Pick your team and tactics for Easter Rd.

Elias Henry Furst

Didn't do Hibs any harm in last years Semi. Jack is a bag of nerves just now, whether it be cross balls or kicking.

Tough call as Noring hasn't started any competitive games but he should be right up to prove a point so on balance I an a convert to him starting. Also it would puncture one of Hibs tactics of targeting him.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
julienbrellier

After reading some of this I am so glad Cathro is picking the team 

me too.  some people are actually playing Cowie as first choice, beggers belief.

Most have picked our strongest team and the one that will start on Wed.  Need to go two up front.

Hamilton

the usual 4 at the back

Djoum  Tziolis   Kitchen  Walker

Isma   Johnsen

me too. some people are actually playing Cowie as first choice, beggers belief.

Most have picked our strongest team and the one that will start on Wed. Need to go two up front.

Hamilton

the usual 4 at the back

Djoum Tziolis Kitchen Walker

Isma Johnsen

Djoum on the right (or left) never, ever works.

4231 for me with with the usual back 5, tziolis and kitchen in the middle, walker and goncalves wide with djoum supporting Johnson! 2-0 Hearts!

maroonnicky63

Hamilton

Struna Avlonitis Hughes Sowah

Walker Kitchen Tziolis Choulay

Djoum

Goncalves

Still think the tactics in the first game were more or less OK, but Martin dropped too deep and wanted too long on the ball, leaving Isma isolated. Going for Choulay over Nicholson as Sam's been out for a while and looked pretty ineffective in the first game, but I don't really mind who starts as long as we play with a bit of width.

Tziolis is class. I know he sometimes wants to slow the game down a bit too much, but his reading of the game's far better than anyone else we have. He has to play, but Kitchen should be alongside him to battle against Bartley and Fyvie and to make sure we aren't outmatched in midfield. Djoum should be dropping in to help too when we don't have the ball.  

Now is not the time for a debutant keeper. I'd leave the back four unchanged. I don't think there's much between Sowah and Rherras, but Sowah being left-footed gives us a bit more balance.

Hibs looked more or less unchanged on Saturday from the first game (apart from Forster being out injured and Graham in for Holt). I'm assuming Holt will start on Wed and that it'll be basically the same team as the first game, though I think they'll try to play a bit more football this time. If that's the case, the key things are stopping the full-backs getting forward and winning the midfield battle. We have the better players. We should be looking to control the game.

Good point about Hamilton I suppose, he just looks uneasy as if he has lost confidence and perhaps all the pass backs don't help, insisting on playing from the back ie roll the ball out or pass it out short. IMO if you are playing isma and Johnsen there is nothing wrong with the occasional high ball but johnsen needs to win the ball in the air as mcgregor beat him mostly all the time at tyncastle he needs to learn to jump.

Just ask each and everyone of them a simple question

Do you want it , really really want to beat hibs ?

Any hesitation your not playing ,

Derby day is a battle ,win that then you can go and show off the skills , but win that ****ing battle first

Bazzas right boot

I'd play the Winning tactic, heard about it lots, dunno why teams don't use it more tbh.

me too.  some people are actually playing Cowie as first choice, beggers belief.

Most have picked our strongest team and the one that will start on Wed.  Need to go two up front.

Hamilton

the usual 4 at the back

Djoum  Tziolis   Kitchen  Walker

Isma   Johnsen

i think the best Cowie can hope for would be a seat on the bench m8 , never trained last week and i would be surprised if he is a starter although you never no if he is back training this week which i don't no . ps the team you have picked here is the team i would go with . 

Hamilton

Struna
Hughes
Avlonitis
Rherras

Kitchen
Novak

Djoum
Walker
Goncalves

Johnsen

Wont be a popular opinion to drop Tziolis but to me he just isn't the kind of player we can afford to carry as a passenger in this match. Kitchen had a good game on Saturday and I liked Nowak v rangers. As much as we all want to play great football, Hibs WILL turn this into a battle so I hope we stick Kitchen and Nowak in the centre and allow the forward 4 to attack with more freedom if possible.

