than kilts.

The army showed it too had a sense of humour. By posting him to the HLI

Indeed.

He just seems to follow folk around the board having wee pops.

He's very tedious.

What was your previous username again?

been here before

What was your previous username again?

*** knows it was years ago but see if I could remember that, or what my password was then I wouldnt have this one.

So are you going to actually add anything to the subject of any of the copious amounts of threads you post on, this one included or are you just here to make snidey personal posts and post nothing but hilarious 'quips' about dawnrazor all over the place?

*** knows it was years ago but see if I could remember that, or what my password was then I wouldnt have this one.

So are you going to actually add anything to the subject of any of the copious amounts of threads you post on, this one included or are you just here to make snidey personal posts and post nothing but hilarious 'quips' about dawnrazor all over the place?

You've got me wrong mate.

Don't actually know what your beef is.

been here before

What bit is wrong?

I dont have a beef but then Im not the one floating about getting personal in the first place..

If you've anything to contribute to the subject matter of this thread though...

What bit is wrong?

I dont have a beef but then Im not the one floating about getting personal in the first place..

If you've anything to contribute to the subject matter of the thread though...

Well, in that case, I would genuinely like to apologise.

Sorry.

been here before

Sorry.

Nae bother.

Forget it happened.

Sorry.

Edit. Nout to do with me. Staying out of it.

Has anyone got any photographs of someone wearing tartan trousers and not looking like a bit of a tit? I'm not convinced that it is possible.

Has anyone got any photographs of someone wearing tartan trousers and not looking like a bit of a tit? I'm not convinced that it is possible.

C7X7D9tX4AAADlN.jpg

dode weir loves a pair of tartan trousers

been here before

Google Noddy Holder Slade circa 73/74 and prepare to be convinced.

Infact done it for you...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=noddy+holder+1973&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBj7eg1_fSAhWmD8AKHZ1NDpwQ_AUICSgC&biw=320&bih=406

Thats the gear right there.

been here before

Come on feel the noise?

Brilliant stuff.

Slayed? The album.

Two of the first tunes I learned to play were Cum On Feel the Noize and Gudbye T'Jane. Long after they were hits mind you.

**** brilliant bad. Could rock like *****. Hugely under rated due to the glam rock thing and that **** christmas tune.

I can't seem to download it so i can upload it but I'm amazed to say Rod Stewart pulled it off! Search rod Stewart tartan trews. He actually looked decent in them. I'm talking about the photos of him on the way to his knighthood ceremony.

Ronnie Corbett was a fan and looked ok on them.  Perhaps the OP is of similar stature?

alwaysthereinspirit

Ronnie Corbett was a fan and looked ok on them.  Perhaps the OP is of similar stature?

No disrespect to wee Ronnie but thank the **** no.

Samuel Camazzola

Google Noddy Holder Slade circa 73/74 and prepare to be convinced.

Infact done it for you...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=noddy+holder+1973&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBj7eg1_fSAhWmD8AKHZ1NDpwQ_AUICSgC&biw=320&bih=406

Thats the gear right there.

Oh dear!

Brick Tamland

Tartan trews are great. I have two kilts as I have a few black tie doos every year with work and I fancied a wee change and the trews look really smart and English bursd love them as much as the kilt.

I got mine second hand from Armstrongs a good few years ago and they are the proper thick cut military ones.

A word of caution though, you sweat like a bassa in them as they are feckin roasting.

The Natural Order

Tartan-trousers-at-Ascot-www.ShopCurious

The worst crime in that photo is the bloke wearing black shoes with a blue suit. Arse.

The worst crime in that photo is the bloke wearing black shoes with a blue suit. Arse.

Brown shoes on GTF

Brown shoes on GTF

Would always be my choice but there is a school of thought that with a blue suit it's brown for casual and black for formal.

punkrockcroc

Only ever worked with a bum flap,bondage straps and docs.

:)

Got mine fi ground control on Cockburn street.

Seymour M Hersh

I got a pair of military cut trews from Hector Russell on Princes St many years ago for about ?250. Made to measure, still have them and still fit well and look great. I got the KOSB tartan. As a lowlander trews are the dress wear as a dress tartan kilt is for a highlander. I much refer wearing them to black tie functions because kilts & Prince Charlie inevitably look dishevelled after you've been bevelling whereas trews with the same jacket & waistcoat keep you looking sharp as a tack. However a word of warning you must always buy the military cut version for this as any other type of tartan trouser should only be seen on a golf course (and even then rarely).

Horatio Caine

No, it's the green waistcoat.  Bogging

Made to measure, Military cut. Any recommendations. Preferably Edinburgh.

100% do it BUT the advice I'm going to give you is DO NOT get the military cut. Mine were made to measure and military cut but quickly had the legs slimmed right down and they look slick.

Kilts have lost their appeal with me, every Tom, Dick and Harry knocks about in a kilt these days.

Archived