How old and how long had you been attending...

John Findlay

gerryjambo41

I was thirty six years old when we won the cup in 98 , I don't know what age I started going but my dad reckoned that I was at the Kilmarnock game in 65 so it was just before my second birthday!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gerryjambo41

Forgot to add , yes I've seen some garbage through the years but my love for the club has never changed or will it .

Silvery_Moon

First goal 2-1 win v hibs, think 89, John Robertson penalty.

Trying to think what game that was as none from that era match that exactly.

1/1/90 was a 2-0 win v Hibs at Tynecastle. Robbo got a penalty that day.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199001011.html

We won the next one at ER 2-1 (another Robbo double) but no penalty.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199003311.html

I was 30 when we Cup in '98 but always thought my cousin was born at the worst time: 1959. Too young to remember the early '60's trophies, attended throughout the grimmest period in HMFC's history, and was 39 before he saw us lift silverware.

Mind you, our grandad, born in 1908, was 46 before he witnessed the 54/55 League Cup win.

Kids today?

They don't know they're born. :D

Bowmans_Boot

Started going in 1980, when we didnt score a league goal at home until November. Tough times.

I finally saw us win something on 16/05/98, when I was 29.

First started being dragged along regularly aged 5, beginning of season 84/85. Only had to wait 14 years, the good definitely outweighs the bad.

I was 12 when i saw my first Hearts game (defeat at Tynie vs Rangers October 1970) I was 40 when we won the cup in 98. I missed church a lot for a few years after 98 mostly through work but went back full time around 2002 and have been an ST holder since.

Darkwhisky7

Started going to games in mid 60's, about 64/65, my dad ( a hibby) tried in vain to get me to support them but used to watch Hearts at Tynie one week and went to Easter Rd. the next. Soon realised there was only one team for me, never liked green strips, loved maroon, even though they were beating us more often than not in the sixties/seventies.

44 when I seen us win the Scottish, I thought I would never ever see us win a cup after 1968, 76, etc. etc.

Still sing along to "since I was young" when it's sung despite being an old b...ger, the team for me! HHGH.

I started going regularly in the 1982/83 season and obviously had to wait until 1998 to see my first trophy. By contrast my son had seen a semi- final win over Celtic with a last minute penalty, a hammering of Hibs in the final. A League Cup Final loss, administration, relegation and winning the Championship all by the age of 9 !!!!

My first game was as a 6 year old, Scottish Cup defeat to Forfar Athletic :(  I was 22 on that glorious day at Parkhead.

Mid 60's when I was taken to my first game. 41 when we won the cup in '98. Never dreamed I would see us win anything.

I actually can't pinpoint it accurately.  I think it was Clydebank and it was 1985 but can't be sure.

On the hubs bus?

willie wallace

I am 63 and though my dad took me to games in the late fifties i can't remembdr them.

I was at the league cup win over Killie in 1962 and remember that very well.

Long wait for the next one though.?

Jambo-Jimbo

Late 60's when I was still wee enough for my dad to lift me over the turnstiles, but I can't remember any of the games.

First game I can remember is the Texaco Cup Semi-Final against Motherwell (1970 I think), not the game itself but for getting Eric Carruthers autograph (still have the programme).

I was 37 when we won the cup in '98.

Like others have said, our current lack of form is nothing compared to what the 70's were like.

15 years and so much heartache before 98. I was 34 and cried like a 3 year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut The Crap

1-1 draw v Hibs on November1975.

Was 33 when we won the.cup in 98. I'd actually given up on ever seeing us lift a trophy,

William H. Bonney

It's amazing how people know they're first game. I have no idea what mine was other than it was 1985.

One of my earliest memories is me and my friends tying our scarves together during the 7-0 victory over Hamilton.

siegementality

I was 31 and had been attending games for 26 years before that day in May :-)

Old Gray Badger

First game 1965 I think, my attendance since then has been irregular, I have had to stop now and again as it was making me unhappy.

1st game I was 11, it was a pre-season friendly against Maccabi Tel Aviv in summer 1966.Pretty sure it was Willie Wallace's last game for us. I was 43 when I finally saw us win something in 1998.

Bazzas right boot

Trying to think what game that was as none from that era match that exactly.

1/1/90 was a 2-0 win v Hibs at Tynecastle. Robbo got a penalty that day.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199001011.html

We won the next one at ER 2-1 (another Robbo double) but no penalty.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199003311.html

2-0 in 90 then!

Cheers for that, it was at home.

joondalupjambo

Cannot fail to forget my first game as it was the 1968 cup final. 

We lost and then we had the 70's and early 80's. 

I had to wait exactly 30 years to see us win the cup in 1998.

Never really got excited in 1998 at the final whistle, just stood there taking it all in and a huge sense of relief just washed over me. 

My thoughts were with all the away games through the bad times, the so many near misses in semi's and other finals, the good times getting to where we were, the Fords and the Cruickshanks.

