Pittodrie "Unfit for Purpose"

N Lincs Jambo

N Lincs Jambo

According to AFC Chief Exec Duncan Fraser.... Picked this up on the BBC site but original article apparently in the Daily Mail. This was in the aftermath of Tuesday's floodlight failure. It all sounds a bit Piemanesque to me. Wonder if any of our frequent visitors from the land of the sheep have any thoughts on this? I used to love away days to Pittodrie in the 80s and early 90s when we would be in the Beach End before it got redeveloped.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We_are_the_Hearts

According to AFC Chief Exec Duncan Fraser.... Picked this up on the BBC site but original article apparently in the Daily Mail. This was in the aftermath of Tuesday's floodlight failure. It all sounds a bit Piemanesque to me. Wonder if any of our frequent visitors from the land of the sheep have any thoughts on this? I used to love away days to Pittodrie in the 80s and early 90s when we would be in the Beach End before it got redeveloped.

That was my first thought on Tuesday, the Not fit for Puropse angle. Wee Stewarty Milne confiscating all the 50ps. Also agree about the Beach end, great away trip compared to now

Aberdeen fans seem to be mostly in favour of moving though. Unlike Hearts fans who were determined to stay at Tynecastle if possible .Thankfully it was.

A power issue affecting one section of flood lights = Pittodrie unfit for purpose?

Is there a conspiracy here? Sabotage to increase support for an out of town move?

A power issue affecting one section of flood lights = Pittodrie unfit for purpose?

Is there a conspiracy here? Sabotage to increase support for an out of town move?

It's a mistake

Open and transparent always best when seeking support

And fans see through it. I laugh at the stupidity of people who don't realise that.

Doubt this was deliberate though might be interesting if Aberdeen have changed how they do maintenance, perhaps cutting costs. Eg this repair was 2 week timescale. They surely could have paid more for quicker job albeit that probably thought generator would be fine.

Aberdeen fans seem to be mostly in favour of moving though. Unlike Hearts fans who were determined to stay at Tynecastle if possible .Thankfully it was.

Tbh, if moving to a brand new 25,000 capacity stadium was really an option in the pieman era is imagine the opposition wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong. We all knew where the renting Murrayfield scenario would lead.

That's exactly what It Is.Any excuse to produce "the new stadium propaganda".

The Pittodrie site Is earmarked for new housing,once the Stadium goes and guess which football club has a Chairman who builds houses ???

Unconfirmed reports of under 8000 at Pittodrie on Tuesday and If they move out of town,midweek games against Hamilton,Partick etc,shall only see crowds dip even more,once the "new stadium novelty" wears thin.

We're fortunate to have built a very strong feel good factor around the club. That's a big help to Ann Budge etc taking the club forward.

I sense Aberdeen don't really have that.

Tbh, if moving to a brand new 25,000 capacity stadium was really an option in the pieman era is imagine the opposition wouldn't have been anywhere near as strong. We all knew where the renting Murrayfield scenario would lead.

Fair point, I was/am all in favour of staying at Tynecastle as the preferred option but if Mrs B had come up with a compelling argument to build some were else I would have been open to it.

IveSeenTheLight

The section we get is a disgrace the seats are falling to bits with rust and the view of the pitch is crap

Surely you'll love if we do move to a new stadium then ;)

That all said, surely you would want to place the away fans in the worst part of any stadium and keep the best seats for the home fans.

That all said, surely you would want to place the away fans in the worst part of any stadium and keep the best seats for the home fans.

Or you'd have a stadium where there isn't a restricted view and an open end facing a beach at the North Sea.

Some of us have stadia where it isn't an issue.

Thats fine if you are not getting ripped off for the dearest prices on the dump.

IveSeenTheLight

Or you'd have a stadium where there isn't a restricted view and an open end facing a beach at the North Sea.

Some of us have stadia where it isn't an issue.

Sorry, not understanding your first line.

What's the restriction in view from the South Stand? The segregation gate which is see through.

You could argue that sitting behind the goals give a restrictive view through the nets.

Celtic Park has a horrible pillar that restricts the view which you don't have at Pittodrie away end. Indeed, I'd argue that the view would be worse in some of the Pittodrie and Tynecastle main stands where the pillars would severely restrict the view of some parts of the ground.

