53 replies to this topic

#1 jonesy

jonesy

She serves the smooth retsina

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

Have any of the Shed posters spent time in Mumbai? I'm working out there for a fortnight at the end of this month, and was looking for any tips/advice. Ideally, was hoping to spend a day off up in a hill station.

Any recommendations would be welcome. Have never been to India before, but spent ten years living abroad in Asia, Africa and America, so ready to be shocked and surprised.

#2 Jeffosphere

Jeffosphere

Squad Member

• Registered Users B
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sudocrem and plenty of bog roll

#3 jonnothejambo

jonnothejambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users A
  • 8,436 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Take a needle and see if you can shit through the eye of it.

I reckon within a couple of days you will manage.

Not much help I'm afraid.

#4 brunstanejambo

brunstanejambo

• Registered Users A
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Mankiest city that I have ever been to - I'd recommend that you only take old clothes for the trip as you will want to burn everything immediately upon your return...

#5 Jeffosphere

Jeffosphere

Squad Member

• Registered Users B
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

enjoy your trip... haha

#6 Ray Gin

Ray Gin

Champion of the Sun

• Registered Users A
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Population: 18.4 million.  :lol:

#7 robroy1874

robroy1874

• Registered Users A
  • 600 posts
  • LocationEmbra

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Traffic murder - place is an utter shithole. Visit the real slum areas to see real poverty (don't give anyone money - you'll literally be mobbed). High end hotels great tho' and the service is really fantastic

#8 Queensland Jambo

Queensland Jambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Donator

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Interesting couple of things to see

Gateway to India at the port

Old Victorian Railway station

But I did it in a taxi in 2-3 hours one afternoon.

I enjoyed staying in mega, mega luxury hotels for <£100/night.  The Don Revvie can be expensive though.

A couple of weekends I went up into the hills which also have mega luxury hotels but fantastic scenery.  There is a wine growing district (Nasik I think) which is up in the hills; fantastic if you have any interest in wine with vineywards etc.  Feels like last days of the Raj.

#9 Barack

Barack

If all else fails...try Wales

• Registered Users A
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Any travel agencies doing package deals here?

Might hook the mother-in-law up, for a birthday present.

#10 jimmyjambo

jimmyjambo

• Registered Users A
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Any travel agencies doing package deals here?
Might hook the mother-in-law up, for a birthday present.

:rofl:

#11 jonnothejambo

jonnothejambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users A
  • 8,436 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

Interesting couple of things to see

Gateway to India at the port
Old Victorian Railway station

But I did it in a taxi in 2-3 hours one afternoon.

I enjoyed staying in mega, mega luxury hotels for <£100/night. The Don Revvie can be expensive though.

A couple of weekends I went up into the hills which also have mega luxury hotels but fantastic scenery. There is a wine growing district (Nasik I think) which is up in the hills; fantastic if you have any interest in wine with vineywards etc. Feels like last days of the Raj.

Ye would need to be a total Raj to go there in the first place....

#12 Smithee

Smithee

100% Purest Smithee

• Registered Users B
  • 10,555 posts
  • LocationSmithee Distillery

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

I went there with work a couple of years ago. Get ready for homeless kids sleeping in the street, packs of the skinniest dogs you've ever seen, urban poverty, squalor, smog, oppressive heat, utter chaos on the roads, getting checked for bombs on your way into hotels and being stared at as the white man being driven about.

And, like others, I brought home a little tourist in my guts and missed 2 weeks of work, shitting myself thin in the process.

God speed!

#13 Jambos_1874

Jambos_1874

• Registered Users D
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

I went there with work a couple of years ago. Get ready for homeless kids sleeping in the street, packs of the skinniest dogs you've ever seen, urban poverty, squalor, smog, oppressive heat, utter chaos on the roads, getting checked for bombs on your way into hotels and being stared at as the white man being driven about.
And, like others, I brought home a little tourist in my guts and missed 2 weeks of work, shitting myself thin in the process.

God speed!

Ha ha ha, a ringing endorsement!!

#14 jonnothejambo

jonnothejambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users A
  • 8,436 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

Ha ha ha, a ringing endorsement!!

Ringing endorsement. Very good!

#15 Barack

Barack

• Registered Users A
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

God speed!

They fly from Gatwick, or Heathrow?

#16 Smithee

Smithee

100% Purest Smithee

• Registered Users B
  • 10,555 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

They fly from Gatwick, or Heathrow?

