Dog advice

Statts1976uk

Just looking for some advice from some dog owners about my Jack Russell. My dog is 6 months old and neutered about 6 weeks ago but is still quite hyperactive followed by periods of being quite chilled and relaxed particularly when the kids have gone to their bed. He does try to be the alpha animal in the house and doesn't take well when he's disciplined. He usually leads with his mouth and we're working hard to try and stop this but this morning he went for my three year old daughter and left marks in her hand, tried to bite her foot and knocked her off her feet. He didn't break the skin but my daughter is quite wary of him now. We've booked a dog behaviourist who's very highly recommended as we want to explore every avenue before looking at rehoming.

Have you of you guys had similar issues and have some good advice? All help welcomed as he can be a very loving dog and I do appreciate that he is still just a young thing going through his doggy adolescence.

Other than obedience classes of some kind. Get a cage. Keep it in another room. As soon as he starts the hyper stuff and the aggression, he goes in it and you close the door and ignore him. Pretty soon he will relate the bad behaviour to being isolated, which he won't like because he is attention seeking, and he'll stop. Might take 2 weeks or 2 months. You need to be firm and eradicate this because a wee nip can easily progress to a full on attack.

In any house where there is a dog, the first thing you need to establish is who the 'pack leader' is, and thats you.

What food is it on? That can be a big factor.

Your cheap shite out the supermarket can be full of sugars and processed crap.

My good lady is a veterinary nurse and does diet plans for overweight dogs/cats. The food they eat also factors on their behaviour.

Thanks for all the replies, you have all been very helpful.

I do make sure that he knows that I'm the alpha in the house but this can be hard for him to understand as I'm away working most of the week. He does try an push the boundaries a bit with me but I try to be hard but fair with him.

Out walking he is very good, he reacts well to other dogs as he was introduced to a walking group from an early age and also has a good relationship with our cat.

I never thought about the food aspect but he doesn't get the cheap stuff from the supermarket, the wife makes sure he always gets the good stuff that is nutritionally matched for his growing needs. My missus is also a vet nurse,although a stay at home mum for the last couple of years, and has been concerned in case something in the food might need changed.

We have booked the behaviourist for next week and she's wanting the kids there for this session and we're going to try and give this a real go as he can be such a good dog and he absolutely loves the kids but his excitement sometimes takes over. My daughter has went back to playing with him and I think he knows he did wrong but I'm keeping a very close eye on him.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

6 months old is still a pup, though. Surely enough time for him to learn how to behave how you want him to.

Thanks for all the replies, you have all been very helpful.

I do make sure that he knows that I'm the alpha in the house but this can be hard for him to understand as I'm away working most of the week. He does try an push the boundaries a bit with me but I try to be hard but fair with him.

Out walking he is very good, he reacts well to other dogs as he was introduced to a walking group from an early age and also has a good relationship with our cat.

I never thought about the food aspect but he doesn't get the cheap stuff from the supermarket, the wife makes sure he always gets the good stuff that is nutritionally matched for his growing needs. My missus is also a vet nurse,although a stay at home mum for the last couple of years, and has been concerned in case something in the food might need changed.

We have booked the behaviourist for next week and she's wanting the kids there for this session and we're going to try and give this a real go as he can be such a good dog and he absolutely loves the kids but his excitement sometimes takes over. My daughter has went back to playing with him and I think he knows he did wrong but I'm keeping a very close eye on him.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

What brand of food is it on?

Wee dugs have wee dug syndrome. Just yelp constantly as they want to be big. Hand it in to a rescue centre and get a lab. They're real dugs.

Toxteth O'Grady

Hopefully the behaviourist will know how to sort it out. I have a 4 year old Jack Russel that is a great family pet and he loves our neighbours kids aged 2 and 7.

Good luck I hope it works out

I'd be worried about having it around the kids. If it snapped once it could do it again, and I can just imagine the guilt I'd feel if anything worse was to happen.  Sell it and get a Cocker Spaniel.

My aunt had a few JR's and they were all similar to what the OP states. One in particular frightened the crap out of me and I'm sure it thought it was a doberman.

The Real Maroonblood

What food is it on? That can be a big factor.

Your cheap shite out the supermarket can be full of sugars and processed crap.

