Furthest you have travelled to see Hearts

jambo1961

Jimmy_McNulty

Traveling from Canada next week, and will take in the Dundee game while I am at it.

Not sure how far that is, and admittedly I am coming back from another reason, but whatevs....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bowmans_Boot

I flew from Florida to France when we played Bordeaux as I was on holiday with the family but took 2 days to attend the match.

I was not a particularly popular chap doing that let me tell you!

Unsurprisingly, though, eh? Thats dedication!! Other than a cup final/potential league win there is no way I would return from a holiday to see a match.

Talin from alicante for me.One of the best trips of my life met a lot of really good jambos some that post on here.Wont be missing any more european trips from now on.Trouble is the bird has made it clear shes going with me from now on

Hell no

Get that sorted lol

been here before

Unsurprisingly, though, eh? Thats dedication!! Other than a cup final/potential league win there is no way I would return from a holiday to see a match.

Done that for the Hibs cup game at Tynecastle in February. Drove down on Saturday morning for a holday in the north of England then drove back up with the boy on the Sunday morning, leaving at 7:30.

Dinner in Sainsburys, turgid, god awful game in the bollock cold, then drive straight back down on holiday again getting back about 6-7pm.

Really wasnt worth it!

chester copperpot

That ship has now sailed mate.

Que sera and all that. New Mrs ken's the score.

No-one else go to Liege in 92?

Was just about to post about this. Bus from Tynie. Felt like it was much further.

Trip back was murder especially after sampling the local brews. Can mind one guy lying totally sparkled on the terracing.

portobellojambo1

Was just about to post about this. Bus from Tynie. Felt like it was much further.

Trip back was murder especially after sampling the local brews. Can mind one guy lying totally sparkled on the terracing.

From memory there was a fair number who went to Liege who never made the match, in fact a number didn't even get out of Ostende. Remember there were quite a number of English casuals there, from the London and Portsmouth areas. I don't know what I was really expecting but one thing I was surprised by was how much of a dump the Liege stadium was.

been here before

Always seems to be a bit of a forgotten trip.

My abiding memory is getting to the stadium on the night of the match and having water cannon aimed at us the whole walk from the coach to the ground.

Also drinking in a bar at the stadium before the game. A Belgian TV crew arrived with a presenter in tow who was the spit of Rod Stewart.

From memory there was a fair number who went to Liege who never made the match, in fact a number didn't even get out of Ostende. Remember there were quite a number of English casuals there, from the London and Portsmouth areas. I don't know what I was really expecting but one thing I was surprised by was how much of a dump the Liege stadium was.

Can't remember too much about it tbh

Can vaguely remember having a wander and a few locals saying not to go up certain streets or we'll get mugged !

Always seems to be a bit of a forgotten trip.

My abiding memory is getting to the stadium on the night of the match and having water cannon aimed at us the whole walk from the coach to the ground.

Also drinking in a bar at the stadium before the game. A Belgian TV crew arrived with a presenter in tow who was the spit of Rod Stewart.

I can kind of remember loads of riot police keeping a cordon around us. Think this was after the game.

Think they had quite a big mob of hooligans looking for a scrap.

been here before

I can kind of remember loads of riot police keeping a cordon around us. Think this was after the game.

Think they had quite a big mob of hooligans looking for a scrap.

We were told in a bar the day before that since Hibs had been to Belgium the season before against perhaps Anderlecht and caused bother, then the Belgians were looking for revenge against an Edinburgh team.

No idea if thats true but there was a hefty polis presence.

the general

Bucharest ... but was going to go to China ( the place not the auld pest ) before it got cancelled

still envious of the ones who made the America / Canada trips

kylelauren01

Hungary for the Paks game - Dunfermline to Liverpool, Liverpool to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Budapest!

I suppose I should stick my oar in and confirm what's already been alluded to about the Glasgow Hearts trip to Prague in 1986.

Big Gerry did indeed spend half the journey from Siegburg (?) to Prague in the bog, although I also remember Wittmann sliding down the steps from the side door and off the bus in a state of obvious inebriation at a fuel stop.

