Hearts supporters club buses how many make the regular away trips now

j1964m

I went on the Manor Hearts Bus from Palmerston Place.

Brilliant.

The Manor was great, good crowd! I only travelled with them once, to a friendly at Brechin! It was in the early '70s and I'm sure we won 0-3! Not sure why the game was played, possibly out of the Scottish Cup. The most impressive thing about the day (apart from the company) was the beech hedge that ran the full length of the 'stadium'!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got on the Gorgie Sons of William bus at Haymarket a few times run by Big Bernie. An education in many ways.

Big Bernie again?

He needs his own thread.

Big Bernie again?

He needs his own thread.

Remember being in a pub in North Shields early 80s pre season,outnumbered by locals and starting to turn nasty,door bursts open Bernie strolls in,locals couldnt get out quick enough.

Remember being in a pub in North Shields early 80s pre season,outnumbered by locals and starting to turn nasty,door bursts open Bernie strolls in,locals couldnt get out quick enough.

Aye, he had that effect on folk!

Harry Potter

Apart from cup final specials its prob down to Orwell,west end,Livvy,graigmillar,Dunfermline & a few others now. Changed days indeed.

Usually go with Orwell now, been with Clermiston , centurian, rainbow and longstone.

I got on Currie Heart's bus at Haymarket a few times in the late 80s.  Does it still run?

been here before

Seemed to be quite a few buses up at Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago.

Do the ones that do continue to run still have 'shields' in the back window with their club name?

Cairneyhill Jambo

Linlithgow and District used to leave from the Unicorn pub in the 80's.

Had many a good laugh.

broxburnjambo

Portobello Hearts supporters club still running bus'es to all domestic away fixtures.

Regular buse's that travel now are and i apologise if i have missed any off or you do indeed run bus'es to away fixtures.  There is off course a number of clubs from outwith the city that run bus'es to home fixtures.

Portobello

Tollcross

Orwell

Livingston

Midlothian

St Andrews

Glasgow

Dunfermline and District

Craigmillar

Prestonpans

Other supporters clubs

Penicuik

Whitburn

Disabled

Lauderdale

Ace of Hearts

Edmonstone

Musselburgh

Danderhall

Manchester

kylelauren01

I'm involved with Dunfermline and District and tbh it's a tough gig getting enough to justify running buses. I take my hat off to Livi, Orwell and Portobello who run come rain or shine but at ?350+ a pop it's just not worth taking the hit and throwing away good money. In the Championship season the novelty value and us winning saw us run 2 buses to most games but when it came to going back to places like Motherwell and Killie the interest dropped off again. Just now the lack of confidence in the team, combined with our really poor away form is affecting numbers looking to travel. Anyhow, I suppose this is a membership plug so anyone living in or around the Dunfermline area (as far south as South Queensferry and as far north as Kinross) is more than welcome to join at ?5 per season and travel with us!!

I used to get on the buses from Tynie In the 90s. Got a tie and a scarf with membership.

Do they still run?

The club still ran charter buses up until 2013. Travelled a few times on them, mostly for convenience.

But nae fun really. Kinda just a no thrills A to B journey.

Speaking of buses, I fancy Saints away but I'm working til 5 in town but live in Dalkeith.

Chances of getting picked up in town and dropped off through there? :lol:

Im with tollcross.picks up at the doocot & spice lounge

Do you's do most away games? This is my area for pick ups so would be good to join if there's spaces of course.

Deans Jambo

There was once a deans & district bus of sorts iirc, I'm sure the guy who fell over the gate at Tynie a few weeks ago was from Broxburn too. [emoji3]

I organised the Deans & district bus but it was mainly just cup finals, went from a mini bus to a 70 seater for 2012 final.

I went on the Livi Hearts bus from around 1995 (Dedridge Hearts as it was at that point, changed to Livingston as the bus grew) into the 2000's, great bus but stopped going on it due to shift work and the convenience of the car or train.

Still a great bunch who go on it, pick up in the Calders now as well as Livingston (obviously).

Going on that bus taught me a lot of new songs! Happy times going to every game with them especially trips to Aberdeen (with a stop at Stonehaven) or Kilmarnock (with a stop at Galston Miners) :)

With a "P" and an "I" and a "VOT" we are the mental "PIVOT". Crazy bus with crazy people on it. Fantastic times and great memories.

Maroon Sailor

Portobello Hearts supporters club still running bus'es to all domestic away fixtures.