My good lady is a veterinary nurse and does diet plans for overweight dogs/cats. The food they eat also factors on their behaviour.

This is good advice.

I'm sure this is the problem with children these days.

Just looking for some advice from some dog owners about my Jack Russell. My dog is 6 months old and neutered about 6 weeks ago but is still quite hyperactive followed by periods of being quite chilled and relaxed particularly when the kids have gone to their bed. He does try to be the alpha animal in the house and doesn't take well when he's disciplined. He usually leads with his mouth and we're working hard to try and stop this but this morning he went for my three year old daughter and left marks in her hand, tried to bite her foot and knocked her off her feet. He didn't break the skin but my daughter is quite wary of him now. We've booked a dog behaviourist who's very highly recommended as we want to explore every avenue before looking at rehoming.

Have you of you guys had similar issues and have some good advice? All help welcomed as he can be a very loving dog and I do appreciate that he is still just a young thing going through his doggy adolescence.

Dogs which try to bite children are never a good idea to keep and the dog will do it again, giving half the chance.

Can you trust the dog to be left alone with your daughter?  If you can't, well you know what needs to be done.

You want to give him every chance possible, I understand that, he's young and you hope he'll grow out of it, but what if he doesn't what then?

Sounds to me that he just doesn't like kids, some dogs are like this, period, doesn't matter how many behaviourists you take him to, he could be as good as gold but as soon as he's back home again, he resorts back to type.

As for trying to bite your daughter, that's a complete no no mate, It makes no difference whether he broke the skin or not as the intent was there and isn't the first time he's shown a nasty streak, it sounds like it's just him, as I said some dogs are just like that.

I'm not an expert in any way, but I've had enough dogs and been around dogs for many many years and your post concerns me, it concerns you as well and deep down you know he needs to go, as you can't trust the dog.  Will you ever be able to trust the dog?  Somehow I think we both know the answer to that one.

This guys methods work.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-psychology/pack-leader/how-to-be-a-pack-leader

Youtube videos of him as well. You will get a good insite into how dogs work.

I strongly beg to differ.  Why The Dog Whisperer Has Dog Training Entirely Wrong.

'Science has undermined the foundation of Millan?s rather hostile training philosophy: that people must dominate their dogs. This dominance theory is based on 1960?s studies of wolf packs in captivity that found individuals vying for dominance and labeled the winner ?alpha.? '

I strongly beg to differ.  Why The Dog Whisperer Has Dog Training Entirely Wrong.

'Science has undermined the foundation of Millan?s rather hostile training philosophy: that people must dominate their dogs. This dominance theory is based on 1960?s studies of wolf packs in captivity that found individuals vying for dominance and labeled the winner ?alpha.? '

There are video's on youtube of him kicking dogs as well, no wonder he can get the dogs to do as he says, there're shit scared of him.

Dogs which try to bite children are never a good idea to keep and the dog will do it again, giving half the chance.

Can you trust the dog to be left alone with your daughter?  If you can't, well you know what needs to be done.

You want to give him every chance possible, I understand that, he's young and you hope he'll grow out of it, but what if he doesn't what then?

Sounds to me that he just doesn't like kids, some dogs are like this, period, doesn't matter how many behaviourists you take him to, he could be as good as gold but as soon as he's back home again, he resorts back to type.

As for trying to bite your daughter, that's a complete no no mate, It makes no difference whether he broke the skin or not as the intent was there and isn't the first time he's shown a nasty streak, it sounds like it's just him, as I said some dogs are just like that.

I'm not an expert in any way, but I've had enough dogs and been around dogs for many many years and your post concerns me, it concerns you as well and deep down you know he needs to go, as you can't trust the dog.  Will you ever be able to trust the dog?  Somehow I think we both know the answer to that one.

I reluctantly tend to agree with this post.

The OP may well have paid good money for this dog but the fairest thing to do is to hand it in to a re homing centre while explaining the situation to the staff there.

There is a good chance that the dog could be re homed with a family with either no children or grown up kids. The staff at the centre will make sure that any future owner knows to continue with the dogs training. 

There is no reason why the OP's family cant get another dog . Just make sure you go to a reputable breeder and make sure you get to see the pups mother.