Bazzas right boot

Hamilton

Struna

Hughes

Avlonitis

Rherras

Kitchen

Novak

Djoum

Walker

Goncalves

Johnsen

Wont be a popular opinion to drop Tziolis but to me he just isn't the kind of player we can afford to carry as a passenger in this match. Kitchen had a good game on Saturday and I liked Nowak v rangers. As much as we all want to play great football, Hibs WILL turn this into a battle so I hope we stick Kitchen and Nowak in the centre and allow the forward 4 to attack with more freedom if possible.

I agree and I thought the same with Cowie replacing tzolis, however given hibs choice to shell diagnol balls, Novak isn't a bad shout.

Novak for his Ariel ability or cowie for his energy over the class of tzolis.

Tzolis to come on after about an hour, once the game has slowed a little, he'll be fresh and should find space.

Just ask each and everyone of them a simple question

Do you want it , really really want to beat hibs ?

Any hesitation your not playing ,

Derby day is a battle ,win that then you can go and show off the skills , but win that ******* battle first

Do the team talk will you please?

Perfect :thumb:

maroonnicky63

Not much Martin love on here guys. Do people already not rate this guy?

Think it will take him time to adjust , he expects far to much time on the ball and he will never get it here

Think it will take him time to adjust , he expects far to much time on the ball and he will never get it here

Where I'm at really. Hopefully he'll get up to speed with our game but not for Wednesday. Maybe as a sub bit that would mean we're chasing the game!

Did you not just complain about people personalising criticism?

I was responding directly to the same individual

Is that OK?

I would go with

Hamilton

Avlonitis     Hughes     Sowah

Struna                                                                    Rherras

Djoum                 Tziolis

Walker

Isma                       Johnsen

An attacking 352 and push them from the off

I would go with

Hamilton

Struna                                                                    Rherras

Walker

Playing 2 left backs at Easter Road. IS that you Robbie?

We have to play with two strikers.

4-1-3-2

Hamilton

Struna Avlonitis Hughes Sowah

Tziolis

Kitchen Djoum Walker

Isma Johnsen

Can become a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Goncalves moving too the right and Walker going wide left if we want to stretch them or exploit any space left by Gray and Stevenson going forward.

I just don't want Isma isolated up front on his own with Bartley in front of him blocking any passes into him. Playing alongside Johnsen will leave him free to find space with Johnsen still occupying the Hibs CB' s.

Bigger, wider pitch, Hibs will have to come out and play, we should try and control the game patiently and make Hibs Chase it.

This totally works for me. 

I would go with

Hamilton

Avlonitis Hughes Sowah

Struna Rherras

Djoum Tziolis

Walker

Isma Johnsen

Rherras won't be playing

Johnsen will play. We struggled last Sunday as we had no out ball and no one to hold the ball up and play off isma. Isma needs service and feeds off little flicks and knock downs etc, Johnsen alongside him will help that. I'd play Djoum in behind them with Walker and choulay wide. Kitchen and the Greek boy in the middle. Usual back 4 and Hamilton.

We need width. We never laid a glove on gray or Stevenson. Stevenson especially is their weak link. We need walker and Struna running at him and going by each other. Same on the other side. I'd like to see Kitchen and or the Greek boy put one on Bartley straight away. A good clean tackle but set the tone. Bartley is the key for me. Take him out the game and Hibs have nothing and no one in their that can stop us playing. Don't be silly to think Hibs aren't a threat. Cummings, Keatings and McGinn are all capable of producing something from nothing but by taking their protection away in Bartley, will open up the game for us. Walker needs to show up. When he clicks, we click. I'd also like Hamilton to stop being passed the ball. He's not strong enough on it to be the sweeper keeper. Laces through it and get it out the danger area. Pissing about trying to be fancy is going to cost us one day.

