Gowser

Swanny17

Not a player I think fits Cathro mind set. He was horrific in central midfield and is not a wing back. For another style of football. I rate him but he doesn't fit

I thought some of his best performances were those of an attacking fullback. That Skacel goal he set up in a Derby c2011 for eg.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't think its important that we have at least some players who actually love the club ?

Dundee Utd were shite when he was there. I think that explains why he maybe didn't do so well there.

Certainly looked okay in the last world cup. Better than ALL the current options at full back.

It would be nice to have a team full of Jambos but I don't see it as an important attribute. If we play a back 3 we need wing backs Sowah is a wingback and so is Faycal. Oshiniwa looked alright at the last world cup.

A_A wehatethehibs

With the current state of our squad I'd take him till the end of the season, same deal as sowah and Hughes.

It would be nice to have a team full of Jambos but I don't see it as an important attribute. If we play a back 3 we need wing backs Sowah is a wingback and so is Faycal. Oshiniwa looked alright at the last world cup.

You dont think that possibly part of our problem is we have a squad who, with a couple of exceptions, dont really give to much of a shit about Hearts winning ?  

I think its important that you either have some PHM in the team, or you recruit players of a mindset that, no matter who they play for they give it the lot !! We have nowhere near enough of either type.

Borders Jambo

You dont think that possibly part of our problem is we have a squad who, with a couple of exceptions, dont really give to much of a shit about Hearts winning ?  

I think its important that you either have some PHM in the team, or you recruit players of a mindset that, no matter who they play for they give it the lot !! We have nowhere near enough of either type.

Spot on. I want players who care a modicum about the Club and don't necessarily see it as a stepping stone to the EPL or the OF.

I also want players who hurt when they lose.

To me RM fits that criteria and with some coaching from IC and AM.

I'd love to see him back.

I am off the opinion that no footballer likes to lose football matches. I get what your saying and it's definitely a bonus having fans in the team. We are well short in the player department it has nothing to do with desire IMO

Whilst Gowser's ability is undeniably blown out of proportion by many on here, we are missing players with his heart and hunger to play and win at Hearts. For that reason I'd have him back in a heart beat.

I am off the opinion that no footballer likes to lose football matches. I get what your saying and it's definitely a bonus having fans in the team. We are well short in the player department it has nothing to do with desire IMO

Ive watched Hearts players in games this season, more than once and more than one, who clearly didn't have 100% desire to WIN.

We dont have enough of that type IMO. I'm not saying you fill the team with them because you risk compromising on quality at the expense of pure desire.

Djoum is the perfect example of this. A truly great player when things are going his way and the team are playing well. Ask him to dig the trench though and spill his guts on the pitch when thats whats needed and he hasn't got that in his armoury. 

I believe Hughes will have it in abundance and thats the main reason we've signed him

Ricardo Shillyshally

Heard a while back he was in crazy wages in China. Source was one of his friends. Makes Berra look like a pauper.

Better than any other right back we currently have if we could sign him on decent terms don't see why not can play various positions well and loves Hearts

Ive watched Hearts players in games this season, more than once and more than one, who clearly didn't have 100% desire to WIN.

We dont have enough of that type IMO. I'm not saying you fill the team with them because you risk compromising on quality at the expense of pure desire.

Djoum is the perfect example of this. A truly great player when things are going his way and the team are playing well. Ask him to dig the trench though and spill his guts on the pitch when thats whats needed and he hasn't got that in his armoury.

I believe Hughes will have it in abundance and thats the main reason we've signed him

That's not Djoums game I agree. You could say the same about Jamie Walker as well but thats not his game either. The ball winners like Kitchen should be doing that dirty work.

Hughes will bring a bit of steel and quality but I doubt he is a hearts man.

Elvis wasn't a particularly good footballer, in the Sandy Jardine sense....but he was a fantastic defender will a no lose attitude which carried him through games.

Whilst McGowan isn't quite Elvis his infectious attitude and will to win is something I think we're currently missing.

That's not Djoums game I agree. You could say the same about Jamie Walker as well but thats not his game either. The ball winners like Kitchen should be doing that dirty work.

Hughes will bring a bit of steel and quality but I doubt he is a hearts man.