Hey, cows are sacred over there too, she'll have a great time. She won't even want to come back!

#17 Barack

Barack

• Registered Users A
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hey, cows are sacred over there too, she'll have a great time. She won't even want to come back!

:brucey:

#18 Fidel Cathro

Fidel Cathro

Always brought off early

• Paid Member
  • 4,027 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

I've been to India a few times, Goa, Kochi and Chennai.

Love the country, love the people, and it's an incredible experience, but the poverty and squalor really is shocking. Goa wasn't so bad though.

Drink bottled water, eat in good restaurants. 

#19 jonesy

jonesy

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

Was expecting most of the responses, so good stuff, lads!

Hopefully work have hooked us up with a decent hotel. Have heard similar re the restaurants. Wine growing region sounds interesting, had never imagined India having any kind of wine industry.

#20 Boris

Boris

Football Commissar

• Paid Member
  • 21,461 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

Only stopped off in Mumbai waiting on a connecting flight to Goa, so only really saw the outside of the airport. That said, went to Goa, Kolkata and Gurgau (sp.) just outside of Delhi, with my work.

I was advised to carry one of those bottles of hand wash gel and to use it regularly so perhaps an idea?

India was great though, but as has been mentioned the poverty is eye opening. Also interesting to see the dynamic between the locals due to the caste system. Makes our "class" system look positively civilised! :wink:

#21 highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

• Registered Users A
  • 852 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Am sure you will be fiine if you have been to Africa and the likes although India is completely different (in a similar way).  Ive spent time living in Africa and Central america as well as trips/holidays to india.............Off to Goa later this year for 3 weeks.

To be fair to some posters on here about Dheli belly, a lot of that is self inflicted,   A few simple precautions should see you through (you will know most/all of these):

Make sure food is either hot or cold...........hot as in you cant physically handle it without dropping it.  Cold as in refridgeration cold.  NEVER eat warm food, Buffets in hotels are NO NO NO.  Street vendor food cooked in front of you is what I aleays go for........... look where the locals are eating (very cheap as well). 

TBH the bigger/posher hotels can be the worst, untrained staff handling food and lots of cross contamination.  If you want to be picky, take a foot thermometer with you (I hav not doen this but seen others do it), hot should be above 63 and cold below 5.  NEVER eat pre prepared salads/chopped fruit.  Sterilising tablets with toothbrush upside down in stery water (changed daily)................ hand gell, if you understand cross contamination the guy that just opened the door with the handle in front of you had minging hands.  You dont need to be splashing hand gell about left, right and centre, a wee bit of discretion or you will look like a numpty...... ete....etc.....main thing is enjoy the experience.  I plan to visit India every year, its a great place      

#22 highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

• Registered Users A
  • 852 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

foot thermometer............... hahaha FOOD of course

#23 IMac

IMac

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 1,244 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

I believe it is called Bombay.

#24 Australis......

Australis......

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 2,141 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Not enough cowboys and to many Indians.

#25 Queensland Jambo

Queensland Jambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Was expecting most of the responses, so good stuff, lads!

Hopefully work have hooked us up with a decent hotel. Have heard similar re the restaurants. Wine growing region sounds interesting, had never imagined India having any kind of wine industry.

It's a real eye opener.

Conditions are apparently perfect for growing wine in a couple of regions, and the booming "middle class" are getting a taste for wine, whereas there is high tax applied to imports. 

If I had money, I'd invest it for the medium to long term in the Indian wine industry.

Sula is one of the biggest producers, they have a very decent Sauvignon Blanc that has won international awards and a couple of similarly good reds (Cab Sauvignon and Merlot).  

I went and stayed there:  http://sulawines.com.../visitstay.aspx

#26 Smithee

Smithee

100% Purest Smithee

• Registered Users B
  • 10,555 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

I know I was a bit negative above, but it's also worth saying that the vast majority of indians I actually met were bloody lovely- hospitable, warm, up for a laugh, intelligent, humble, polite and pleasant all the way. If you can deal with the urban chaos, weather and what have you, you'll probably have a great time. There's no hospitality like indian hospitality

#27 Paolo

Paolo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member_10
  • 27,518 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

I believe it is called Bombay.

Not now, it is not.

Mumbai Sapphire does not have the same ring to it though. Probably why they never changed it.

#28 jonnothejambo

jonnothejambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users A
  • 8,436 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Imagine going into a Curry Hoose and asking for a Chicken Chennai instead of a Madras.

