Michael Stewart

kila

Spurting some pish on Sportscene yet again. Talking about us having signed 30 odd players since 'the new regime'. He's got an agenda (anti Levein), because he's purposefully leaving out context - that we were in administration, then had a Championship squad to revamp for the top flight, oh and that we've had a couple of long term injuries that need cover.

He went on to say that the head coach should only deal with the players already there, not sign their own, implying Cathro shouldn't have been allowed to sign any new faces in January.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does anyone who has an opinion that is not 100% positive have an agenda against Levein?

Tend to agree. Anything that questions the clubs strategy these days tends to lead in having an agenda against someone at the club.

Why does anyone who has an opinion that is not 100% positive have an agenda against Levein?

I think it's fair to say that since Levein called it right on Stewart's ability as a footballer (i.e. not good enough for Hearts), Stewart has had a chip on his shoulder - almost as big as his over-inflated opinion of himself.

Exactly.

The results and performances leave us rightly exposed to criticism.

Some are incredibly precious and hyper sensitive

Good point.

Sadly people refuse to see past Levein.

Stewart has been right about Levein from the start.

No he hasn't. He suggested Levein was picking the team, a claim rubbished by Neilson and players.

Fly the Saltire

Michael Stewart is probably the best Scottish TV pundit and was pretty fair in what he said about Levein's role and questioned Cathro's team selection

Might not be picking the team but he sets the philosophy. There probably is a chip on Stewart's shoulder from his days under Levein but he has been outspoken all along.

Spurting some pish on Sportscene yet again. Talking about us having signed 30 odd players since 'the new regime'. He's got an agenda (anti Levein), because he's purposefully leaving out context - that we were in administration, then had a Championship squad to revamp for the top flight, oh and that we've had a couple of long term injuries that need cover.

He went on to say that the head coach should only deal with the players already there, not sign their own, implying Cathro shouldn't have been allowed to sign any new faces in January.

Stewart is a PHM who IMO is probably the best pundit in scotland. Speaks his mind and not afraid to upset anyone.

I have no doubt at all that 80% of our signings have come from Levein. Your telling me that Cathro knew of Sowah? Or the greek boys etc. Granted he clearly had a big say on Goncalves coming but was same for Neilson. CL and john Murray are behind 80% of all our signings since the new regime. And very few get pass marks. MARTIN, OSHANIWA, SAMMON all on 3 year deals gtf man. Our signing policy seems to be get in whoever we can and hope they work and for me they dont. Giving 6 month deals to players is the better idea as they know they are fighting for a new deal or a big move. 3 year deals to likes of Osh Martin and Sammon make them do **** all because they know they picking up a wage regardless. The regime is shite and Cathro is working with other peoples players and not his own

No he hasn't. He suggested Levein was picking the team, a claim rubbished by Neilson and players.

He never said that. He said how we played was like a Levein team. Not the same thing.

Malinga the Swinga

Don't normally mind Stewart, but if he and all the others like him, are such tactical geniuses, why aren't they willing or able to put their reputations on the line and go out and do some coaching themselves.

Far too easy to sit on the sideline and criticise everyone, but offer nothing themselves.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Totally agree with Michael today. He has been reading my posts :rolleyes: .9 changes, no continuity wtf is the plan or strategy Levein has in place. I would love to hear from Levein specifically what the strategy is.

As Stewart correctly points out he is getting paid a lot of money for continuity that simply does not exist.

Malinga the Swinga

Stewart is a PHM who IMO is probably the best pundit in scotland. Speaks his mind and not afraid to upset anyone.

I have no doubt at all that 80% of our signings have come from Levein. Your telling me that Cathro knew of Sowah? Or the greek boys etc. Granted he clearly had a big say on Goncalves coming but was same for Neilson. CL and john Murray are behind 80% of all our signings since the new regime. And very few get pass marks. MARTIN, OSHANIWA, SAMMON all on 3 year deals gtf man. Our signing policy seems to be get in whoever we can and hope they work and for me they dont. Giving 6 month deals to players is the better idea as they know they are fighting for a new deal or a big move. 3 year deals to likes of Osh Martin and Sammon make them do **** all because they know they picking up a wage regardless. The regime is shite and Cathro is working with other peoples players and not his own

If you could be bothered doing any research at all, you would know it was Austin M who knew about the Greek players through his involvement with Northern Ireland in their Euro qualifiers. Same for Strunah I believe, but carry on blaming Levein.

Don't normally mind Stewart, but if he and all the others like him, are such tactical geniuses, why aren't they willing or able to put their reputations on the line and go out and do some coaching themselves.

Far too easy to sit on the sideline and criticise everyone, but offer nothing themselves.

So basically, you don't normally mind him, but you do today, because he is not saying Levein is wonderful, and that Cathro is doing a great job.

Amazingly , Jackie Macnamara was up from York last week and ripping Levein apart. Not sure he'd say it to his face but blames Levein for the majority of Dundee United's mess / debt . Several other character flaws were raised also.

Totally agree with Michael today. He has been reading my posts :rolleyes: .9 changes, no continuity wtf is the plan or strategy Levein has in place. I would love to hear from Levein specifically what the strategy is.

As Stewart correctly points out he is getting paid a lot of money for continuity that simply does not exist.