Said Wittmann, myself, Sandy McClure and A.N. Other doing a runner from a taxi in West Germany.

We did bribe the border guards with fags and drink to get through more quickly.

The driver of the Park's of Hamilton bus, George "Wheech" McGee, lumbering our Czech guide, Dagmar. Wee Brian O'Donnell from the Manor branch giving a wonderful rendition of Cliff Richard's

"Lucky Lips" to the utter amazement of a load of Polish tourists in the U Fleku pub.

Memories are a *******!

Alma Matters

Met a lad in Malta that had travelled from Tallinn via Italy after the first round match. He was reeking and didn't know what day it was . Was making the most of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millerjames398

Middlesborough.

Was that the friendly match at ayresome park? I went down for that ,first time I'd been on a supporters bus and have it pulled on to the hard shoulder by the polis to be searched,also saw lockey standing on cases of beer belting out the hearts song think he was on the Bonnyrigg bus,the locals were a pleasant lot as well[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gerryjambo41

I suppose I should stick my oar in and confirm what's already been alluded to about the Glasgow Hearts trip to Prague in 1986.

Big Gerry did indeed spend half the journey from Siegburg (?) to Prague in the bog, although I also remember Wittmann sliding down the steps from the side door and off the bus in a state of obvious inebriation at a fuel stop.

Said Wittmann, myself, Sandy McClure and A.N. Other doing a runner from a taxi in West Germany.

The driver of the Park's of Hamilton bus, George "Wheech" McGee, lumbering our Czech guide, Dagmar. Wee Brian O'Donnell from the Manor branch giving a wonderful rendition of Cliff Richard's

"Lucky Lips" to the utter amazement of a load of Polish tourists in the U Fleku pub.

Memories are a *******!

That night in U Fleku was brilliant didn't manage to fall asleep in anymore bogs right enough :D Was much more civilised on my next trip to Prague by plane .:D

Got pist and lost my wallet after a game at Tynecastle a good few years ago. Ended up walking home to Prestonpans. That was pretty far TBF.

About 5000 miles to london for the Spurs game, from Houston. Booked it about thirty minutes before we got annihilated in the first leg.

Also used up my Heart pass home for that season, unfortunately...

Doctor FinnBarr

Memories are a *******!

Don't forget the conga that led us through private dining rooms as well.

Great memories of Mostar with Tom Heaney! The big guy will still be watching up there. Cheers Tom

How many years has it been since Tom passed?

To Malta, from Edinburgh.  Pretty cool first European trip.  Domestically, to Aberdeen from Edinburgh via Banchory.

the general

By Derek's bus. Cracking trip and was my first European trip.

was glad to hear recently that Derek's doing well ... he is a good lad

Hungary for me. Me and my brother stayed in Dunoon at the time. Was a ferry to Gourock, train to Glasgow, bus to London, slept in the airport until our flight to Budapest. Straight to Sz?kesfeh?rv?r from there and straight back to the airport for the flight back after the game! What an 'away day' that was!

Lucille's Thirsty

:lol:

Inverness.

No I tell a lie I was in Blackpool on a wee summer hols and I went to a friendly against Preston at deepdale I think we won 2-1?

Was that the friendly match at ayresome park? I went down for that ,first time I'd been on a supporters bus and have it pulled on to the hard shoulder by the polis to be searched,also saw lockey standing on cases of beer belting out the hearts song think he was on the Bonnyrigg bus,the locals were a pleasant lot as well[emoji6]

That'll be the one mate. IIRC, think we got beat 4-3.

millerjames398

That'll be the one mate. IIRC, think we got beat 4-3.

If it was the same friendly v boro 93/94 the game finished 3-1 to boro,it was wee gerbil jaws McLean first game in charge and Bryan Robson first in charge of boro,great wee trip tho,bit of a gauntlet driving to the ground with the natives giving us a friendly boro welcome lined up and down the streets[emoji50]

SwindonJambo

In 1990 and 1991 I made 2 separate day trips by train from here to Edinburgh, travelling via Kings Cross where I hooked up with London Hearts. I was knackered afterwards!

