Melbourne/Victoria

hmfc_liam06

Heading out to Australia for 2 weeks this November. I know there are a few Aussie based members here, Melbourne in particular.

Any advice on things to do, places to go? Any hidden gems?

I've already got the Melbourne Cup planned. Will be travelling with a 3 year old so will mostly be doing child friendly things. Will have a hire car so travelling a bit out-with Melbourne is fine.

All advice appreciated :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the flight with a 3 year old in tow...

Watching the fairy penguins swim ashore after a day at sea feeding was a highlight of Australia for me.

Where about was that? Sounds like something the wee one would love.

The other obvious place is the Great Ocean Road.

Torquay beach down to Otway National Park is a stunning drive.

Nice one :thumbsup:

zoltan socrates

Neighbours tour

Train to glen waverley then a 2 mile walk, massive shopping centre on the way, biggest in southern hemisphere i believe, well it was in 97

Healesville animal sanctuary is well worth a visit, particularly with kids. Added bonus for the adults is it is slap bang in the middle of wine country with loads of wineries and boutique breweries to check out.

Puffing Billy steam train is another decent day out and always a hit with little ones.

Another shout for Geelong, Torquay, Bell's Beach and the Great Ocean Road. Lots to see and do there.

Sovereign Hill gold mining museum in Ballarat is worth the trip too.

Weather should be starting to pick up round about then too. You'll have a blast.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Train to glen waverley then a 2 mile walk, massive shopping centre on the way, biggest in southern hemisphere i believe, well it was in 97

The Glen is big but it isn't Chadstone. PS Avoid Chadstone unless you are a shopaholic. Think the Metro in Gateshead and double it.

I used to live a few streets away from the real Ramsey St (Pin Oak Court, Vermont South). It's actually quite small.

Do this instead. http://www.melbournesportstours.com.au

Healesville animal sanctuary is well worth a visit, particularly with kids. Added bonus for the adults is it is slap bang in the middle of wine country with loads of wineries and boutique breweries to check out.

Puffing Billy steam train is another decent day out and always a hit with little ones.

Another shout for Geelong, Torquay, Bell's Beach and the Great Ocean Road. Lots to see and do there.

Sovereign Hill gold mining museum in Ballarat is worth the trip too.

Weather should be starting to pick up round about then too. You'll have a blast.

I'm actually going to be staying in Geelong. My sister moved to Oz last year and has not long moved to Victoria, she's expecting so we're going out to see them both. She's not really had any time to explore the area so these shouts are very welcome!

zoltan socrates

The Glen is big but it isn't Chadstone. PS Avoid Chadstone unless you are a shopaholic. Think the Metro in Gateshead and double it.

I used to live a few streets away from the real Ramsey St (Pin Oak Court, Vermont South). It's actually quite small.

Do this instead. http://www.melbournesportstours.com.au

Whats the one in the city with the glass pyramid roof and the big clock in the atrium?

Yarra Valley wine district. Lunch at the Chandon winery. Same day, visit Healsville sanctuary - go early and book a couple of close encounters with the animals.

Whats the one in the city with the glass pyramid roof and the big clock in the atrium?

The Emporium?

Cheers for all the suggestions.

Another thing, I've been looking at visitor visas. Is it the Visitor Visa Subclass 600 visa that is required or the eVisitor Sibclass 651? And can you add the family to one application? 

Just came back in December, had a great time.......Go for the e-visitor visa. I think theyre free. I printed off all the paperwork but didnt need it as the visa details are added to your passport.

Flew from Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi 7 hours ,not bad.....14 more hours to Oz, bit of a trek.............Take some whisky for the bairn  :2thumbsup:

If youre hiring a car, they drive on our side of the road, you must do the Great Ocean Road. Enjoy

Geoff Kilpatrick

Melbourne Central with the Shot Tower and the Waltzing Matilda clock?

Just came back in December, had a great time.......Go for the e-visitor visa. I think theyre free. I printed off all the paperwork but didnt need it as the visa details are added to your passport.

Flew from Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi 7 hours ,not bad.....14 more hours to Oz, bit of a trek.............Take some whisky for the bairn  :2thumbsup:

If youre hiring a car, they drive on our side of the road, you must do the Great Ocean Road. Enjoy

Cheers. I think I read for the e-visitor you need to complete one per person rather than just having one for the entire family? Is that right?

Also, that seems like the same flight we have, Qatar? We're definitely hiring a car and the Great Ocean Road is on the list :thumbsup:

I'm currently in guangzhou awaiting my flight home from Melbourne. Just had a cracking couple of weeks. Definitely do Philip island and give yourself a whole day at least as you can meet koalas, watch seals, watch penguins marching ashore, do a chocolate factory or brewery tour etc. I would go to St Kilda and have a few beers down near the beach. Such an amazing sporting city. I watched one of the best matches I've seen in a while when melbourne victory played brisbane roar last night. Watched some brilliant cricket at both the MCG and the etihad docklands arena even though I wasn't really a huge fan before. I visited where the tennis open will be held from next week although just missed it and there are also Olympic, horse racing and formula 1 tracks! I took a couple of days in Sydney too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm currently in guangzhou awaiting my flight home from Melbourne. Just had a cracking couple of weeks. Definitely do Philip island and give yourself a whole day at least as you can meet koalas, watch seals, watch penguins marching ashore, do a chocolate factory or brewery tour etc. I would go to St Kilda and have a few beers down near the beach. Such an amazing sporting city. I watched one of the best matches I've seen in a while when melbourne victory played brisbane roar last night. Watched some brilliant cricket at both the MCG and the etihad docklands arena even though I wasn't really a huge fan before. I visited where the tennis open will be held from next week although just missed it and there are also Olympic, horse racing and formula 1 tracks! I took a couple of days in Sydney too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice one! We'll be in Melbourne when the Melbourne Cup is on so tickets will be purchased for that! Will also be taking in a football  match while we're there.

re your e visa. I did the application months ago but yes I think you do it seperately........it only takes minutes.

