Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few questions I've always had about this, not having a go but if the sheep fans on here could answer them I'd appreciate it:

1) Why is Pittodrie "unfit for purpose"?

It's over 100 years old. The club are spending hundreds of thousands of pounds a year on maintenance. The south stand is sinking and will one day get to the point where it no longer gets a safety certificate.

The club also say it's not UEFA compliant but gets grandfather rights just now.

2) If Pittodrie is "unfit for purpose", why can't Aberdeen stay there and rennovate it (like we have with our stand)?

We need to build three new stands. We could maybe get away with leaving the Merkland stand as it is, but the main and south stand both have a fairly short life expectancy.

Firstly, by selling the stadium they raise around ?18m to go towards building the new one. They won't get that money if they attempt to rebuild Pittodrie.

Secondly, the stadium is landlocked (much like the rest of Tynecastle). Modern building regulations mean Aberdeen would have to build at a reduced capacity due to the space, likely meaning a capacity of about 12,000-14,000. Easy to say that's around our average, but over a season we'd make less money from gate receipts from big games and who would spend millions to reduce their income?

To do it properly and keep somewhere near the current capacity, they would probably have to knock down all four stands, buy the land behind three of the stands (two of which have flats built on them, so they'd have to buy the land, then each individual flat, then if they even got to that point they would have to demolish everything). They would have spent millions before even laying a brick, and where would we play while all this was happening? Tannadice?

People who use Chelsea and Tottenham as examples forget the money they're spending.

3) Why not just build some high quality, brand new training facilities out in Kingsford instead?

That's the priority, and may be what they have to do should the stadium be rejected there, but they need a new stadium too.

4) Why are most Aberdeen fans on board with leaving their spiritual home to a place about 10 miles outside the city?

Well it's not 10 miles outside the city. It's technically in the city boundary. The issue is how far from the city centre it is, which is about 6 miles. I grew up where the stadium is planned be it's not the outpost everyone thinks it is. Being right on the bypass it's a lot easier to get to by car than Pittodrie. The problem is there isn't enough parking for everyone going by car, so they need more public transport and without a train or tram station that is solely reliant on buses.

Location: Aberdeen being a one-team city, it doesn't really matter where in Aberdeen it is, it's still Aberdeen. It's not the same as Edinburgh where Hearts are synonymous with Gorgie and Hibs with Leith. Aberdeen don't have that same connection to Seaton or the beach, it's just Aberdeen. If you asked fans where they want the new stadium, I don't think most really care - Loirston is more within the city than Kingsford yet most fans were against it because of the traffic chaos it'd cause if going by car (though public transport links probably better, and I've already said I personally would be happy with it there). A popular option is Bucksburn and some sort of link-up with the new AECC (meaning we could share their parking facilities, like Kingsford it's right on the bypass so great by car, and it's also getting a new train station) but don't know if it's possible. Being so close to the airport might be problematic. Would love some sort of feasibility study into it though.

As for Pittodrie itself, fans fell out of love with the place over 20 years ago when they knocked down the beach end. It lost its sparkle long ago and considering the restraints, even if Aberdeen did attempt to rebuild it, the likelihood is the end result would be pretty crap. For all the criticisms of the location of the new stadium, the plans look pretty good and if it goes ahead we'll be playing in a stadium far superior to what we're playing in now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's not mythical though.

Much as I dislike them, their away support is impressive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think they will be outnumbered by tramps at Hampden

You think it's too low?

There's easily that number.

Yes, I found it funny based on there actually being significantly more than 500 on there being way more than that in the central belt.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It's over 100 years old. The club are spending hundreds of thousands of pounds a year on maintenance. The south stand is sinking and will one day get to the point where it no longer gets a safety certificate.

The club also say it's not UEFA compliant but gets grandfather rights just now.

We need to build three new stands. We could maybe get away with leaving the Merkland stand as it is, but the main and south stand both have a fairly short life expectancy.

Firstly, by selling the stadium they raise around ?18m to go towards building the new one. They won't get that money if they attempt to rebuild Pittodrie.

Secondly, the stadium is landlocked (much like the rest of Tynecastle). Modern building regulations mean Aberdeen would have to build at a reduced capacity due to the space, likely meaning a capacity of about 12,000-14,000. Easy to say that's around our average, but over a season we'd make less money from gate receipts from big games and who would spend millions to reduce their income?

