U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

I just read a poll that says that 79% of Republicans think Trump did a good job in Helsinki.

• Replies 32.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Auld Reekin'
51 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

True,

But doing nothing caused a worsening

And if a country is to be run by a totalitarian dictator then its better we spoke to them.

That is better than when we remove such people and end with a power vacuum.

At least Putin keeps his boot on the throat of the Caucasus and Islamism in a way other leaders cannot.

Benign dictatorship is a not unreasonable system for some countries

Hmmm... The Caucasus does not equal Islamism, if that's what you were trying to say.

The main thing Putin has his boot on the throat of in the Caucasus region is Georgia, a predominantly Christian country that is absolutely no threat whatsoever to Russia itself but dared defy the former USSR by declaring independence from it. That's not to say that Georgia is, or has been, squeaky-clean in their dealings with some of their neighbours (Abkhazia and South Ossetia*, for example), but the main problem Putin has with it is Georgia's willingness to have NATO bases on their soil.

(*Russian forces under Putin "nobly and heroically" intervened in Georgia's dispute with the latter some years ago, ostensibly to protect the South Ossetian frontiers and citizens but annexing large swathes of Georgian territory in the process, however this was much more to do with trying to dominate and subdue Georgia than any genuine concern for South Ossetia or its people.)

Elsewhere in the Caucasus, Chechnya is certainly now much more peaceful and stable than it was due to the Russian-installed-and-backed presidency of Kadirov (although it still has a very healthy export market for international terrorists, and worldwide terrorism and criminality) but Dagestan is anything but; there's little evidence of Putin's "boot on throat" there, for the time being anyway...

Rocco_Jambo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:lol:

I guess you didn't, but if it's not what you're getting at then you're not making yourself particularly clear.

It doesn't really matter who I'm talking about to be honest. Anyone with an ounce of political nous would be well within their rights to be concerned about recent developments. You can take from that what you will.

I think I’ve made myself quite clear since you’ve gradually shifted your position from America having been keeping Putin “in check” to now suddenly being given a “free hand” by Trump and all of sudden people starting “shitting themselves” post Helsinki as relations suddenly improve.

doctor jambo
11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm not entirely sure we can call Putin's dictatorship 'benign'. :lol:

Your point about power vacuums and the Caucases is spot on, however morally and idealistically repugnant.

It's all fun and games until it's your throat he needs to keep his boot on.

Compared to what the poor Russians have been used to over the past few centuries, its benign.

Morals and idealism are dependent on what you are used to - we view everything from our own perspective.

many Russians agree with Putin, much as many in the US agree with Trump (and for that matter many in the Middle east agree with their fundamentalist crackpots)

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

True,

But doing nothing caused a worsening

And if a country is to be run by a totalitarian dictator then its better we spoke to them.

That is better than when we remove such people and end with a power vacuum.

At least Putin keeps his boot on the throat of the Caucasus and Islamism in a way other leaders cannot.

Benign dictatorship is a not unreasonable system for some countries

At the Farnborough Air Show this week the UK government and its arms manufacturers were queuing up to sell arms to regimes far more abhorrent than Putin's Russia.

We seem to have a very selective idea of what dictatorships are not only acceptable but to be positively supported and those that are not.

Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

I think I’ve made myself quite clear since you’ve gradually shifted your position from America having been keeping Putin “in check” to now suddenly being given a “free hand” by Trump and all of sudden people starting “shitting themselves” post Helsinki as relations suddenly improve.

I never mentioned Helsinki, mate, and you're grossly simplifying the argument to suit your viewpoint. Whatever that may be.

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Compared to what the poor Russians have been used to over the past few centuries, its benign.

Morals and idealism are dependent on what you are used to - we view everything from our own perspective.

many Russians agree with Putin, much as many in the US agree with Trump (and for that matter many in the Middle east agree with their fundamentalist crackpots)

Accepting a dictatorial regieme as it is benign compared to what they've had before is like accepting being the least smelly shite in the toilet. You're still a shite and you're still in the toilet.

Of course morals and ideals are culturally relative, but where do you draw the line (assuming you would like to live in a civilised, stable, and prosperous world).

Of course many Russians support Putin, but not as many as the polls will tell you ;)

Trump, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

doctor jambo
29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

At the Farnborough Air Show this week the UK government and its arms manufacturers were queuing up to sell arms to regimes far more abhorrent than Putin's Russia.