He Who Cannot Be Named

Johnsen will play. We struggled last Sunday as we had no out ball and no one to hold the ball up and play off isma. Isma needs service and feeds off little flicks and knock downs etc, Johnsen alongside him will help that. I'd play Djoum in behind them with Walker and choulay wide. Kitchen and the Greek boy in the middle. Usual back 4 and Hamilton.

We need width. We never laid a glove on gray or Stevenson. Stevenson especially is their weak link. We need walker and Struna running at him and going by each other. Same on the other side. I'd like to see Kitchen and or the Greek boy put one on Bartley straight away. A good clean tackle but set the tone. Bartley is the key for me. Take him out the game and Hibs have nothing and no one in their that can stop us playing. Don't be silly to think Hibs aren't a threat. Cummings, Keatings and McGinn are all capable of producing something from nothing but by taking their protection away in Bartley, will open up the game for us. Walker needs to show up. When he clicks, we click. I'd also like Hamilton to stop being passed the ball. He's not strong enough on it to be the sweeper keeper. Laces through it and get it out the danger area. Pissing about trying to be fancy is going to cost us one day.

Unfortunately we won't be allowed to play with 12 players.

Hamilton

Struna Hughes Tsos Sowah

Kitchen Tziolis

Djoum

Walker Isma Johnson

Pull the back 4 about and try and create space for Isma. Let Walker drift about and swap with Johnson if needed - I doubt walker is going to get much out of Gray so would target players running at Stevenson. 

Would also target Bartley if he starts. Guy is an accident waiting to happen with his fouls. If he goes onto a booking he's ****ed.

If Kitchen can man mark Cummings we've stopped them scoring. so it just becomes breaking them down.

Lincon Premier

I would have any combination of Walker, Cowie, Martin, Djoum with Currie, Goncalves up front. Then bring on Johnsen or Beith after 60 minutes. Any mix of these players should start but we need two up front.

We seriously lacked width at ER last season in the first half, which allowed their full backs to push right up and cause havoc. Hope we've learnt from this. 2 wide men is a must.

.                  Hamilton

Struna Avlonitis Hughes Rheres

.                  Tziolis 

.       Kitchen         Djoum

.                 Walker

.      Johnsen         Isma

width coming from the full backs. Perry needs to have a good game pressing high up the park with Djoum picking up his scraps and creating play for the 3 forward players. Need to win the midfield and the second balls. When we are required to be defensive Tziolis needs to step in to make it mid 3 leaving plenty options for fast counter attacking options. We played well on Sat just couldent get the ball in the back of the net. Will be close but going 0-2 HMFC

We seriously lacked width at ER last season in the first half, which allowed their full backs to push right up and cause havoc. Hope we've learnt from this. 2 wide men is a must.

Agreed. We need to get their full backs going backwards. It's the only area they get any width from.

I think Cathro got it right in the first game by playing 2 wide men . They are a decent back 4 but they do lack pace

Hopefully this time we can get at them more

RenfrewHearts

Yep, the start to the game last year was chronic. Need to start with a tempo and a purpose. Agree regards the 2 wide men!

Noring   

Struna     Avlonitis      Hughes       Sowah

Tziolis

Djoum                              Martin

Cowie

Isma       Walker

I think pairing Walker up with Isma could be dynamite. Cowie's the main man for (expected) assists so would have him sitting in just behind. Plenty of presence in the midfield with Djoum and Martin being the outlets for Tziolis.

Strategy: War of attrition.

Tactics: Win the physical fight first and foremost; use our quality to wear down opposition with crisp passing around the midfield. Battles with opposite numbers to be won individually.

Noring

Struna Avlonitis Hughes Sowah

Tziolis

Djoum Martin

Cowie

Isma Walker

I think pairing Walker up with Isma could be dynamite. Cowie's the main man for (expected) assists so would have him sitting in just behind. Plenty of presence in the midfield with Djoum and Martin being the outlets for Tziolis.

Strategy: War of attrition.

Tactics: Win the physical fight first and foremost; use our quality to wear down opposition with crisp passing around the midfield. Battles with opposite numbers to be won individually.

