Inaccuracies in TV and Films?

Dawnrazor

I've been shooting all my life really, I was looking forward to "Shooter" on Netflix, lasted about 20 minutes, terrible inaccuracies that I just couldn't get over!!

I struck me that whenever anything that involves shooting in TV and Films is very poorly researched and I does my head in, and I wondered if there are other hobbies, sports, professions that are wide of the mark from the real world, police? Fire service? Teachers, Doctors, anything really?

Pretty much as you say for me.

Almost every time someone picks up a weapon in a movie or on tv I start picking holes.

The worst is when they try to imitate a gun shot wound. Especially if it's a rifle or shotgun wound. The way flesh reacts when hit by a heavy calibre at 50+ yards never seems to be correct.

One of the worst I have seen recently was in War Horse. Members of the Dorset Regt going over the top and a piper playing them over to Blue Bonnets. Poor Research by the Director Steven Spielburg.

The makers  of ''In The Name Of My Father''  took liberty's

Braveheart as well

Most of the time its all about selling the film not the truth as the powers that be ken better

Question Time. There's the bit where they introduce Nigel Farage and people applaud, I mean, how inaccurate is that?

Bbc and the guardians reporting of the Syrian war .

That would be doing a disservice to inaccuracy.

Blatant lies.

52 % of actual votes would suggest the applause were not that far of the mark.

True about the shooting thing. It probably depends on the weapon but I watched an SAS documentary and they said the last thing you do with a machine gun is act like Arnie and spray bullets.

It's about accuracy and calmness, almost one shot at a time.

Space Mackerel

I've been shooting all my life really, I was looking forward to "Shooter" on Netflix, lasted about 20 minutes, terrible inaccuracies that I just couldn't get over!!

I struck me that whenever anything that involves shooting in TV and Films is very poorly researched and I does my head in, and I wondered if there are other hobbies, sports, professions that are wide of the mark from the real world, police? Fire service? Teachers, Doctors, anything really?

Shooting smack or shotguns?

Craig Gordons Gloves

The makers  of ''In The Name Of My Father''  took liberty's

Braveheart as well

Most of the time its all about selling the film not the truth as the powers that be ken better

This! Irritates me beyond belief that they make out that Wallace was pumping young Edward's missus just to provide some sort of romance.  

Space Mackerel

Smack, good BRITISH smack.

That'll be your ski "teaching" career fecked abroad then in Europe :lol:

Hillend if you're lucky :)

The Real Maroonblood

The TGV in Mission Impossible going through the Channel Tunnel!

With the helicopter chasing it.

Jambof3tornado

True about the shooting thing. It probably depends on the weapon but I watched an SAS documentary and they said the last thing you do with a machine gun is act like Arnie and spray bullets.

It's about accuracy and calmness, almost one shot at a time.

3 to 5 round bursts maximum. Any more and you wont be aiming anywhere near your target.

I spent many a year on small arms ranges test firing various weapons.

jamboinglasgow

This! Irritates me beyond belief that they make out that Wallace was pumping young Edward's missus just to provide some sort of romance.  

When in real life she was 3 at the time.

I can handle some historical inaccuracies in a film but the number of errors in Braveheart is just laziness and just cant enjoy the film.

The two main ones that really annoy me is first of the all the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Which features no bridge (the production staff apparently said it was too expensive to have one.) By taking out the key element of the battle it completely removes what was so remarkable about the victory. 

The second is how they treat Robert the Bruce. In it he is a sniveling coward, too afraid to help for fear of upsetting his father, betraying Wallace (which is completely untrue) and only fights Bannockburn because Wallace died. It just ruins what is one of the most fascinating characters in Scottish history (someone who could give game of thrones a run for their money in power games and violence.) 

In films, when an 18 year old goes round to visit his mate, but he is not in. So he pumps his mate's mum instead.

That never happens in real life. It didn't to me, anyway.

Better call Saul

shame she was tidy was as well

In films, when an 18 year old goes round to visit his mate, but he is not in. So he pumps his mate's mum instead.

That never happens in real life. It didn't to me, anyway.

That's what you think.

Christ. I wish I had you as a friend.

I was actually inferring that you may have been the mate who wasn't in.

I don't think it happened to me either.

Hand to hand fighting in TV shows always looks like something out of the WWE. If you've done any sort of martial art at a half decent level you'll spend half you time saying "that doesn't work!.

When in real life she was 3 at the time.

I can handle some historical inaccuracies in a film but the number of errors in Braveheart is just laziness and just cant enjoy the film.

The two main ones that really annoy me is first of the all the Battle of Stirling Bridge. Which features no bridge (the production staff apparently said it was too expensive to have one.) By taking out the key element of the battle it completely removes what was so remarkable about the victory.

The second is how they treat Robert the Bruce. In it he is a sniveling coward, too afraid to help for fear of upsetting his father, betraying Wallace (which is completely untrue) and only fights Bannockburn because Wallace died. It just ruins what is one of the most fascinating characters in Scottish history (someone who could give game of thrones a run for their money in power games and violence.)

Another is the sacking of York. Wallace did indeed invade Northern England but didn't make it as far as York.

Bbc and the guardians reporting of the Syrian war .

That would be doing a disservice to inaccuracy.

Blatant lies.

52 % of actual votes would suggest the applause were not that far of the mark.

Gies peace with yet Syria pish. Or go and fight for them.

I was actually inferring that you may have been the mate who wasn't in.

I don't think it happened to me either.

As was I.

Sawdust Caesar

In films when someone gets stabbed, and not in an artery, they die within seconds. I remember the scene in the Magnificent 7 when James Coburn's character manages to throw a knife at someone who was pulling a gun on him, the guy dies almost instantaneously. He threw the knife at him from about 25 feet and there was enough power for it to deeply penetrate his body killing him rigt away.

Same as when being shot, it's usually a quick death, or if it's John Wayne/Arnie/Stallone etc, it's only a flesh wound and doesn't impair their fighting abilities in the slightest.

Explosions in space that you can hear.

I watched a bit of Escape to Victory when it was on over Xmas, the camp commandant played by Max Von Sydow was supposed to have been a German international footballer who played for his country in 1936, he was about 60 years old in that film.

The White Cockade

don't get the seethe over Braveheart

of course it's nowhere near 100% accurate

it's a film not a documentary

No movie can be 100% accurate

it's about entertainment

but some people seem to want to cover up the fact that Scotland and England were enemies for some reason

Wallace and the Bruce did fight the English who wanted to conquer Scotland

the English did have Wallace hanged, drawn and quartered

Those are facts

things like "the walking dead" or other progs where civilisation has crashed...

Where do they get the ammunition to keep firing on automatic for minutes on end without reloading?

Where do they get their fuel? You never see them making new stuff.. Petrol/diesel is hydroscopic, ie it attracts water. just a few drops of water are enough to ruin a tank of fuel.. If mixed with FRESH fuel it can last a couple of years but half a tank of unleaded (as often found in abandoned cars in these types of progs) will be unusable within 2-6 months.. This really pisses me off when i see it in films now (didnt bother me before I read it).. I realise I may have issues...

jamboinglasgow

don't get the seethe over Braveheart

of course it's nowhere near 100% accurate

it's a film not a documentary

No movie can be 100% accurate

it's about entertainment

but some people seem to want to cover up the fact that Scotland and England were enemies for some reason

Wallace and the Bruce did fight the English who wanted to conquer Scotland

the English did have Wallace hanged, drawn and quartered

Those are facts

Of course it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I like Gladiator even though they take liberties on Commodus. But at least has some accuracy. Braveheart (as one of my history lecturers at uni put it) got one thing right, there was a person called William Wallace. As I said earlier a lot of it is laziness. Why take what history says when we change it completely and just make up a story about a guy who shares the same surname as the writer (which is literately the reason the writer of Braveheart wrote the screenplay.)

But your last bit is the reason why films like Braveheart being inaccurate is a problem, its the only major film that covers a big, complicated and important time of Scotland. So many people will get view on history, use it to back up their political ideals and even can undermine our ancestors. If there was a few films which covered the period then it wouldn't be a problem but its an insult to Scottish history.

jambos are go!

On TV Rebus is a rabid Hibs Supporter. IIRC in the books I read he is a Hearts man though not a fanatic

On TV Rebus is a rabid Hibs Supporter. IIRC in the books I read he is a Hearts man though not a fanatic

With sympathies to his hometown team of Cowdenbeath. The rabid Hibs fan is Siobhan, who, in the TV show is almost made to be a bit ditzy. She's absolute opposite in the books.

There were that many inaccuracies with the Ken Stott ones, I stopped watching them.

Of course it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I like Gladiator even though they take liberties on Commodus. But at least has some accuracy. Braveheart (as one of my history lecturers at uni put it) got one thing right, there was a person called William Wallace. As I said earlier a lot of it is laziness. Why take what history says when we change it completely and just make up a story about a guy who shares the same surname as the writer (which is literately the reason the writer of Braveheart wrote the screenplay.)

But your last bit is the reason why films like Braveheart being inaccurate is a problem, its the only major film that covers a big, complicated and important time of Scotland. So many people will get view on history, use it to back up their political ideals and even can undermine our ancestors. If there was a few films which covered the period then it wouldn't be a problem but its an insult to Scottish history.

Thing is, there`s been much debate on here about the bible and how accurate it can be. Same with anything that happened in the last 4, 5 hundred years and longer in history.....how accurate are the history books really?  

Through time things are unintentionally exaggerated or stories get twisted or mixed up from the moment these events happened and they are put down on black and white.

Every one of us take the word of history books because if you aren`t around when it happened what do you believe? what can you prove or disprove? 

PS just a point, not trying to start a different debate on this thread.....:)

Any time darts is featured on a yank TV show.

Silly buggers think that hitting the bullseye is the main aim of the game.

Any time darts is featured on a yank TV show.

Silly buggers think that hitting the bullseye is the main aim of the game.

As soft tip darts is quite popular there, with a whole Bullseye often gone for (due to no 25) its actually quite an accurate representation.

1960s war films where the Germans drive about in American tanks and half tracks. I like pointing out inaccuracies to my wife. It gets right up her nose.

Good guy escapes prison. Kills bad guy with pistol. Moves on neglecting to pick up bad guys fully automatic thundergun.

When he does pick it up he doesn't spend an extra three seconds ransacking body for extra ammo.

Best just to run dragging the sexy reporter caught up in this war with you hand in hand. Perhaps pause for extra long kiss whilst being pursued by bad guy commander in his mofokilldestructo tank.

As for TV.

Despite practically living in pubs no one ever downs their drink when given message that someone is looking for them.

They just get up and leave??

Ricardo Shillyshally

Whenever I need my washing machine fixed the plumber never has a tool big enough for the job,......But in films...

Polar Express. A train goes onto an ice lake and the ice holds fine, but a hair pin gets dropped on the ice and suddenly cracks begin to appear. :)

Apart from maybe in the odd comedy, no one farts.

I'll tell you something - it's no feckin comedy when Mrs Morgan farts.

But, I digress.

I hate, absolutely ****ing hate when they fake phone calls on TV shows. We all know how mobile phones work - the screen is on when you dial the number, turns off when you hold it near your ear, and comes back on when you remove it from your ear. So why, why, why do shows continue to insist on having phonecalls where the screen is either always on, or always off having a fake phone call? Every single man, woman, child and their dogs have mobile phones so why not just set up a call between 2 people on the set for realism? It does my box in because it's every single time.

Also, I hate when cups or boxes or things are quite obviously empty. If you're in a scene where you're pretending to drink a takeaway coffee, why don't they just fill the cup with water, just to give it some weight and then the actor can actually take a drink instead of pretending?

Archived