How old and how long had you been attending...

John Findlay

Francis Albert

44 years old when I saw us win the cup in 98 (is it really nearly 20 years ago?).

I don't know exactly when I first watched Hearts but I remember the disappointment of not getting to go to the 62 League Cup final (my father's excuse was I wouldn't be able to see anything) so I must have been going to Tynecastle before then.

So more than 36 years before the first trophy. The final whistle in 98 made the wait more than worthwhile. Of course I hope no-one ever has to experience that sort of wait again, but if so they will never experience quite that sense of elation.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Independence

Hearts games before you saw Hearts lift a trophy. Thirty two years attending games and thirty five years old when we won THE cup in 1998.

Thirty eight long years watching them (including the Killie and Dundee games) and aged forty three year old. What s day/ weekend!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A lot of regulars missing from the thread :)

Anyway, I heard something the other day.

Jack Nicklaus was asked what he missed most upon retirement.

Jack replied, losing. I miss losing most.

Why?

Because losing hurt so much it made winning so much better and it drove me.

A winner

Stephen Muddie

I had been going for 4 years before we won the SC in 2006. I'd have been 16 in 2002.

****in hell a time traveller..

Tell me... Do we win the league before our oxygen runs out?

Austria Vienna was my first ever game.

I lied and told my parents I went to the BB's

Away goal here, nice watch

****** hell a time traveller..

Tell me... Do we win the league before our oxygen runs out?

He was 20 was he not?

I was taken to games in late 60's but have no real memories.  Started for me in earnest around 1973.  I have to say that the first 10 years make today's 'crisis' claims look silly.  Dominated in 70s by a very good Hibs team was bad enough but we got worse towards the end of the decade when we went in to the yoyo relegation\promotion years.  But as is always the case in Football things can turn around quickly and did for us with the emergence of Robbo etc.  I will never get over Dundee 86.  Easily the biggest tragedy in my time.  1998 was the first silverware I saw and it went some way to easing some of the pain of 86.    As great as 1998 was I think for me 2012 is the greatest day ever and did more to lay the ghosts of 86.

Maybe maths wasn't his best subject at school?

It seemed so obvious that I doubted myself at first

punkrockcroc

I was 9 in 1975 and went to Tynecastle to see Hearts v Berwick Rangers with my Dad and Granddad, it was an East of Scotland semi final which I think we won but can't remember.

All this chat is brilliant. Think I'll put on the 98 final DVD tonight and open a bottle of red. Great memories folks

Fantastic. And onside lol. Never went to an away game that run (until Germany - as I couldn't afford it) but went to all the home ones

What a great run that was. League form was rank that season but it was a hell of a journey

I like the way Alistair Alexander's voice cracks a wee bit when he says "supporters".

Vaguely recall Thomas Flogel saying he was a ball boy that night.

I had been watching the Hearts for about 9 years when I saw them win the League Cup against Motherwell in 1954.  It was our first trophy in about 50 years, and The King scored a hat-trick.

70 in July and saw Hearts win Cup in '56

There were about 70,000 Hearts supporters at Hampden that day.  Not too many still around, I don't think.

fraz the postie

50years young,

Been watching the hearts on and off since primary school.

Trips back from Germany when I was in the army were great fun,

Meeting the boys from the longstone hearts in Munich for the game V Bayern must be a highlight.

Many memories ,mostly good.

I probably met many of you back in the day.2-0 down against Morton 15 mins to go we won 3-2.Beating the Mhanks 2-0 at parkhead when they were a pretty good side.Remember how we used to congregate as one. Those were the days for me .Its not like that anymore.They all knew we were in town.

davemclaren

There were about 70,000 Hearts supporters at Hampden that day.  Not too many still around, I don't think.

Yes, a dwindling bunch. My dad was there with my uncle. My dad's gone but my uncle is in his 90s and still around though, sadly, not communicating at all nowadays.

Coburg Hearts

First game in 1949, then another 5 years to see them beat Motherwell 4-2, aged 11. Saw them win another 6 trophies by 1962.......then the drought. 