We seem to have a very selective idea of what dictatorships are not only acceptable but to be positively supported and those that are not.

Indeed.

At least Putin lets women drive, vote and go to school,

Hell, he even uses them as assassins ( I mean diplomats)Merkel condemns Putin, then builds a pipeline to take his gas ( ooer)

Cash > Morality

Rocco_Jambo
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I never mentioned Helsinki, mate, and you're grossly simplifying the argument to suit your viewpoint. Whatever that may be.

Yes you have. You might never have used the word Helsinki but that's exactly what you were talking about with your puerile talk  about him not standing up to him and gargling his balls.

I don't think I could simplify the argument any more than your whatever Trump does is bad agenda, mate.

Edited by Rocco_Jambo

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Accepting a dictatorial regieme as it is benign compared to what they've had before is like accepting being the least smelly shite in the toilet. You're still a shite and you're still in the toilet.

Of course morals and ideals are culturally relative, but where do you draw the line (assuming you would like to live in a civilised, stable, and prosperous world).

Of course many Russians support Putin, but not as many as the polls will tell you ;)

Trump, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I do want to live in a civilised, stable and prosperous world- I'm not sure that democracy can deliver that- we seem to have massive wealth inequality, poor social mobility and spiralling mental health issues.

I'm yet to see any evidence that our liberalism that has "freed"  women from unhappy marriages, "freed" people from staying home to look after children/relatives, and "freed" everyone to be whatever they want has actually translated into a happier population.

It seems ( though this is a generalisation) that all it has done is produced loads of really lonely people, isolated pensioners and messed up children, all of whom are now on psycho-pharma

All this freedom has led to a disintegration of cohesion.

It strikes me that the west is making an utter mess of a lot of things

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

I'm not so sure Trump bends the knee to anybody. Ever.

you've obviously not seen the watersports video then

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Yes you have. You might never have used the word Helsinki but that's exactly what you were talking about with your puerile talk  about him not standing up to him and gargling his balls.

I don't think I could simplify the argument any more than your whatever Trump does is bad agenda, mate.

Do you think the Trump/Putin love-in started at Helsinki?

Like I said, I never mentioned Helsinki.

You've absolutely no idea what my agenda is. I don't know what your point is, but that much is abundantly clear.

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I do want to live in a civilised, stable and prosperous world- I'm not sure that democracy can deliver that- we seem to have massive wealth inequality, poor social mobility and spiralling mental health issues.

I'm yet to see any evidence that our liberalism that has "freed"  women from unhappy marriages, "freed" people from staying home to look after children/relatives, and "freed" everyone to be whatever they want has actually translated into a happier population.

It seems ( though this is a generalisation) that all it has done is produced loads of really lonely people, isolated pensioners and messed up children, all of whom are now on psycho-pharma

Dunno. I'm reasonably free and I've had a smashing life thus far.

You're mixing with the wrong crowd, Doc.

More of the same, please.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I just read a poll that says that 79% of Republicans think Trump did a good job in Helsinki.

Fake news. 

Rocco_Jambo
5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Do you think the Trump/Putin love-in started at Helsinki?

Like I said, I never mentioned Helsinki.

You've absolutely no idea what my agenda is. I don't know what your point is, but that much is abundantly clear.

It's abundantly apparent. Suggesting that pre-Trump (presumably  post-Trump is now the point your are now using for people/Eastern Europeans/Russians starting to "shit themselves" rather than their recent meeting) America was keeping Putin in check.

Ignoring of course the allegations surrounding Ukraine, the Malaysian Airliner (which you helpfully pointed out to your self), influencing the American elections, the EU referendum, Syria etc. etc. you are now saying that Trump has given him a free hand (because of course  according to you pre Trump he was being kept in check) and now people are shitting themselves.

Presumably anything that Putin does now will, according to you, also be the fault of Trump and his actions  for being the one who gave him a free hand even though Putin does what he wants, when he wants, as we have seen pre-Trump.

Remember if you do reply don't forget your emoji's.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Dunno. I'm reasonably free and I've had a smashing life thus far.

You're mixing with the wrong crowd, Doc.

More of the same, please.

From my own perspective its great..........

however, our liberal society seems to be monstrously failing those not affluent enough to enjoy such things are "consciously uncoupling" , "co-parenting" and the likes

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Crazy, eh?

