memories of the 80s

cookieboy

My memory is slightly hazy. Think it was after the cup final they went back to the Caley. Can't check either as I gave the book to somebody and didn't get it back.

Definitely the Caledonian.

We had more fans there than the Smeltic took to Seville.

And that's saying something cos the 'greatest fans in the world' took a minimum of 250,000 all the way there. :sarcasm:

Aye, so they feckin did.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of that, there is no doubt.

Yep, the odds were stacked well against us before a ball was kicked.

Mind you iirc did Berry not rattle the bar? Who knows what might have happened if that had gone in. Can't even remember what stage of the game that was right enough.

The support was still tremendous that day though.

Mind you iirc did Berry not rattle the bar? Who knows what might have happened if that had gone in. Can't even remember what stage of the game that was right enough.

Best support in Scotland then and the most loyal still.

Working in the Cafe Royal.

Drinking in the Penthouse.

Drinking in Leeries.

Drinking in Marrs bar.

Having a job induction 'conversation' in the Penny Black :vrface:

Seeing Simple Minds at Meadowbank three hours after Tommy Coyne scored a hat-trick against the Hearts at Tynie and the barsteward coming out onto the stage with a feckin Tim scarf round his neck.

watched that game in a flat on gorgie rd facing onto the pitch. The amount of celtic fans pressing the intercom buzzer asking if the flat had a pitchside view was an eye opener.

Yes he nearly snapped the bar in two from about 30 yards iirc, 

There's a fantastic photo of that in that book. Berry has just leathered it and Miller and McLeish have there arms raised as if to say 'bye kick'. Robbo also chipped Leighton in the first half and it went just over.

I thought it was in the box!! :lol:

I could be completely wrong, I have a memory of him hitting the ball from a distance, sure we were shooting towards the Aberdeen end ? memory isn't the best and I'll take your word for it if my recollection is all wrong.

I mind the last thing my Mum said to me before we left for Hampden, "remember, it's only football". She knew it probably wouldn't go our way :(

I could be completely wrong, I have a memory of him hitting the ball from a distance, sure we were shooting towards the Aberdeen end ? memory isn't the best and I'll take your word for it if my recollection is all wrong.

I'm sure it was from a good bit out, cracking strike.

We were defo shooting to the Aberdeen end, which was the second half. We had a ridiculous support at hampden that day.

It's no bad mate!

Not trying to bring it down but did anyone have any bother with the Hibs young team?

The ***** battered my mate and stole the clothes we'd bought earlier when we were walking along Prinny street.

a few of my mates were 'taxed' by these thieving scumbags.

Does anyone remember a 2-1 win at Ibrox in about '88. One of the chants was - We're going to Hampden, We're going to Hampden, You're no,  You're no -  as we had a Scottish Cup SF v Celtic coming up & they had been KO'd by Dunfermline.

For me it was  a memorable win at Ibrox, The Rangers fans were not happy, which only added to the occasion.

We were defo shooting to the Aberdeen end, which was the second half. We had a ridiculous support at hampden that day.

I've just been watching the goals on youtube to see if there was any footage of NB's strike lol, Yes some support I was in the first section past the shed  i remember standing the whole game and could hardly move, theres images online and when u see any videos its very impressive. Was reckoned we had 45 thousand, im sure we had just past the half way line it wasn't a 50\50 split.

Does anyone remember a 2-1 win at Ibrox in about '88. One of the chants was - We're going to Hampden, We're going to Hampden, You're no, You're no - as we had a Scottish Cup SF v Celtic coming up & they had been KO'd by Dunfermline.

For me it was a memorable win at Ibrox, The Rangers fans were not happy, which only added to the occasion.

Were we in the top of the Broomloan? Was that the game Mike Galloway scored?

Does anyone remember a 2-1 win at Ibrox in about '88. One of the chants was - We're going to Hampden, We're going to Hampden, You're no,  You're no -  as we had a Scottish Cup SF v Celtic coming up & they had been KO'd by Dunfermline.

For me it was  a memorable win at Ibrox, The Rangers fans were not happy, which only added to the occasion.

Can't mind that likes. Was at the semi tho. Was talking to big Dave McPherson about that game last year. Those were real hard times being a Jambo in 86, 87 & 88.

I've just been watching the goals on youtube to see if there was any footage of NB's strike lol, Yes some support I was in the first section past the shed i remember standing the whole game and could hardly move, theres images online and when u see any videos its very impressive. Was reckoned we had 45 thousand, im sure we had just past the half way line it wasn't a 50\50 split.

That's exactly the same section where I was!!

Can't mind that likes. Was at the semi tho. Was talking to big Dave McPherson about that game last year. Those were real hard times being a Jambo in 86, 87 & 88.

Not easy being a Hearts fan mate! That Celtic semi in 88 was a real sickener as well.

Not easy being a Hearts fan mate! That Celtic semi in 88 was a real sickener as well.

