Warhammer

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Anyone else spend some of thier time painting wee daft models?

Recently painted an ogre army, now on to some iron jawz. Only ever played one game with my mate from Aberdeen.

Struggling to paint armour ATM.

Anyone else into it, and in particular AoS?

Not quite sure of the best set up?

Any other folk got a hidden army?

Space marines ...... been doing it 28 years now. Don't play, just paint . Blood angel terminators the moment . Play space hulk with the kids . Would never hang out in the store

Салатные палочки

I was in a pub in Kilmarnock recently and there was two guys sat at a table up the back playing it.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

Space marines ...... been doing it 28 years now. Don't play, just paint . Blood angel terminators the moment . Play space hulk with the kids . Would never hang out in the store

Nice, I used to paint airfix, my late twenties and early thirties disappeared into war craft, so stopped painting. Started again last year, got about 20 pieces including 2 giants and bd a thundertusk.

You set yours up with scenery?

some big pieces for 40k as well. Bit uniform, aos stuff is a bit more.. flamboyant?

I've read some of the 40k books.

You layer or shade for armour or both ?

Edited by Tosh'sleftfoot

Bazzas right boot

I was in a pub in Kilmarnock recently and there was two guys sat at a table up the back playing it.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Fair effort.

Sad thing is, it's not the Kilmarnock part that sad about that story!

Say What Again

20 years ago when I stayed with my folks, the son of the family upstairs was well into it. He must have had hundreds if not a thousand figures. Space Marines, Orcs, Imperial Guard (?), Elfs etc. He taught me the basics and when his folks were away for the weekend he'd clear the entire living room and set up a ****ing HUGE game that would last all weekend.

I was never massively into it but used to enjoy the odd weekend war. Even though he used to make shit up if I was holding my own :lol:

There's a weekly gaming club where they play it on at the RAF Officers Club on London Road I think it is. Bloke I know goes regularly. Cheap beer as well apparently.

Edited by Normthebarman

Not into the games or the figures but i like the creativity and artistry that I've seen in some of the painting.

Post some photos please. Wouldn't mind seeing your work.

Never played it in my life. Hang out at the RAF club occasionally as many of my friends go along regular.

Beer is average priced... certainly not club prices.

Its called EGL. Edinburgh Gaming League, Wednesday nights. Place is usually packed with all different variations. Occasionally i play other simpler boardgames there. Dont have time or the will to learn warhammer rules.

Just painted a tank for someone. First ever... was fun. Ill attach if i can.

Bazzas right boot

Maybe this works...

Nice.

Cheers for info, I joined that fb page, seems to be a mix of games as you say, good thing you can get a pint as well.

Not 100% on the rules myself tbh.

Spent thousands on it during my teens and twenties.

Had every army going.

Looking to sell it all off these days.

Got a bursd.

Need the room.

The books are really good as well- big fan of the "Black Library"

Also amazing that its all still made over here- quite willing to pay that bit more ( for plastic soldiers its excruciating!)

But I got into it when I had painted all the Tamiya soldiers ( they did kits where you glued on the helmets and guns etc) then stumbled on a Citadel catalogue .

My oldest makes and paints Tyranids, with a few Eldar and some Chaos Marines

And Tosh- I use washes to give the shade and some layering

The washes are better, frankly.

Bazzas right boot

The books are really good as well- big fan of the "Black Library"

Also amazing that its all still made over here- quite willing to pay that bit more ( for plastic soldiers its excruciating!)

But I got into it when I had painted all the Tamiya soldiers ( they did kits where you glued on the helmets and guns etc) then stumbled on a Citadel catalogue .

My oldest makes and paints Tyranids, with a few Eldar and some Chaos Marines

And Tosh- I use washes to give the shade and some layering

The washes are better, frankly.

Confused now, washes' I'll Google it.

Layered my ogres, allot of flesh.

Metal is quite easy, I'll check wash's for the armour.

Cheers.

Bazzas right boot

Spent thousands on it during my teens and twenties.

Had every army going.

Looking to sell it all off these days.

Got a bursd.

Need the room.

You'd probably punt it on eBay no bother, painted piece's are expensive, put a decent price on the army's you get your space back no bother.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Had huge Airfix Napoleonic Army fully painted 1/72

Also had WW2 stuff vehs and figures painted but not to same standard

Wonderland Lothian rd and Rose street loved me ..

Did buy a 1/35 model tank about 10yrs in an effort to get a hobby.. 15mins and I decided my fingers were now too fumberly for such things and my patience way way way to short.

so just play World of Tanks instead.