He doesn't have to be a Hearts man. Hartley wasn't a Hearts man. Fulton wasn't. Sandy Clark wasn't. Dave McPherson wasn't. Jimmy Bone wasn't. Colquhoun wasn't.Pasquale Bruno....Pressley.....I could go on........and on and on. Most of them are from the past. They all had talent of course but none of them were extraordinarily talented (they wouldn't have been with Hearts if they were superstars) but they made up for what they lacked by leaving every drop of themselves on the pitch at the end of a game.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I thought some of his best performances were those of an attacking fullback. That Skacel goal he set up in a Derby c2011 for eg.

I don't think he is that comfortable on the ball. Only my very humble opinion though

I don't think he is that comfortable on the ball. Only my very humble opinion though

With respect to him, he wasn't the most intelligent footballer. Give him thinking time and he got a bit lost. But he had a bit of pace and lot of determination. He can cross a ball and he can tackle. Take away Patersons goals and McGowan is, or certainly was, a better player.

i wish jj was my dad

He doesn't have to be a Hearts man. Hartley wasn't a Hearts man. Fulton wasn't. Sandy Clark wasn't. Dave McPherson wasn't. Jimmy Bone wasn't. Colquhoun wasn't.Pasquale Bruno....Pressley.....I could go on........and on and on. Most of them are from the past. They all had talent of course but none of them were extraordinarily talented (they wouldn't have been with Hearts if they were superstars) but they made up for what they lacked by leaving every drop of themselves on the pitch at the end of a game.

Jimmy Bone was a Hearts fan but I agree with the sentiment. We need some blood and snotters types at the club. Gowser would be that type of asset.

Can't see it but I'd be very happy to see him back at the club.

Marooned In Oz

He's a very good defender but isn't so good with the ball at his feet.  Since we are leaking goals I would definitely have him back as an auxiliary right back/centre half.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With respect to him, he wasn't the most intelligent footballer. Give him thinking time and he got a bit lost. But he had a bit of pace and lot of determination. He can cross a ball and he can tackle. Take away Patersons goals and McGowan is, or certainly was, a better player.

He is a very hard man to get by. Don't get me wrong, I would have him in my team. I am very much a Paolo Sergio fan. Gowser fitted that team fine

Jimmy Bone was a Hearts fan but I agree with the sentiment. We need some blood and snotters types at the club. Gowser would be that type of asset.

Can't see it but I'd be very happy to see him back at the club.

PHM know JB was a PHM....:thumbsup:

Harking back to your earlier post, you made the point that Ryan 'gets Hearts' rather than that he was a Hearts man.

I think the same could be said for many of the names on your list above, and I agree with your sentiment.  A player doesn't need to be a Hearts fan when we sign him, but it's good if he gets what the club is about and becomes a Hearts fan while he's with us.

The only thing I'd pick you up on, in your first post you thought Ryan 'got' Hearts more than any other foreign signing we've made.  I'd go for Rudi ahead of Ryan, but both clearly in that category.

Are we just picking random ex-players and saying they're coming back?

Someone please say they've had a text from Sow and that he's missing the Festival.

Ryan is a distinctly average footballer. Umpteen 5-1 references and dislike for hibs aren't going to change that.

:spoton:

It's difficult to discuss Hearts players from the future. We don't know who they are yet.

Harking back to your earlier post, you made the point that Ryan 'gets Hearts' rather than that he was a Hearts man.

I think the same could be said for many of the names on your list above, and I agree with your sentiment.  A player doesn't need to be a Hearts fan when we sign him, but it's good if he gets what the club is about and becomes a Hearts fan while he's with us.

The only thing I'd pick you up on, in your first post you thought Ryan 'got' Hearts more than any other foreign signing we've made.  I'd go for Rudi ahead of Ryan, but both clearly in that category.

Agree on Skacel, but Skacel's main asset was that he was supremely talented. That first. PHM second. Thats why he was so special.

Supreme talent plus loved the club. We've had barely a handful of those in the last 30-40 years.

It's difficult to discuss Hearts players from the future. We don't know who they are yet.

You know what I meant. i.e I was struggling to name any from the Romanov era forwards, apart from Hartley obviously, and even he was there pre Vlad.

Lucille's Thirsty

:lol:

Almost every time I think of Gowser I remember him jumping up and down like a kangaroo scoring his goal. Also his face when he realised he scored a goal in that picture of him lying in the goal.

