Q&A session with Stuart Wallace, FoH Chairman

davemclaren

Stuart Wallace, who was appointed as FoH chairman at the AGM on Thursday, has agreed to do a Q&A session for JKB later this month. If you have any questions that you would like answered by Stuart then please post them here. This thread will run until 15/2.

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here, Stuarto, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no that bothered but appreciated nonetheless and 10 being skipping with gay abandon around the Federation office, how pleased are you that the plastic fellie from kickback has started up his subs again?

If you could get an answer to that I'd be well chuffed likes.

Here, Stuarto, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no that bothered but appreciated nonetheless and 10 being skipping with gay abandon around the Federation office, how pleased are you that the plastic fellie from kickback has started up his subs again?

If you could get an answer to that I'd be well chuffed likes.

Added to the list. :whistling:

Could he outline what the chairman of FOH job entails and what sort of ideas will he be bringing to the table ? How are membership numbers doing?

(I drew a blank when I thought about them, these seem probably the fairest I could think of)

Can we just send Francis Albert and Football First along? Job done.

That might not be a bad idea. However, others may have questions as well.

Looking past the five years and Bidco have been all paid up and the keys to Tynecastle so to speak are handed to the FOH (supporters ). How will the make up of the club board then be decided? Will it just be FOH contributors or is their scope for others outside of FOH?.

fabienleclerq

I was trying to the question FF was asking about us not getting the 20%? Shares after the stand is built but getting something slightly different.

Hopefully FF can clarify the question if it's not already been answered.

Footballfirst

I was trying to the question FF was asking about us not getting the 20%? Shares after the stand is built but getting something slightly different.

I was hoping that someone who attended the FOH AGM would have been able to answer it, or we may have to wait until FOH provide the answers in a transcript or minutes from the AGM.

I've watched the FOH interview with Stuart on youtube and was interested to hear what he said about the future pledges being so important.  However, in answering, he didn't mention any further infrastructure projects for the cash and seemed to be favouring improving the playing side as being his ambition for FOH. 

I would like to ask if he sees future pledges purely as an additional revenue stream for the club, or as a source of funding for specific projects.

I'd also like to ask him to answer FA's question for the AGM re the future status of members who have contributed to the saving of the club, the new stand development and the transfer into Fan Ownership, should they stop pledging for whatever reason.

I have another question which is probably more related to his role on the club board, and whether he would use his position, of representing the FOH membership, to influence how the club would respond to a potential situation of an FFP compliant Hearts just missing out on European qualification, while a non FFP compliant club could be given special dispensation from the SFA. The purpose of the FFP rules is to stop clubs spending money they don't have to achieve sporting advantage.  One club has clearly failed to comply over the last three years, but given the previous record of the football authorities I do not trust them to do the right thing..  

scott herbertson

You have recently moved over to a newsletter format from a blog. This seems a rather retrograde step ( I thought there was nothing wrong with the blog)  in an era where social media is increasingly sophisticated. Can you outline future plans for FOH to communicate with members?

On a related topic communication about the AGM, especially advance notice of the agenda and any background papers, was very scanty> I appreciate that everyone at the club and FOH are very busy but can we have some reassurance that in future members will have more information,in advance of  AGMs  and sufficient time to read them prior to any meeting. This is especially important for those who are unable to attend the meetings.

We will have a bigger stadium to fill in future (thanks to Ann Budge, her colleagues,  FOH and its members). While this is very welcome can you outiline what plans FOH has to support the club in drawiong more fans into Tynecastle and more members into FOH?

You have recently moved over to a newsletter format from a blog. This seems a rather retrograde step ( I thought there was nothing wrong with the blog)  in an era where social media is increasingly sophisticated. Can you outline future plans for FOH to communicate with members?

On a related topic communication about the AGM, especially advance notice of the agenda and any background papers, was very scanty> I appreciate that everyone at the club and FOH are very busy but can we have some reassurance that in future members will have more information,in advance of  AGMs  and sufficient time to read them prior to any meeting. This is especially important for those who are unable to attend the meetings.

We will have a bigger stadium to fill in future (thanks to Ann Budge, her colleagues,  FOH and its members). While this is very welcome can you outiline what plans FOH has to support the club in drawiong more fans into Tynecastle and more members into FOH?

Great questions.  Can you ask him those twice, once for me as well.

Dagger Is Back

Apologies if this info is available elsewhere.

What is the age breakdown of our FOH subscribers? How has that changed, if at all, since launch?

How are we using that information to maintain and increase our pledgers and level of pledge

I would go along with FF's question regarding future use of FoH funds after the stadium is paid for and Ann is repaid.

Personally, I'd not want to see FoH contributions being treated as an additional revenue stream, but would prefer to see us build up additional capital reserves to put towards further improvements to the stadium, or invest in the Academy.