Edited by Mac_fae_Gillie

Confused now, washes' I'll Google it.

Layered my ogres, allot of flesh.

Metal is quite easy, I'll check wash's for the armour.

Cheers.

THe washes are really watery paints - its runs into all the grooves- it provides shadowing- if you use something like Agrax Earthshade on anything it makes it look really professional - esp on bolters and other gun metal colours

Orcs use a dark green wash on their skin and it gives really good effect without using 2-3 diff layers ( though use the wash then the layers and its even better!)

Not Warhammer, but I do paint plastic 54mm soldiers as a hobby. Once a year, during the winter months, keeps me out of the fridge looking for something to do.

Bazzas right boot

THe washes are really watery paints - its runs into all the grooves- it provides shadowing- if you use something like Agrax Earthshade on anything it makes it look really professional - esp on bolters and other gun metal colours

Orcs use a dark green wash on their skin and it gives really good effect without using 2-3 diff layers ( though use the wash then the layers and its even better!)

Ahh so it will take several coats, I guess base, layer then have a bit of freedom with the washes to get affect

Bazzas right boot

Had huge Airfix Napoleonic Army fully painted 1/72

Also had WW2 stuff vehs and figures painted but not to same standard

Wonderland Lothian rd and Rose street loved me ..

Did buy a 1/35 model tank about 10yrs in an effort to get a hobby.. 15mins and I decided my fingers were now too fumberly for such things and my patience way way way to short.

so just play World of Tanks instead.

I was getting one of the radio controlled cars, the ones that you assemble, around ?250 for Xmas. Mum had been saving with them direct for about 10 months, got a bad report card, mum cancelled the car, they wouldn't give her the money back, so I had about?200 to spend on models! Bought planes, tanks, scenery, the lot, think it was around ?2 a model for the 1/72 scale back then.

Busy year painting.

No car tho....

• 2 weeks later...
Bazzas right boot

Went for shading and layering, this wash business had me confused.

Is washing the same as shading?

The guides are about shading and layering and dry brushing.

• 5 years later...

Recently been looking at painting miniatures again. I collected 40k in my teens and its changed a fair bit. Lots of new armies. To be expected after 20 plus years I guess!

Tempted to do some painting as I'd imagine it's quite relaxing. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I used to do this when I was younger. Actually fairly mental to think about the money I spent on it as a kid, because it wasn’t a cheap hobby and I didn’t have much cash.

This was the 1990s and one thing I remember is that if you were playing 40k, you basically needed a box of space marines. If you were playing actual Warhammer, you needed to buy entire armies - which cost a bomb.

it was, though, incredibly satisfying getting one of the wee ****ers painted beautifully.

Also played Blood Bowl and this game where you had gangs in an industrial underworld, can’t remember what it was called 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Recently been looking at painting miniatures again. I collected 40k in my teens and its changed a fair bit. Lots of new armies. To be expected after 20 plus years I guess!

Tempted to do some painting as I'd imagine it's quite relaxing. 

Strikes me as being quite a mindful exercise, until the paint job goes wrong 

39 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Strikes me as being quite a mindful exercise, until the paint job goes wrong 

I know! This is what's putting me off! 

It sounds great if theory though....

43 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I used to do this when I was younger. Actually fairly mental to think about the money I spent on it as a kid, because it wasn’t a cheap hobby and I didn’t have much cash.

This was the 1990s and one thing I remember is that if you were playing 40k, you basically needed a box of space marines. If you were playing actual Warhammer, you needed to buy entire armies - which cost a bomb.

it was, though, incredibly satisfying getting one of the wee ****ers painted beautifully.

Also played Blood Bowl and this game where you had gangs in an industrial underworld, can’t remember what it was called 

Oh yeah, cost an absolute fortune. I stuck to just the one game thankfully! 

Blood Bowl has a PC game, not sure how good it is.

I think the game you can't remember was Necromunda? I think that's what it was called anyway. 

They all appear to be plastic now rather than lead. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, RedStarRiot said:

Oh yeah, cost an absolute fortune. I stuck to just the one game thankfully! 

Blood Bowl has a PC game, not sure how good it is.

I think the game you can't remember was Necromunda? I think that's what it was called anyway. 

They all appear to be plastic now rather than lead. 

Ah yeah Necromunda. Was basically twist on 40k but was still pretty good

During my years of being heavily invested into the hobby, I spent a £100 xmas gift on 20 shares in Games Workshop at around a fiver each.

Right now they're worth £74.90 each.

Dividend yield of 3.14% too. 