PHM know JB was a PHM.... :thumbsup:

Stated he watched Falkirk  and Stirling Albion as a laddie at a dinner I was at several years ago. Made no mention of being a jambo born and bred.

Stated he watched Falkirk and Stirling Albion as a laddie at a dinner I was at several years ago. Made no mention of being a jambo born and bred.

Don't get desperate CW, just pulling yer leg with the PHM stuff. :D

Twice I've read JB interviews where he said he grew up a JT. The last one was in the pre match build up to the Wee Cup Final v St Mirren. His loyalties were divided as he was employed by them.

Said he picked his Mums side as a kid to support Hearts, she was from Edinburgh I think, as his Dad's side were Huns from the Stirling area. He grew up in Fallon.

If I am honest I can only really admit to watching Hartley and Pressley on a regular basis and Fulton to a certain degree.

I get the sort of player you are eluding to but they are few and far between in today's game and Gowser doesn't have the additional attributes that would make him worth a punt IMO. Yes he was playing in a failing side at Dundee United but he was posted missing a fair bit from what I remeber.

You have put forward a very good case though I'll give you that.

Ryan is a distinctly average footballer. Umpteen 5-1 references and dislike for hibs aren't going to change that.

An average footballer but not an average defender.

Raheem Sterling would testify to this.

I think he's a much improved player from the one who left us.

Not only that but he played for us over a time where Scottish football was played at a slightly higher quality than it is now save for Celtic and Aberdeen who have maintained their level.

I think he'd do well with us.

I think he's a much improved player from the one who left us.

Not only that but he played for us over a time where Scottish football was played at a slightly higher quality than it is now save for Celtic and Aberdeen who have maintained their level.

I think he'd do well with us.

I agree with most of this, except the Aberdeen bit. Aberdeen have been complete shit until very recently indeed.

I agree with most of this, except the Aberdeen bit. Aberdeen have been complete shit until very recently indeed.

50/50 I think.

Ryan was with us between 08-13

Between 07-10 Aberdeen were 4th quite consistently I think.

It was 2010/11 onward they had a bad time with some...8th-9th(?) place finishes.

since we seem to be wanting ex players why not have Takis back at left back.Sorted.

Takis is past it imo

What's Stephane Mahe up to these days?

People seem very keen to insist he's 'average' and doesn't have a footballing brain. He was an absolute star for us, Played tremendously in europe for us and has held his own in China.

This is also the SPL we're talking about, hardly la liga :D

If Gowser game in he'd do fine. We're always going to miss Patersons goals but finding a double figures goalscoring right back is an anomaly. He'd add to our defence and stop us leaking goals. Something we need. 

People seem very keen to insist he's 'average' and doesn't have a footballing brain. He was an absolute star for us, Played tremendously in europe for us and has held his own in China.

This is also the SPL we're talking about, hardly la liga :D

If Gowser game in he'd do fine. We're always going to miss Patersons goals but finding a double figures goalscoring right back is an anomaly. He'd add to our defence and stop us leaking goals. Something we need.

All of this.

Underrated. I'd take him back.

This..

I can't believe the number of people who think that we are to good for him.. He's made more money in football than Smith will ever make.. you can probably add Souttar to that list too...

His best attribute was the never say die and always give your all attitude that most Australian sportsmen have.

Which is what I think we are lacking..

Said it better than me..

Bazzas right boot

Don't need Hearts men, just need a few gritty never say die players.

Who gives a flying who they support, it's not the 80's.

Some of the players most desperate to leave us are and have been Heart's fans.

Need a few proper professional, never say die players.

Gowser was one of these types, but imo not not a very good footballer, average but his attitude taken him above that and he's done much better than others with more ability ( Templeton anyone?).

I'd take him back as we are really short atm, however he won't want to come back and I think we will do better, especially for the money.

I still have high hopes for Smith at rb as well.

I liked Gowser as a raw kid. I think he was underrated as I said earlier. Since then however he has played in different continents, in European competition and a World Cup. This sort of experience improves players and I think people sometimes don't appreciate just how much a player learns from that sort of thing.

I liked Gowser as a raw kid. I think he was underrated as I said earlier. Since then however he has played in different continents, in European competition and a World Cup. This sort of experience improves players and I think people sometimes don't appreciate just how much a player learns from that sort of thing.

Let's hope that somebody thinks the same of Oshinawa....

Archived