Phil Stamp PHM and legend

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What a guy.

That's another players who had no connection with the club before singing for us and leaves with the Hearts bug.

He was my favourite player at the time and even got his name on the back of my top :lol:

Bazzas right boot

Christ, I feel old now.

After the game, later on we all met up, one of my hibs mates was in a huff with another one.

He told me, after you equalised, heed the BA turned to me and said " at least we never lost"....

5 mins layer, scenes!

Its good to hear the true story on the house as well.

I fell over the seats at the back of the stand celebrating that goal. He wasnt wrong either we were terrible for 80mins and i still remember the Hibs fans shouting "who" when Neil Janczyk came on.

I've never shouted it at any player since.

"When I was leaving Hearts, I could have signed for Hibs,? he said. ?I knew Tony Mowbray and Mark Proctor from Middlesbrough and I thought about it, but I didn?t feel I could play for Hibs. I felt like I was a Hearts man. In fact, I still feel like I?m a Hearts man. I watch the games whenever they?re on TV. The only two results I?m really interested in are Middlesbrough and Hearts."

That's what I want to hear.

A player who played for the shirt and wore his Heart on his sleeve.

What i'd give for a team for a team of players with this sort of attachment to the club at the moment.

Crazy to think its 15 years ago now though, that defo makes me feel old!

Son Of Anarchy

?When I was leaving Hearts, I could have signed for Hibs,? he said. ?I knew Tony Mowbray and Mark Proctor from Middlesbrough and I thought about it, but I didn?t feel I could play for Hibs. I felt like I was a Hearts man. In fact, I still feel like I?m a Hearts man. I watch the games whenever they?re on TV. The only two results I?m really interested in are Middlesbrough and Hearts. I really loved my time in Edinburgh"

The scenes at those two goals at fester rd were immense. PHM ;)

We_are_the_Hearts

Still takes a keen interest in the Hearts on Facebook. Good to see. In fact Stephane Adam was asking yesterday how he can watch the game in France.

The derbies at that time were awesome.

I wasn't far away from Stamp's celebration.

Also I think that day was Levein's first playing without a recognised striker....

Didn't Simmons start 'up front'?

We were utter shite for 85 minutes.

Fantastic read...really put a smile on my face...that 5 mins at Fester Rd goes down as a top 5 moment for me watching the Jambos the last 30 years no question...

Have we had big Phil up at the club for any half time appearances at all, esp againt the Hubs?

To take the wrap for the house thing also shows he is a top bloke who obviously doesnt take himself too seriously and a team player to boot...

Great article....so much scope for someone else to write themself into a long and glorious chapter of the Hearts in the derby tomorrow...hopefully we have some big characters willing to step up and grab the game and lead us to a famous victory tmrw.... :)

That quote about signing for Hibs is iconic.

I love just how so many of our heroes from lands near and far, become so ingrained with the history and culture of our club.

It's truly beautiful. :sob:

Not one to say all this 'more than a football club' malarkey, but this shows we're not just a club. We're a community.

We_are_the_Hearts

That quote about signing for Hibs is iconic.

I love just how so many of our heroes from lands near and far, become so ingrained with the history and culture of our club.

It's truly beautiful. :sob:

Not one to say all this 'more than a football club' malarkey, but this shows we're not just a club. We're a community.

The fans were more together back then, need to get that back

The fans were more together back then, need to get that back

I agree, but even in recent seasons, foreign players are still leaving with Hearts in their heart.

Zeefuik probably the most recent.

I remember he burst his boot at Tynecastle and the time he put the ball round one side of a player and out paced them round the other side.

We_are_the_Hearts

I agree, but even in recent seasons, foreign players are still leaving with Hearts in their heart.

Zeefuik probably the most recent.

And to be fair some of the modern players look they don't give a shit so the same rapport is not built. McGowan, Rudi and sleeves are the best examples of recent times

letsalldothebeattie

Loved Stampy when he was with us. Gave his absolute all for the shirt. Good to see he still watches us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a vague recollection of him with the rest of the Hearts squad checking in at Bordeaux?M?rignac Airport surrounded by Hearts fans singing "Stampy for England" :D

He looked a tad embarrassed that night ....

he looks fitter and younger now than he did playing for us!

He was a hero of mine back then was in the stand behind the goal that day and they carnage after he scored was immense. I was still knackered and trying to find my way back to my original seat after the equaliser had gone it. What a day.

love hearing about guys like him that had little interest or knowledge about us but now classes himself as a hearts man and keeps tabs on us still even though he was only with us for a few years. He featured is some cracking games for us the two hibs one mentioned and the Euro adventures.

We_are_the_Hearts

I have a lot of love for that 2002/03 & 2003/04 team.

That was a Levein team. Still can't believe some numpties were saying Robbie's team were a Levein team, not even close in terms of style.

Bazzas right boot

Still takes a keen interest in the Hearts on Facebook. Good to see. In fact Stephane Adam was asking yesterday how he can watch the game in France.

It's on TV....

What a guy.

That's another players who had no connection with the club before singing for us and leaves with the Hearts bug.

