Man Diet- weight loss special

doctor jambo

So, now 40+ , prior to Xmas blood sugars creeping towards "pre-diabetic", BP getting a bit borderline and BMI too high. Decided to shed the pounds.

Really sedentary lifestyle and thrown on weight since quit smoking (properly this time)

Decided to go on a three month VLCD ( very low calorie diet)  800 calories a day from Dec 1st

Dec 1st weight 88kg

No change in exercise regime ( the plan is shed the weight then eat more but exercise as  I was in no condition to exercise frankly)

6 weeks in ( with some increase over Xmas obviously)

Now BP reduced by 20 systolic

fasting sugars down 25 %

weight is now 78kg

feels great!

Anyone else done this- tons of research showing these diets can reverse diabetes, but take effort- its taken no effort - after 1st week not even hungry

Terrible way to lose weight.

I lost weight quickly before and tbh I looked gaunt, I'll and skinny.

Get to the gym, eat 200-300 calories less than your body needs and stop torturing Yourself.

From Experience it isn't worth it.

And you will most likely put it back on when you eventually start eating normally.

Less calories = weight loss. Startling revelations.

Yet the number who cannot do it is amazing

I was startled at how easy it was,

From dealing with patients and listening to staff- all female right enough- it was a "nightmare" hard to shift the weight

it hasn't been

800 calories a day though what exactly do you eat for it to only be that ?

It varies

1 micro waved meal at night- they have the calories on them- usually 400 Kcal

no milk in my coffee

stopped beer and wine- G&slimline T for me

couple of G&T's at night

1 bag of crisps at night ( always my weakness)

And that's it.

Yet the number who cannot do it is amazing

I was startled at how easy it was,

From dealing with patients and listening to staff- all female right enough- it was a "nightmare" hard to shift the weight

it hasn't been

Is it sustainable though

Rudolf's Mate

Mrs went on that Slimming World a few years back. Typically anything she goes on I end up doing unless I want to cook my own food!

Eat healthily and what I couldn't get my head round was you could eat as much of the foods you wanted! I was stuffed but I lost shit loads of weight. Felt great and healthy and would recommend it to anyone.

So, now 40+ , prior to Xmas blood sugars creeping towards "pre-diabetic", BP getting a bit borderline and BMI too high. Decided to shed the pounds.

Really sedentary lifestyle and thrown on weight since quit smoking (properly this time)

Decided to go on a three month VLCD ( very low calorie diet)  800 calories a day from Dec 1st

Dec 1st weight 88kg

No change in exercise regime ( the plan is shed the weight then eat more but exercise as  I was in no condition to exercise frankly)

6 weeks in ( with some increase over Xmas obviously)

Now BP reduced by 20 systolic

fasting sugars down 25 %

weight is now 78kg

feels great!

Anyone else done this- tons of research showing these diets can reverse diabetes, but take effort- its taken no effort - after 1st week not even hungry

I did this and believe it caused shingles and post viral fatigue.12 months from hell.

Mrs went on that Slimming World a few years back. Typically anything she goes on I end up doing unless I want to cook my own food!

Eat healthily and what I couldn't get my head round was you could eat as much of the foods you wanted! I was stuffed but I lost shit loads of weight. Felt great and healthy and would recommend it to anyone.

Wife just started it.I lost 6lbs first week im the same as you if the wife makes it i will eat it.Eat the free stuff all day then have a small mars(you need to eat your points) with a cup of tea before i start work at night.

Eat healthily and what I couldn't get my head round was you could eat as much of the foods you wanted! I was stuffed but I lost shit loads of weight. 

Whoever told you that is talking bollocks. Eat enough of anything and you will gain weight.

Is it sustainable though

Its not to be sustainable- its three months to return my "parameters" to normal - I was bordering on pre-diabetic .

After the maximum 3 months I will increase to 1800 Kcal a day or so and monitor my weight, sugars and BP

Xmas day I ate "normally" and could barely move

It varies

1 micro waved meal at night- they have the calories on them- usually 400 Kcal

no milk in my coffee

stopped beer and wine- G&slimline T for me

couple of G&T's at night

1 bag of crisps at night ( always my weakness)

And that's it.