I was only 12 at the time. I mind leaving and almost being in tears.

I got lifted before the game

87 was a sore one as well

But over all and where we had been it was brilliant

From  the likes of Whitley Bay to Dumbaron,  Paris, Dublin , Munich and many more places it was joy following Hearts

I remember the Queues  at Tynie for the 86 SCF never seen the likes

I was through getting a right few well that was the plan

Couldny handle waiting any longer and went to the Pub then tanned my rest in the Bookies, not clever

Eventually got home and tapped my Mum

Waited the next day though this time with a scran and Cargo in tow  !!!

I got lifted before the game

87 was a sore one as well

But over all and where we had been it was brilliant

From  the likes of Whitley Bay to Dumbaron,  Paris, Dublin , Munich and many more places it was joy following Hearts

I remember the Queues  at Tynie for the 86 SCF never seen the likes

I was through getting a right few well that was the plan

Couldny handle waiting any longer and went to the Pub then tanned my rest in the Bookies, not clever

Eventually got home and tapped my Mum

Waited the next day though this time with a scran and Cargo in tow  !!!

Tremendous!! :lol:

Since we're talking 80's fashions as well here's a nice wee list to get started. Feel free to add more.

Snow wash jeans.

Waffle trousers

Pringle jumpers

Galini sweatshirts

Le shark (Lol)

Pepe jeans

Pod sandals

Chunky knit jumpers

Nike Air Max

Nike Shell suits (Cringe)

Radiation jackets

Permed hair at the back (Bad bad hair style)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipie

Kickers

Retour

Mind a few people sporting Denim jackets wi cartoon characters

Bought a pair of Kenzo jeans from a wee shop just of the high stree ( st Mary's street I think) thought I was the dugs.

Ocean Pacific

Always mind trying to avoid the Hibs mob coming out of Olympus sports with any new gear

Benetton

Next rugby shirts

And sad to say my hair was permed at the back (shakes head)

F'in loved it all though

I was only 12 at the time. I mind leaving and almost being in tears.

We left before the last goal to beat the traffic. Can remember the roar thinkin it was full time and talking to my dad about going to the replay. Got back to the car,turned the radio on and finding we got beat. Pretty hard to take. Horrible moment. Thats being a Hearts fan for you!

chipie

Kickers

Retour

Bought a pair of Kenzo jeans from a wee shop just of the high stree ( st Mary's street I think) thought I was the dugs.

Ocean Pacific

Always mind trying to avoid the Hibs mob coming out of Olympus sports with any new gear

Benetton

Next rugby shirts

F'in loved it all though

pods, farah hopsack trousers,tapped brogues,button down shirts,adidas trackie bottoms with the stripes going across the back of the calf,ingliston market. Ah I can still smell it!

chipie

Kickers

Retour

Ocean Pacific

Benetton

Next rugby shirts

F'in loved it all though

Here, Neil, where did you hit the bar from?!

Here, Neil, where did you hit the bar from?!

Hahaha wish I could help settle it bud can't even remember him hitting the bar tbh,did Hewitt no score really early on pretty sure I just switched off after that

SlickbackDavieMac

Pringle jumpers

C17 jeans

jumbo chords

Ski hats, one side Hearts other side Chelsea/Other

Lord Toms

Saint & Greivsey

the pink

the start of 22 in a row

Running riot at Parkheid car park 85/86

Pringle jumpers

C17 jeans

jumbo chords

Ski hats, one side Hearts other side Chelsea/Other

Lord Toms

Saint & Greivsey

the pink

the start of 22 in a row

Running riot at Parkheid car park 85/86

Had the Half n Half Hearts/Chelsea Ski hat.

I also remember a a huge running battle/riot at the car park at Parkheid, can't remember if it was 85/86 though, coud have been slightly later, and every chance it was a different one to the one you remember Parkheid was never a nice place, Remember we just got to the top of a mound of earth at the end of the street about to enter the car park and just saw Celtic and Hearts fans battling, bodies lying about, bottles flying, and mounted police charging in, our bus window was smashed in. Crazy times

I also remember a a huge running battle/riot at the car park at Parkheid, can't remember if it was 85/86 though, coud have been slightly later, and every chance it was a different one to the one you remember Parkheid was never a nice place, Remember we just got to the top of a mound of earth at the end of the street about to enter the car park and just saw Celtic and Hearts fans battling, bodies lying about, bottles flying, and mounted police charging in, our bus window was smashed in. Crazy times

that was one crazy day. I remember the polis wading in to hearts fans who were injured. You new the minute you stepped off the bus there would be trouble. It was a sinister atmosphere.

that was one crazy day. I remember the polis wading in to hearts fans who were injured. You new the minute you stepped off the bus there would be trouble. It was a sinister atmosphere.

That bit of waste ground where the buses parked was a nightmare. Dodgy times getting back to the bus.