To do it properly and keep somewhere near the current capacity, they would probably have to knock down all four stands, buy the land behind three of the stands (two of which have flats built on them, so they'd have to buy the land, then each individual flat, then if they even got to that point they would have to demolish everything). They would have spent millions before even laying a brick, and where would we play while all this was happening? Tannadice?

People who use Chelsea and Tottenham as examples forget the money they're spending.

That's the priority, and may be what they have to do should the stadium be rejected there, but they need a new stadium too.

Well it's not 10 miles outside the city. It's technically in the city boundary. The issue is how far from the city centre it is, which is about 6 miles. I grew up where the stadium is planned be it's not the outpost everyone thinks it is. Being right on the bypass it's a lot easier to get to by car than Pittodrie. The problem is there isn't enough parking for everyone going by car, so they need more public transport and without a train or tram station that is solely reliant on buses.

Location: Aberdeen being a one-team city, it doesn't really matter where in Aberdeen it is, it's still Aberdeen. It's not the same as Edinburgh where Hearts are synonymous with Gorgie and Hibs with Leith. Aberdeen don't have that same connection to Seaton or the beach, it's just Aberdeen. If you asked fans where they want the new stadium, I don't think most really care - Loirston is more within the city than Kingsford yet most fans were against it because of the traffic chaos it'd cause if going by car (though public transport links probably better, and I've already said I personally would be happy with it there). A popular option is Bucksburn and some sort of link-up with the new AECC (meaning we could share their parking facilities, like Kingsford it's right on the bypass so great by car, and it's also getting a new train station) but don't know if it's possible. Being so close to the airport might be problematic. Would love some sort of feasibility study into it though.

As for Pittodrie itself, fans fell out of love with the place over 20 years ago when they knocked down the beach end. It lost its sparkle long ago and considering the restraints, even if Aberdeen did attempt to rebuild it, the likelihood is the end result would be pretty crap. For all the criticisms of the location of the new stadium, the plans look pretty good and if it goes ahead we'll be playing in a stadium far superior to what we're playing in now.

In the current economic climate in Aberdeen, is 18 million not a bit fanciful for the land. Unless Milne is robbing one of his business to help the other.

I am not an expert just seems unlikely the way things are

Final decision is June 21.

Essentially what the club have learned today is the transport and parking strategy needs improved otherwise it won't go ahead.

Which is pretty much word for word what we all said on here while a few sheepies were arguing about how easy it would be to just throw up a train station and how it would be perfectly viable to take hours to clear the stadium of punters on shuttle buses etc.

Yes, I found it funny based on there actually being significantly more than 500 on there being way more than that in the central belt.

There may be way more than that in the central belt but they don't go to games. We have about 500 central belt fans that go to Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Hamilton but that is the only games they get to. For the bigger games such as Tynecastle, the loyalty point system means it is the Aberdeen based fans who get the tickets. I know this from going to away matches.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Ffs not another one

I always find voyeurism to be quite flattering

::smugger::

In the current economic climate in Aberdeen, is 18 million not a bit fanciful for the land. Unless Milne is robbing one of his business to help the other.

I am not an expert just seems unlikely the way things are

Absolutely this. If Aberdeen get anything close to ?18M, bearing in mind it's a city in financial decline, I'll be astonished.

been here before

I used to like the old Beach end with its long woiden benches.

F*ckn Baltic place to be though.

Silvery_Moon

I hope Aberdeen get this sorted. Given the uncertainty we have been through the last few years it's such a great feeling to have our future at Tynecastle secured. Hopefully there will be a successful outcome here as well.

Absolutely this. If Aberdeen get anything close to ?18M, bearing in mind it's a city in financial decline, I'll be astonished.

They already have a builder in mind for the site  :tiny:

Wasn't the pie mans famous quote that tynie 'wasn't fit for purpose' ?

I'm astounded that dons fans are in favour of this. Is it not ripping the soul out of the club by relocating it to a field from essentially the centre of Aberdeen?

Sandy Clark

I think they will be outnumbered by tramps at Hampden

Absolute certainty. But I'd be more interested in the average away support for Hibs and Aberdeen.