Microwave meals, crisps.. :cornette:

Sorry doc... Are you a real doctor?

I am not trying to be rude but this isn't a sustainable diet if you value your health. If you keep this up you will lose weight but you will feel like shit and damage your health in the long term.

Why don't you do something more sensible and eat a balanced diet, get out and excercise and feel great in the process?

Салатные палочки

Some of their recipes are good to be fair.  My old dear does it and when I was up visiting last week she made Cajun chicken pasta.  Big heaped bowl, zero "syns" apparently.  I asked what the sauce was she used, she said its cheese.  Aye right?  Buy yes, there is was, a tub of Kerry Low cheese.  Made it on Monday this week it was that good.  

Whoever told you that is talking bollocks. Eat enough of anything and you will gain weight.

Your eating more as it more healthy less fat and sugar but the calories are less.Instead of filling up on shite i have a blt in the morning then healthy dinner yogurt and mars as a snack and plenty water and im never hungry now.

Oh and fruit as well

Wife just started it.I lost 6lbs first week im the same as you if the wife makes it i will eat it.Eat the free stuff all day then have a small mars(you need to eat your points) with a cup of tea before i start work at night.

You wouldn't have lost 6lb of body fat what is the important part. Scales are incredibly unreliable and should be used as a guide.

You Most probably lost water weight and the time day you weigh yourself can vary massively.

Microwave meals, crisps.. :cornette:

Sorry doc... Are you a real doctor?

I am not trying to be rude but this isn't a sustainable diet if you value your health. If you keep this up you will lose weight but you will feel like shit and damage your health in the long term.

Why don't you do something more sensible and eat a balanced diet, get out and excercise and feel great in the process?

That me though!

I love junk food.

I was in no shape to exercise too feckin fat

To avoid the "hidden calories" yes the meals are microwaved- I consume nothing that I don't know the exact calorie content.

It is not sustainable but I needed to shift the bulk, then will, as mentioned increase to 1800 cal or so per day + exercise more

BUt at present Ive lost 10 kg , feel terrific, clothes feel great on and I'm back in stuff I wore years ago- my t-shirts have got longer.

getting an exercise bike too as I now feel motivated and well

You wouldn't have lost 6lb of body fat what is the important part. Scales are incredibly unreliable and should be used as a guide.

You Most probably lost water weight and the time day you weigh yourself can vary massively.

No idea mate to be honest im not a nutritionist.Im eating less and more helthy now is all i know and im not hungry now i have cut out the shit.More energy as well.Its pretty much common sense really.

Should also say that on a VLCD you reduce the fat that is built up in the liver and pancreas, and even after resuming "normal" diet those gains are sustained at 12 months

I kind of do shake my head at all the faddy stuff out there....

eat less + exercise more

calorie counting works

Your eating more as it more healthy less fat and sugar but the calories are less.Instead of filling up on shite i have a blt in the morning then healthy dinner yogurt and mars as a snack and plenty water and im never hungry now.

Oh and fruit as well

I don't doubt it. But if you wanted to eat huge amounts the calories will still add up and you'll still put on weight, regardless of what the fat and sugar content is.

Should also say that on a VLCD you reduce the fat that is built up in the liver and pancreas, and even after resuming "normal" diet those gains are sustained at 12 months

I kind of do shake my head at all the faddy stuff out there....

eat less + exercise more

calorie counting works

Listen if it is working for you then bash on. But I would stop the microwaved junk, try and get something high in protein to try and avoid the muscle wasting which will be happening at an alarming rate.

And once you are finished I would recommend taking it easy with with fiber as your guts will regret it.

Hope your supplementing with a good multivitamin.

I don't doubt it. But if you wanted to eat huge amounts the calories will still add up and you'll still put on weight, regardless of what the fat and sugar content is.

Yeah i know but you end up eating less calories,they say eat as much as you want but your more fuller so you never do eat in excess.