Regular buse's that travel now are and i apologise if i have missed any off or you do indeed run bus'es to away fixtures.  There is off course a number of clubs from outwith the city that run bus'es to home fixtures.

Portobello

Tollcross

Orwell

Livingston

Midlothian

St Andrews

Glasgow

Dunfermline and District

Craigmillar

Prestonpans

Other supporters clubs

Penicuik

Whitburn

Disabled

Lauderdale

Ace of Hearts

Edmonstone

Musselburgh

Danderhall

Manchester

Changed days, less than half a dozen buses from within the city

What are the contributing factors for such a decline in supporters buses ?

Prince Buaben

Not as many travel to away games now? Football over priced meaning not much demand. Only a couple of buses picking up in various town locations. Then people in town can also get the train etc?

Are public transport better now than the 70s and 80s? Im only 28 so no idea what it was like?

More people have access to cars?

Maroon Sailor

Not as many travel to away games now? Football over priced meaning not much demand. Only a couple of buses picking up in various town locations. Then people in town can also get the train etc?

Are public transport better now than the 70s and 80s? Im only 28 so no idea what it was like?

There was always the Football Special train in the 70's and 80's.

Hearts still take a decent following and I think fans will pay whatever (to a certain point) if the team is doing well

Think the main one is there are more car owners and maybe going to the football every week was part and parcel of a fans life that you thought nothing of it going to the likes of Greenock on a Wednesday night for a cup replay

John Findlay

Cars. People in 60s, 70s and very early 80s didn't have cars. Supporters bus was the best way.

Maroon Sailor

Cars. People in 60s, 70s and very early 80s didn't have cars. Supporters bus was the best way.

I passed my test 30 years ago and started driving to games but even through the 90's and early 2000's there were still a few Hearts buses (maybe the Fleet more so than supporters buses)

Might have been fewer cars in the 70's and early 80's but we always got stuck in traffic leading up to the Newbridge roundabout off the M8 - never failed !

Regular buse's that travel now are and i apologise if i have missed any off or you do indeed run bus'es to away fixtures. There is off course a number of clubs from outwith the city that run bus'es to home fixtures.

Portobello

Tollcross

Orwell

Livingston

Midlothian

St Andrews

Glasgow

Dunfermline and District

Craigmillar

Prestonpans

Other supporters clubs

Penicuik

Whitburn

Disabled

Lauderdale

Ace of Hearts

Edmonstone

Musselburgh

Danderhall

Manchester

Danderhall Hearts run buses home and away to all competitive matches, we actually don't pick up in Danderhall anymore but the name is historical and has never been changed due to the club having been running for over 60 years, we pick up in Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg and Loanhead, last season at Dingwall on the Wednesday night there were only 3 buses ran, Danderhall and I think Orwell and Portobello.

It is not easy keeping the bus running as costs are high but we have a 53 seat to all home games and vary the away between a 38 and 53

I usually travel with the Auld Gits Supporters Bus.

It leaves from the Bus Station and is free thanks to the Scottish Government.

Only stipulation is you have to be 60+.

Not so good for the out of the way gigs or midweek games though.

My problem with Supporters Clubs nowadays is most of them leave far too early and spend a couple of hours in the pub or club before the game. That's great if you are into that side of things but it's not for everyone.

Cars, probably.  I travel to away games with two mates.  We take it in turns to take the car, which means that you're only on driving duty to every third away game. 

Maroon Sailor

My problem with Supporters Clubs nowadays is most of them leave far too early and spend a couple of hours in the pub or club before the game. That's great if you are into that side of things but it's not for everyone.

I used to pick up a supporters bus at Haymarket. Then loads of members would pile off and straight in to Ryries. Hadn't even got out of Edinburgh and they were on it

Maroon Sailor

A few jambos out that way then, the glory days of the 70/80's won't return but it's heartening to still see busses at away games. Used to like looking at the back windows to see the painted crests of what club it was as a youngster too. [emoji1]

Great when you passed or were passed by a Celtic or Rangers bus on the M8 - abuse and moonies galore

Great when you passed or were passed by a Celtic or Rangers bus on the M8 - abuse and moonies galore

Empty beer cans full of pee launched at said buses through the skylight!

peebles jambo

I used to go on the Penicuik bus years ago, some great trips Paris, Dublin and Munich, plenty laughs on those busses

SwindonJambo

There was always the Football Special train in the 70's and 80's.