I also read that an even higher percentage believe the Justice Dept investigation into Russian meddling in the election is just a distraction.

Caller to C-SPAN phone-in said maybe we should be thankful to the Russians for helping beat Hilary. 

Scaramucci called these folks "low information emotional voters" and Trump seems to be able to do no wrong in their eyes. Pretty scary to wonder what the breaking point would be for them. For me, that's more frightening than anything Trump is capable of - a vast chunk of the population behaving like cult members, their resentment and grievances growing like wildfire. 

Bindy Badgy
2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Crazy, eh?

I also read that an even higher percentage believe the Justice Dept investigation into Russian meddling in the election is just a distraction.

Caller to C-SPAN phone-in said maybe we should be thankful to the Russians for helping beat Hilary. 

Scaramucci called these folks "low information emotional voters" and Trump seems to be able to do no wrong in their eyes. Pretty scary to wonder what the breaking point would be for them. For me, that's more frightening than anything Trump is capable of - a vast chunk of the population behaving like cult members, their resentment and grievances growing like wildfire. 

It doesn't help when you have the likes of Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity constantly talking Trump up and banging on about how the Mueller investigation is a 'perjury trap'.

Quite how they can say this crap with a straight face is beyond me. I don't believe for one second that they're stupid enough to believe the crap that they come out with.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

It's abundantly apparent. Suggesting that pre-Trump (presumably  post-Trump is now the point your are now using for people/Eastern Europeans/Russians starting to "shit themselves" rather than their recent meeting) America was keeping Putin in check.

Ignoring of course the allegations surrounding Ukraine, the Malaysian Airliner (which you helpfully pointed out to your self), influencing the American elections, the EU referendum, Syria etc. etc. you are now saying that Trump has given him a free hand (because of course  according to you pre Trump he was being kept in check) and now people are shitting themselves.

Presumably anything that Putin does now will, according to you, also be the fault of Trump and his actions  for being the one who gave him a free hand even though Putin does what he wants, when he wants, as we have seen pre-Trump.

Remember if you do reply don't forget your emoji's.

Keep your knickers on, love.

I have at no point said the Trump created Putin - you've just decided to read it that way and go looking for a fight.

Here's an emoji for you.

:muggy:

Rocco_Jambo
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Keep your knickers on, love.

I have at no point said the Trump created Putin - you've just decided to read it that way and go looking for a fight.

Here's an emoji for you.

:muggy:

I never said you did.

You did say he was being kept in check by America and Trump then gave him a free hand.

First posting emoji's, then accusing someone of a fight rather than actually addressing what has been said usually means please stop pointing out the contradictions I've made I've had enough.

I will leave you be.

Still can't help laugh at the idea of Russians shitting themselves at improving relations with the west though. That was a cracker.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
6 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

It doesn't help when you have the likes of Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity constantly talking Trump up and banging on about how the Mueller investigation is a 'perjury trap'.

Quite how they can say this crap with a straight face is beyond me. I don't believe for one second that they're stupid enough to believe the crap that they come out with.

Totally. I don't think they're stupid. I can't fully put my finger on what they are though. 

This is just my own opinion, and some would call it biased and arrogant, but hey ho. I think as the political spectrum has shifted to the right, traditional right wing parties have been left with fewer places to go to distinguish themselves. To gain and hold power, many of them have been left needing to whip up emotionally-led, not-very-imformed supporters. I don't think that's a new observation. But this requires a fair bit of ethical gymnastics, and fewer conservative figures are willing to do it, especially young, bright, intellectual ones. That's why we're seeing prominent right wing leaders everywhere who are, imo, deeply flawed individuals on an emotional level. In the US - Trump, Bolton, Gingrich, Pence, Sanders, Hannity, Carlson. And here - Johnson, May, Gove, Hunt. And even further right than them - Bannon, Farage, and Milo. 

It's a shitty situation. God knows how we wriggle our way out of it. 

So, latest breaking news , tapes of conversation between candidate Donald  and his personal lawyer Cohen discussing a payment of $150,000 to a former Playboy  regarding the models nine month affair with Trump. Trum advises the payment being made by check as it is recorded and not by cash.  No crime commited but Trump has consistently said there was no such affair, difficult to believe a future President would tell a lie.