Avoid adverts on internet sites etc some of these people dont care what they sell you and the dogs are from questionable sources.

I reluctantly tend to agree with this post.

The OP may well have paid good money for this dog but the fairest thing to do is to hand it in to a re homing centre while explaining the situation to the staff there.

There is a good chance that the dog could be re homed with a family with either no children or grown up kids. The staff at the centre will make sure that any future owner knows to continue with the dogs training. 

There is no reason why the OP's family cant get another dog . Just make sure you go to a reputable breeder and make sure you get to see the pups mother.

Avoid adverts on internet sites etc some of these people dont care what they sell you and the dogs are from questionable sources.

It may be better in some ways to get a adult dog from a rescue centre.

The kids and yourself can interact with the dog in a relatively controlled environment on several occasions if you so wish and the staff often know the dog's history whereas a pup is an unknown quantity.

There are many dogs who have been well used to young children which for one reason or another find themselves in rescue centres.

It is a very difficult situation, I am hoping that maybe it was a one off but maybe I'm trying to be optimistic. We've managed to get the behaviourist out tomorrow, costing a bit more but I'm not bothered about that. Ever since the situation had occurred he's been as good as gold but I'm still wary and want to see what happens tomorrow. We paid a visit to one of my wife's vet friends for a bit of an informal chat and she was saying that this is a very difficult time for him anyway seeing as he's just been neutered as well as going through doggy adolescence. The other thing is that he's been quite excitable, in a good way, about me since I got home last night as I had been away for a wee while at work and he's not been used to me being away. With me being away his routine has been turned upside down.

Hopefully tomorrow will make a bit of a difference and we'll take it from there. He might suit a house without kids but I want to see what options there are before I sent him to a rehoming centre. The strange thing is that I wasn't really keen on getting a dog in the first place but here I am trying to help and sort him out. Should the behaviourist say that it might be best for him to go elsewhere though I would be upset but I know it would be for the best.

I do appreciate everyone's advice in this matter and will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

You have to show it who is boss, as someone said above. They never had cages when I was a dog owner as a nipper but that's the general idea. Association. It's like spoiling em wi treats for doing something right

Could be a mixture of all things . People forget that animals react to things aswell . He's had his baws chopped . Hormones are calming down and his primary owner is away a bit .

My dogs a springer and had him from a pup with two toddlers then three . We crate trained him from the start and he still uses it . We used it as his space where he is safe and comfortable . That meant the kids didn't play in it and if he was in there he was left alone . Worked well as when the kids started bothering him on the floor he would just go to his crate and get peace . We also used to get the kids to help in discipline him . No hitting etc but when he was mis behaving as such the kids (3 and 4) would put him in his crate aswell . This worked well for us but I understand that it's a completely different breed etc and all dogs are different at the end of the day .

Other than obedience classes of some kind. Get a cage. Keep it in another room. As soon as he starts the hyper stuff and the aggression, he goes in it and you close the door and ignore him. Pretty soon he will relate the bad behaviour to being isolated, which he won't like because he is attention seeking, and he'll stop. Might take 2 weeks or 2 months. You need to be firm and eradicate this because a wee nip can easily progress to a full on attack.

In any house where there is a dog, the first thing you need to establish is who the 'pack leader' is, and thats you.

Spot on.

The other small things I would say are: dont let him up on the furniture where yiu & your family sits. Hes not human so he stays on the floor. Same goes with your bed. The dog should have its own sleeping area thats his and his alone, dont ket your kids go in the dog bed to play. Your dog should know whats your area and whats his.

Only feed your dog AFTER you and the family have had your meal. He needs to know hes down the pecking order when it comes to food & dont feed him scraps from your table or he will start to expect it. Dont even prepare his meal until your family are finished theirs. If he runs when the doorbell goes you need to check that as he will think its his position to guard the family and its yours. Then theres the simple things like dont let him out the door first when you/your family are leaving the house, make sure hes last so he knows his place.

As big or small as dogs are, they basically react to the wolf pack mentality. The pack has an Alpha male & female who eat first and the rest of the pack have various roles to play. He needs to understand that his role in your pack is at the bottom rung. He needs to respect your position and understand his or he will assume the Aloha role.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am not one to judge what type of dog anyone chooses but JRs are difficult little beggars and essentially working Rat catchers . My Lab is constantly being snapped at by Jack Russels around where I stay and I notice that most owners have to pick up their little bundles of fury when passing other dogs. That would be too much hassle for me but all dogs are trainable and if you don't give the attention that the dog is seeking and reinforce your top dog status things should be fine long term.

