Decent coffee

Pans Jambo

A bit of balance for the Tea thread.

So no coffee makers or machines allowed. Just coffeeyou make in a cup with granuals/powder/whatever from a jar/tin.

I currently use Nescafe Azzera Americano. A vary large teaspoon full in the mug, mix it with milk THEN add the water. Sugar? Away ya weirdo's!

Anyway, its OK but it's not what I would call a great cup of coffee.

Any recommends?

As you say, you're definitely not getting a great cup of coffee, but there are drinkable granulated coffees out there. Alta Rica being one.

As you say, you're definitely not getting a great cup of coffee, but there are drinkable granulated coffees out there. Alta Rica being one.

Not tried that one. I'll give it a go. Is it a very strong coffee?

I dont mind that but some can taste like hot dirt TBH.

I used to love McDonalds take away coffee as I mainly work out on the road but for some reason, theyve changed it and it tastes like hot dirt now.

Anyway, Alta Rica will be tested tomorrow. Cheers.

Anything from the chain shops like Starbucks or Costa is pish.

From my experience here, anything served in France is also pish but, a 30 minute walk for us into Italy the coffee is a third of the price and three times better.

FT French.

Anything from the chain shops like Starbucks or Costa is pish.

From my experience here, anything served in France is also pish but, a 30 minute walk for us into Italy the coffee is a third of the price and three times better.

FT French.

I was buying the McD's coffe because I dont pay ?5 for a cup of shite from Starbucks etc. At least McD's is only ?1.60 shite.

Why is it so hard to get a tasty hot beveridge here? :(

Say What Again

I currently use Nescafe Azzera

That's what I currently have at home. It's not too bad. My favourite instant coffee is Carte Noire though.

At home I only drink fresh coffee, fair trade italian blend from co-op, its ok but not terrific. If I'm out I used to get coffee from McDonalds, but not for a while. Greggs coffee is fairly decent and cheap ?2 gets you coffee and a bacon roll.

I'll never go back to instant coffee.

At home I only drink fresh coffee, fair trade italian blend from co-op, its ok but not terrific. If I'm out I used to get coffee from McDonalds, but not for a while. Greggs coffee is fairly decent and cheap ?2 gets you coffee and a bacon roll.

I'll never go back to instant coffee.

That Greggs deal?

Sounds good actually :thumb:

Greggs coffee is good.

If having milk it has to be cold. Hot milk in coffee tastes horrible.

But Nespresso is best. (Livanto, Vanillio or Dharkan)

The Azzera stuff is decent. Have it at work.

Two spoons of coffee (nice and strong) hot water then a splash of milk.

luckyBatistuta

So no coffee makers or machines allowed. Just coffeeyou make in a cup with granuals/powder/whatever from a jar/tin.

I currently use Nescafe Azzera Americano. A vary large teaspoon full in the mug, mix it with milk THEN add the water. Sugar? Away ya weirdo's!

Any recommends?

This for me...

IMG_2590.jpg

Milk? Away ya weirdo!

Nescafe, the ordinary one, with evaporated milk. Not something I have every day, but a nice change now and again.

I was buying the McD's coffe because I dont pay ?5 for a cup of shite from Starbucks etc. At least McD's is only ?1.60 shite.

Why is it so hard to get a tasty hot beveridge here? :(

I don't ever recall seeing a coffee costing as much as ?5 in Starbucks.

I don't go there often, but I think the most I have paid is around half that, for a grande, or whatever they call it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Instant coffee is rank rotten, used to drink it loads but ant stomach the stuff now. Most coffee in chains in the U.K. is also pretty rank, it's usually brewed with boiling water and generally always tastes burnt.

Any recommends?

You may as well close the thread. Nobody can recommend you a decent instant coffee as it doesn't exist. There's no excuse for not using a cafetiere at the very least.

You may as well close the thread. Nobody can recommend you a decent instant coffee as it doesn't exist. There's no excuse for not using a cafetiere at the very least.

Yeah

9en9I9.gif

Yeah

9en9I9.gif

I don't know what that means but I hope the dude on the right agrees with me. Don't fancy shitting in his shoes.

Rudolf's Mate

Only granules I'd use were Kenco Costa Rican until someone brought Aldi's Columbian into work. Probably made by Kenco anyway however it wipes the floor with the CR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For the non heathens, try Pact Coffee, monthly subscription for small batch coffees, usually roasted, ground to preference and delivered within 3-4 days. Compare that to the stuff in the supermarket that will have been roasted and ground months ago.

Only granules I'd use were Kenco Costa Rican until someone brought Aldi's Columbian into work. Probably made by Kenco anyway however it wipes the floor with the CR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Colombian from Aldi is really good :thumbsup:

A decent cup of coffee is not something I can say I have ever had whilst on this island.

I'm glad I got addicted to tea.

I have a coffee grinder and a barrista machine at home, buy ground beans and a cafetiere at work. I abhor instant coffee generally but if pushed the alta Rica is passable but iinstant coffee all tastes a bit nasty to me.

Oh and you should never put boiling water into coffee, it should be off boil otherwise it scorches the coffee and leaves a bitter taste

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

For the non heathens, try Pact Coffee, monthly subscription for small batch coffees, usually roasted, ground to preference and delivered within 3-4 days. Compare that to the stuff in the supermarket that will have been roasted and ground months ago.