Levein is happy hiding in the background when it comes to the media so don't pin your hopes on hearing from him!

I'm aware we had a Q & A on kickback with him. Maybe that is something we could look into again?

I like Stewart most of the time but I don't take much note when he speaks about Levein. It's known he doesn't like him and I think it clouds his judgment.

Amazingly , Jackie Macnamara was up from York last week and ripping Levein apart. Not sure he'd say it to his face but blames Levein for the majority of Dundee United's mess / debt . Several other character flaws were raised also.

Well if that's what that wee scrote is saying then Levein can't be all bad, I'm on Leveins side if he is upsetting McNamara

Wish I hadn't mentioned Levein...

My frustration is Stewart left out the context of signing 30 odd players to make his point stronger.

He's a pundit on national TV. Help the viewers out with some context eh. And that goes for about all clubs when he does the likes of Sportscene, not just Hearts.

Arnold Rothstein

The fact that he's being talked about as the "best pundit out there" says all you need to know about punditry in Scottish football. He's thick as ****.

I like Stewart most of the time but I don't take much note when he speaks about Levein. It's known he doesn't like him and I think it clouds his judgment.

Correct. He's generally decent but has hated Levein for years and will say just about anything if it's critical of Levein. I don't mind him on other things but the past couple weeks will have been like Christmas for him.

(Not defending Levein).

Malinga the Swinga

So basically, you don't normally mind him, but you do today, because he is not saying Levein is wonderful, and that Cathro is doing a great job.

No, that isn't what I am saying. I am saying it would be nice if pundits would actually have some experience of coaching themselves, before they slate everyone. Barry Ferguson and Craigan are giving it a go, but I can't think of any of the other pundits who commentate on Scottish games who do.

No, that isn't what I am saying. I am saying it would be nice if pundits would actually have some experience of coaching themselves, before they slate everyone. Barry Ferguson and Craigan are giving it a go, but I can't think of any of the other pundits who commentate on Scottish games who do.

I agree. But why only call it out when someone has criticised Levein? Why not when they have praised him, or us, or criticised other teams.

I also must say Craigan talks a lot more shite than Stewart, so despite his involvement in coaching, he has not been immune to criticism on here.

Don't know any detail on United finances but there were a lot of players signed there at that time.

Totally disagree think Michael speaks a lot of sense,accurately reflects on the mismanagement at Tynecastle ( on the playing side!) The team selection yesterday was amateurish to say the least a view supported by Cathros inability to provide any sensible rationale in his after match interview. It's almost a replica of team selection in Robbies tenure players constantly asked to do things they are unable to do out of position. There is however one common denominator A one time Hearts legend slowly becoming the club clown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This

What are we paying Levein for. I would love to know. Does anyone know?

And this.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Totally disagree think Michael speaks a lot of sense,accurately reflects on the mismanagement at Tynecastle ( on the playing side!) The team selection yesterday was amateurish to say the least a view supported by Cathros inability to provide any sensible rationale in his after match interview. It's almost a replica of team selection in Robbies tenure players constantly asked to do things they are unable to do out of position. There is however one common denominator A one time Hearts legend slowly becoming the club clown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, Robbie had realised he needed width and was using Muirhead, we seem to be unbelievably back to playing narrow constantly and being exposed on the wings defensively.

We are witnessing all of the same mistakes play out again

i wish jj was my dad

Don't know any detail on United finances but there were a lot of players signed there at that time.

Eddie Thomson blew a fortune when Ian Mccall was manager. Chisholm and Brewster also had hefty budgets. Levein tidied up the mess.

Questions to be asked about our recruitment strategy but he was very good for Utd.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Eddie Thomson blew a fortune when Ian Mccall was manager. Chisholm and Brewster also had hefty budgets. Levein tidied up the mess.

Questions to be asked about our recruitment strategy but he was very good for Utd.

I agree which makes the hear and now disappointing

Ironically, Robbie had realised he needed width and was using Muirhead, we seem to be unbelievably back to playing narrow constantly and being exposed on the wings defensively.

We are witnessing all of the same mistakes play out again

bang on!

McNamara sold his soul to the devil. Him and Thompson allowing all their best players to leave in January right before a cup final against them, to profit personally themselves was the lowest of the low.

His opinion isn't worth 2 shiny shits.

Didn't see Sportscene but from what's been reported here I'd say Stewart has a good point - we don't have a discernible pattern of play and there's far too much chopping and changing. Cathro needs to find a team and style and stick to them.

McNamara sold his soul to the devil. Him and Thompson allowing all their best players to leave in January right before a cup final against them, to profit personally themselves was the lowest of the low.

His opinion isn't worth 2 shiny shits.

Exactly.  With Jackies record, i'd be keeping my trap shut.

Why does everything the club says regarding Levein have to be open to debate? Why the agendas?

I think he signed about 20 players in a couple of seasons at United.

Malinga the Swinga

I agree. But why only call it out when someone has criticised Levein? Why not when they have praised him, or us, or criticised other teams.

I also must say Craigan talks a lot more shite than Stewart, so despite his involvement in coaching, he has not been immune to criticism on here.

Have always said and thought it but never saw appropriate thread till now.

Archived