Coburg Hearts

ps It was a great way to spend your teenage years, wondering not if Hearts would win but by how many they would win by. Great times to be a Hearts supporter :-)

ps It was a great way to spend your teenage years, wondering not if Hearts would win but by how many they would win by. Great times to be a Hearts supporter :-)

Sounds a bit like 2014/15. :D

N Lincs Jambo

First game in 1949, then another 5 years to see them beat Motherwell 4-2, aged 11. Saw them win another 6 trophies by 1962.......then the drought.

Jammy bugger [emoji3]

In all seriousness I only hope that us younger fans will at least see us win one league title.

Was too young for 65, was at Dens 86 and since then some good seasons but no cigar. In my adult life I've seen the Sheep win 3 titles and the Arabs 1.

I'd die happy if I knew we'd do one before I'm 6 foot under [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor FinnBarr

East of Scotland match - Hearts 8 Meadowbank 0

I think!

Yep......was it Ray Dunlops first game in goals.....nope the huddy we signed from Arbroath, Brian Little?

Anyway, due to old man being a Motherwell fan I only got to Tynie when we played them until the last season of the old first division 1974/75 then I was allowed to go on the Bathgate bus myself.

So to answer the OPs question, I'd followed Hearts regular for 23 years and was 37 when we bust the hoodoo

Minus 2 years I was working in West Germany but still made it back for 4/5 games a season

I have supported Hearts for over 64 years. Had many ups and downs over the years. The present time is nothing to what we had to endure in the past. Not delighted at the moment but given a little time it will come good.

Kellie and Dundee still haunt me.

April 1956, straight after Cup win. Beat Raith Rovers 7-2 at Tynecastle. I was 8 at the time. I still have the programme!

I keep the programme for every match attended. Some great matches attended. 1-0 Rangers Cup ' 68, 6-0 Moscow Torpedo, 6-3 Aberdeen and the 5-1 final ( never got a programme!).

A glut of disasters as well 1-7 Dundee, 0-7 Hibs and Love Street once 2-7 I think.

I agree, in a few years and new Govenrance we will come good, but like you not many vintages left!

First game in 1970 v Dunfermline, I was 33 when we beat Rangers in 1998, a day I was beginning to think I'd never see.

1986 looking back was a traumatic experience, and every season I would look back and regret what should have been.

But since 2012 that pain has eased and I hardly ever refer to Dens 86 these days.

However I don't believe I will ever see Hearts lift the league title in my lifetime, just believe the gulf is huge, and we just don't have that relentless will to win that the OF have, it's just not in the clubs DNA I'm afraid

Started going in the mid 60's eg missed the glory years and saw some absolute crap. Probably accepted it as the club had zero cash. Bitter disappointments in 86.

Anyway still kept going back for more. Having got that "credential" out of the way I am worried and in an era of potentially greater well being off the park I reserve the right to be worried about wasting it with poor current management on the park.

Mars plastic

First game was Rangers @ Tynie, February '84. 2-0 down with 5 to go and we drew 2-2 with a Robbo hook shot in injury time.

The Voice of Reason

First game was a 3-2 win over Hibs at Tynecastle in 1964. A random memory from that game was that one of the Hearts players ripped his shorts and a group of Hearts and Hibs players grouped round him in the middle of the park to shield him from view while he changed them.

Followed Hearts home and away through the '70s and '80s and before '98 I thought it was forever going to be a case of " always the bridesmaid..."

Fantastic. And onside lol. Never went to an away game that run (until Germany - as I couldn't afford it) but went to all the home ones

What a great run that was. League form was rank that season but it was a hell of a journey

I was there - a few other posters on here were in Vienna also.

A cracking trip. The following day drinking session in Vienna was tremendous.

Happy days.

First game when I was 10, absolute horsing from Partick thistle :facepalm: first sc win when I was 12, I'm 31.

First game when I was 10, absolute horsing from Partick thistle :facepalm: First sc win when I was 12, I'm 31.

Eek, the 2-5 game.

I was there with a Thistle supporting mate. The bugger still mentions it to this day.

Eek, the 2-5 game.

I was there with a Thistle supporting mate. The bugger still mentions it to this day.

That's the one! I'm sure we may have been leading at one point too, great introduction to HMFC :lol:

That's the one! I'm sure we may have been leading at one point too, great introduction to HMFC :lol:

Aye. Apart from older lads who's first game was Killie in '65 or 0-7 you probably win the prize for worst debut. :D

Since the mid 1950s when my father and grandfather took me to games. Seem to remember the first game I saw Hearts winning 8- 0 I think against Falkirk.

