Summer holidays 2017 - Greece

Ivan Drago

Fancying Greece for holiday this year but not sure where due to the vast amount of options-any suggestions, good people of kickback? Preferably somewhere that's not too lively but not too quiet either.

the sub goalie

Only been to Greece once around 6 years ago but we're also thinking of heading there this summer.

Anyway, we went to Sidari, Corfu which was an old fishing port. Was quite small and quiet but had a strip of boozers that livened up at night and a decent beach too.

Koutouloufari in Crete, traditional village in the hills above Hersonisos, brilliant restaurants and tavernas with low key bars, if you want a wee bit more action a 15 minute stroll takes you into Horsonisos, highly recommended

Can't go far wrong with Greece right now, so long as you choose a decent hotel. The locals will be very pleased to see you and your euros! (Take cash, or get it there, and they will be even more pleased - the government takes a cut of credit card transactions to pay their debts). Very good value currently.

I love the food anywhere in Greece. In recent years been to Athens, Istria, Thessaloniki, Halkidiki, Rhodes etc. And enjoyed them all. Not quite Greece, but off to Paphos in Cyprus next week and looking forward to that. Direct flights from Edinburgh, and good deals in the off season.

Unknown user

Another for crete, great place. We were west of Chania in an area where most of their custom is from Scandinavia. They treat Scots really well (English is much easier to deal with apparently) and there's a good amount of Scandinavian women kicking about. If that interests you.

Is this a family, couples, lads or solo holiday?  Any deal-breakers, like accommodation must  have a pool?

Lindos on Rhodes is an utterly magical place. Conservation village with no cars, little winding streets, three fabulous beaches and an Acropolis on the hill.  Excellent selection of bars from the quiet to the lively, loads of rooftop tavernas, and a couple of nightclubs.  If you are investigating Lindos, do be aware that a lot of places describe themselves as "Lindos" but aren't.  Accommodation in the village proper is mostly traditional studios and none have pools, but you don't need one when the beach is so lovely and the sea so warm.

I'm also a fan of Kassiopi on Corfu.  Originally a village with a pretty harbour.  Again a good mix of bars and eateries. No night clubs as such but a couple of lively bars.  It's handy for visiting Corfu Town and the other resorts on the North Coast like Roda and Sidari.

Jet2 fly direct from Edinburgh to Rhodes.

RyanAir fly direct from Edinburgh to Corfu.

Fun fact: the last time I flew back from Corfu to Edinburgh the person next to me on the plane was a certain Mrs Budge. Very pleasant journey.

Elias Henry Furst

Kassiopi in Corfu is lovely. Ipsos another favourite resort of mine.

Re Crete, I prefer Aghios Nikolaos on the east of the Island to Hersonisos and stalis.

A personal favourite is kardamena in Kos. Love the place.

All are suitable for family/couple holidays.

Cheers for the advice guys

Is this a family, couples, lads or solo holiday? Any deal-breakers, like accommodation must have a pool?

Lindos on Rhodes is an utterly magical place. Conservation village with no cars, little winding streets, three fabulous beaches and an Acropolis on the hill. Excellent selection of bars from the quiet to the lively, loads of rooftop tavernas, and a couple of nightclubs. If you are investigating Lindos, do be aware that a lot of places describe themselves as "Lindos" but aren't. Accommodation in the village proper is mostly traditional studios and none have pools, but you don't need one when the beach is so lovely and the sea so warm.

I'm also a fan of Kassiopi on Corfu. Originally a village with a pretty harbour. Again a good mix of bars and eateries. No night clubs as such but a couple of lively bars. It's handy for visiting Corfu Town and the other resorts on the North Coast like Roda and Sidari.

Jet2 fly direct from Edinburgh to Rhodes.

RyanAir fly direct from Edinburgh to Corfu.

Fun fact: the last time I flew back from Corfu to Edinburgh the person next to me on the plane was a certain Mrs Budge. Very pleasant journey.

Couples holiday so no nightclubs but a few pubs would be required.

I think I went to lindos once when I was wee so that's on the list, I think we've managed to narrow it down to Crete, halkidiki, lindos or kos, so making some progress :laugh:

Thanks for the clarification. For a couples holiday, Lindos really is hard to beat. It's a bit pricier than a lot of Greek destinations but it is so worth it. There is something magical about the place - the only problem is it's addictive! I've been six times, which is something I generally Do Not Do - I prefer to try out new places.

Best place to check out options is http://www.exclusivelylindos.com/ - way more choice than a traditional UK based travel operator, who generally have little accommodation in the village.  Do beware any accommodation which is described as having a pool, being "above the village", and being a "fifteen minute stroll to the village centre".  This will be in the Krana area, which is a steep hike back home at the end of a day on the beach or a night out in the village.  It all depends on your priorities - a lot of people are happy chilling round a pool during the day, but I much prefer being in the village.

For specific questions/advice, there's a forum on Tripadvisor (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g227884-i1327-Lindos_Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html) and a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/destinationlindos/)

For a couple not interested in nightclubs, Halkidiki is a good choice for a relaxing holiday. Relatively quiet but some excellent hotels at reasonable prices.

I stayed at the Anthemus Sea Beach Hotel in Sithonia (the middle of the three prongs). Many hotels in Greece which claim to be 5 star don't live up to that but I can't fault this one - the rooms were superb and so was the food (breakfast, lunch and dinner all had terrific choices of top quality Greek food). Staff very efficient and friendly. Has its own nice sheltered private beach, several swimming pools and bars. Not much else round about (a few bars within walking distance) but they do have a free minibus to the nearest town.

Was there on a special package at the start of the season but the 'superior' room turned out to have a spacious lounge and a seperate bedroom, each with its own balcony and sea view!

Don't know about the other hotels at Sani, Porto Carras etc. but from the photos they look similar.

I'd strongly recommend Santorini. Absolutely stunning. Can possibly stay in nearby Ios too for a couple of nights as it's a bit of a party island.

I'm not one for going back to places but been to Pedkos on Rhodes 3 times. Including for my 50th. Short bus ride to Lindos, think there's 1 nightclub on the outskirts. Loads of excellent tavernas and boozers and, if there during football season Pefkos by Night shows every EPL game and some SPL on Sat. Santorini is stunning Kamari and Perissa quieter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, we bought a holiday home in the southwest of Thessaloniki two years ago and normally spend holidays there.  The best time to go is spring. Fantastic beaches, pine forests and a splendid selection of wildflowers!  Although it is full of crowds during the summer season. Still you may find anything you like to be happy there. If you don?t have an idea of the landscape you can check out here, for example https://tranio.com/greece/makedonia_thraki/thessaloniki/

We fancy Croatia this year. Has anyone been on a family holiday there?

We have two wee ones, 9 and 1.

We fancy Croatia this year. Has anyone been on a family holiday there?

We have two wee ones, 9 and 1.

Went to porec last year and loved it, don't have wee ones though so not sure if it would be good for a family holiday or not. We were off season so there wasn't any water sports or that on but I think they have them on in the summer.

Visited Rovinj when we were there and that was really nice as well but again not sure how much there is for wee ones.

Archived