6 new signings incoming

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

According to the Scottish Daily mail.

Their back page tomorrow has just been posted on twitter.

Ferryjambo99

The same paper that has said that mcginn had essentially said goodbye to his team mates and it's now reported he's rejected a deal. So I'm a bit sceptical

Good.

Although I don't know how they could possibly know, unless agents are mouthing off.

jamboinglasgow

The same paper that has said that mcginn had essentially said goodbye to his team mates and it's now reported he's rejected a deal. So I'm a bit sceptical

To be fair, you are instantly rejecting one media source and accepting another. What makes you believe one over the other?

Stephen Muddie

I make no claims to know how reliable the source is etc, but six sounds about right to me. A left back, a left sided midfielder, a striker (preferably two), an experienced central defender and one of goalkeeping cover/competition or RB given CP's unfortunate layoff. Be happy enough if we were looking at these areas

Wonder who?

aaron hughes sounds a certainty

Niall McGinn sounds precontract (Dons won't want to help us not drop more points!)

Sounds like a LB, RB CM and CF to be announced ?

Ferryjambo99

To be fair, you are instantly rejecting one media source and accepting another. What makes you believe one over the other?

Fair point. I don't necessarily believe the 2nd source, just that even when the media is certain of something it's quite possible that's not the case

Edit: the mail in that piece published an hour ago still saying he's poised to sign for us. Intrigued to see who's right

Fair point. I don't necessarily believe the 2nd source, just that even when the media is certain of something it's quite possible that's not the case

Edit: the mail in that piece published an hour ago still saying he's poised to sign for us. Intrigued to see who's right

I'd probably be more inclined to believe the Aberdeen based journalist instead of the daily mail.

From what I've been reading, McGinn is desperate to join us.  I'll be very surprised if he doesn't.

Seymour M Hersh

The daily mail!

Good for ship shop wrappings and my auld faithers crossword

As opposed to say the Daily Ranger or the Scottish Sun? is there any paper we would accept as accurate if an article appeared in it?

The Internet

As opposed to say the Daily Ranger or the Scottish Sun? is there any paper we would accept as accurate if an article appeared in it?

No.

Son Of Anarchy

No. Not one.

Buffalo Bill

If it's the Daily Mail, the six new signings will all be ISIS, and only here to claim benefits.

Recruitment over the last year and a half has been pretty awful.

Wholesale changes are probably needed, but it will take time.

6 in and 6 out would be good, if the incoming are better than what we have got. 2-3 good signings might be a bit more achievable.

Going to be hard getting the likes of Osh and Sammon out because there is no way they will get a better deal elsewhere.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I will happily wait to see the truth, the only place you can believe it. Hearts News

August Landmesser

If it's the Daily Mail, the six new signings will all be ISIS, and only here to claim benefits.

tbf, they won't just be here to claim benefits, but also to give us cancer and cellulite...

From reading the article, I think I'm right in saying that all of the quotes from Cathro which are included are from the interview which the club posted on YouTube yesterday. So I'm not sure where they have pulled the 6 new signings from unless they have some additional intel.

From the way Cathro spoke about the limitations of the January window, I'd be surprised if we made 6 new signings in January.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

From what I've been reading, McGinn is desperate to join us. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't.

I would be very surprised if he did join us he will go down south

scott herbertson

"might want as many as six"

I would guess that means two coming in, or maybe three

Hard to believe we could find six available players that fit in with the signing philosophy during a January window. If we do bring in six it's likely that Cathro will have convinced Levein/Budge that we need some six month loan deals to bolster the squad then he does his real hiring in the summer.

Remember the 11 signings by Vlad in January 2006 :D

Were Goncalves, Bruno and Kari in that group? I'd snap your hand off for a bit of business that included that sort of quality right now. Makela not so much.

"might want as many as six"

I would guess that means two coming in, or maybe three

I think every manager "might want as many as six" player to add to their squad. It's not great journalism.

However, a couple signings, a couple loan players, and couple additions to the youth academy could easily make 6 players in.

Hard to believe we could find six available players that fit in with the signing philosophy during a January window. If we do bring in six it's likely that Cathro will have convinced Levein/Budge that we need some six month loan deals to bolster the squad then he does his real hiring in the summer.

What is the signing philosophy now ?

I know what is WAS, but then we signed Sammon, and Watt on loan, and Cowie. We were/are also considering McGinn. All of which go against the philosophy as I understood it.

What is the signing philosophy now ?

I know what is WAS, but then we signed Sammon, and Watt on loan, and Cowie. We were/are also considering McGinn. All of which go against the philosophy as I understood it.

In what sense? I think you can't just use kids or develop players. You need bog standard players to fill out the squad and be able to consistently play to a certain level to allow the likes of Walker, Sow, Johnson, Paterson to be able to play to their potential. Thats where players like Augustyn, Rossi, Cowie, Alexander and potentially Mcginn will come in. (Obv Augustyn and Cowie have been less than consistant)

(IMO they have been far too open about what they want to achieve and its turned into people almost deliberately not understanding, the 'promoting coaches from within' being a prime example)

Signing philosophy = Every player signed is believed to improve the squad.

Not always successful.

Fly the Saltire

Never buy the rag but would never believe any headline on front or back page in the tax avoiding Daily Heil and readers should always check out more accurate news sources. 

August Landmesser

Signing philosophy = Every player signed is believed to improve the squad.

Not always successful.

In addition, didn't Robbie say a while ago that we're not looking to sign 'squad players' but first-teamers, with the aim of having 23 players of first-team quality, rather than say 15 first-teamers and some youngsters & journeymen.

Long story short: Our stated signing philosophy; all killer, no filler.

That's the theory. Obvs, there'll be some misfires at our budgetary level

In addition, didn't Robbie say a while ago that we're not looking to sign 'squad players' but first-teamers, with the aim of having 23 players of first-team quality, rather than say 15 first-teamers and some youngsters & journeymen.

Long story short: Our stated signing philosophy; all killer, no filler.

That's the theory. Obvs, there'll be some misfires at our budgetary level

Yep. As I remember it.

More recently I think Levein described three groups of players:

Seasoned Pros

Academy graduates

Special players

Needs time for the gaps in the academy system to work their way out the neck of the bottle though.

August Landmesser

Yep. As I remember it.

More recently I think Levein described three groups of players:

Seasoned Pros

Academy graduates

Special players

Needs time for the gaps in the academy system to work their way out the neck of the bottle though.

Yep, and at the moment we're a bit thin on seasoned pros - I imagine that's what they hoped Sammon might have been - with only Cowie really qualifying as a Wily Old Head.

After two windows, and as you say, time for the academy to start taking effect again, I reckon the squad will be looking a lot more balanced

Yep, and at the moment we're a bit thin on seasoned pros - I imagine that's what they hoped Sammon might have been - with only Cowie really qualifying as a Wily Old Head.

After two windows, and as you say, time for the academy to start taking effect again, I reckon the squad will be looking a lot more balanced

That appears to be the hope, coinciding with greater potential revenue streams, we seem to be aiming for a scenario where we only sign a small number of players each season, with the emphasis being on special talent and old heads. The rest is intended to be made up of academy graduates. As I understand it.

Archived