Rudy Giuliani steps in and says nothing here, nothin exculpatory, basically it was a conversation. Another lawyer makes the comment that by doing this Rudy has succesfully as part of Trumps team put it in the public domain and cancelled any possibility of it being a matter of lawyer client privilege.

It has also been suggested that if there was an agreement to pay during the campaigtn and there was any suggestion it was done to have any affect of the campaign it may have been a breach of campaign finance rules which opens a whole other door.

So, latest breaking news , tapes of conversation between candidate Donald  and his personal lawyer Cohen discussing a payment of $150,000 to a former Playboy  regarding the models nine month affair with Trump. Trum advises the payment being made by check as it is recorded and not by cash.  No crime commited but Trump has consistently said there was no such affair, difficult to believe a future President would tell a lie.

Rudy Giuliani steps in and says nothing here, nothin exculpatory, basically it was a conversation. Another lawyer makes the comment that by doing this Rudy has succesfully as part of Trumps team put it in the public domain and cancelled any possibility of it being a matter of lawyer client privilege.

It has also been suggested that if there was an agreement to pay during the campaigtn and there was any suggestion it was done to have any affect of the campaign it may have been a breach of campaign finance rules which opens a whole other door.

Bindy Badgy
17 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Totally. I don't think they're stupid. I can't fully put my finger on what they are though. 

They're greedy.

They get a nice seven figure salary for pushing this crap. They've probably done very nicely out of Trump's tax plan as well.

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

I never said you did.

You did say he was being kept in check by America and Trump then gave him a free hand.

First posting emoji's, then accusing someone of a fight rather than actually addressing what has been said usually means please stop pointing out the contradictions I've made I've had enough.

I will leave you be.

Still can't help laugh at the idea of Russians shitting themselves at improving relations with the west though. That was a cracker.

Aye, fair enough, although I'm not seeing the contradictions. Maybe I'm just too subtle; or maybe you find my lack of any defined agenda confusing. You wouldn't be the first.

On your last point, If you think that relations are improving between Russia and the west then fair enough. I don't. I think it's a ruse. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Good.  ****ing.  Grief.

Cop yourself on, FFS.  :facepalm:

And for all the other whatabouters and chancers posting here, there is a simple point about Trump that you are all choosing to ignore.

We have the luxury of liking or disliking the policies (foreign or domestic) of the United States of America.  We have the luxury of comparing the good and bad of the USA with the good and bad of other places as we see fit.  We might prefer the USA's way of doing things to its enemies, or we might not, and that's entirely our choice.

No President of the United States of America has or should have that luxury.  The first and foremost duty of the President is to defend and protect the United States of America from its enemies.  If a President fails to do that - and in the judgement of many reasonable people Trump is failing to do that - then that President is no more and no less than a traitor.  Even the enemies of a country expect its leaders to do their best for that country; Trump doesn't do that - he is actively undermining his country and his people.

Dump had a secret 2 hour meeting with only an interpreter for company with Putin in Helsinki that he has disclosed nothing about. No collusion though. 

Dagger Is Back

It disgusts me that people like Trump can 'enjoy' the life they have. As each day passes I'm convinced that he'll be done away with.

4 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

It disgusts me that people like Trump can 'enjoy' the life they have. As each day passes I'm convinced that he'll be done away with.

The last president who had conflict with the CIA was done away with.

4 hours ago, jake said:

The last president who had conflict with the CIA was done away with.

That's not true. 

50 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

So Dump maybe leaked the Cohen tape as it makes him look better. 

The action achieved its purpose, nobody talking about Russia, or Helsinki, his base don't care who he had an affair with, so job done, for the moment, but Donnie that funny noise you hear its tick tock, the clocks running down, deflection works but only for a short time.

Pressing ahead with throwing tens of millions at a Soviet style military parade "to honor our veterans", at the same time as making deep cuts to their benefits and pensions.

:vrface: 

13 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The action achieved its purpose, nobody talking about Russia, or Helsinki, his base don't care who he had an affair with, so job done, for the moment, but Donnie that funny noise you hear its tick tock, the clocks running down, deflection works but only for a short time.

also one of the reasons imo why he has aimed at the nfl again and said that if a player kneels during the anthem the first time they get banned a game, a second time they get banned for the season without pay

53 minutes ago, Cade said:

Pressing ahead with throwing tens of millions at a Soviet style military parade "to honor our veterans", at the same time as making deep cuts to their benefits and pensions.