Both games were dire - the 1st a grim 1-3 defeat to Deidco which was Alex McDonald's final match in charge before being sacked the following Monday. The 2nd was a boring 0-0 draw with Hibs.

Travelled from Antwerp in 1989 for the opening game of the season v. Celtic. Took in a League Cup tie a few nights later then travelled straight from Gorgie to St. Andrew Square for the overnight bus to London. 24 hours later, by bus and ferry, I was back in Belgium.

I was coming back to Edinburgh, permanently, the following week anyway and even made the next round of the LC at Falkirk. A League game at Love Street in between was the only match I missed that season.

It all seemed perfectly reasonable back then, but, looking back now, it was madness.

from West palm beach florida. came home early from a year working away to watch us in the cup. Jan 2002 beaten 3 1 by Inverness. flew into Glasgow airport at 9am...home to Stirling to dump suitcases and say hi to the folks. then train to Edinburgh to watch the jambo get beat. gutted

Tynecastle to Pennywell for a party on foot in 1973 still ranks as the longest in my head........ffs and sorry

Tynecastle from Kenya

Newcastle NSW to Tynecastle at least a dozen times. Once Newcastle to Glasgow, then train to Aberdeen!

In terms of time, once to Lausanne from Dalkeith on a bus, straight there and straight back with a Cooncil bin as the lavy!

I think the match was a draw, we were a bus load of the great unwashed for 4 days...

SwindonJambo

Not just the stadium. The whole city was a thoroughly forgettable shithole. I think we took around 1100 or so. I remember drinking in a pub in the city centre and 40 odd Jambos plus a dozen locals drank it dry before we moved into the place next door. Loads of Police present but I don't remember seeing any real bother. I walked all the way back to the city centre afterwards.

We played well in defeat and the Players came over to acknowledge the fans at the end. Some nitwit scrambled over the tall perimeter fence and onto the pitch, kneeling on the grass to kiss the feet of a totally bewildered John Robertson!

millerjames398

Newcastle NSW to Tynecastle at least a dozen times. Once Newcastle to Glasgow, then train to Aberdeen!

In terms of time, once to Lausanne from Dalkeith on a bus, straight there and straight back with a Cooncil bin as the lavy!

I think the match was a draw, we were a bus load of the great unwashed for 4 days...

Was that the game v laussane sports in the fairs cup ?if so a distant relative grabbed a couple goals over the course of the three games Tommy traynor was his name.

Was that the game v laussane sports in the fairs cup ?if so a distant relative grabbed a couple goals over the course of the three games Tommy traynor was his name.

I think it was the Fairs Cup, Lausanne Sports were supposed to be "bunch of part time schoolteachers". The match at Tynecastle was to be a certain victory. We drew that as well but lost in a play-off. Tommy Traynor was quality and I still have his autograph!

What was interesting about Tommy is that he was ever present and never seemed to get injured. "Fast" best described him. You are lucky to be related.

PS I can STILL smell that Bus!!!! God it was ganting, my Mother threw most of the clothes I had on away.

from West palm beach florida. came home early from a year working away to watch us in the cup. Jan 2002 beaten 3 1 by Inverness. flew into Glasgow airport at 9am...home to Stirling to dump suitcases and say hi to the folks. then train to Edinburgh to watch the jambo get beat. gutted

I once took the so called "football special" Qantas flight to Heathrow from Melbourne. I was going to a Hearts v Aberdeen game.

The flight landed at 6:30am, shower at the Airport and then to Edinburgh. I stayed a week or so.

I met an Arsenal fan well to do who worked with Stocks in Melbourne. He claimed that more than once he flew to Highbury and returned to Melbourne straight after the match and got to work sometime on the Monday! At a wild guess he would be on a dialysis machine by now....

Only Rotterdam. But I did drive all the way from Swindon with only my 14 year old son to keep

me company / awake. After the well known siege at Big Ben. We got a tram which We did not pay for ( ignorance of system) Found nice Turkish place for pre match scoff before making our way down a road where every bar seemed to be playing "Super Feyenoord"

Archived