Sorry, not understanding your first line.

What's the restriction in view from the South Stand? The segregation gate which is see through.

You could argue that sitting behind the goals give a restrictive view through the nets.

Celtic Park has a horrible pillar that restricts the view which you don't have at Pittodrie away end. Indeed, I'd argue that the view would be worse in some of the Pittodrie and Tynecastle main stands where the pillars would severely restrict the view of some parts of the ground.

The view of the far end of the pitch is difficult to see, regardless of the fence. For a guy of 6 foot 4, I'd find myself straining to see the far end if I'm in any section other than the one right beside the fence.

I've sat in the main stand at Tynecastle many times and the restriction from the pillar is minimal at worst. And I've sat in the Roseburn, which has zero visibility issues.

I'm curious to know how many times ISTL has sat in the Main Stand at Tynecastle to arrive that the pillars 'severely' restrict the view.

I've never sat in the Main Stand at Pittodrie so couldn't begin to comment. He's nailed on about Parkhead though.

IveSeenTheLight

Thats fine if you are not getting ripped off for the dearest prices on the dump.

I don't believe you are.

I understand you pay the same rate as the home support pay in the South Stand

IveSeenTheLight

I'm curious to know how many times ISTL has sat in the Main Stand at Tynecastle to arrive that the pillars 'severely' restrict the view.

I've never sat in the Main Stand at Pittodrie so couldn't begin to comment. He's nailed on about Parkhead though.

True, I've never sat in the Hearts main stand. I know Aberdeen fans who sat there in the St Johnstone semi-final a few years ago

They look very similar to sitting in Pittodrie main stand though which I have done.

I have sat in the Wheatfield, Roseburn and Gorgie Road end (both when terracing and in the stand).

The good thing about tynecastle is the pitch of the stand which aid unrestricted views, however this also brings risks, where many an inebriated fan has taken a tumble down the steps ;)

N Lincs Jambo

To I've seen the light - do Aberdeen fans believe that what your chief exec said about Pittodrie being "unfit for purpose" after the floodlights failure is genuine or just taking advantage of an unfortunate event to swing support behind the move? Pieman (Chris Robinson) famously released a document entitled "Tynecastle - Unfit for Purpose" as he wanted to sell out to Cala homes and rent Murrayfield. That was the main reason so many Hearts fans supported Vlad at the time as he promised we would stay at Tynie.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We're fortunate to have built a very strong feel good factor around the club. That's a big help to Ann Budge etc taking the club forward.

Correct Mikey. Cathro in the paper again this morning, says we live our lives through Hearts, a lot of us do, for Aberdeen fans, the vast majority just see it as a football team and not anything like the same emotional attachment exists. Hence why Hearts are my team and not Aberdeen

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Neither are good Phil, I would say the Aberdeen one is better for viewing and for space. Except headroom in the stairwells, the Aberdeen one was built for midgets

Seymour M Hersh

True, I've never sat in the Hearts main stand. I know Aberdeen fans who sat there in the St Johnstone semi-final a few years ago

They look very similar to sitting in Pittodrie main stand though which I have done.

I have sat in the Wheatfield, Roseburn and Gorgie Road end (both when terracing and in the stand).

The good thing about tynecastle is the pitch of the stand which aid unrestricted views, however this also brings risks, where many an inebriated fan has taken a tumble down the steps ;)

Easy fix there Mr Codheid. Learn your alcohol limits and drink within them. I know coming to the big cosmopolitan city is a huge thrill for you lot but just go easy on the sauce until after the game then you can drown your sorrows.

I don't believe you are.

I understand you pay the same rate as the home support pay in the South Stand

Well if the home support are gullible enough to pay these prices every couple of weeks for these broken seats and view bigger fools them.

IveSeenTheLight

To I've seen the light - do Aberdeen fans believe that what your chief exec said about Pittodrie being "unfit for purpose" after the floodlights failure is genuine or just taking advantage of an unfortunate event to swing support behind the move? Pieman (Chris Robinson) famously released a document entitled "Tynecastle - Unfit for Purpose" as he wanted to sell out to Cala homes and rent Murrayfield. That was the main reason so many Hearts fans supported Vlad at the time as he promised we would stay at Tynie.

