The reaction on this place....

davie1980

The reaction of Hearts fans on here over the last few days, has bordered on hysterical.

I'm kind of reluctant to start this thread because I don't want to sound negative and I can anticipate the feedback that I'm willing failure.

But we've seen this so many times, the wave of euphoria that greets a regime change, a manager arriving, a new striker coming in with an impressive highlight reel on Youtube.

Then 2 weeks later when said change doesn't look like it's going to result in the predicted title win and champions league run, everyone is wetting themselves.

I'm excited about these appointments, they are bold and ambitious and forward thinking.

But they are bold for exactly one reason, they carry a large degree of risk.

Risk that I don't think everyone is acknowledging.

There are some posts on here, as I said, bordering on hysterical and I can only imagine the reaction when we don't go to Ibrox and pump Rangers, or if we finish the season in 4th, exactly where we are now.

"He's no improvement on Phoodle"

"He was never fit to manage a football club"

"Leveins puppet, this is Leveins fault, should have gone for an experienced man like Tommy Wright"

"Who's hiring the plane?"

There is good reason to be optimistic about these guys but I strongly suspect the good work they may do might be seen in the mid to long term.

My worry is that, based on the boundless optimism of some on here, they will not get time and patience to deliver their full potential.

The first bump on the road will be met with predictions that the project will never work.

And it's likely the same hysterical voice could be the quickest to turn, while the voices of caution are more likely to be the ones calling for patience in 6 months time, when these guys need the backing the most.

I don't want to tell people to be optimistic and excited about these changes, it's an exciting time. But let's just bare in mind these are young inexperienced lads, who might need support and backing through the rougher times and have things to learn about taking this step up.

glastonbury jambo

It will all be just fine ...and thats coming from me...we have the management to take us to the next level and beyond...you wait and see.

Hardly! Most managers we have appointed over the last 10 years have received the 'meh' treatment in my opinion.

The last one we got this excited about was Burley.

Davie.......anyone with any sense has kept their optimism of this appointment at a sensible level.

If things don't pan out as well as we all hope, I fully expect this place to " do a Kickback ", and blow up !

Some people are pretty consistent at being off the wall on here !

Why worry about the future too much mate? Why look too far ahead?

That's the problem with the net.....Years ago it was blind optimism and faith in who was appointed. Arse along to the game and get behind the team.

Now it's constant arguments on a daily basis as to who will get sacked or who won't, when and where!

I like debating but at least it's when something is happening or events are unfolding! :)

I think we're rightly excited about the new appointments. We're not going to turn into league winners overnight though. They have to be given time.

If we lose on Sat I'll be disappointed, but that's football. More interested in what happens over the next 6-9 months.

glastonbury jambo

I think we're rightly excited about the new appointments. We're not going to turn into league winners overnight though. They have to be given time.

If we lose on Sat I'll be disappointed, but that's football. More interested in what happens over the next 6-9 months.

What if we win 3-0 ...then keep on winning much more than losing...

Davie, seems to me that your believing in limits the Scottish media and fans have fallen victim of for decades.....

;)

glastonbury jambo

A defeat on saturday and kickback will be back to it's greeting, slavering, pish-talking worst.

no ...things have changed ...cant you feel it....

glastonbury jambo

Davie, seems to me that your believing in limits the Scottish media and fans have fallen victim of for decades.....

;)

Exactamundo...those days are over.

The day I stop being positive and hopeful about the future, just in case something bad happens, is the day I pull on a Hibs top.

glastonbury jambo

I don't think we will learn a lot from Saturday.... am excited about the long term to see the impact of any changes.

We will see a difference on saturday....our away form has been gash...that will not continue.

glastonbury jambo

The day I stop being positive and hopeful about the future, just in case something bad happens, is the day I pull on a Hibs top.

lol yeah... :2thumbsup:

Lose on Saturday and I'm throwing my season ticket into the dugout at our next home game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crag Levein - some folk think he's a clown for having a say but at this moment you see why this is vital in keeping it altogether.

Crag Levein - some folk think he's a clown for having a say but at this moment you see why this is vital in keeping it altogether.

