I was at Jimmy's Clark's/ Thomas Aquinas .......St Leonard's 1970 to83

hueyview

My brother was in the first intake of boys at St. Tams, probably 75? First year was mixed but years 2 to 6 were still all girls. A couple of years later an American family moved to Edinburgh and their son joined the school a year or two above my brother, becoming the only boy in his year! Kerching.

A very initial prod.,.. then an all girls catholic school.....

The

Happiest days of our lifes

Brilliant thread already.

Was St Thomas' beside George Heriots?

Brilliant thread already.

Was St Thomas' beside George Heriots?

Correct...the arrival of boys meant competition for those at Heriots who up to then had a supermarket with no competitors on their doorstep

Edited by CJGJ

Correct...the arrival of boys meant competition for those at Heriots who up to then had a supermarket with no competitors on their doorstep

Brilliant description by the way!

I was one of the first of eighty boys who made St Thomas's Co educational in Aug 1975. It was eighty boys to seven hundred girls to start with. As there was no room at the then old school no one could come behind us. So us eighty boys were the only boys for the first four years. To make things even more interesting right across the road was the accommodation for the trainee nurses. I was known as Finn back then. James Barbour was the headmaster. Mr Ellis in charge of the PE department and I could name many others. I had a great four years there. Was a brilliant school.

Was there another St Tam's then? My dad told me he went there but would have been late 50s early 60s and he definitely wasn't a bursd.

Not that I'm aware of.

Asked my mum and turns out it was St Anthony's he went to. Was getting my Tonys mixed up with my Tams!

Easy mistake to make:-0)

Seymour M Hersh

Indeed we did! 

Only problem with St Tams was they would never stand and fight. They were good runners though.

They fought at a Gillespies' dance once.

They thought my head was the ideal place for one of these hook things that held up wallbars.

Stephane Grappelli

Only problem with St Tams was they would never stand and fight. They were good runners though.

All that changed a few years later once boys started attending.

luckyBatistuta

All that changed a few years later once boys started attending.

:yas:

It did, there was even more of them running...no match for Boroughmuir. :smugger:

Stephane Grappelli

It did, there was even more of them running...no match for Boroughmuir. :smugger:

In your dreams love.  Boroughmuir are only building that new school to save them having to run from St Tam's every day.

luckyBatistuta

In your dreams love.  Boroughmuir are only building that new school to save them having to run from St Tam's every day.

IMG_2495.gif

IMG_2536.gif

luckyBatistuta

OK hurd cant.  Tomorrow, the Meadows, after school...

...and bring your dinner, you'll feckin' need it.

never thought I'd come on tonight and get transported back in time to being offered a square go on the meadows :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brilliant, see you there :lol:

Stephane Grappelli

never thought I'd come on tonight and get transported back in time to being offered a square go on the meadows :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brilliant, see you there :lol:

Just need to make sure the teachers don't get to hear about it!

luckyBatistuta

Just need to make sure the teachers don't get to hear about it!

Yeah, remember getting chased by a few of them across the links. Had one of my most embarrassing moments on the links back then. I was in 2nd year and this guy had been trying to get me to fight him all day, so in the end it was agreed it was on. Went down to the links with him and about another 40 odd folk to settle it out. I kicked the absolute crap out of him, but as I went to walk away, a punk girl from two years above me who was related to him, started to beat the crap out of me. She was like a fekin bloke, but it was still :shame:

Stephane Grappelli

Yeah, remember getting chased by a few of them across the links. Had one of my most embarrassing moments on the links back then. I was in 2nd year and this guy had been trying to get me to fight him all day, so in the end it was agreed it was on. Went down to the links with him and about another 40 odd folk to settle it out. I kicked the absolute crap out of him, but as I went to walk away, a punk girl from two years above me who was related to him, started to beat the crap out of me. She was like a fekin bloke, but it was still :shame:

What a sneaky c0w!

Seymour M Hersh

:lol:

I was a Castle boy.

What were you again Seymour?

Raeburn, Lauriston or Greyfriars?

Raeburn (nearly maroon).  :2thumbsup:

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

I see in the obituary pages that John Patrick Dames has died. Mr Dames was the deputy head when I was there. He had come from St joseph's Dumfries. His son Gerry played with me in the school football team. Mr Dames was not a fan of me as I was very RC lite. Was aghast that I was joining the Royal Navy on leaving school.

Still my condolences to all his family and may he RIP.

Stephane Grappelli

I see in the obituary pages that John Patrick Dames has died. Mr Dames was the deputy head when I was there. He had come from St joseph's Dumfries. His son Gerry played with me in the school football team. Mr Dames was not a fan of me as I was very RC lite. Was aghast that I was joining the Royal Navy on leaving school.

Still my condolences to all his family and may he RIP.

I had a lot of time for Mr Dames and he was the head by the time I went to St Tam's.

Not once did I discuss religion with him but he was impressed with the fact that I was a Hearts fan who went home and away.  He loved his football and was a big Celtic fan.  I remember one Friday telling him that we were going to do his team a favour the next day and lo and behold we did, by winning 0-3 at Ibrox with a hat-trick from Magic.

RIP Mr Dames.

I had a lot of time for Mr Dames and he was the head by the time I went to St Tam's.

Not once did I discuss religion with him but he was impressed with the fact that I was a Hearts fan who went home and away.  He loved his football and was a big Celtic fan.  I remember one Friday telling him that we were going to do his team a favour the next day and lo and behold we did, by winning 0-3 at Ibrox with a hat-trick from Magic.

