How old and how long had you been attending...

John Findlay

John Findlay

Hearts games before you saw Hearts lift a trophy. Thirty two years attending games and thirty five years old when we won THE cup in 1998.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the same first game v killie. When we lost league.and people are moaning about the team just now .what would they be like if they had seen some of the dross we have

Eight years attending, three year gap in attendance serving my Queen and Country in foreign climes, Rule Brittania, listened to League Cup win on Forces radio, saw cup win twelve years after first attending games.

First game 1964 - lost 7-1 at home to Dundee

Second game 1965 - lost 2-0 to Killie and the League!

Was 43 when JJ got the monkey off our back in 1998 - God bless him!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

3rd January 1977. Lost 4 1 to Aberdeen lo n behold, now they were shite but I loved the name and the colours. Nothing has changed. 21 years for a proper trophy, but the 6s were fun :)

I was late to football, so 2 years before I saw hearts take the cup in 06 at the age of 11

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

I have supported Hearts for over 64 years. Had many ups and downs over the years. The present time is nothing to what we had to endure in the past. Not delighted at the moment but given a little time it will come good.

Kellie and Dundee still haunt me.

davemclaren

First game attended was the killie 2 goal defeat at home in 1965 when I was 8. 1998 before I first saw us win a trophy.

I was 23 when we won in 98. Even had to witness Raith bloody Rovers win a trophy before us (was dragged to Kirkcaldy as a kid) :D

Cannot remember my actual first game I attended but it must have been between 80/81. Boys gate, a midweek game in Gorgie Road end, me and 2 school pals.

Fell in love With HMFC, ended up attending away games on a minibus that left from Oxgangs.. They were the days, some may think they are hard done by now with our recent form, lol...

As always FTh

Lincon Premier

Attended my first game in the early 60's. Can't remember what year, I was a young lad and my next door neighbour was one of my best pals. His dad had a fish mongers down Broughton Street and he took me and my pal in his wee mini van that stank of fish. The only time I saw the ball was when it was 20 ft in the air. :2thumbsup:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

First game was Airdrie, last game of 79/80, Frank Liddell scored to win us the league. First proper trophy was 1998.

Cruyff Turn

First game 15/04/95 and I would have been 7 years old. Still got the Programme with Levein on the front, funny enough I'm sure it has a picture of a the model of Tynecastle with the 4 new stands.

Got my first season ticket in July 96, first game was a friendly against FC Porto which I believe was Neil McCanns debut.

I was lucky enough to start getting taken to games at the start of 1957/58 season.

First game was actually at ER an Edinburgh Select v PNE daft score 6-4 or something crazy like that.

First Hearts game a 9-2 win in the LC v Queens Park a few days later.

Four trophies in the first three years but even if we had been losing it would still have been Hearts for me. My Dad and brother made sure of that.

First game October 1959, aged 10, Hamden Park, Hearts v Third Lanark, 2-1 League Cup final, 60,000 in the ground!

Thought we always won trophies and we did in that era! Crunching halt in 1965 versus Kilmarnock. Roald Jensen hit the post when one goal would have won the league. Lost a fiver on the way to the game (mega money in those days) just had enough to get in. Came home in tears not any money to drown my tears. On arriving back to my tenement stair head there it was, my fiver lying on the deck. A bright moment on a dark day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

First goal 2-1 win v hibs, think 89, John Robertson penalty.

I was 8 maybe 9, 17 when we won the cup.

Don't remember the defeat in 86, the 5-1 and 4-3 were dull ones tho., As were the ****ing Airdrie semi's.

N Lincs Jambo

Been attending since Feb 70, 1st game 1-0 v St Mirren with Alan Anderson scoring. 28 years till the cup win in 98 which was 4 days before my 35th birthday. My eldest daughter was at the cup game 4 months before she was born [emoji3]. Does that count??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maroon Sailor

22 years going to home and away matches. The odd home game early to mid 70's including that game. 30 years old in 98

First game in 1981 aged 7, 23 when we won the cup in 98. A lot of good and bad in between, and certainly a lot of worse seasons than this one.

Салатные палочки

First game was a 0-0 draw with St Mirren in 1990. Would have been 7. Was fifteen when we won in 98 and was the first time I had a beer with my old man (just the one). Although did have an uppy-doony of cider the next day.

Did see us win the Tennents Sixes but.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

First game v Partick 1956 or 57 (shit game, shit weather). Didn't see them win the LC in the early 60s cos my mum said I was too wee to travel.

Waited until 1998 for glory. God bless JJ 

Hackney Hearts

First game was October 1971 at home to Airdrie 1-1 (I was ten). Donald Ford scored after 63 mins, Airdrie equalised in the last minute. Crowd: 10,188

Had to wait nearly 27 years for a trophy - I was 36 when we won the cup in 1998.

Some of these stories make our current grumbling about the club feel very petty and almost at OF levels of entitlement that we haven't earned.

alwaysthereinspirit

First game 1968. 36 years young when they won in 98. cried like a baby when I saw the score. Worked all day, came home, turned on the computer and the rest as they say.................

I was 19 when we won in 1998. I'd being going to games since I was 8 but I didn't get a season ticket till I was 14 and I did athletics and had to compete at weekends.

Bazzas right boot

Some of these stories make our current grumbling about the club feel very petty and almost at OF levels of entitlement that we haven't earned.