Dave McCreery's knee

Cesar Milan books and videos are good. Exercise, discipline, then affection. Lack of real, proper exercise is often at the root of "bad behaviour". Long walks of a couple of hours or more where there are lots of things of interest to the dog, or chasing after you on a bike works. If the dog is only going into the garden or park and chasing a ball for a while, its generally not enough. The dogs mind and body has to be kept busy.

These are general comments but a tired dog is usually a happy and compliant dog.

CavySlaveJambo

Cesar Milan books and videos are good. Exercise, discipline, then affection. Lack of real, proper exercise is often at the root of "bad behaviour". Long walks of a couple of hours or more where there are lots of things of interest to the dog, or chasing after you on a bike works. If the dog is only going into the garden or park and chasing a ball for a while, its generally not enough. The dogs mind and body has to be kept busy.

These are general comments but a tired dog is usually a happy and compliant dog.

Hope it all went well with the behaviourist.

Cesar Milan is a very contraversial dog trainer.   Dogs will react to certain methods - with aggression. That is why the general "good" way of training dogs is now operant conditioning/possitive association aka "Clicker Training" (this is what Victoria Stillwell - It's me or the dog uses). Or other reward based training methods. 

And yes try and find things to stimulate his mind.  Even something as simple as leaving a small portion of his food in a plastic bottle, or through a "snuffle mat" (which you can make quite cheaply). 

Get a second dog.

Ignore him when he plays up.

There are video's on youtube of him kicking dogs as well, no wonder he can get the dogs to do as he says, there're shit scared of him.

To be fair if a dog tried to go for my little boy it wouldn't be around very long.

He sounds not too much different to my Lhasa at that age.

What age did you get him at and how often is being walked?

My dog has broken the skin a couple times, however I can tell he's not meant it and he actually just wanting to play. He's never bitten a stranger and from the sounds of it, he was probably just a little too keen to play with your daughter.

The reason I ask about what age you got him in that, is that their mothers generally teach them that biting is wrong. If they get separated too young, they don't learn this from the mother so you need to teach them.

My guy, still does it on occasion, however he gets shut in a separate immediately and normally cuts it out immediately afterwards. His crazy spells decrease the more walks he gets tbh and the biting/mouthing stops immediately if you offer to play with some other toy.

Again, from my experience with my dog, he was probably over excited and just wanted to play with your daughter.

My advice would be tire him out with walks and playing. If he acts up, show him who's boss and shut him out. He should learn pretty fast.

I'd look into puppy classes. We went to one, 'Karen's dogs' - they're on Facebook and she was very good. ?60 for 6 lessons. She can also come to your house and do it privately. Although the classes are good for socialising with other dogs.

We took ours when he was a little too young and was terrified of the other dogs. But he got better as the weeks went by and picked up all the tricks very quickly.

You can talk to her about his specific issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannae take any chances, I reckon. Quite different circumstances but we had to put down our dog a few months ago after he bit my son, who is a similar age to your daughter.

Was ****ing horrible to do, but the only decision we could make. Again, it was different circumstances, and perhaps it is "just a phase" for your dog...however, think of how you would feel if the dog does it again, and worse?

A wee nip is one thing, but if you are obviously thinking about it enough to come in here for advice you probably know it was a fairly serious incident.

Bottom line - do you feel comfortable with the dog around your daughter, and do you think she (and potentially other kids) is safe?

Took our Lab to an obedience class and it didn't help one bit. Booked into the class for a second attempt and when we arrived the trainer said "Oh no its Domi". He was so hyper that I took him to the vet and he suggested valium - I did ask was that for the dog or me. The vet's final suggestion was to get the dog castrated! Well that cost ?120 and didn't make a blind bit of difference. He was a lovely, affectionate dog and I was in tears when I handed him back to the breeder.

Jambof3tornado

Do your homework and be honest with yourself about what time you will have to spend with a pooch. Also research what breeds would suit you.

Archived