RIP Mr Dames.

Maybe he mellowed a bit by the 90s.

Yes he was very Celtic minded. I got a very good impression from him that he had republican sympathies.

Though he never gave me a hard time per se. Then that might have been due to the fact that I gave my all everytime I represented the school at sports. Football,basketball and,volleyball.

English teachers. McParting, Cochrane and Hart.

Maths. MacGregor and McLaughlin.

Italian. Pia

History. Packham.

Geography. Whitehouse, Stevens and Owen.

Chemistry. Bell.

Physics. Callachan.

Music. McCluskey.

Art. Hyslop.

Woodwork, metal work and technical drawing. McManus.

Home Economics. Christie.

Social Education. Stewart.

Religious Education. Sister Margaret.

Physical Education. Ellis.

Apology to any I may have omitted.

Edited by John Findlay

Think we need to get this thread back on topic...

Christ, it was that long ago I've forgotten what the feckin topic was :lol:

Stephane Grappelli

Christ, it was that long ago I've forgotten what the feckin topic was :lol:

Aye!  I've read the first post about 100 times but still no idea what the OP was trying to say in the first place!

Aye!  I've read the first post about 100 times but still no idea what the OP was trying to say in the first place!

You've read it 99 times less than me then!

It's a tremendous OP.

I think :wink:

• 4 years later...
On 18/02/2017 at 12:51, CJGJ said:

Yes we were down the road from George Heriots and yes boys started in 1975.

On 26/02/2017 at 12:47, John Findlay said:

English teachers. McParting, Cochrane and Hart.

Maths. MacGregor and McLaughlin.

Italian. Pia

History. Packham.

Geography. Whitehouse, Stevens and Owen.

Chemistry. Bell.

Physics. Callachan.

Music. McCluskey.

Art. Hyslop.

Woodwork, metal work and technical drawing. McManus.

Home Economics. Christie.

Social Education. Stewart.

Religious Education. Sister Margaret.

Physical Education. Ellis.

Apology to any I may have omitted.

The PE teacher, was that John Ellis who was also a PE teacher at the old Broughton School at Mcdonald Road in the late 60's early 70's. If so, he was one of a good group In the PE Dept at Broughton at that time. I recall he played Scrum Half for Heriots fp whilst teaching. All round good guy, and I was sad to read his obituary just a few years ago.

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

The PE teacher, was that John Ellis who was also a PE teacher at the old Broughton School at Mcdonald Road in the late 60's early 70's. If so, he was one of a good group In the PE Dept at Broughton at that time. I recall he played Scrum Half for Heriots fp whilst teaching. All round good guy, and I was sad to read his obituary just a few years ago.

Can't remember his first name. Yes was a rugby player. Had been on a Scotland B team tour of Argentina sometime in the 70s

Re Heriots....Donald Hastie PE and his notorious 'bucket squad' for those shall we say not of a cricketing persuasion

Making pupils use a bucket to catch the cricket ball when they were a bit reluctant to do so 🤣

and of course his Elvis comments which tells you how old he was even at that time.

John Findlay
On 18/02/2017 at 04:51, CostaJambo said:

My brother was in the first intake of boys at St. Tams, probably 75? First year was mixed but years 2 to 6 were still all girls. A couple of years later an American family moved to Edinburgh and their son joined the school a year or two above my brother, becoming the only boy in his year! Kerching.

Who is your brother as I was in that first intake too. Was August 75 and there was 80 of us boys to 700 girls(1st year to 6th year).

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Who is your brother as I was in that first intake too. Was August 75 and there was 80 of us boys to 700 girls(1st year to 6th year).

Just read the thread and you must have known him as he was also into a lot of sports and played for the football team (didn't realise there were only 80 to chose from, must've been a doddle to get in the team 😉) and possibly some other sports teams too. First name Ally, probably best to PM me of you want any more details. By the time I went to secondary 4 years later they had shifted first year to the annex (James Clarks??) which was even further away from our house so I and our younger sister ended up at Auggies which was a shit school.

Seymour M Hersh
19 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Re Heriots....Donald Hastie PE and his notorious 'bucket squad' for those shall we say not of a cricketing persuasion

Making pupils use a bucket to catch the cricket ball when they were a bit reluctant to do so 🤣

and of course his Elvis comments which tells you how old he was even at that time.

Donald Get off the bally pitch Hastie. Always remember when he walked into one of the stone pillars at the old building. Did himself a real nasty and was walking gingerly for a long time afterwards. Chester Barnes, Hastie, Tony Welton and Waits (sic) whose brother owned a fruit and veg shop on morning side road. Chester pitched up tp our reunion in 2001. He was on good form. 

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Just read the thread and you must have known him as he was also into a lot of sports and played for the football team (didn't realise there were only 80 to chose from, must've been a doddle to get in the team 😉) and possibly some other sports teams too. First name Ally, probably best to PM me of you want any more details. By the time I went to secondary 4 years later they had shifted first year to the annex (James Clarks??) which was even further away from our house so I and our younger sister ended up at Auggies which was a shit school.

How very dare you?! ('76-'82 I'm talking about.)

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

How very dare you?! ('76-'82 I'm talking about.)

We must've overlapped then, 79-85. You must've like it more than I did, most of my mates went to Royal High and they seemed to get much better grades across the year than we did, might've just been my year (and me lowering the average!). 

On 20/08/2021 at 16:03, CJGJ said:

Donald Hastie would boot one up the backside if one wasn’t as good at rugby as Andy Irvine.