I've considered Pact but I'm a tight arse and buy my beans in Costco. I won't entertain pre-packed ground coffee as my shifts at work can dictate how quickly/slowly it gets used.

I've considered Pact but I'm a tight arse and buy my beans in Costco. I won't entertain pre-packed ground coffee as my shifts at work can dictate how quickly/slowly it gets used.

With Pact you choose how you want it ground (drip filter, aeropress, stovetop, cafetiere etc) or you can just select to get the whole beans. Good variety of roast levels and flavours and I enjoy getting a different coffee most months, although I do tend to pick the Guatemalan Fruit and Nut Espresso blend quite a lot! 

Love my fresh coffee but not always got the time to load it up and get it going(cannae be arsed with the cleaning it every day :D)

As for the main subject of instant coffee, Kenco Rich is nice. Especially with a mouthful of maltesers!

Also like Rappor now and again.

Ally Alexander

Instant coffee is rank rotten, used to drink it loads but ant stomach the stuff now. Most coffee in chains in the U.K. is also pretty rank, it's usually brewed with boiling water and generally always tastes burnt.

The main problem with most of the coffee chains is that they don't roast the beans properly.  Certainly Starbucks and Costa coffee is sour due to under-roasting and Caf? Nero bitter due to over roasting.   I use a cafetiere with ground beans. Used to like the Percol Guatemalan but it has not been the same since they were taken over a couple of years ago. Their Latin American is not too bad, though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Lavazza Prontissimo Intenso is hitting the spot for now.

That is a favourite at the moment.

The main problem with most of the coffee chains is that they don't roast the beans properly.  Certainly Starbucks and Costa coffee is sour due to under-roasting and Caf? Nero bitter due to over roasting.   I use a cafetiere with ground beans. Used to like the Percol Guatemalan but it has not been the same since they were taken over a couple of years ago. Their Latin American is not too bad, though.

I always liked  Percol especially the Italiano but I too have noticed a drop off in flavour in their coffees. Still good but not as good now!

Its interesting to hear how a few of us have experienced a" falling out of favour" with certain brands, blends or roasts. I experienced this with Costa in the form of 220G packs strength 3 which were available from ASDA 2 for ?5 now no longer available at that price & certainly no longer available on their home delivery site. At first it was lovely, but gradually I upped the amount I was using per cafetiere, from 2 tablespoonsful to 2.5.

Maybe my palate was becoming too used to it, but it seemed to me that the coffee had lost its richness & taste. I use a small cafeitiere which gives a good mugful of coffee with a wee bit left over. I like mine on the stronger side, rich and full-bodied. rather like my red wine & women. Can anyone recommend a blend I can try which meets my preferences.?

feedtheroman2

On the subject of coffee, I too vary between brands for my instant coffee at work (currently favouring kenco rich).

I remember 2 years ago, one of the rep's brothers worked in the far-east and on his return, brought in loads of kopi-luwak coffee.

That stuff is unreal but ridiculously expensive. If you want instant coffee, give that a try. It's absolutely phenomenal but I'll leave the surprise of how it's made to yourselves!

Instant coffee isn't great. I used to enjoy the azira fine ground stuff before I got an espresso machine and grinder.

Beans ground every morning and a fresh brew consumed before work.

Been working my way through various "northern edge" coffee beans which are roasted reasonably local.

Delicious, all of them.

Used to live in Colombia, the coffee there was out of this world. Was surprised by the amount of people that drink instant over there though, good granulated stuff does actually exist.

I strongly recommend against doing this. I did it once as a trial and now all other coffees taste rubbish in comparison. I'm now on the hook for 2 bags of Pact coffee a month to keep up with my thirst!

Cafetiere or a little Bialetti stove top for espresso at home.

Make do with as good as I can find when out and about.

Was put onto The Algerian Coffee Store by a pal from London.

http://www.algcoffee.co.uk

Does mail orders, options of beans, different grinds etc.

Started with the Cafe Torino and the Formula Rossa

Out of this world. I'm hooked.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Captain America

418Lxm5yo5L._SY445_.jpg This is what i have at work and have some in house when not using machine. Used to drink Milicano but cant stand stuff now.

I strongly recommend against doing this. I did it once as a trial and now all other coffees taste rubbish in comparison. I'm now on the hook for 2 bags of Pact coffee a month to keep up with my thirst!

Ffs I'm probably going to have to give this a go. What size of packs do they send and for how much?

My biggest issue is I normally buy bags just shy of a kilo of San Francisco Bays Columbian Supremo from Costco for less than ?8 and it's very very nice.

Walter Payton

I've also got a subscription to Pact, definitely recommended!

Ffs I'm probably going to have to give this a go. What size of packs do they send and for how much?

My biggest issue is I normally buy bags just shy of a kilo of San Francisco Bays Columbian Supremo from Costco for less than ?8 and it's very very nice.

They're 250g for about 7 quid. Not cheap, but excellent.

Rudolf's Mate

I'm thinking the same thing tbh.

A kilo of Colombian for less than ?8 :wow: 

They're 250g for about 7 quid. Not cheap, but excellent.

Oooft, I'm out. Maybe when the boy isn't costing me ?1,200 a month in nursery fees.

Archived