Say What Again

I had a bout of pouchitis around December 28th until, say, Monday just there.

8 pounds lost in a week and a half. Nae bother :lol:

Rudolf's Mate

You're a right cheery soul so you are Ray.

Nobody told me. The Mrs started me on it over 3 years ago and told me what I could and couldn't eat along with my allowances for milk etc. Whenever I got hungry I would have a snack, which was fairly often however in the first week I lost 8lbs and continued with around 3-4 on a weekly basis. It got to the point that I had to start adding things like treats because I was losing too much weight. 

Like you I totally scoffed at the notion. Don't get me wrong but someone that eats silly amounts might well struggle however I snack a lot and I found that if you follow it, even with the snacks you lose. 

Not sustainable is the biggy here for me, as with any faddy diet.

I go to Slimming World. Have been doing for about 3 months. Ive lost just over a stone and looking to lose 2/3 more. It all takes time. All it involves is cutting out a few things completely and adding loads of veg to your plate. Cut down the sugar. Cut down the bevvy. Walk a wee bit faster and a wee bit more often. All perfectly do-able long term

800 calories a day. Nut sorry. That cant be healthy and it cant be done long term.

Whacked on 5lb over Xmas, eating and drinking as I pleased.

Cut out the shite and controlling what I eat (up to 1,800 calories a day) and I'm down 3lb in the first week. Aiming to get 8lb in total off then I'll sustain it there...until next Xmas :lol:

A typical day is porridge for breakfast, soup with a roll and an apple at lunch time and a decent dinner. I'll have a wee bit of chocolate at night.

Jobs a good un.

PS - **** doing 800 a day, 1,800 is bad enough!

I'd always been a bit of a fatboy until 2013 when I decided enough was enough and started looking after myself, best thing I ever did. I guess I'm lucky as I found it easy, just try to have a good diet through the week (no processed sugar, fatty foods,beer etc.- plenty fruit & veg and loads of water) along with an active lifestyle. Maybe have a meal out or a few beers at the weekend as a well earned treat. It doesn't take long to reap the rewards when clothes start fitting better and you realise how much better you feel just by treating your body properly !

Christ that's a bad way to lose weight.

Double your calorie intake, 1600 is much more manageable and much more healthy. 2000 would be even better.

Only drink water.

Avoid sugar at all costs.

Without exercising that should be more than enough

Crashing your diet won't work in the long run, regardless of the results you get in the short term. You will look and feel ill and by the end of it, you will feel the need to put more weight on, which can then be even more difficult in losing it as your stomach has shrunk and you will feel terrible trying to get the calories down you.

Going to the gym after it will be even more difficult than going when fat. Your energy levels will be non-existent and your muscle mass will have taken a huge hit and you will feel incredibly weak on top of having no energy to do anything about it.

You are correct in that losing weight is very easy but it needs to be done in a long term sustainable and healthy way. I'd recommend that on diet alone, you shouldn't be aiming to lose on average 1 pound a week over the course of the your weight loss.

Not sustainable is the biggy here for me, as with any faddy diet.

I go to Slimming World. Have been doing for about 3 months. Ive lost just over a stone and looking to lose 2/3 more. It all takes time. All it involves is cutting out a few things completely and adding loads of veg to your plate. Cut down the sugar. Cut down the bevvy. Walk a wee bit faster and a wee bit more often. All perfectly do-able long term

800 calories a day. Nut sorry. That cant be healthy and it cant be done long term.

I didn't say it was long term

its  max 3 months

Not even half way through

its going well

it suits me

I did it because of the benefits re blood sugar- the improvements have been amazing

Whacked on 5lb over Xmas, eating and drinking as I pleased.

Cut out the shite and controlling what I eat (up to 1,800 calories a day) and I'm down 3lb in the first week. Aiming to get 8lb in total off then I'll sustain it there...until next Xmas :lol:

A typical day is porridge for breakfast, soup with a roll and an apple at lunch time and a decent dinner. I'll have a wee bit of chocolate at night.

Jobs a good un.