:munny:

16 minutes ago, Cade said:

During my years of being heavily invested into the hobby, I spent a £100 xmas gift on 20 shares in Games Workshop at around a fiver each.

Right now they're worth £74.90 each.

Dividend yield of 3.14% too. 

:munny:

Nice! What year was that? 

Wish I'd thought of doing it when everything was locked down. Would have been better than endless quizes. I found some old models I done a very long time ago when clearing out old stuff. Eldar striking scorpion. 

20221205_121718.jpg

7 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Nice! What year was that? 

Must have been around 2001-2002.

Share price had been about £3 for years and years, never moving much other than a few pennies.

Then they landed the rights for making wargames based on the Lord of The Rings films and the price leapt.

I got in at about a fiver.

First quarter after the films came out, the company brought in more money than they had predicted for the entire three year license.

Share price jumped to £8+.
But when the LoTR films ended, share price fell back to about a fiver and stayed that way for ages. The company at that time was very happy to just stay exactly as it was, a decent cash generator without being overly ambitious.

Then in 2014 the old CEO stepped down and a new boy came in with new ideas. Dude was like rocket fuel and introduced all kinds of efficiency and expansion ideas.
Share price took off like a rocket. Pandemic lockdown caused it to soar to over £119 per share as everybody sat and painted miniatures all day for about a year.
It's fallen a bit since then, but it's still a great price.

Don't play Warhammer but do play D&D. Sorely tempted to get some miniatures of my characters and paint them. Seems like it might be quite a chilled way to spend an evening. 

henrysmithsgloves
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Grow up. You might even get to touch a woman.

Or get to paint her nails 🤣 seriously though there are some cracking painting jobs on those figures 😎. I was more airfix etc.  when I was a kid😁

I dont collect the miniatures so obviously dont paint them. Wouldn't have the patience for it to be honest.

I do however enjoy playing it a couple of times a year when i am at my mates who does both the above. Its good fun. Really enjoy the lore of Sigmar.

Also a big fan of the Total War: Warhammer franchise. Probably my favourite games. Really cool seeing these factions and legendary lords/heroes come alive in these games. Always amazed there has never been a movie/series created. There is enough content there for it thats for sure. 

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Grow up. You might even get to touch a woman.

If it's good enough for Superman, it's good enough for me. 

Used to play as a kid also.

We would play AD&D Thursday nights at navel family building in Rosyth bur once every so often we would have big table top battles of Warhammer with multiple armies. 

Had a high elf army back in the day but sadly sold it for pennies.

My brother still has a empire army and a blood angels for 40k.

Always liked the lore behind the armies. 

19 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Used to play as a kid also.

We would play AD&D Thursday nights at navel family building in Rosyth bur once every so often we would have big table top battles of Warhammer with multiple armies. 

Had a high elf army back in the day but sadly sold it for pennies.

My brother still has a empire army and a blood angels for 40k.

Always liked the lore behind the armies. 

Yeah, the stories have a lot of depth. I've been tempted by the audible as they have lots of the Warhammer stuff. Would be handy for the gym.

On 05/12/2022 at 18:23, indianajones said:

I dont collect the miniatures so obviously dont paint them. Wouldn't have the patience for it to be honest.

I do however enjoy playing it a couple of times a year when i am at my mates who does both the above. Its good fun. Really enjoy the lore of Sigmar.

Also a big fan of the Total War: Warhammer franchise. Probably my favourite games. Really cool seeing these factions and legendary lords/heroes come alive in these games. Always amazed there has never been a movie/series created. There is enough content there for it thats for sure. 

Total War: Warhammer is a great series. I wish there was a 40k version. 

1 minute ago, RedStarRiot said:

Total War: Warhammer is a great series. I wish there was a 40k version. 

CA seem to have done really well with the warhammer games so I think 40k will likely get its own trilogy too in the future. 

Pretty sure they out perform the historic TW games which is impressive. 

5 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Played Space Crusade as a kid and then later Blood Bowl with my mates, but never went any further than that.

I found my old space crusade but it's missing a fair bit of stuff. Hero Quest was another good one. 

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

CA seem to have done really well with the warhammer games so I think 40k will likely get its own trilogy too in the future. 

Pretty sure they out perform the historic TW games which is impressive. 

Yeah I bet they do. 

I think outside of WH the Rome series was the best.

1 hour ago, RedStarRiot said:

Yeah I bet they do. 

I think outside of WH the Rome series was the best.

Rome was decent. Rome 2 was a bit meh. 

Love the magic in TWWH. A couple of decent spellcasting heroes can make a massive difference. Not sure which faction i like the most. Toss up between Skaven or the High Elves.