We hired a car and drove the Great Ocean Road. Stayed overnight night at Apollo Bay, then onwards to the Grampian Mountains. Well worth it, but maybe not with a youngster. Best thing I could suggest is.........if you know someone there,is to get them to organise a timetable eg. On Monday, we see/ do this. On Tuesday go here/go there.

Our Daughter had it all organised and it saved a lot of time and trouble thinking what to do and where to go.

re your e visa. I did the application months ago but yes I think you do it seperately........it only takes minutes.

We hired a car and drove the Great Ocean Road. Stayed overnight night at Apollo Bay, then onwards to the Grampian Mountains. Well worth it, but maybe not with a youngster. Best thing I could suggest is.........if you know someone there,is to get them to organise a timetable eg. On Monday, we see/ do this. On Tuesday go here/go there.

Our Daughter had it all organised and it saved a lot of time and trouble thinking what to do and where to go.

My sis has done a bit so she'll no doubt have some things organised. Will definitely spend a day on the Great Ocean Road.

Bungalow Bill

I'm actually going to be staying in Geelong. My sister moved to Oz last year and has not long moved to Victoria, she's expecting so we're going out to see them both. She's not really had any time to explore the area so these shouts are very welcome!

Perfect for getting on to the Great Ocean Road, my family live in Geelong. Take 2-3 days and drive it at your leisure. Maybe stop for the night in Apollo Bay and Warrnambool.

I'm just back from 4 weeks in Australia, was in Geelong for 3 days seeing family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect for getting on to the Great Ocean Road, my family live in Geelong. Take 2-3 days and drive it at your leisure. Maybe stop for the night in Apollo Bay and Warrnambool.

I'm just back from 4 weeks in Australia, was in Geelong for 3 days seeing family.

How did you find Geelong itself? Much to do?

Bungalow Bill

There's not much to do in Geelong to be honest. Get yourself a car and explore from there. Go do the Great Ocean Road. You could also drive to Ballarat and see the old Gold town. There is also a Wildlife Park in Ballarat.

The waterfront in Geelong is nice for a coffee though.

Bungalow Bill

Have a look for flights from Melbourne Avalon, you could head to the Gold Coast or Brisbane etc for a couple of days and it wouldn't cost much.

Have a look for flights from Melbourne Avalon, you could head to the Gold Coast or Brisbane etc for a couple of days and it wouldn't cost much.

With us going out to give my sister a hand with a newborn I doubt we'll get much chance to explore as far as that - as great as it would be!

We've got a car hired so will certainly be exploring Melbourne and the surrounding areas.

Bungalow Bill

With us going out to give my sister a hand with a newborn I doubt we'll get much chance to explore as far as that - as great as it would be!

We've got a car hired so will certainly be exploring Melbourne and the surrounding areas.

Ah no bother, yeah probably best you don't fly off!

Try this place for lunch, http://www.flyingbrickciderco.com.au/cider-house.asp

If you are stuck to Melbourne then get yourself down the Mornington Peninsula.

If you are stuck to Melbourne then get yourself down the Mornington Peninsula.

Not necessarily stuck to Melbourne, will certainly be exploring the surrounding areas but don't think there'll be any scope for flying off to another city this time around.

We'll be spending a night or 2 on the GOR.

Will certainly check out the Mornington Peninsula :thumbsup:

The waterfront is cool, the yacht club is the oldest continuous sporting club in oz. The Botanics are cool and a good spot for a picnic.

If the weather is good then go to the Adventure Park, Victoria's biggest water theme park.

Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads are in Greater Geelong. Both have awesome beaches and are nice spots to visit. Jeralinga animal Sanctuary is a good family visit.

If you fancy surfing then Torquay is the place to go. Bell's Beach where the oldest pro surf comp is held. All the surf shops are in Torquay with discount outlets if you fancy stocking up on ripcurl, billabong and similar gear. Great beaches too.

Lots of amazing bush walks if you are in to that. Anakie, Brisbane Ranges national park, You Yangs. Great fishing spots as well around Geelong.

Port Arlington and St Leonard's are nice resorts with good beaches and plenty of awesome wineries to visit.

There is heaps to do in Geelong. If you haven't guessed already I now live there. If I can find some links for stuff at home later I'll post them.

The waterfront is cool, the yacht club is the oldest continuous sporting club in oz. The Botanics are cool and a good spot for a picnic.

If the weather is good then go to the Adventure Park, Victoria's biggest water theme park.

Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads are in Greater Geelong. Both have awesome beaches and are nice spots to visit. Jeralinga animal Sanctuary is a good family visit.

If you fancy surfing then Torquay is the place to go. Bell's Beach where the oldest pro surf comp is held. All the surf shops are in Torquay with discount outlets if you fancy stocking up on ripcurl, billabong and similar gear. Great beaches too.

Lots of amazing bush walks if you are in to that. Anakie, Brisbane Ranges national park, You Yangs. Great fishing spots as well around Geelong.

Port Arlington and St Leonard's are nice resorts with good beaches and plenty of awesome wineries to visit.

There is heaps to do in Geelong. If you haven't guessed already I now live there. If I can find some links for stuff at home later I'll post them.

Some great stuff, cheers Jamboz!

Archived