PS - **** doing 800 a day, 1,800 is bad enough!

I'm actually almost identical .... just minus the roll at lunchtime ya fat bassa! :innocent: 

Should also state that before this I felt really crappy, bloated, tired and listless- I have more energy now and my tendonitis has gone ( less weight= less strain)

Re the muscle mass- not so sure about that - its all coming pretty much off my waist ( I always carry round the middle)

my love handles and gut are pulling in rapidly ( and I've probably dropped a cup size :uhoh2: )

It's all just maths innit. You exert more than you put in and you'll lose weight. 

Everything in moderation with exercise is definitely the best way to go. My best diets in the past have been when I've stuck to a diet like hmfc_liam06 and gone to the gym 3-4 times a week. As soon as you set a routine it's easy.

My personal problem is as soon as a I fall out of routine for a day or so I completely scupper myself. I also stress eat like a bitch and work in a pretty stressful profession. 

Had a terrible December food-wise though so should probably get back on it...

Word of caution- one day I decided my 800 cals would be entirely salt and vinegar square crisps.

I didn't feel good that night

I'm actually almost identical .... just minus the roll at lunchtime ya fat bassa! :innocent:

Haha it's just a wholemeal roll for dipping in the soup, honest!

I think we can rule out doctor jambo being a real doctor.

Because I'm a real person with flaws?

That's right because you've never seen an overweight Dr right?

Or nurse- they are all health freak tri-athletes

I like KFC, McD's Chinese and INdian food

I love noodles

I like drinking

I smoked up until 18 months or so ago.

I don't exercise enough

-

I am however really happy to tell others what to do!

but being flawed really helps with what I do

It's all just maths innit. You exert more than you put in and you'll lose weight. 

Everything in moderation with exercise is definitely the best way to go. My best diets in the past have been when I've stuck to a diet like hmfc_liam06 and gone to the gym 3-4 times a week. As soon as you set a routine it's easy.

My personal problem is as soon as a I fall out of routine for a day or so I completely scupper myself. I also stress eat like a bitch and work in a pretty stressful profession. 

Had a terrible December food-wise though so should probably get back on it...

I definitely don't exercise enough, it's difficult to do so through the week as I have the wee one to look after at night while the Mrs is on back shift. Get home at 6pm, spend some time with the kid, get her ready for bed and it's 8pm before I've sat down and then obviously I can't get out for a run or the gym once she's in bed.

I'll have a couple rounds of golf at the weekend and I'll go for a 2 mile walk on my lunch break.

My missus goes to SW. The curry and asian recipe books are amazingly good and very low in fat. I cook from them nearly every day. Wife has lost a stone and my daughter half a stone (I'm a different story tho :-(  ).

Started watching what I eat from New Years Day, 7lbs down in total so far. Started going for a brisk 3km walk three times a week, and a longer hike somewhere hilly at the weekends. Feel great for it so far, and never ate so many good home cooked meals before. 

I've tried fad diets before, worked well for a while, but easy to fall off the wagon.

This time I'm going for a more sensible approach. Eating as cleanly as possible, cutting out as much processed food as I can. Fairly easy so far, and seems the most sustainable way of eating I have done.

Rudolf's Mate

My missus goes to SW. The curry and asian recipe books are amazingly good and very low in fat. I cook from them nearly every day. Wife has lost a stone and my daughter half a stone (I'm a different story tho :-( ).

Admittedly you need to be pretty organised if you're going to stick to it. We came off it a couple of times and one of the times I tried doing a more relaxed version [emoji23] Needless to say I struggled to lose anything.

Re the whole unhealthy thing

Pre diet-

fasting blood sugar was 5.9 (borderline impaired glucose tolerance)

systolic BP 140

resting pulse 80

weight 88 kg

after approx. 6 weeks

fasting blood sugar (today) 4.4

systolic BP (2 mins ago ) 112

resting pulse  55

weight 78kg

Granted I have not measured any other blood parameters re health  but Ive also lost 3 inches off my waist

So after 6 weeks physiologically I have reversed years of overwork and childcare, my insulin resistance has vanished, my heart is under less strain and I've (theoretically ) reduced my risk of heart attack and stroke significantly ( though I have not done my scoring as I've not checked my cholesterol- but I suspect my ratios have improved and my trig levels will have fallen) just through the BP drop alone

Because I'm a real person with flaws?