He was my favourite player at the time and even got his name on the back of my top :lol:

What did he sing? :sunny:

Strange day all round for me. Our bus was attacked by hibs casuals pre match, game was utter guff for 86 minutes then simply the best 10 minutes you could ever wish for at a football match. Carnage when he scored, I think I was pretty much celebrating when the ball came through to him. there are moments supporting Hearts, like up at Dens sitting 2 nil up and they score, you just know what's happening, luckily that was one of those moments that I knew the tide had turned for us. It's missed in the after math of the game but Hibs were utter, utter rubbish that day. That was one of the worst hibs sides I've seen, until the 2012 team obviously. We played no striker and they played for a draw.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

What a guy.

The moment the ball hit the back of the net is still, my all time best 'instant' Hearts moment. It was magnificent. I was given a, fairly big, canvas of him just about to pull the trigger as a present a few years ago. It's still got pride of place in my flat.

His weave looks like it was done by the same guy that turfed the roof on the house he rented when he lived up here.

I remember his landlord complained that the roof hadn't been watered and there was pizza on the kitchen ceiling.

LAD.

PHM

rudi must stay

I remember he burst his boot at Tynecastle and the time he put the ball round one side of a player and out paced them round the other side.

There was a Q & a in match with a Boro player, Juninho I think, he said Phil Stamp was the most talented player he'd ever played with.

I remember one of his first games for us, I think against Motherwell, and he chased a guys across towards the main stand and put in an absolute cruncher (fair thiouhh) of a tackle that left a massive gouge out the pitch and the Motherwell player almost in the stand, it got a standing ovation and I thought "he'll do for me !!"

The derby goal was just incredible, that last 5 minutes from Jancyk getting the "WHOOOOOO" treatment to that goal was just mental.

Zero fecks given for the red card as well.

Let's get him up for a game.

The derby goal was just incredible, that last 5 minutes from Jancyk getting the "WHOOOOOO" treatment to that goal was just mental.

The hibs fans reaction to Jancyk coming on was what made the moment all the sweeter when it happened.

Amazing stuff! When you watch certain moments back even years after, you can always SEE the bedlam and you can tell that its not 'just another goal' - special moments which simply cannot be replicated under 'normal' circumstances.

Up there alongside Quitongo against Celtic and Templeton at Anfield in terms of the bedlam-factor for sure.

Loved Stampy. A true cult hero.

A very very likeable Hearts player

He's putting on the chunk now though eh.

Салатные палочки

Broke my mates coffee table that day.  Had been at a party all night and caught the bus back in the morning, into the shop for a carry out and round to his for the game. Slept through most of the game but thankfully caught the last five mins.  When Stampy scored I obviously jumped up but unfortunately caught the glass in the coffee table and tipped it over, smashing it.  His bursd was not impressed but at that time I couldn't have cared less.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Good to hear many others remembering the day as I do. I think it was such a mental celebration as nothing really did look like happening for us. It had been a miserable day. I'm sure we followed it up in midweek with a 1-0 League Cup win at Pittodrie, Stampy got sung all night

Good that he "cleared" up the flat debate

Lucille's Thirsty

I can't remember this game too much but wasn't that the game that Kevin McKenna scored that looping header with,I remember crying when that went in I was very young though incapable of controlling emotion.

I can't remember this game too much but wasn't that the game that Kevin McKenna scored that looping header with,I remember crying when that went in I was very young though incapable of controlling emotion.

It was, Looped it back across the keeper.

I was in the Dam on a stag do.  Watched it in the Globe Bar just on the Red Light.  Absolute scenes when Stampy's goal went in.  Scared a load of English lads who were in for the English Premiership game, and had been moaning their faces off about Scottish Football being on the big screen.  Brilliant day and a right good player.

Great moment that, just behind the 2012 cup final in my opinion.

My memory might be playing tricks, but I'm sure that was around the time the 'allegations' against John Leslie came out and one of our fans had nicked one of the newspaper banners outside a shop that had 'Leslie in rape allegation', or something along those lines and took it into the ground.

Nelly Terraces

were staying in the same hotel as the team when we played in Sarajevo ? around the time there was a story in the papers about Stampy making a right mess of a gaff he was renting up here so we gave him a wee chant of ?Stampy Stampy ? Wreck ma Hoose!? which he took with a laugh. No airs and graces about the guy, totally down to earth and his PHM credentials are unquestionable. That night down the Girodome was chuffing magnificent.

Top Bloke the Stamp. As others have said, get him back for a game, always sure of a warm welcome at Tynie. :2thumbsup:

So many quotes in that article are amazing.  What a season of derbies.  I was in Robbo's Bar (i was 18) for the Stamp game. 

The 4-4 game was ridiculous.  There must be quite a few who went to that game who missed the Weir goals.  I watched both on the steps of the Wheatfield, somehow.  I don't think it got the deserved celebration because it was like witnessing the birth of a baby.  People were overcome by how incredible it was. (or at least I was)

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

2 great goals in that game. Loved Stampy's celebration going down the tunnel. I was in line with McKenna's header Colgan was beaten as soon as it left his head.

Archived