:vrface: 

The estimated cost earlier in the week was 12 million dollars. One of the costs was equipping some personnel with military uniforms used throughout the history of the U.S. military. At least heavy vehicles will not be used to save heavy damage to roadworks.  Its sad that I am so obsessed with it but I just cannot get over this man's constant praise and threats to use his military, and when given the opportunity to serve it in conflict saw fit to be medically unable to serve, with a ridiculously minor problem that could have been corrected if need be, especially for a millionaires son.

With regard to the recorded phone calls, Avenatti who suggested this type of thing a couple of months ago suggested last night that the ones yesterday are just the tip of the iceberg, he commented that he had never seen anyone with so many phones, and that he has information that there are multiple files. You can say what you like about Avenatti but so far he has come through with a lot of what he has claimed. Like so many things the old saying it takes one to no one seems pretty sound here.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

The estimated cost earlier in the week was 12 million dollars. One of the costs was equipping some personnel with military uniforms used throughout the history of the U.S. military. At least heavy vehicles will not be used to save heavy damage to roadworks.  Its sad that I am so obsessed with it but I just cannot get over this man's constant praise and threats to use his military, and when given the opportunity to serve it in conflict saw fit to be medically unable to serve, with a ridiculously minor problem that could have been corrected if need be, especially for a millionaires son.

With regard to the recorded phone calls, Avenatti who suggested this type of thing a couple of months ago suggested last night that the ones yesterday are just the tip of the iceberg, he commented that he had never seen anyone with so many phones, and that he has information that there are multiple files. You can say what you like about Avenatti but so far he has come through with a lot of what he has claimed. Like so many things the old saying it takes one to no one seems pretty sound here.

The second part of the comments made was that sum of money compared with the amount the great warrior estimated for the exercises with South Korea which he said was too much and they could not afford .He is a mastermind old Kim and the North Koreans must be s.......g bricks at the thought of being attacked some time in the future by guys in Civil War and Revolutionary war uniforms, with full loaded one shot muskets.

32 minutes ago, Barack said:

Like I've said before...I'm not totally convinced alfa's being 100% serious with his postings...

There's no doubt in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cannae remember. :D

I remember it was something to do with the last President that done something with the CIA was removed, I supect JFK. Despite a rocky start I have come to quite like Jake, so I am sure although I also think he may be mistaken I am sure he has read something that has given him a valid reason. He usually has one.

4 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I remember it was something to do with the last President that done something with the CIA was removed, I supect JFK. Despite a rocky start I have come to quite like Jake, so I am sure although I also think he may be mistaken I am sure he has read something that has given him a valid reason. He usually has one.

Thanks Bob.

Because a rocky start is a kind way of saying I was a dick.

Which I was towards you .

Fwiw your a sound guy .

Yes it was in relation to JFK and his war of words with the CIA.

Although I am not saying they killed him it was just a wee remark to the poster who said Trump would get done.

Although imo the CIA are as bad and if not worse than any intelligence agency since the days of Stalin.

And have been behind some of the worst regimes and terror groups in recent history.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Aye that's right. Many a president has fallen foul of the CIA. 

1 hour ago, jake said:

Thanks Bob.

Because a rocky start is a kind way of saying I was a dick.

Which I was towards you .

Fwiw your a sound guy .

Yes it was in relation to JFK and his war of words with the CIA.

Although I am not saying they killed him it was just a wee remark to the poster who said Trump would get done.

Although imo the CIA are as bad and if not worse than any intelligence agency since the days of Stalin.

And have been behind some of the worst regimes and terror groups in recent history.

Greed has poisoned man's soul. 

57 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Greed has poisoned man's soul. 

So true, you would think with the advances in travel, communications, humane societies, civil rights,  we having the ability to get to know and understand each other and particularly our differences, things would be better, but I guess that is not the way the human race live, there is always an insoluble problem.

16 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

So true, you would think with the advances in travel, communications, humane societies, civil rights,  we having the ability to get to know and understand each other and particularly our differences, things would be better, but I guess that is not the way the human race live, there is always an insoluble problem.

I could go all deep on this .

Maybe not the thread for it though.

Your getting on in years bob sorry I'm no being wide.

But these questions at your age must make you think from a kind of spiritual perspective .

I don't think you are religious but recent events in my life have made me look at the things you have raised in your post.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)