The midweek game?if so was probably the most crazy ****ed up exit from a game ever

Hearts were game as that  night assuming we are talking about the midweek game

It went on for ever with more and more coming off the buses to challenge the Celtic fans who were up for bother

House and bus windows panned in, Horses, pitch battles worsed I've ever seen

I literally   walked into Celtic by mistake going back to the bus  though thanks to a few Hearts fans I survived a right scary moment as I defended my self  with there help

Were we in the top of the Broomloan? Was that the game Mike Galloway scored?

We were in the top of the Broomloan. It was not the game that MG scored - we should have won that game - it was the 2nd trip to Ibrox, they were 1 up at half time but Dave McPherson scored with a header and Robbo slotted home a PK.

Seymour M Hersh

PJ's was poncey.

Biancos (the white place) was cool as eggs.

What a feckin era!

Charlie Parkers in George Street anyone?

Hoot and Anny central by the way.

That became Styx. Many a Friday night straight from work late 80's and not leaving until after midnight. 

Okay then - can anyone remember outside the Caledonian, after we'd just blown it in Dundee? Robbo waving out the window. Had a good night out in spite of everything.

Was that not after the cup final?

I was there, was On top of the phone box and the photo is in a book I've got that kidd and Whittaker signed for me during a book signing

I was there, was On top of the phone box and the photo is in a book I've got that kidd and Whittaker signed for me during a book signing

Was defo after the cup final.

I think they went back to the Caley both times but I might be conflating the two.  But I remember buying some Champagne out of somewhere on Shandwick Place and standing outside the Caley with maybe 100 or so Jambos. Robbo leaned out a window quite high up - later on I remember dancing in the Sheraton fountain and squelching along Dundee Street with a kebab...    but I was very, very drunk. 

The wee red book - had all the fixtures and club info in it.  Pocket sized and went everywhere with me.

Many memories for me but summed up for me was our trip to play PSG ,I think it was our 1st euro trip for about 4 or 5 years and went with the portobello bus , a scream from start to finish , like an earlier poster we too hadn't gone a mile when one of the bevvied guys spewed up , also I'm sure it was around 4-5 thousand jambos in Paris

I remember Walking into the stadium thinking the French had a similar song to us until I realised it was us singing

Bonjour,bonjour

We are the Georgie gar?on

In the stadium when the twirly started all the French photographers taking loads of pictures of it !! And the PSG. fans we met being really complimentary about our support

Great trip never to be forgotten

Brilliant 3 day trek.  Wallace Mercer had to come out about 30 mins after the end of the game (probably at the request of the French) to try to get the fans to leave the stadium as we were calling for the team to come out for an encore.  Slept in the hold of one of the busses, which was slightly more comfortable than the flowerbed under the Eiffel tower :)

Салатные палочки

Brilliant thread lads. Sounds like some great times.  Unfortunately I was only a wee nipper at the time and I remember very little up until about 1988. 

Got into supporting Heart's in Primary 1 as my best mate's family were all mad Jambos (my old man was a Hun in his younger years).  Got my first kit in 1989.  The day Scotland played England at Hampden in the Rous Cup.  My old man was going to the game and he handed my mum a wedge and said take him up to Greaves Sports and get him the Hearts strip.  He said "It should say Novafone on the front".  So off we went on the train up the town.  Into Greaves and the guy pulled the kit out from the shelves behind the counter and took it out the cellophane.  Took about half an hour for the guy to explain to her that the kids replica tops didn't have the sponsor on them. I remember it was roasting that day and I asked to wear it home.  Back out Greaves to go to the station for the train and the Scotland and England fans were knocking seven shades of shite out each other all the way down Union Street and My mum dragged us into a shop to get away from it.  On the train home which, despite the police's best efforts, was full of Scotland fans who had avoided the football special.  Back home and immediately changed into my new strip.  Still remember the smell of the plastic badge.  My mum was all ready for taking it back as the socks were "too big" until a guy in the queue for the Icy told her they were meant to be like that.  

Started going to games in March 1990.  

Was that the game that Peter shields had his leg broken by Danny McGrain ?

If it was I remember the bother also inside parkhead,mainly between the police and hearts fans , real nasty trouble and afterwards it all kicked off outside with the Celtic fans , can't remember but I'm sure there was quite a few thousand of us there

Was that the game that Peter shields had his leg broken by Danny McGrain ?

If it was I remember the bother also inside parkhead,mainly between the police and hearts fans , real nasty trouble and afterwards it all kicked off outside with the Celtic fans , can't remember but I'm sure there was quite a few thousand of us there

The "Perfect" Danny McGrain tackle in Peter Shields that ended is career basically. A feckin thug of a man and absolute walloper hated that wank stain.

That was a bit before the battle we're talking about that was early 80's 82 or 83 ish. Like I'd said parkheid was always a nasty violent place always guaranteed a battle when we went there. The battle we're on about, there was a few thousand Hearts fans at that game as well, used to travel in big numbers to Parkhead and Ibrox back in they days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived