How Scotland compares to the rest of Europe

Chaps

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The uk is not a continent

No shit?

Your last three posts still don't make any sense though.

No shit?

Don't really know what your on about .

I believe this is a post about

How Scotland compares to the rest of Europe !

So as I said we are S****,

And if we leave the eu

Which I hope we do

We may not be viable to play in the europa league or any European games

There , hope that's sorted ,

Have a good evening

The uk is not a continent

No shit?

I believe you thought the uk was a continent ?

I believe you thought the uk was a continent ?

I'm wrong of course and you are correct !!

And if we leave the eu

Which I hope we do

Have a good evening

You know that the EU and the continent of Europe are different, right?

...a bit disco

And if we leave the eu

Which I hope we do

Have a good evening

Israel IS NOT part of the EU.

Care to explain?

anyhoo the uk is NOT a continent.

What makes you think we won't be able to play games in Europe?

What makes you think Scotland won't be in Europe soon?

...a bit disco

Switzerland

Turkey

Norway

Russia

UEFA members aren't all in the EU

Exactly.

Australia at Eurovision?

Go figure, eh?

...a bit disco

Is this not " how Scotlandcompares to the rest of Europe " post??

We're. Sh***

'We may not be viable to play in the europa league or any European games.'

Your words. :thumbsup:

'We may not be viable to play in the europa league or any European games.'

Your words. :thumbsup:

yip we may not .

...a bit disco

yes it is big man

He's not that big.

Or clever.

...a bit disco

yip we may not .

We will.

Using my previous example, if Israel can play in European competition,then so can we.

Bazzas right boot

And if we leave the eu

Which I hope we do

Have a good evening

You need to have a re think.

PeterintheRain

Israel is NOT European .

They're not but had special dispensation because nobody else would have them.  Imagine South Africa still had apartheid while playing in the ANC (the other one).   Probably helped by a few bribes from their old friends in the USA to smooth matters.

Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan both (try to) play in the Euros and their teams are eligible for the Champions League and Europa League. Neither of these countries are anywhere remotely near the EU, so whatever point you're currently making a complete mess of has obviously escaped you.

Getting rid of Doncaster and Regan would be a start, but merging the SFA and SPFL into one body and moving it outside Glasgow would be what I think is the solution.

The replacement governing body should be one that is on board with fans, by wanting to give us an exciting and fair league. It'd take time, but a complete revamp is needed as the current setup is full of deadwood.

I see an Uglies' veto!!!

The BBC grievance is one for the dull minded, which makes it all the more surprising that some of the more intelligent on here fall for it.

Rough figures, if Scottish license payers raise ?300 million per year then the BBC must have about ?3 billion to spend per year.

Barring some local programming we get equal access to all that output. There is no underhand London plot to syphon off Scottish treasure through a sneaky tv tax.

If an independent SBC had to reproduce that output with only ?300 million I think it can be guaranteed that their first act would not be to give Scottish football an extra few million.

The BBC grievance is one for the dull minded, which makes it all the more surprising that some of the more intelligent on here fall for it.

Rough figures, if Scottish license payers raise ?300 million per year then the BBC must have about ?3 billion to spend per year.

Barring some local programming we get equal access to all that output. There is no underhand London plot to syphon off Scottish treasure through a sneaky tv tax.

If an independent SBC had to reproduce that output with only ?300 million I think it can be guaranteed that their first act would not be to give Scottish football an extra few million.

The BBC's budget in 2014 was ?5 billion. ?3.7 billion from licence fees and ?1.3 billion from commercial income.

The  BBC Scotland budget was 86 million.

This funding is rather less than 300 million and possibly explains the reason why so little money is spent on 1) Scottish Football broadcasting rights and 2) the programs themselves (which on both TV and Radio are embarassingly bad), by BBC Scotland.

EIRE paid the BBC around ?20-odd million in 2014 for access to their programs.

Allowing a generous ?50 million for radio stations/programs, that would still afford an SBC, if such a thing existed, a lot of money to spend on programs and sporting rights.

That said, I don't necessarily blame Sky, BT or the BBC for the relatively paltry sums spent on Scottish Football - as I've argued already, we make it easy for them by talking down our game and selling it short.

Bazzas right boot

The BBC's budget in 2014 was ?5 billion. ?3.7 billion from licence fees and ?1.3 billion from commercial income.

The BBC Scotland budget was 86 million.

This funding is rather less than 300 million and possibly explains the reason why so little money is spent on 1) Scottish Football broadcasting rights and 2) the programs themselves (which on both TV and Radio are embarassingly bad), by BBC Scotland.

Allowing a generous ?50 million for radio stations/programs, that would still afford an SBC, if such a thing existed, a lot of money to spend on programs and sporting rights.

That said, I don't necessarily blame Sky, BT or the BBC for the relatively paltry sums spent on Scottish Football - as I've argued already, we make it easy for them by talking down our game and selling it short.

Great info, I'm surprised people still believe this myth that we are too small and poor, not only with television, but in general.

The  BBC Scotland budget was 86 million.

I fully agree with your last paragraph.

RoI/NI have their own political issues that meant an agreement to allow cross border viewing was arrived at when the signal changed to digital. They still need a cable or satellite subscription to get BBC "free" in RoI as I understand it and don't get the iplayer, website etc.

Huge leap of faith that we can have the same level of output with money left over.

Quality tv involves economies of scale, hence why sportscene and river city are crap.

If we want the BBC to spend more on Scottish productions we have to make more programmes that appeal to the whole network but that brings us right back to the issue of why Scottish football has such a low tv value.

Apart from wildlife docs and Scottish football, I don't think there's anything I regularly watch on the BBC. I'd sooner they paid more money for Scottish football and the they can keep the rest frankly.

And if we leave the eu

Which I hope we do

Have a good evening

Gibraltar, Malta, San Marino, Russia to name a few not in the eu but play in Uefa competitions. Not forgetting Israel.

Thank **** we get Eastenders though. That's not utterly depressing and about as interesting and enjoyable to me as getting repeatedly smashed in the knackers with a kayak paddle.

Thank **** we get Eastenders though. That's not utterly depressing and about as interesting and enjoyable to me as getting repeatedly smashed in the knackers with a kayak paddle.

How Scotland compares to the rest of Europe. 

Not about Scottish independence and state broadcasters.

How Scotland compares to the rest of Europe.

Not about Scottish independence and state broadcasters.

Yes, however, the two are linked. Other similar sized countries get a decent wedge from their national broadcasters. We get a pittance because we are a region of a country where the EPL comes from.

Great info, I'm surprised people still believe this myth that we are too small and poor, not only with television, but in general.

Did you read the report that this thread is about? 

Yes, however, the two are linked. Other similar sized countries get a decent wedge from their national broadcasters. We get a pittance because we are a region of a country where the EPL comes from.

You obviously have not read the report. And if you have, then you have not understood it.

Archived