I'm sure there was politics at hand with this one.

The new stadium is about to go through the approval process, so this unfortunate even is natural to spin into one of the benefits of approving the proposed plans

N Lincs Jambo

The new stadium is about to go through the approval process, so this unfortunate even is natural to spin into one of the benefits of approving the proposed plans

Cheers m8! Btw what's the general opinion amongst the AFC support? Stay at Pittodrie or move?

IveSeenTheLight

Easy fix there Mr Codheid. Learn your alcohol limits and drink within them. I know coming to the big cosmopolitan city is a huge thrill for you lot but just go easy on the sauce until after the game then you can drown your sorrows.

:2thumbsup:

Don't worry, I can handle my drink  :drunk:

Well if the home support are gullible enough to pay these prices every couple of weeks for these broken seats and view bigger fools them.

There are no broken seats where I sit and it's only the away fans who sit where you go.

Let's hope your happier with the new stadium (if it happens) but don;t go expecting the best seats in the house

IveSeenTheLight

Cheers m8! Btw what's the general opinion amongst the AFC support? Stay at Pittodrie or move?

I think initially, most would have preferred to stay, but over time, generally there is a movement towards understanding and acknowledging the benefits of moving.

I went to Pittodrie at the unveiling of the latest plans and there were a couple of fans still wishing to stay, but those were guys I know who live right next to Pittodrie, so naturally a move away is more inconvenience for them.

A lot of Aberdeen's support no longer lives next to the stadium and for many (myself included), it may just be easier to get to the proposed new location

:2thumbsup:

Don't worry, I can handle my drink :drunk:

There are no broken seats where I sit and it's only the away fans who sit where you go.

Let's hope your happier with the new stadium (if it happens) but don;t go expecting the best seats in the house

No i dont expect the best seats in any away ground. just a intact seat and a view of the entire pitch will suffice.

IveSeenTheLight

No i dont expect the best seats in any away ground. just a intact seat and a view of the entire pitch will suffice.

I'm sure you have that opportunity when visiting Pittodrie

hearts_away.png

I'll welcome your constructive views on the new ground (if it happens)

This was my first thought the other night. It suits the club at this time to 'publicise' to the council that moving is a requirement. I imagine some in the darker corners at Pittodrie (see what I did there) will be quietly nodding in contented approval at what happened .

I'm sure you have that opportunity when visiting Pittodrie

hearts_away.png

I'll welcome your constructive views on the new ground (if it happens)

so you have to move around like some giant game of musical chairs to find an unbroken seat and a descent view. ridiculous.

IveSeenTheLight

so you have to move around like some giant game of musical chairs to find an unbroken seat and a descent view. ridiculous.

You'll love the new ground then ;)

The Treasurer

I think initially, most would have preferred to stay, but over time, generally there is a movement towards understanding and acknowledging the benefits of moving.

I went to Pittodrie at the unveiling of the latest plans and there were a couple of fans still wishing to stay, but those were guys I know who live right next to Pittodrie, so naturally a move away is more inconvenience for them.

A lot of Aberdeen's support no longer lives next to the stadium and for many (myself included), it may just be easier to get to the proposed new location

Is this finally an admission that most are Central Belt,Glory-hunting, 80's throw-backs ?

IveSeenTheLight

Is this finally an admission that most are Central Belt,Glory-hunting, 80's throw-backs ?

LOL, no.

Its the Hearts fans on hear crow about the 80's every opportunity you can.

I doubt there are 17,000 Hearts fans all living in Gorgie, so you can appreciate that some travel to home games from outside Gorgie.

I've heard reported there may be approx 500 or so Aberdeen fans in the Central belt, that's the beauty of living in a free travel society.

I know quite a few Jambo's living up in Aberdeenshire too :shock:

IveSeenTheLight

Why would i have any felling for any ground i visit once or twice a season.

Surely on those occasions you do support your team away to Aberdeen, you'll be getting a better viewing opportunity to do so.