Hearts still take a decent following and I think fans will pay whatever (to a certain point) if the team is doing well

Think the main one is there are more car owners and maybe going to the football every week was part and parcel of a fans life that you thought nothing of it going to the likes of Greenock on a Wednesday night for a cup replay

Football Special Trains :)   That's worthy of a thread all of its own!  British Rail/Scotrail used to provide the shittiest Rolling Stock they could dredge up for these services and made them cheaper than the scheduled trains with all interim stops cut out.  For local aways such as Falkirk/Dinfermline plus Cup Finals & Semis, they used to run them as a matter of course.  Any to Glasgow were run on the shitey slow line via Shotts (which has since been much improved). I travelled on one to the '86 Cup Final and some local nitwit huns chucked stuff at our Jambo packed train with flags and banners hanging from the windows as we passed through Carfin or Holytown.

the general

Football Special Trains :)   That's worthy of a thread all of its own!  British Rail/Scotrail used to provide the shittiest Rolling Stock they could dredge up for these services and made them cheaper than the scheduled trains with all interim stops cut out.  For local aways such as Falkirk/Dinfermline plus Cup Finals & Semis, they used to run them as a matter of course.  Any to Glasgow were run on the shitey slow line via Shotts (which has since been much improved). I travelled on one to the '86 Cup Final and some local nitwit huns chucked stuff at our Jambo packed train with flags and banners hanging from the windows as we passed through Carfin or Holytown.

the 2 most memorable trips for me were to Wembley 79 and Liverpool ( Scotland v Wales ) the trains were carnage

I was never a member of any of the clubs.Mates and I were a crowd of nomads.We travelled many times in the late 60s early 70s on the excursion busses that left from St Andrews Square bus station.Used to get our carry out from the off licence corner of elm row /London road.Great times.

Wembley '79.

I'll say no more.

Football Special Trains :) That's worthy of a thread all of its own! British Rail/Scotrail used to provide the shittiest Rolling Stock they could dredge up for these services and made them cheaper than the scheduled trains with all interim stops cut out. For local aways such as Falkirk/Dinfermline plus Cup Finals & Semis, they used to run them as a matter of course. Any to Glasgow were run on the shitey slow line via Shotts (which has since been much improved). I travelled on one to the '86 Cup Final and some local nitwit huns chucked stuff at our Jambo packed train with flags and banners hanging from the windows as we passed through Carfin or Holytown.

I remember going to a cup tie at Greenock on a special train must have been about 1964/65. Anyway on the way back the train got wrecked. I don't just mean vandalised it was totally destroyed practically a shell by the time it got back to Edinburgh.

It was even on the network news all over the UK. What a red face for Hearts fans.

God knows what would have happened if we'd lost.

Do you's do most away games? This is my area for pick ups so would be good to join if there's spaces of course.

We do most of them if numbers are high.

Other times we share with other clubs.

I can Pm u our contact number

SwindonJambo

Wembley '79.

I'll say no more.

I know these trains to Wembley back in the 60s and 70s were wild. Unfortunately that particular year a young Scotland fan was stabbed to death on one of those trains. It was a headline on the ITN News. By fellow Scots fans too IIRC. It seems he tried to prevent a mass drunken sexual assault on a lone female. Unfortunately back in those days the tartan army were not popular at all and had a reputation for drunken violence.

SwindonJambo

I remember going to a cup tie at Greenock on a special train must have been about 1964/65. Anyway on the way back the train got wrecked. I don't just mean vandalised it was totally destroyed practically a shell by the time it got back to Edinburgh.

It was even on the network news all over the UK. What a red face for Hearts fans.

Last September I met an American in his 60s on a train in Italy. He told me that When a student in his late teens, he came to stay in Edinburgh and travelled through to Glasgow for a Rangers European tie with Leeds at Ibrox. Missiles were thrown onto the pitch ceaselessly throughout the 90 minutes and a "red headed player" for Leeds was constantly booed (at a guess Billy Bremner).

After the game, he got back on the train back through to Edinburgh and the scene he described was very similar to yours - the train was literally smashed to a pulp with seats ripped up, windows panned, bulbs nicked, the full works. I'm guessing it was the Shotts line as people got off at all the wee Stations in North Lanarkshire & West Lothian until it was very thinned out upon arrival in Edinburgh, whereupon the Police jumped aboard to inspect the damage. It seems that events like this were commonplace back then.

With a "P" and an "I" and a "VOT" we are the mental "PIVOT". Crazy bus with crazy people on it. Fantastic times and great memories.

SNAP!