No width = trouble

I thought Martin hindered us in the first game, giving so many needless fouls away! Maybe more suited to the game later when it slows down a little

Nelly Terraces

I'm still having nightmares about it now. Awful stuff.

They had so much space wide you could drive 2 buses down there, nobody in a Hearts shirt closer than 15 yards from the right back for one cross, cleared it, 2 minutes later the same guy with the same amount of time & space to cross again - goal. We need to stretch them on Wed night, playing through the middle will play right into their hands.

I'm still having nightmares about it now. Awful stuff.

They had so much space wide you could drive 2 buses down there, nobody in a Hearts shirt closer than 15 yards from the right back for one cross, cleared it, 2 minutes later the same guy with the same amount of time & space to cross again - goal. We need to stretch them on Wed night, playing through the middle will play right into their hands.

Yep. I was going mental before their goal, it was so bloody obvious what the problem was but we didn't address it.

17a8b72c52e7a605fcb45473d07fc45f.jpg

Wouldnt mind seeing a team similar to this but i very much doubt it will happen.

Just run like **** at them.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Can't understand the posters who are putting Rherras in, bad enough playing him at LB in preference to Sowah, but one or two sticking him in midfield, on the left!

I'm in agreement with a few others - Saturday's starting line up, but with Walker in for Choulay, assuming no injuries.

Nelly Terraces

Yep. I was going mental before their goal, it was so bloody obvious what the problem was but we didn't address it.

You & me both mate - I was doing my dinger. It was unreal eh. The goal came from a carbon copy of the 1st cross we managed to clear, we learned nothing & got punished. Never seen fullbacks have so much time & room to get forward in all my days.

We need to pin them back this time, we have the personnel & skill to do so & could make life torture for them by using our width, with pace & power.

RenfrewHearts

You & me both mate - I was doing my dinger. It was unreal eh. The goal came from a carbon copy of the 1st cross we managed to clear, we learned nothing & got punished. Never seen fullbacks have so much time & room to get forward in all my days.

We need to pin them back this time, we have the personnel & skill to do so & could make life torture for them by using our width, with pace & power.

Painful to watch. A big performance wednesday and all is forgiven :).

julienbrellier

I would go with

Hamilton

Walker

:vrface:

BonningtonJambo

I know ill get slated for this but wednesday would off suited a conor sammon not for his quality but for his persistance work rate and to play the psysical game with bartley and there 2 centrebacks allowing djoum walker and isma more room instead of being fouled and bullied

Noring

Struna

Hughes

Avlonitis

Sowah

Kitchen

Cowie

Walker

Djoum

Goncalves

Johnsen

As much as I hate slagging a young goalie, I don't know what Hamilton needs to do to get dropped.

The back 4 has only conceded 4 goals in 2 games, one was a Hamilton flap they could do nothing about, so that's pretty good going.

I think we badly missed Cowie and his running on saturday and he needs to start. I would also start Walker due to his goal threat and general play.

I think Kitchen had a better game on Saturday including the assist for the goal.

That means no place for Choulay and Tziolis.

I'd play more of a 4-2-3-1 with Goncalves playing more of an inside left role and Walker, Cowie and Djoum all taking turns on the right or at 10 or sitting (Walker wouldn't sit, but would alternate between the other roles to mix things up).

I'd have Nicholson as 1st sub and also have Tziolis on for Kitchen if we need a goal.

Looking at them as a threat, I think the main consideration is Gray on the right. He needs to be watched. McGinn and Cummings are dangerous but they will be picked up by central players. We often get outflanked at ER.

That could possibly mean Cowie or Djoum playing further to the left than I have than in my tactics above.

fabienleclerq

I'd start Choulay instead of Walker, or play both of them with only Goncalves up front, and pack the midfield to snuff them out. I'd also put Kitchen on Bartley to nullify that gimp, and the rest will take care of itself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you man mark their worst ball playing midfielder? He doesn't create anything he breaks up play.

Archived