That's right because you've never seen an overweight Dr right?

Or nurse- they are all health freak tri-athletes

I like KFC, McD's Chinese and INdian food

I love noodles

I like drinking

I smoked up until 18 months or so ago.

I don't exercise enough

-

I am however really happy to tell others what to do!

but being flawed really helps with what I do

You are an actual doctor? :muggy:

Practice what you preach and all that. I bet you wouldn't recommend the absurd diet you are following to anyone...

You are an actual doctor? :muggy:

Practice what you preach and all that. I bet you wouldn't recommend the absurd diet you are following to anyone...

Not in the form I'm doing it, no.

But VLCD can reverse and "cure" type 2 diabetes

it was reading up on it that led me to this

it provides a select group of patients with "new" diabetes  to avoid  a lifetime of meds, health problems and premature death.

I  was heading that way and wanted to see if it was true- and monitored my own parameters

It works - beautifully

And I work in an area of deprivation

So there would be little point in me recommending a diet of green juicing, leaf vegetables and high protein tuna steaks with steamed wild rice

This can be done on micro meals, beef Monster Much and diet Irn Bru XL with some alcohol consumption using diet mixers.

This can be done on micro meals, beef Monster Much and diet Irn Bru XL with some alcohol consumption using diet mixers.

:lol:

I definitely don't exercise enough, it's difficult to do so through the week as I have the wee one to look after at night while the Mrs is on back shift. Get home at 6pm, spend some time with the kid, get her ready for bed and it's 8pm before I've sat down and then obviously I can't get out for a run or the gym once she's in bed.

I'll have a couple rounds of golf at the weekend and I'll go for a 2 mile walk on my lunch break.

That's the trouble with life unfortunately. Gets in the way!

I'm lucky enough to have a gym near where I work so if I get my lazy arse out of bed early enough I can go before starting.

Not in the form I'm doing it, no.

But VLCD can reverse and "cure" type 2 diabetes

it was reading up on it that led me to this

it provides a select group of patients with "new" diabetes to avoid a lifetime of meds, health problems and premature death.

I was heading that way and wanted to see if it was true- and monitored my own parameters

It works - beautifully

And I work in an area of deprivation

So there would be little point in me recommending a diet of green juicing, leaf vegetables and high protein tuna steaks with steamed wild rice

And what about malnutrition, muscle waste, Nausea, risk of gout, constipation, vitamin deficiency, high salt levels from your awful microwave meals, electrolyte unbalances, fatigue, dizziness, risk of Heart problems in the future, risk of Anaemia...

And when you eventually do go back to a more sensible way of eating the weight will slowly Creep back On Because. Instead of choosing to change the way you live your life you have instead chosen A short cut.

Laziness, no patience and what is wrong with British society I Am Afraid.

Captain America

Wife has been doing SW for a year, she lost 4 stone and was woman of the year in her group. I tried it but couldn't stick to it. 

Now just trying to eat healthier and on my breaks at work, walking round the building. Exercise Bike at night.

Re the whole unhealthy thing

Pre diet-

fasting blood sugar was 5.9 (borderline impaired glucose tolerance)

systolic BP 140

resting pulse 80

weight 88 kg

Fasting blood sugar (last check-up) was 6.2 have been pre-diabetic for at least 5 years now (6.8 was the highest), but non symptomatic.

BP (as of 10 mins ago) - 142/78

Resting pulse - 64

Cholesterol - 3.2 (last check up)

ALT (last check up) - 34

Weight - 95kg, way too high

Exercise - Not nearly enough

Calorie Intake - Probably around 2000/2500 calories per day.

I need to up my exercise and that is my goal for this year, the weight will drop if I can up the amount that I'm able to do.

Archived