Another possibility is that we could use FoH funding to pay one-off transfer fees, to attract players contracted to other clubs, whose wages we could afford to pay from an operational point of view, but otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to pay the sort of transfer fee that would be required to get them.

The Treasurer

What are the plans to maintain (and hopefully, increase) monthly pledges once the initial goals of the FoH are achieved.

Most see this as a lifetime commitment, but I have a feeling there will be some pledgers that think that the job is done once ownership is transferred and may decide to cancel.

Can we setup secondary pledges to keep Tziolis?

Please can we keep him?  I will take him for a walk every night.

Puleeeeeze

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Same / similar to some already posed above but:

1.  What are the objectives and key actions in FOH increasing it's net overall contributors and contributions?

2.  Do you see other ways the FOH can support the club in it's financial and sporting outlook?

3.  What model do you envisage the FOH having after the initial phases of paying back Ann Budge and funding the new stand?  What do you (broadly, but specifics welcome!) envisage the process and timescales to be to get to this agreed model?

4.  I am an ardent and enthusiastic member of FOH from day 1.  I am proud of it's (i.e our) ethos and achievements, and aware of the countless hours of voluntary work of the FOH members, so would find it hard in my heart of hearts to hold them to normal corporate standards at all times.  However, I am surprised to find myself increasingly dis-satisfied with the governance - two specific examples being the publication of the amended funding agreement 36 hours before the AGM (and 6 months after it was mooted) and his own recent statement about the FOH post 2019/2020 policy about to be published despite there being no consultation with members as far as I am aware.  How does he believe governance and engagement with FOH members can be improved and increased?

5.  What does he believe the biggest risk(s) to the FOH objectives are, and what does he believe the steps are to mitigate those?

6.  What would he like to see achieved by the end of his period of chairman when the time comes?

7.  On a wider note, what does he see as the major challenges facing Scottish football and does he have any ideas as to how personally he would like to see them tackled?

Lastly, not a question, but I'd like to wish Stuart and the FOH board members the very best of luck.  It's clear from his statements that he is aware of what a privilege he has, and so I'll also add my thanks to him for throwing his hat into the ring - I'm sure his body and soul will follow.

Can we setup secondary pledges to keep Tziolis?

Please can we keep him? I will take it dry from him up the 9 darter every night.

Puleeeeeze

There you are now. :)

scott herbertson

Same / similar to some already posed above but:

1.  What are the objectives and key actions in FOH increasing it's net overall contributors and contributions?

2.  Do you see other ways the FOH can support the club in it's financial and sporting outlook?

3.  What model do you envisage the FOH having after the initial phases of paying back Ann Budge and funding the new stand?  What do you (broadly, but specifics welcome!) envisage the process and timescales to be to get to this agreed model?

4.  I am an ardent and enthusiastic member of FOH from day 1.  I am proud of it's (i.e our) ethos and achievements, and aware of the countless hours of voluntary work of the FOH members, so would find it hard in my heart of hearts to hold them to normal corporate standards at all times.  However, I am surprised to find myself increasingly dis-satisfied with the governance - two specific examples being the publication of the amended funding agreement 36 hours before the AGM (and 6 months after it was mooted) and his own recent statement about the FOH post 2019/2020 policy about to be published despite there being no consultation with members as far as I am aware.  How does he believe governance and engagement with FOH members can be improved and increased?

5.  What does he believe the biggest risk(s) to the FOH objectives are, and what does he believe the steps are to mitigate those?

6.  What would he like to see achieved by the end of his period of chairman when the time comes?

7.  On a wider note, what does he see as the major challenges facing Scottish football and does he have any ideas as to how personally he would like to see them tackled?

Lastly, not a question, but I'd like to wish Stuart and the FOH board members the very best of luck.  It's clear from his statements that he is aware of what a privilege he has, and so I'll also add my thanks to him for throwing his hat into the ring - I'm sure his body and soul will follow.

Great post, and nicely phrased

fabienleclerq

Once the FoH money has been used to build the infrastructure at the club i would rather it was banked to build up a surplus of say ?10m and from then only the interest used so the club always has a reserve. Do you think this is feasible or would it just merge into the football budget?

If and when Ann Budge leaves, Do we as fans have a say in who our new chairperson will be or is it a directors decision, also do we have anyone ready to step into Ann's position on the SPFL board

I don't want this question to be viewed as having a go at any of the current (or previous) FoH Board!

It's been apparent since the most recent elections/appointments to the FoH Board that there is a lack of willing individuals to take positions on the Board. Is there any plans to address this, provide training or even an insight into what qualifications, experience or qualities are desired for future Board members?

Edit:

Second question. Is there any plans to allow FoH members to participate in Q&A sessions. I understand that the AGM is the normal method for this but for those who were not able to attend and who do not use JKB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

It would be good if the transcript of the AGM was made available before the deadline for Q&A questions. This might save time if some of the questions have already been answered at the AGM, and allow supplementary questions if the answers don't fully satisfy the questioners.