Mayfield and Gorbridge. 80s

Great bunch of lads, travelled with them every week ,like Stuart G says it can't be easy to keep a regular bus going , shocked the Danderhall doesn't pick up there.

davemclaren

Got the football special to and from the final in '76. On the way back someone opened the carraige door in the haymarket tunnel. Smashed it up a bit. Didn't stop us going to the World's End for a few beers though. :)

J.T.F.Robertson

I may well have been on that. I do remember travelling on a "special" to Greenock, around that time, being in the bog and a table coming straight through the windae.

Like you say, that was the least of the damage, the whole thing was completely wrecked.

Nowt to do with moi.  :innocent:

Great bunch of lads, travelled with them every week ,like Stuart G says it can't be easy to keep a regular bus going , shocked the Danderhall doesn't pick up there.

I think the Edmonstone bus picks up at Mayfield Labour Club, they only started a few years ago with a minibus but seem to be growing every year, it's good to see new buses emerge but it is sustaining them that is the issue, when the going gets tough it can be difficult to keep buses going and as someone who has been convenor for Danderhall Hearts since 1999 I know how difficult that can be.

I went on the Manor Hearts Bus from Palmerston Place.

Brilliant.

The guy with the full camoflauge outfit and maroon beret. My first away game at parkhead. A real eye opener. Currie Hearts was my regular bus. Crazy bunch!

I used to go on the Queensferry Hearts bus in the late 80's 90's

on that bus in 98 final ! Few other games too. My mate and his family on it all the time.

Fraggle1990

Great times on supporters buses, too bad folk i know would rather train it or drive to away games.

Penicuik Hearts and Orwell Hearts were regulars for me.

I remember getting a bus from the Park Bar(now the kilted pig) to the semi v rangers at hampden, barry basketball ferguson.

Got a bus from Dickens once to Motherwell away I think it was. wow...just wow.

Doctor FinnBarr

the 2 most memorable trips for me were to Wembley 79 and Liverpool ( Scotland v Wales ) the trains were carnage

Jeez, Wembley overnighter from Waverley in 79 was an eye opener for me, never seen so much piss and puke swilling up and down the corridor. Police at Newcastle Central guarding all the doors to make sure we couldn't escape, certain the train had to go via Carlisle then over to Newcastle because of the tunnel collapse somewhere near Grantshouse. 

SwindonJambo

Jeez, Wembley overnighter from Waverley in 79 was an eye opener for me, never seen so much piss and puke swilling up and down the corridor. Police at Newcastle Central guarding all the doors to make sure we couldn't escape, certain the train had to go via Carlisle then over to Newcastle because of the tunnel collapse somewhere near Grantshouse.

Overnighter seated trains from Scotland to London were carnage at the best of times, whether for football or not. For that reason they were finally stopped in the mid 90s sometime and since then it's been sleeper only.

Tunnel collapse is here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmanshiel_Tunnel

Салатные палочки

Overnighter seated trains from Scotland to London were carnage at the best of times, whether for football or not. For that reason they were finally stopped in the mid 90s sometime and since then it's been sleeper only.

Tunnel collapse is here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmanshiel_Tunnel

Early 90s me and my family travelled on an overnight train to London to catch a connecting train to Cornwall for a holiday. About 50 or so Rangers Casuals on board heading for a Chelsea pre season game. That was an eye opener for a young lad. Two of them, one who was a huge bodybuilder type and his wiry mate with a begbie tash got my old man well pissed up. My dad went looking for them after we got off when it transpired the body builder one tried to fire into my sisters pal when she went to the toilet. She was 15 at the time. Thankfully my mum talked some sense into him.

No wonder they stopped them. Think it was the same summer of the trouble involving the ICF down in London.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

SwindonJambo

Early 90s me and my family travelled on an overnight train to London to catch a connecting train to Cornwall for a holiday. About 50 or so Rangers Casuals on board heading for a Chelsea pre season game. That was an eye opener for a young lad. Two of them, one who was a huge bodybuilder type and his wiry mate with a begbie tash got my old man well pissed up. My dad went looking for them after we got off when it transpired the body builder one tried to fire into my sisters pal when she went to the toilet. She was 15 at the time. Thankfully my mum talked some sense into him.

No wonder they stopped them. Think it was the same summer of the trouble involving the ICF down in London.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I remember you telling us a fuller version of this story on the Shed a while back Salad. A gripping read and scary stuff.  People like that are bad news and best avoided. I'm told those crazy trains that took Scotland fans to away games in the 60s and 70s were chock full of heidbangers like that with piss and puik everywhere.

Archived