Ozturk - I'll remember the good times

Chaps

Been treated really poorly, same as big Alexander.

I don't think he progressed the way we hoped but the treatment of him was shocking. Happened a few times now with players. Don't like this by the club at all.

All the best Alim and thanks for the service and great memories.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
August Landmesser

You are failing to get the point. What you have described is what all other clubs do. The strategy deployed by Hearts was supposed to achieve more than that. The reason we were operating outwith transfer windows for instance was to attract players whose demands would be less - as they didn't have a club - and we would profit from that. I fail to see where we have profited in a financial sense other than paying what have turned out to be - in the main - average players less money than they had hoped to have got.

In my opinion Ozturk is a prime example of where our transfer policy has went wrong. With the right coaching and management he had all the physical attributes to be a saleable asset. If Hearts couldn't coach him how to header a fecking ball then that says more about our coaches than Alim Ozturk. He should have made us decent money if managed properly. As it is he is another one to add to the "moved along sharpish" gang. That gang seems to be getting far too many members for my liking.

Ah right, I get you now. I did miss the point a wee bit...

I see what you're saying, and maybe Alim could have been coached a bit better, but after 2.5 years here he was still letting the ball bounce - that's not purely down to bad coaching. As Mikey1874 says above, maybe they thought Souttar would be a better bet - more receptive to coaching, more likely to benefit from a mentor (Hughes)?

Maybe Alim's lack of development balances out Sow's phree munney?

Been treated really poorly, same as big Alexander.

I don't think he progressed the way we hoped but the treatment of him was shocking. Happened a few times now with players. Don't like this by the club at all.

All the best Alim and thanks for the service and great memories.

Do you not think it was Robbie oppose to the club?

On the contrary. Won a championship moved on players that wouldn't take us to the next level.

Finished 3rd, moved players on who clearly weren't working/had attitude problems.

Yes there are a couple of bad signings, but Christ for the budget we had bringing in guys of Bjorn, Djoum, Sow, Souttar, Rossi, Kitchen, Zeefuik, Ozturk, Pallardo quality is superb.

Dundee have a similar wage budget according to the last report - How has Paul Hartley spent that? Gary Harkins, Tankulic, Rory Loy, El Bak, Teijsse, Gadzhalov.

Club is still in profit albeit because of the Sow sale.

If anything I think the short term plan has worked better than we could have hoped for. It is now Cathro & McPhee's job to sustain us at this level and try build towards consistently finishing top 3 and a cup every few years.

Any expectations beyond that is pipe dreams I'm afraid.

Very good post.

Dr Ian Malcolm

So he was just supposed to accept the first offer put to him?

No, it's his prerogative, but the club equally shouldn't be giving out bigger contracts than they feel are necessary. His displays hardly merited a wage hike either. The club owes no-one a living. Ozturk began the season badly and couldn't get back in the team - just as well we didn't agree a new deal.

As for what was apparently a deserved bollocking for a shocker if performance in Perth, sounds like he's taken it a bit personally.

Interesting to see folk decrying his treatment as shocking who have no qualms with us doing the same or worse to other players they don't rate.

Sad to see him go - I very nearly bought a shirt with his name and number on the back a few days ago, but decided to wait until the end of the window to see who comes in.

Even in a decrepit old senile state, the last thing I think of before I die will be that goal :yas:

Personally, I think there is more to it than his performance in the St J game. I am not sure what, but do think he has perhaps been made a scapegoat for some reason.

Amoruso_lets_it_run

It's already been said. You're told at an early age never (if you can get something on it) let the ball bounce.

You certainly are in the UK (along with 'if in doubt kick it out' and 'never pass it across your own area') but I'm not sure these lessons are hammered home as hard in other countries

rudi must stay

Personally, I think there is more to it than his performance in the St J game. I am not sure what, but do think he has perhaps been made a scapegoat for some reason.

Been made a scapegoat because he had the audacity to ask for abit more money I think

Sad to see him go. Rossi makes the same mistakes as him every game but didn't get the same treatment.

Rossi can win a ball in the air which is kinda a prerequisite for a central defender

Sad to see him go. Rossi makes the same mistakes as him every game but didn't get the same treatment.

Rossi being left footed and heading the ball better than Ozturk probably why he started ahead

Been made a scapegoat because he had the audacity to ask for abit more money I think

Maybe he had an indiscretion and club management were right

Perish the thought eh

siegementality

Ah right, I get you now. I did miss the point a wee bit...

I see what you're saying, and maybe Alim could have been coached a bit better, but after 2.5 years here he was still letting the ball bounce - that's not purely down to bad coaching. As Mikey1874 says above, maybe they thought Souttar would be a better bet - more receptive to coaching, more likely to benefit from a mentor (Hughes)?

Maybe Alim's lack of development balances out Sow's phree munney?

As I said, missing the point.

Rossi can win a ball in the air which is kinda a prerequisite for a central defender

Still let's it bounce on occasion though and puts himself under pressure. Struggles to clear his lines as well.

Still let's it bounce on occasion though and puts himself under pressure. Struggles to clear his lines as well.

You're right. Bit more secure than Ozturk imo although I suspect Rossi will go too

As people will know I am a fully paid up happy clapper of the new regime.

I also recognise that's ozturk will have put forward a nuanced view to protect his reputation one way or another.

However, unless something significant happened from a discipline perspective that we don't know about, we really ****ed up with Ozturk.

One thing that makes me question that this was solely a Robbie issue is that Cathro did not give him a sniff either. Contrast with Nowak.

Handled better Ozturk should have earned us cash and helped our team.

Something fishy about it all.

IMO

As people will know I am a fully paid up happy clapper of the new regime.

I also recognise that's ozturk will have put forward a nuanced view to protect his reputation one way or another.

However, unless something significant happened from a discipline perspective that we don't know about, we really ****ed up with Ozturk.

One thing that makes me question that this was solely a Robbie issue is that Cathro did not give him a sniff either. Contrast with Nowak.

Handled better Ozturk should have earned us cash and helped our team.

Something fishy about it all.

IMO

Regarding the money, as another poster said, we have only received one trnasfer fee for a player.

We had actually had to pay more players to leave, than take in money.

A different issue perhaps, but still rather woeful, and nothing I see suggests this will change soon.

Agreed. Whatever happened his fate was sealed before the change in coaching staff.

We've taken a lot of gambles with our signings. Some have worked out very well indeed, some were promising but then stalled, and some turned out poorly (not always our or the player's fault, as with El Hass).

Ozturk was very young when signed and didn't have much of a pedigree. We've had some great moments from him, but TBH he has never entirely convinced me as a centre back, much as Augustyn didn't. He hasn't quite become the player we hoped for, and now he's away. I'm happy with that as long as we are bringing in decent replacements.

Of all the players we've signed and let go in the last few years, the only one I'd have said was unequivocally a bad call was Sammon, because we had plenty of evidence he wasn't the player we needed. Bad as Oshaniwa has been, the signing looked like a coup on paper and we were all delighted.

The point about coaching and improving players has been well made. We have had a succession of players who have looked like good prospects early in their career at Hearts who for some reason have lost form/confidence and been moved on.

In my opinion the coaching staff have failed to get the best out of a lot of our players. Dropping players (and in Ozturk's case stripping him of the captaincy) affects confidence. It is hard to expect a dropped player to come on a sub in a game and perform to a high standard. Another example is King whose confidence was shattered by being told he was third choice winger and then fourth choice behind Zanatta.

And it must be horrendous for team spirit and the togetherness of the squad having several players at training who have been first team regulars but are now persona non grata.

A good management team works to build players' confidence and team spirit as well as working with them individually on strengths and weaknesses. Look at Mourinho with Fellaini.

Someone else made the point that a consistent squad over several seasons tends to bear fruit especially in big games rather than the constant chopping and changing.

So purely from a football point of view I am disappointed to see Ozturk leave. I thought him and Souttar had the potential to form a strong partnership for years to come. Hughes could have been used to help develop them both.

And from a financial point of view I am annoyed that we don't seem to be getting money for a player who could easily have commanded a substantial fee if he had been better managed and developed. This seems to be a recurring theme.

Agreed. Whatever happened his fate was sealed before the change in coaching staff.

Total punt, knocked back a deal which was less than what he was on after we made him captain etc.

Psychedelicropcircle

Personally I have enjoyed his time here at hearts, I now look forward to him being a future half time guest. All the very best sir.

Could this back fire on us? Perhaps potential signings will read these comments and also see how Alexander was treated and think twice before signing for us now?!

Could this back fire on us? Perhaps potential signings will read these comments and also see how Alexander was treated and think twice before signing for us now?!

I heard from someone I consider reliable, who indicated Hearts were not the guilty party as far as Alexander was concerned.

Alexander tried to call Hearts bluff and he ended up with shit on his face..

Not kicked a single ball in 6 months in league or cup

I heard from someone I consider reliable, who indicated Hearts were not the guilty party as far as Alexander was concerned.

Ah fair enough ... just don't want us to have a reputation of not treating the players well

And to be fair the same may be true of Ozturk.

That interview might be bullshit from him to protect his reputation and not let his new club or fans think he comes with baggage

rudi must stay

That interview might be bullshit from him to protect his reputation and not let his new club or fans think he comes with baggage

Neilson was maybe just waiting for an excuse to get rid of him and found one

Think I mentioned on another thread that Ozturk allegedly done a "Barton" after the Cup game in question.

I simply don't see a player being so frozen out even if the manager blamed him for mistakes.

It's possibly been a disciplinary action by almost banishing him. However, IF this did happen has it been an over reaction by the management or has Oz stepped well over the line and deserved to be forced out? We might never know.

exactly what I thought after being told what I just posted.

siegementality

Think I mentioned on another thread that Ozturk allegedly done a "Barton" after the Cup game in question.

I simply don't see a player being so frozen out even if the manager blamed him for mistakes.

It's possibly been a disciplinary action by almost banishing him. However, IF this did happen has it been an over reaction by the management or has Oz stepped well over the line and deserved to be forced out? We might never know.

Well if you read the article Ozturk makes his side of the story clear enough.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Wots a Barton ?

Stabbed a guy in the eye with a fag. Not sure of the victim here though. :)

good defender on the deck. Was getting targeted b opposition in the air.

Souttar progressed quicker than expected. Rossi will be on a lot less as he was signed as back up to Augustyne, then proved to be better.

Wonder if we have someone lined up for the summer?

Captain Canada

I think communication could be improved. Quite a few players have left us under a bit of a cloud in the last few seasons.

Jamie Mac, Eckersley, Keatings, Alexander and Ozturk to name just some. I'm certainly not convinced every one of those instances was purely down to the player.

I think communication could be improved. Quite a few players have left us under a bit of a cloud in the last few seasons.

Jamie Mac, Eckersley, Keatings, Alexander and Ozturk to name just some. I'm certainly not convinced every one of those instances was purely down to the player.

Good point

There are usually two sides to every story, but there does seem to be a common thread allegedly of contract offers being made or promised to players and then being withdrawn. If true, it does not strike me as being the actions of an employer that I would like to work for.

Gordon Ramsay

I know there's two sides to every story but that's pretty shocking treatment if what Ozturk is saying is true. 

Not a great player but much better than some of the other pish Levein/Neilson brought in over the last 2 years. 

i wish jj was my dad

Ah fair enough ... just don't want us to have a reputation of not treating the players well

We don't have that type of reputation.

Read what Aaron Hughes said about doing his homework on the club. I'm inclined to respect his opinion.

Diadora Van Basten

I read Ozturk interview and he seems as baffled as me by his treatment.

The Dundee game in particular was strange that he was dropped after we kept a clean sheet.

We don't have that type of reputation.

Read what Aaron Hughes said about doing his homework on the club. I'm inclined to respect his opinion.

You are inclined to respect the opinion of someone who has yet to kick a ball in Maroon vs our previous club captain who appeared over 70 on 2.5 seasons. Bizarre. Hearts have treated players like shite. Comms has been poor of late as well.

I'm sure the Turkish fans will be trawling through the Edinburgh evening new right enough. That was a message to the Hearts fans. Nothing else.

August Landmesser

Jamie Mac was let go as he was on big money and contract renewals would not have fit the wage structure (AFAIK)

Eckersley was let go because he was deemed not good enough for the P'ship, and he was facing surgery - which eventually kept him out of action all season (claiming wages from Hibs)

Keatings was let go because he was shite (and is proving this with Hibs)

Alexander priced himself out of a new contract

Oz left for reasons as yet fully unclear, but there's more to it than his side of the story in the interview. Looks to me though that Hughes & Souttar look like a better bet than Souttar & Oz, or Hughes & Oz

Not many clouds there.

You are inclined to respect the opinion of someone who has yet to kick a ball in Maroon vs our previous club captain who appeared over 70 on 2.5 seasons. Bizarre. Hearts have treated players like shite. Comms has been poor of late as well.

This

I'd suggest with more than 450 EPL appearances and more than 100 caps, Aaron Hughes might have some idea about what a club looks and feels like.

I'm sure the Turkish fans will be trawling through the Edinburgh evening new right enough. That was a message to the Hearts fans. Nothing else.

Football fans are football fans.

Press are press.

They will surf the net and get as much info as possible on new signings.

i wish jj was my dad

indeed I am. Mr Hughes has been in the game at a high level for about twenty years and earned more than 100 caps. I seriously doubt he would be interested in joining a club with a wage ceiling like ours if we had the reputation of treating players badly. Particularly when his ambition is to make the next WC.

I've no idea what happened with Alim. I liked him but his performances this season were awful so I can quite understand Robbie calling him out for it if that's what happened. The club quite properly don't wash their laundry in public like we did under VR and it looks like the moles have been smoked out too so maybe we will never know. I do know that doesn't fit with the anti Levein agenda but it's how I see it.

Archived