First game 15th September 1956 at Tynecastle against a very decent and well supported St Mirren side. Disappointing 2-2 draw but I did get to see what was pretty much the cup-winning side of that year, including Dave Mackay and John Cummings, and the forward line of Young, Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh and Crawford. None of those scored that day! But they did win the league the following year, and the League Cup twice in 58 and 59.

The first time I actually saw them lift a trophy was at Hampden in the League Cup final in 1962, when we beat Willie Waddell's Kilmarnock 1-0. By then I was 15.

Buffalo Bill

I've been attending since April 1982,

From then until 1998, I saw us fail to get promoted, the unbeaten run of 85/86, the crushing defeat at Dens, cup final defeat, numerous semi final defeats, the UEFA Cup run, flirtations with relegation,  two more cup final defeats in 1996, loads of great games and loads of crap games, loads of great players and goals, Robertson, MacKay, Levein, Clark, Jardine, McPherson, McLaren, and some honking bad players too, most of which were signed by Tommy McLean. Then there was that fantastic side of 1997/98, Neil McCann, Colin Cameron, Stevie Fulton, Stephane Adam et al.

In the end, I had to wait of 16 years and one month.

When Hearts won the cup in 1998, I was 24 years old. Boy did I celebrate. 

I also loved '06 and 2012 too. 

...but that first time will never be beaten.

I've been attending since April 1982,

From then until 1998, I saw us fail to get promoted, the unbeaten run of 85/86, the crushing defeat at Dens, cup final defeat, numerous semi final defeats, the UEFA Cup run, flirtations with relegation,  two more cup final defeats in 1996, loads of great games and loads of crap games, loads of great players and goals, Robertson, MacKay, Levein, Clark, Jardine, McPherson, McLaren, and some honking bad players too, most of which were signed by Tommy McLean. Then there was that fantastic side of 1997/98, Neil McCann, Colin Cameron, Stevie Fulton, Stephane Adam et al.

In the end, I had to wait of 16 years and one month.

When Hearts won the cup in 1998, I was 24 years old. Boy did I celebrate. 

I also loved '06 and 2012 too. 

...but that first time will never be beaten.

I thought you were older, BB.

It must be your authoritative, sensible, mature posts that led me to think that. :D

I thought you were older, BB.

It must be your authoritative, sensible, mature posts that led me to think that. :D

I too thought BB was a wee bit older.

If I'm not mistaken, some of his posts around 2006 were inspirational to say the least, unless I've got the wrong guy, which I don't think I have.

There was one about Juhos' (?) performance in a wee cup game away from home (Stenhousemuir?) which we won 5-0 and he scored four of them.

Pardon my spelling Bill!

canny mind when my first game was but was there when we got promoted 78 and 80

Me too!

First game about 1970. So been going for 28 yrs before first trophy.

I was 9 when we won the cup in 1998. Had never been to a Hearts game but remember crying with my uncle shouting out the front door singing songs in Gilmerton. Memories :)

Since the mid 1950s when my father and grandfather took me to games. Seem to remember the first game I saw Hearts winning 8- 0 I think against Falkirk.

Hearts beat Queens Park 8-0 at Tynecastle in 1957.  That might be the game you are thinking of.

I was there too.

My dad took me to Tynecastle aged 7 , and was 41 in 1998 .

I also enjoyed 2006 although I'd lost my mother at 07:00 that morning, but thoroughly enjoyed 19/05/12 when it finally put 01/01/73 to bed.

Hearts beat Queens Park 8-0 at Tynecastle in 1957. That might be the game you are thinking of.

I was there too.

Easy to get confused there were so many big scores that season.

My first game 9-2 against QP but there was an 8-0 a 9-0 a 7-2 a 6-0 and more.

What a season to start with. I can vaguely remember the league being clinched at Love St. In those days you had to come back through Glasgow along an aptly named street called Alexandria Parade our supporters buses paraded along there with the fans sitting on the top of the bus singing and waving to the watching locals.

Then the traditional stop at Harthill village with the chip shop for the women and kids and the pub for the men.

Happy days.

Archived