I actually thought that we would finally kick on and perhaps had a team that would shine again, perhaps if we added to it, a league challenge.

Reality then kicked in and we had yet more struggles ahead of us, that is Hearts, but we love them.

Was 27yrs old in 98 when we won the cup and had been attending Hearts games since 1984 when I was 13 yrs old. First one was the UEFA cup home leg v Paris

Though spent many years before that watching the reserves with my old man

First game was 1964.dunfermline at home 0-0.I was thirteen.walked to Joppa with my mates and got a 44 to Ardmillan.Thrupence single.Repeated that many times.Missed the Rangers cup final cos of work(always regretted that).loved seeing us winning the cups.Like many others was at the killie league decider.Also Dundee 1-7 but left at 0-5 if memory serves me well.But maybe strangely enough the night we beat Aberdeen to split the old firm is the most emotional I've ever been.65 this year Hhgh

The Treasurer

Been going to games for over 50 years (ST holder for the last 48).

Late 30's before I finally saw us lift the cup.

Having had to live through relegations, cup defeats v the likes of Airdrie, Forfar etc and a certain new year match, all made that day in '98 even sweeter.

Puts the current "crisis" into perspective.

My first game would have been 53/54 and Hibs were probably the Scottish Champions.  Urgh.

Since then Hearts won 4 league Cups. 4 Scottish Cups and 2 Championships.

Nowhere near enough.

Really worries me that shortly after I put my cue in the rack we'll start winning everything.

Just no' fair!

First game was V Third Lanark in 1963, I was 9 yo and as far as I remember we won 2-0 and Norrie Davidson might have been one of the scorers. Had to wait until 98 to see us win the cup, what a day that was, 35 years after my first game, thought the day would never come!

1-0 win against Hamilton in '78.  Just over 7,000 of a crowd.  I was 29 when we won the cup in '98.

Cunning thread, though.

peebles jambo

I was at the killie gams we lost the league, i was 8, 42 when we won the cup, many good days and many bad, was at the new years game when hibs scored 4 in 9 minutes, don't know the year,missed the 7-0 but was at the next derby when we won 4-1,

Charlie-Brown

49 & 1975 first games I can remember at home to Ayr Utd & Dundee Utd in the New Premier League...vague memories of an earlier game at Fester climbing up the hill of the big terracing but leaving when Harper made it 3-0 Dad feared another 7...

My first game would have been 53/54 and Hibs were probably the Scottish Champions.  Urgh.

Since then Hearts won 4 league Cups. 4 Scottish Cups and 2 Championships.

Nowhere near enough.

Really worries me that shortly after I put my cue in the rack we'll start winning everything.

Just no' fair!

You must be a wee bit younger than I am since I was at the Heriot Watt from 1950 and started to go regularly then. After Uni  I worked in an Edinburgh office full of Hibees including Hugh Shaw's son Ian. They did have a vey good side then... the 'Famous Five' era.  As others have said I have been through the mill a few times but never gave up on them and certainly won't now. Very glad there was no social media and keyboard warriors in these days. Pure football fans !!!!!

First game 1964 - lost 7-1 at home to Dundee

Second game 1965 - lost 2-0 to Killie and the League!

Was 43 when JJ got the monkey off our back in 1998 - God bless him!!

1-7 was on 27th Feb 1965

First game was 1-0 versus Dundee United in 1969.

Although saw 1962 league cup victory parade in Princes St.

First game Wednesday 29th October Hearts 2-1 Falkirk in the cup. I was 9.

We then won the Cup against Gretna in 2006 when I was 11 - dad took me to Hampden.

Not too long for me! My dad is still annoyed I wanted to play snakes and ladders when the 98 cup final was on. In my defence I was 3...

OmiyaHearts

Hearts games before you saw Hearts lift a trophy. Thirty two years attending games and thirty five years old when we won THE cup in 1998.

My first game attended was the semi final v Falkirk at Ibrox, 04/04/98, I was 19.  We beat Rangers in Scottish Cup in the final on 16/05/98

I didn't have to wait long - 6 weeks roughly?

6+ year old at 1st game Jan 1964 vs Falkirk (4 - 0) on a Friday night due to Rugby International at Murrayfield on the Saturday. When I visited the Museum in November, Davy Allan brought up match report on his phone, now that's what I call "good customer service" :2thumbsup:

Attended Killie title decider in 1965, thinking it was a mere setback!! 1968 Scottish Cup Final in Centre Stand added to the agony, only to be followed by a few other unpleasant outcomes until that glorious day at Parkhead in 1998 after 34 years of following "The Famous".

Enjoyed the other 2 Scottish Cup wins & despite the 5 - 1, not sure it can equal the feelings of the 1998 Final.

Looking forward to a few more in the years to come (ever the optimist!), not forgetting the completion of new Main Stand which is looming large on the horizon.

Been a supporter since mid to late 50's. Born in Borders so it was rugby, rugby and more rugby.