And how we have underachieved, for a long time and now we are in a position to change that, but ATM seem to be making a bit of an arse of it.

14 years attending and 24 years old when we won the cup in 98.

I was probably about 10 years old when you could say I started going regularly but had been to my first game in 1979 aged 5 and other sporadic matches.

I did play youth football in the early to mid 90s though but when I wasn't playing I was at Tynecastle :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

First goal 2-1 win v hibs, think 89, John Robertson penalty.

I was 8 maybe 9, 17 when we won the cup.

Don't remember the defeat in 86, the 5-1 and 4-3 were dull ones tho., As were the ******* Airdrie semi's.

95 semi was the lowest I have ever been. Chronic day

Fxxx the SPFL

20/09/1961 aged four with my late father (P/t hobo) versus Hamilton Academicals league cup Q/F second leg at Tynecastle can't mind he haw about it. Plenty up and downs but my love for the club never diminishes.

First game 2-1 defeat to Hibs in the Scottish cup at Tynecastle think it was 1971. I was 12 years old at my first game and 39 years and 10 months old when we won the cup.

Been going for about 38 years,first trophy was the Scottish First Division 1979-80(ran on the pitch and F/T),was about 13yo at the time

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cunning way of finding out the posters ages John :vrwow:

I never said how old I was though you get a rough idea. An insight to expectation levels all the same

From the end of the 91/92 season until 1997/98, I attended 98 away games and saw us win 23. That included a spell where we won 8 out of 50.

Old man used to take me to occasional games from 3 years old. When we moved to Gala in 81, the games stopped as he was riddled with arthritis since his mid 20s, he couldn't stand for 90 minutes and he couldn't sit in the seats in the old stand or the benches in the shed either. Regular attending restarted for us in 85 86 season when I was 12. I joined the forces so lost 4 years of games. When I left the RAF, I moved back to Edinburgh in 94 and straight away started going again. I was 25 when we won the cup in 98.

2-2 against Morton at Tynecastle in 1969 so the cup victory in 1998 was a long time coming. Meanwhile my son is in his mid 20s and seen them lift it three times!!

loveofthegame

Dad first took me aged 5, got first ST aged 6, had one ever since and am now 30.

Was one of the lucky generation who has been spoilt with 3 SC wins, the first of which happened when I was only 11.

First game v dunfermline end of season 62/63. We won 2 nil. Just missed the league cup win. Was 44 in 98

Sneckiejambo

First game St Johnstone 1 Hearts 4, Feb 1964. Richmond scored for Saints and Irvine 2 and Tommy White 2 for Hearts, in those days it took hours to get to Perth never mind Edinburgh on the old A9. I was 10 then and I thought the only thing I would ever see us win was the Tennents sixes in 1985. So many disappointments up till that great day in 1998, I thought Willie Young was never going to blow the whistle. I still think 19/05/12 was the greatest day to be a Jambo humping that mob in the Final and ?10 at 33 to 1 on Darren Barr for first goal, HHGH

I actually can't pinpoint it accurately.  I think it was Clydebank and it was 1985 but can't be sure.

weegie jambo

My first 2 games were in 1965 and were both goalless draws v Airdrie and Dumfermline. Ive seen some dross over the years and some brilliance, our current form is nothing by comparison to games I've witnessed and the low felt after Dens. It all came good for me in '98 at the age of 44

First game at Tynecastle, Hearts Reserves v Motherwell Reserves in 1957. In the old enclosure with my Dad when the ball came in for a throw in to Motherwell. I ran and picked the ball up and instead of throwing it back, me, being a smart arsed kid  tried to kick it back. The ball hit the enclosure wall and rebounded and smacked me in the face.

The Motherwell player leans over and asked if I was OK, however my Dad being an old fashioned father gave me a row for being stupid.

That was just as we were in the middle of a golden era and I just assumed that we would win cups and leagues for the rest of my life, how wrong I was, however, all these barren years after beating Killie in the League Cup final only makes the recent cup wins all the sweeter. 

Whilst the current season is poor, there are many seasons in the 70's and early 80's I would swap for this one.

HHGH.

First game in 1975, aged 7, and most home games from '79/80 onwards. Not as long a wait as others but still an age before that day in 1998.

Followed Hearts all over Scotland in the 80's/90's but rarely watch them outside Edinburgh these days.

Away days in the early/mid '80's were brilliant.

Maroon Sailor

First game in 1975, aged 7, and most home games from '79/80 onwards. Not as long a wait as others but still an age before that day in 1998.

Followed Hearts all over Scotland in the 80's/90's but rarely watch them outside Edinburgh these days.

Away days in the early/mid '80's were brilliant.

I was at a Hearts v Dundee United match in 1975 - think it finished 1-1

The thing I remember most about the match was the Number 9 playing Centre Half.

His name - Paul Hegarty

Funny what sticks in your mind as a kid

Just checked London Hearts - it was 1976

I was a Hearts v Dundee United match in 1975 - think it finished 1-1

The thing I remember most about the match was the Number 9 playing Centre Half.

His name - Paul Hegarty

Funny what sticks in your mind as a kid

Mine was 1-1 v. Dundee in the Cup. Funnily enough it's an opposition player that stands out in my memory: Tommy Gemmell.

Only discovered recently that Dundee missed a penalty that day. No recollection of it, whatsoever.

Archived