As for their stadium I think it's fantastic they have hit the skids. As for the two who frequent this site and assured us transport wouldn't be a problem......:)

Got to be honest I'm enjoying the posts from the Aberdeen fans. Good insight into one of the countries biggest clubs from their fans.

Hope they get the stadium sorted, always bring a large noisy support to Tynecastle.

Good luck in the Semi Final as well :thumbsup:

Got to be honest I'm enjoying the posts from the Aberdeen fans. Good insight into one of the countries biggest clubs from their fans.

Hope they get the stadium sorted, always bring a large noisy support to Tynecastle.

Good luck in the Semi Final as well :thumbsup:

Yeah

We can do this new stadium thing together. It will be really interesting if the Aberdeen fans stick around.

In one way I wish them well. Obviously as sporting competitors its a bit different!

Yeah

We can do this new stadium thing together. It will be really interesting if the Aberdeen fans stick around.

In one way I wish them well. Obviously as sporting competitors its a bit different!

Good post Mikey.

Be interesting to see how this turns out.

And while it might be 20 or 30 years away now its not out the question that we might be moving to a new stadium in time.

And while it might be 20 or 30 years away now its not out the question that we might be moving to a new stadium in time.

Good point.

How much longer can we get out of the Wheatfield?

Good point.

I'm not getting beyond ourselves

But we can hope for a future where a few big non Glasgow clubs can expand with young Scottish players and exciting competition. Maybe even a future without the old firm.

But its true a 20,000 stadium could be too small if the current regime are successful.

And yes its possible circumstances could collude to make Tynecastle a lesser option to a new stadium.

As I said 20 /30 years away.

Buffalo Bill

I liked the Beach End. I remember too that it had a funny little seated stand at the side of it that faced on to the Main Stand rather than the pitch. Very strange, but quirky.

BZtSmljCcAAkhhA.jpg

The new designs for the new stadium don't look great; stands look a bit shallow and the protests from the 'W.A.N.K.S' (Westhill residents) have meant a height restriction. But again, these artists impressions don't tell the whole story. Maybe it'll look better in real life, should it ever get built.

Buffalo Bill

Good point.

Wheatfield is build to last like any other stand made of steel and concrete. :2thumbsup:

Just Hibs fans and Chris Robinson saying otherwise.

Wheatfield is build to last like any other stand made of steel and concrete. :2thumbsup:

Just Hibs fans and Chris Robinson saying otherwise.

I thought it had a life of around 25 years? Sure I read that somewhere but could be wrong.

Bazzas right boot

I thought it had a life of around 25 years? Sure I read that somewhere but could be wrong.

Nah, with the advances in medicine they go on a bit longer.

No smoking as well unlike his dad, and if you haven't heard the big guy is changing his diet to fruit and smoothies. He'll make 50 no problems.

Unknown user

Yep, I did a uni presentation on the build so paid fair amount of attention. The life span quoted at that time was indeed 25 years, which I thought was particularly short sighted. I'd be interested to know the clubs thinking on the future of the other three stands now

Buffalo Bill

The Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn stands are made from steel and concrete like any other stand up and down the country. Perhaps one day, the "bus shelter" roof cladding could be replaced (and improved), I'd welcome that, but I would reckon the rest of it structurally fine.

Why do we indulge these weirdos?

Because it's a football forum.

It's good to get the views of other teams fans. As long as they are respectful and don't wind us up.

It's interesting to get the views of sheep fans on their new stadium proposals.

It also brings home how lucky we are to have Tynecastle especially when you see the choice Aberdeen are left with.

A soul less freezing cold stadium next to a beach or a equally soul less freezing cold stadium in the country.

Voice of reason

All new buildings traditionally built, and even most modular buildings, have a guaranteed structural life-span of 60 years - that's just the guarantee, and not to say they won't last 100 years. The lifespan for the structural integrity of the Wheatfield, Roseburn and Gorgie stands will be the same as for the stands at Easter Road, Murrayfield or anywhere else. You wouldn't get statutory approvals for a building that was only designed to last for up for 25 years [unless it was classed a temporary structure] - and especially structures holding thousands of people. 

Bazzas right boot

They're one of our main rivals so it isn't that surprising.

The regular Aberdeen posters do seem decent to be fair, and I hate Aberdeen more than most.

Off topic, but just noticed on phone version my name is shortened to tosh.

Might explain your reasoning for thinking i had two accounts. Just noticed today!