My AGM question (referred to earlier by FF) about the future membership status of those who have contributed to the achievement of the primary aims of FoH (stabilisation, fan ownership, new stand) was part of a more general question about the plans for and timing of the promised consultation on governance arrangements once majority ownership is achieved.

On the blog/newsletter would it be possible to have a bit more meat, whatever the format? For example a candidate in the one contested Director election proposed publishing the Board minutes (with any sensitive material removed). This (or even just a brief summary) would give members a better feel for what FoH actually do, what issues they might want input on, and maybe encourage more active participation in future elections.

Stuart's participation in the Q&A is very much welcome, but could this not become a more regular event, say six monthly, with the Q&A duty being rotated among the Directors, giving us a better feel for the contribution and roles of the individual Directors?

Francis Albert

I noticed today that there is a footnote to the one page summary (included at the end of the published amended agreement) of the FoH related aspects of the changes to the original agreement (not actually part of the agreement itself). This explains that the original intention of transferring shares had been changed to granting of voting rights because of "unforeseen tax implications of transferring shares". The obvious supplementary question - does this have any implications for the ultimate transfer of shares from Bidco to FoH?

I passed the pitch threshold five months ago. When am I likely to get an invite to the ceremony and will it be before I reach the 1956 level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

I passed the pitch threshold five months ago. When am I likely to get an invite to the ceremony and will it be before I reach the 1956 level?

I've pledged only the minimum ?10 per month right from the start. 3 young kids so every pound is a prisoner. So 3 or 4 years I guess?

I actually don't really care about any rewards or incentives but I get why it will be important to a number of people. But knitting a bit ripped in that I have no idea whether this applies to me or not, no emails or anything else to tell me.

Why do people blow their own trumpet?

:whistling:

Only an imbecile would have read my post and thought it was serious. If the cap fits....

Only an imbecile would have read my post and thought it was serious. If the cap fits....

Doesn't fit at all actually.

Doesn't fit at all actually.

On the contrary, think you'll find it fits perfectly. Just like Judy Garland's sparkly red shoes.

Not necessarily.

Walter Payton

At the AGM, Garry took responsibility for the failings of the FoH to have more people along for the pitch ceremony and said there were administration improvements (without detail) in the offing that would see more people being invited this year- this is all good news. 

Have the board considered holding pitch ceremonies on weekday evenings (instead of only the current Sunday slot that can be affected by games etc.) on nights when the Gorgie Suite is free if this might allow more ceremonies to be held more frequently?

Is that the official reply Dave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Just my own personal experience. :)

Stuart Wallace, who was appointed as FoH chairman at the AGM on Thursday, has agreed to do a Q&A session for JKB later this month. If you have any questions that you would like answered by Stuart then please post them here. This thread will run until 15/2.

Thanks

Dave

Any more?

I reached the 1956 level in December, but still don't even have my piece of the pitch, so don't hold your breath!

Being serious, I appreciate there is a bit of a back log as large numbers of contributors hit these thresholds at similar times, but it would be nice to get an occasional update as to where I am in the queue for the plot ceremony, and a rough indication of when I might expect my invite.

Footballfirst

I've just listened to the Audio of the FOH AGM.

I was disappointed that the answers given to some of the questions did not fully address the detail of the questions actually posed.

I'm still looking for answers my questions about the differences in the final agreement from that voted upon.  Specifically, why the change from actual shares to only voting rights being transferred and why this change was not communicated to members before now.  The answer given was that the agreement had changed in some respects but Garry focussed on why the Board didn't feel it was necessary to hold a second vote.  I certainly didn't want or ask about a second vote, so my original question should go to Stuart.

Similarly specific questions on governance were answered in general terms in that new proposals would be published soon.  That sounds just like a politician kicking a thorny subject down the road a bit. Garry must have taken some lessons from Ian Murray :whistling:

On the other hand Garry did give a fairly comprehensive answer as to why FOH agreed to pay a proportion of the Club's legal fees (?9k-?10K), although didn't explain where the money was coming from and if it would impact on the sums going to the stand fund.

Thanks

Dave

:whistling:

Nothing to add for me Dave. I pay my dues, delighted to do so, and I'm more than happy with what I'm seeing develop in front of me. Tell Stuart he can spend my monthly contributions on hookers and class As if he wants. I genuinely don't care.

I like what I see at Hearts right now. When I no longer like what I see, I'll then start asking questions :-)

Nothing to add for me Dave. I pay my dues, delighted to do so, and I'm more than happy with what I'm seeing develop in front of me. Tell Stuart he can spend my monthly contributions on hookers and class As if he wants. I genuinely don't care.

I like what I see at Hearts right now. When I no longer like what I see, I'll then start asking questions :-)

Like. Why did you spend my contributions on hookers and class A's?

Archived