Else that, or you'd prefer to stay at Pittodrie in which case what are you moaning about ;)

Surely on those occasions you do support your team away to Aberdeen, you'll be getting a better viewing opportunity to do so.

Else that, or you'd prefer to stay at Pittodrie in which case what are you moaning about ;)

its just i counldnt care less where aberdeen or anybody else play. all expect is a seat in one piece and a view of the park. no more no less

IveSeenTheLight

its just i counldnt care less where aberdeen or anybody else play. all expect is a seat in one piece and a view of the park. no more no less

You just like a whinge don't you? ;)

Like I said above, you can get that currently at Pittodrie if you wanted.

I think this thread is done now

WheatfieldWarrior

What about the situation for visting fans re the proposed new ground position? does this significantly affect the journey time if coming by train for example, and how much time would it save if travelling by car?

You just like a whinge don't you? ;)

Like I said above, you can get that currently at Pittodrie if you wanted.

I think this thread is done now

ye ok your right its all my own fault

That's exactly what It Is.Any excuse to produce "the new stadium propaganda".

If they move out of town,midweek games against Hamilton,Partick etc,shall only see crowds dip even more,once the "new stadium novelty" wears thin.

Or, when fans start enjoying the whole experience of going to games more (Pittodrie is a tough place to love) the crowds could well go up and stay up.

I struggle to see how any new stadium could be worse than Pittodrie.

I've not had a season ticket since Skovdahl was manager. A combination of working weekends and moving to Glasgow, but also not particularly enjoying Pittodrie as a stadium (I go to more away games than home ones). However, I would likely make more effort to go to Kingsford and six of us who currently don't have season tickets have talked about getting for any safe standing section.

Are you suggesting Aberdeen fans don't have the same feeling towards Stewart Milne as Hearts fans do for Ann Budge?

In order to adhere to the current building/safety regs nowadays the footprint of the stadium would need to be larger than it currently is. Wider walkways, shallower gradient of the terraces etc. This may be an issue for Hearts should they need to redevelop the other three stands. The Chris Robertson stuff, I'm no expert on it, but was he not just suggesting Hearts couldn't rebuild the main stand which Budge has now found a way around? For Aberdeen there would be flats that needed knocked down rather than just a nursery.

There's also the fact that the south stand is gradually sinking into the ground. An engineer would want the entire site dug up and filled with proper upfill material before any new building work would be allowed to commence.

Redeveloping Pittodrie might not be impossible, but it would cost us more than building a new one, we would have less cash to start with because we wouldn't have anything to sell to fund it, and we would likely have less facilities there that we're able to incorporate into a new ground so even if we managed to build something it wouldn't be as good as a new one. Seems a huge cost and effort just so we can stay at "home".

Pittodrie isn't an ideal location anyway. Kingsford not ideal either but it's not significantly worse either, just lack of public transport and parking the main issues. Think fans would have liked to see Bucksburn and a link-up with the new AECC as the preferred place as it's within the city, close to the new bypass, would be able to use the parking facilities at the AECC as well as building our own therefore doubling the amount of spaces that will be available at Kingsford, and there's a train station not too far away (and think I read one is going to be built at AECC).

But, not sure there's available land and Kingsford has potential. The big thing for me it lacks (contrary to popular opinion there are plenty bars), is a train station as relying solely on shuttle buses isn't a good idea. Hopefully, with all the other developments being built in the area, it'll be something given consideration to in future.

What about the situation for visting fans re the proposed new ground position? does this significantly affect the journey time if coming by train for example, and how much time would it save if travelling by car?

By car, I *think* (again, I live in Glasgow so not quite in the loop) you can join the bypass at Stonehaven and it would be 20 mins from there. Would certainly reduce travelling times.

Train. One idea for away fans (was muted for Old Firm fans) is train to Stonehaven, drink in bars there, then shuttle bus to ground. Or get train to city centre and bus. It takes 20 mins to walk from train station to Pittodrie, shuttle bus to Kingsford would likely take around the same.

As mentioned in previous post though, if they can somehow build a train station (probably not possible at Westhill but possibly near Kingswells park and ride which is two miles away) then that would help a lot. But that would be a council or governmentl thing.

Archived