Read about Hearts in the Pink and Dispatch? and became a fan. Kept pictures in scrapbook. My favourite

picture was of Alan Gordon soaring to head a goal against Patrick I think.

Moved to Penicuik in 1970 and took in occasional midweek game whilst still playing rugby. Also went to ER as most of the cricket team supported them.

Moved to Corstorphine in 1979 after 7 years in London. Kids were born into football environment.

Started season tickets when felt they were old enough, 97/98 season and son and I still go. Daughter still

likes going and does so when up from London.

Dalstonjambo

I was 30 when we Cup in '98 but always thought my cousin was born at the worst time: 1959. Too young to remember the early '60's trophies, attended throughout the grimmest period in HMFC's history, and was 39 before he saw us lift silverware.

Mind you, our grandad, born in 1908, was 46 before he witnessed the 54/55 League Cup win.

Kids today?

They don't know they're born. :D

My Dad was born in 1959 - and he says the same thing. He moved down to England in early 1987 after barely missing a game from the late 60s, with a wife and a 9 month old baby (me). He is still to confirm if the fact that the day he bought said baby home was also the day he went to Dens Park to 'see Hearts win the league' was to do with the move, but i think it was. 

I went to my first game age 4 on a trip up north to see the grandparents and never looked back. Was the only kid in the school playground  in Essex who wanted to be John Robertson, and was the only kid at football training with a hearts top on. Couldn't care less. 

However as a 12 year old in 1998 watching my Dad stand there in floods of tears was the time i 'really got it' in terms of what it meant. Countless trips up in school holidays, weekends, and that run of cup semis/finals in the 90s made him think he'd never see the day, but he would always console me with 'maybe next time son' when I got upset we never won these games. Can't imagine what he was thinking. 

In 2004 I went to University in York, and decided that a 200 mile trip up was easier than a 500 mile one, so convinced my Dad to get a season ticket with me. We've not stopped going most weeks since, although got harder when I moved to London in 2007. 9.30 at York station is a lot easier than 7am at Kings Cross every Saturday. 

Yeah it's a bit cr8p at the moment, but I think back to that emotion I saw in 1998 and realise it's all worth it. As was 06 and 2012. Wouldn't change it for the world. 

If ever I get a bit down about it all, i realise my Dad, now in his late 50s, and who went every week through all that rubbish in the 70s and 80s still gets up every second Saturday at 5am to get a train in from Essex, and is still stood on that concourse at Kings Cross twirling his scarf to greet me when i get off the tube like it's his first game sums up what it's like to be a fan of this club. 

It's my team, whatever happens.

Five to One

Was there in 98 when I was 22 years old. Never forget that day and Gorgie that evening. 

Had been going to games for 14 years.  

Dallas Green

10 when we won the cup in 98.

My first game I was standing in the school end. Couple seasons before the Roseburn went up I think. Couldn't tell you who we played or what the score was but I had fun running about and swinging on the bars.

My Dad was born in 1959 - and he says the same thing. He moved down to England in early 1987 after barely missing a game from the late 60s, with a wife and a 9 month old baby (me). He is still to confirm if the fact that the day he bought said baby home was also the day he went to Dens Park to 'see Hearts win the league' was to do with the move, but i think it was. 

I went to my first game age 4 on a trip up north to see the grandparents and never looked back. Was the only kid in the school playground  in Essex who wanted to be John Robertson, and was the only kid at football training with a hearts top on. Couldn't care less. 

However as a 12 year old in 1998 watching my Dad stand there in floods of tears was the time i 'really got it' in terms of what it meant. Countless trips up in school holidays, weekends, and that run of cup semis/finals in the 90s made him think he'd never see the day, but he would always console me with 'maybe next time son' when I got upset we never won these games. Can't imagine what he was thinking. 

In 2004 I went to University in York, and decided that a 200 mile trip up was easier than a 500 mile one, so convinced my Dad to get a season ticket with me. We've not stopped going most weeks since, although got harder when I moved to London in 2007. 9.30 at York station is a lot easier than 7am at Kings Cross every Saturday. 

Yeah it's a bit cr8p at the moment, but I think back to that emotion I saw in 1998 and realise it's all worth it. As was 06 and 2012. Wouldn't change it for the world. 

If ever I get a bit down about it all, i realise my Dad, now in his late 50s, and who went every week through all that rubbish in the 70s and 80s still gets up every second Saturday at 5am to get a train in from Essex, and is still stood on that concourse at Kings Cross twirling his scarf to greet me when i get off the tube like it's his first game sums up what it's like to be a fan of this club. 

It's my team, whatever happens.

Great stuff, bud.

It's not great at the moment, it's been worse and it will get better.

All part of the HMFC rollercoaster.

Love it. ;)

Great stuff, bud.

It's not great at the moment, it's been worse and it will get better.

All part of the HMFC rollercoaster.

Love it. ;)

For sure Mart.

Archived