Interestingly (from a Hearts point of view), the vote from the Aberdeenshire council was 7/7, with the chair having the casting vote, and he opted to object.

His twitter username is @aitchisondavid - interesting background he has on there!!

MacDonald Jardine

Off topic, but just noticed on phone version my name is shortened to tosh.

Might explain your reasoning for thinking i had two accounts. Just noticed today!

Yeah I picked that up yesterday.

Not a big deal in the scheme of things if you did have but again I apologise.

MacDonald Jardine

Because it's a football forum.

It's good to get the views of other teams fans. As long as they are respectful and don't wind us up.

It's interesting to get the views of sheep fans on their new stadium proposals.

It also brings home how lucky we are to have Tynecastle especially when you see the choice Aberdeen are left with.

A soul less freezing cold stadium next to a beach or a equally soul less freezing cold stadium in the country.

I'd agree with this in theory but the treatment of a couple of Rangers fans who posted on here would tend to suggest otherwise.

indianajones

Thank **** we managed to stay at Tynecastle.

This will be another soulless, out of town stadium that. Couldn't bare it if that happened to us.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thank **** we managed to stay at Tynecastle.

This will be another soulless, out of town stadium that. Couldn't bare it if that happened to us.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

How do you know it'll be soulless?

I read that on here all the time without an explanation actually given except that it's out of town, which has little relevance on an atmosphere within the stadium.

MacDonald Jardine

How do you know it'll be soulless?

I read that on here all the time without an explanation actually given except that it's out of town, which has little relevance on an atmosphere within the stadium.

I actually think the new Aberdeen stadium has more chance of being a success than most other clubs given where you draw your support from.

Many of the new stadia are more or less identical though and hence soulless.

Interestingly (from a Hearts point of view), the vote from the Aberdeenshire council was 7/7, with the chair having the casting vote, and he opted to object.

His twitter username is @aitchisondavid - interesting background he has on there!!

Jambo?

Unknown user

All new buildings traditionally built, and even most modular buildings, have a guaranteed structural life-span of 60 years - that's just the guarantee, and not to say they won't last 100 years. The lifespan for the structural integrity of the Wheatfield, Roseburn and Gorgie stands will be the same as for the stands at Easter Road, Murrayfield or anywhere else. You wouldn't get statutory approvals for a building that was only designed to last for up for 25 years [unless it was classed a temporary structure] - and especially structures holding thousands of people.

And yet 25 years was what was quoted at the time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I've heard of a couple of places hiring out parking. On a cold day, its going to be a long walk to the stadium unless buses are picking up and dropping off. Sunderland had a system that worked

I don't buy fit for purpose. Sounds very Chris Robinson. Just improve the stands they have over time.

I'd agree with this in theory but the treatment of a couple of Rangers fans who posted on here would tend to suggest otherwise.

you just can't help yourself can you?  Did some big bad Hearts fans talk bad to your hun pals???? 

MacDonald Jardine

you just can't help yourself can you? Did some big bad Hearts fans talk bad to your hun pals????

I'm just commenting on the difference in attitude.

Even a Celtic fan was treated better FFS.

August Landmesser

If it's the Celtic fan I think it was, they were treated fine and that's fair enough. They came on to chat about football.

However, 9a and B-Bear were on the Big Thread making the usual Sevco-fantasist claims and were rightly called out on it.  That 'SandyIn...' rangers fan that used to come on Sevco match threads was treated ok too as far as I remember, except when he started veering into existential chat

Unknown user

"Even a Celtic fan"

MacDonald Jardine

If it's the Celtic fan I think it was, they were treated fine and that's fair enough. They came on to chat about football.

However, 9a and B-Bear were on the Big Thread making the usual Sevco-fantasist claims and were rightly called out on it. That 'SandyIn...' rangers fan that used to come on Sevco match threads was treated ok too as far as I remember, except when he started veering into existential chat

That isn't my recollection but hey ho.

The thread rapidly degenerated into comments that they let their club die.

Always hilarious right enough.

I have no problem with any other club's fans coming on here if they declare themselves as such and remember where they are.

MacDonald Jardine

"Even a Celtic fan"

Are we supposed to be less anti Celtic?

I can see how some lump the two together but any semblance of being non partisan is not borne out by their respective receptions on here.

Archived