:muggy:

#29 IMac

IMac

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 1,244 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

Not now, it is not.

Mumbai Sapphire does not have the same ring to it though. Probably why they never changed it.

My 2 mates from Bombay refuse to call it that. However the aren't Hindu nationalists.....

#30 Paolo

Paolo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member_10
  • 27,518 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Imagine going into a Curry Hoose and asking for a Chicken Chennai instead of a Madras.

:muggy:

I met a couple of mates a few months ago. They talked up this Indian restaurant, so I agreed they should pre-book it. They did. On the day though,!the arseholes ordered steak, then complained that it was not very good

Sorry. Arseholes, if you wanted steak, you should have said so. We could have gone to a steak restaurant.

#31 John Findlay

John Findlay

Squad Member

• Registered Users A
  • 5,230 posts
  • Locationthe hoose

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Never mind Mumbai/Bombay. Get yourself to Karachi for poverty and smell. Poorest city I have ever visited.

#32 jonnothejambo

jonnothejambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users A
  • 8,436 posts

Donator

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

I met a couple of mates a few months ago. They talked up this Indian restaurant, so I agreed they should pre-book it. They did. On the day though,!the arseholes ordered steak, then complained that it was not very good

Sorry. Arseholes, if you wanted steak, you should have said so. We could have gone to a steak restaurant.

I bet the arseholes asked for well done steaks too.

#33 Ray Gin

Ray Gin

Champion of the Sun

• Registered Users A
  • 13,487 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Ordering steak from an Indian restaurant   :cornette:

Oh cows are sacred in your culture? Cook me up one of those then please.

Edited by Ray Gin, 11 January 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#34 Sydney

Sydney

Shareholder, Donator, Supporter.

• Paid Member
  • 4,093 posts

Donator

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

I go to Mumbai twice a year for work, usually in April and then November.  I stay near the airport (Courtyard Marriott) as it is easy for meetings etc.

It is a wonderful, relentless, busy, dirty, exciting city.  It looks much better at night than during the day.  Traffic is a pain.

Some parts are the worst slums I have ever seen, and then less than 5 kms away, it can feel like you're walking down near the Riviera.

There are wonderful restaurants, but take all the usual precautions like in other parts of Asia.  Luckily I've never been sick in Mumbai.

The local street food is called Vada Pav - deep fried spicy potato patty in a roll.  It is fantastic.  Everyone in Mumbai loves them.

Indian wine can be pretty good.  Sula is what I usually drink when there (along with Kingfisher Ultra).

If you have time, get along to a cricket match.  My favourite cricket stadium (after the SCG) is there.  Amusing name too.

If you want to get out of the city for a couple of days, I would recommend Goa - but I haven't been there since the 1990's, so I imagine it has changed a bit since I was there.

#35 Smithee

Smithee

100% Purest Smithee

• Registered Users B
  • 10,555 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

I go to Mumbai twice a year for work, usually in April and then November. I stay near the airport (Courtyard Marriott) as it is easy for meetings etc.

It is a wonderful, relentless, busy, dirty, exciting city. It looks much better at night than during the day. Traffic is a pain.

Some parts are the worst slums I have ever seen, and then less than 5 kms away, it can feel like you're walking down near the Riviera.

There are wonderful restaurants, but take all the usual precautions like in other parts of Asia. Luckily I've never been sick in Mumbai.

The local street food is called Vada Pav - deep fried spicy potato patty in a roll. It is fantastic. Everyone in Mumbai loves them.

Indian wine can be pretty good. Sula is what I usually drink when there (along with Kingfisher Ultra).

If you have time, get along to a cricket match. My favourite cricket stadium (after the SCG) is there. Amusing name too.

If you want to get out of the city for a couple of days, I would recommend Goa - but I haven't been there since the 1990's, so I imagine it has changed a bit since I was there.

It does look much better in the dark to be fair

#36 Paolo

Paolo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member_10
  • 27,518 posts

Donator

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I bet the arseholes asked for well done steaks too.

One of them did, yes.

#37 jonesy

jonesy

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Did any of you who go there get vaccinations prior to travel? The fit for travel website seems to be quite vague about what's actually needed in Mumbai itself. I'm up to date with all the regular jabs, but wondered if its worth getting the 'extra' ones.

#38 Sydney

Sydney

• Paid Member
  • 4,093 posts

Donator

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:20 AM

Did any of you who go there get vaccinations prior to travel? The fit for travel website seems to be quite vague about what's actually needed in Mumbai itself. I'm up to date with all the regular jabs, but wondered if its worth getting the 'extra' ones.

I dont bother.

#39 Boris

Boris

Football Commissar

• Paid Member
  • 21,461 posts

Donator

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

I had a few before going to India. Diphtheria, hepatitis, something else and malaria tablets a week before leaving, during and a week after return.

#40 Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Squad Member

• Registered Users A
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:33 AM

Population: 18.4 million.   :lol:

busy trains buses, no thanks.

#41 jonesy

jonesy

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

I dont bother.

I had a few before going to India. Diphtheria, hepatitis, something else and malaria tablets a week before leaving, during and a week after return.

Cheers guys. Getting the four main ones (free on NHS - colleague down south having to fork out over £200!). Apparently not a serious malaria risk, so not going to bother with those.

I assume that having had these jabs I'm free to munch as much fecal matter dripping, undercooked street food as I like... ;)

#42 Normthebarman

Normthebarman

All about the soupy yo-yo

• Paid Member
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Donator

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

Watched that Planet Earth the other day. Apparently there's a squad of leopards roaming the place at nights. See if the doc has any **** off big cat vaccines.

Edited by Normthebarman, 17 January 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#43 Smithee

Smithee

100% Purest Smithee

• Registered Users B
  • 10,555 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Cheers guys. Getting the four main ones (free on NHS - colleague down south having to fork out over £200!). Apparently not a serious malaria risk, so not going to bother with those.

I assume that having had these jabs I'm free to munch as much fecal matter dripping, undercooked street food as I like... ;)

I had them all and still lost a stone from shitting beige water

#44 Sydney

Sydney

• Paid Member
  • 4,093 posts

Donator

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

Watched that Planet Earth the other day. Apparently there's a squad of leopards roaming the place at nights. See if the doc has any **** off big cat vaccines.

When I was last there (in November) I had dinner up beside Powai Lake in centra/north Mumbai, and in the week I was there in the Lake Powai area a leopard got into the halls of residence at IIT Bombay (university) and also a fisherman on the lake got attacked by a crocodile not long before that too.  The newspaper had handy hints to stop leopards attacking you.  One of them was to play music loud on your phone instead of using headphones if you were walking alone.

Coming face-to-face with a leopard or a croc would have you losing a stone from shitting beige water too!

Edited by Sydney, 18 January 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#45 jonesy

jonesy

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Well, one week into the Mumbai work trip and I haven't been eaten by leopards, nor spent entire days pisshitting. Two of the best curries I've ever had (loving the veggie food here - only eat meat on Sundays when back home) and the luxury JW Marriott hotel booked by work isn't a bad place to lay your head.

Survived a couple of auto rides, as well as the local trains. Sanjay Gandhi national park is a decent place to head to for getting away from the hustle and bustle. Monkeys roaming about, but as soon as they spot you've no food they leave well alone.

The begging children are tough to deal with - not so much in a practical way (I'm a cold hearted ******* and never give to street beggars in any country), but more how much it makes me miss my own kids and also realise that, but for the grace of God, etc...

Edited by jonesy, 04 February 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#46 Queensland Jambo

Queensland Jambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Donator

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

Kingfisher beer is ok but a cold Kingfisher at the JW after a day out and around Mumbai is a truly special thing.

#47 Stokesy

Stokesy

• Registered Users B
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

Stay away from the street food. I was ill constantly when I went backpacking there.

#48 jonesy

jonesy

• Registered Users A
  • 3,449 posts
  • LocationHome at last

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

Kingfisher beer is ok but a cold Kingfisher at the JW after a day out and around Mumbai is a truly special thing.

Sinking a few of them while listening to Cathro's demolition of Motherwell is even better ;)

#49 Sydney

Sydney

• Paid Member
  • 4,093 posts

Donator

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

Cold kingfisher at the JW after a long day is indeed a wonderful thing.

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

#50 Riddley Walker

Riddley Walker

Trubba not.

• Paid Member
  • 4,265 posts

Donator

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

Sinking a few of them while listening to Cathro's demolition of Motherwell is even better ;)

In all seriousness, the derby might be on Indian TV next weekend. I was in Jaipur during the Hibs relegation party derby, and after a fruitless afternoon of searching for somewhere to stream the game went back to my hotel to look at updates on here.

Nonchalantly flicked through the TV channels and they had the game on TV :lol: Outstanding.

Edited by Riddley Walker, 05 February 2017 - 10:03 AM.