:spoton:

The anti Levein sentiment that floats around on here is bizarre to the point of almost being twisted.

Just mental.

The anti Levein sentiment that floats around on here is bizarre to the point of almost being twisted.

Just mental.

That'll be those tea bagging pals of the Phoodle Out Brigade

We will see a difference on saturday....our away form has been gash...that will not continue.

I'm hopeful we will see a difference on Saturday, even if we don't win, I'm hoping we see a team go out with the intention of winning and impose our game plan on Rangers at Ibrox.

Life would be rather dull without its ups and downs. Being an Hearts fan seems to guarantee you plenty of both. My opinion is that this is an "up" moment...

Fxxx the SPFL

I'm hopeful we will see a difference on Saturday, even if we don't win, I'm hoping we see a team go out with the intention of winning and impose our game plan on Rangers at Ibrox.

I don't think we will see any difference on Saturday, Cathro has already come out today saying there will be no changes in the training or on the park I'm sure I caught that comment on the radio coming home from work.

I don't think we will see any difference on Saturday, Cathro has already come out today saying there will be no changes in the training or on the park I'm sure I caught that comment on the radio coming home from work.

American English - 'caught that comment' ?

:lol:

glastonbury jambo

yes but 'stay' and 'go' are 2 different things to a team.

Fxxx the SPFL

yes but 'stay' and 'go' are 2 different things to a team.

I have already commented on another thread about us pressing The Rangers high up the pitch which I hope we do but I just have this niggling worry that our form players could be blowing out their arse by 65-70 minutes as ibroke is a far bigger pitch let's hope we have them dead and buried by then. Will be very interesting to say the least. Looking forward to three points.

Dr Ian Malcolm

It's a valid point tbf. Look at the reaction Dauda got when he signed, which then went a full 180 after his debut. Oshaniwa was even more extreme. I know a manager is slightly different in that they don't have the same immediate expectations, but this place has a tendency to overreact in the positive and negative.

I have already commented on another thread about us pressing The Rangers high up the pitch which I hope we do but I just have this niggling worry that our form players could be blowing out their arse by 65-70 minutes as ibroke is a far bigger pitch let's hope we have them dead and buried by then. Will be very interesting to say the least. Looking forward to three points.

I made an observation over the high pressing tactic before the Ross county game.

The strategy worked a treat against the patient passing out from the back tactics of Rangers, similarly, as you say, it worked on a smaller field at Tynecastle

When you face a side that approach the game differently, such as one that sits in and counter attacks, or when you play in a different arena, that lends itself to expansive play over the quick paced pressing game, you might find yourself coming undone.

The background our new coaching team have in analysis will hopefully see us picking the right strategy for each opponent and respective venue.

There is too much focus on wanting a particular set-up, formation,. tactic or strategy deployed by their team. 

I want a management team that can identify when we can play our own game and let the opposition worry about us. And when we need to tailor our strategy to the opponent.

When to press, when to pass patiently and when to counter attack,

and when the game calls for a back 3, a midfield 5 or a front 2

Life's too short to worry about what other people might think on an internet forum.

Three, four years ago, we were in a very bad place. Now we're all (well, most of us) giddy with euphoria. 

I'm going to enjoy and lap up every moment of this week because I think this is the start of something brilliant.

To hell in a handcart.

I think there are two types of Hearts supporters - optimists who are hoping for the best, and people who really, really, really like to moan. 

Figure it'll be ok however it goes.

Incidentally the press seems to imply he'll be a disaster or a complete genius.  Maybe he'll be 10% better or worse than Neilson......

The OP is spot on because unless we bought Messi and Ronaldo when I wasn't looking then we're not suddenly turning into world beaters. I've already said he'll need to go some to improve on what Neilson done and I for one hope he can but the reaction in this place this week has been pretty amusing to say the least!

alwaysthereinspirit

Is it still ok to be happy when we win and disappointed when we lose?

Disappointed? Yes.

Off the wall hysterical? No

What if we win 3-0 ...then keep on winning much more than losing...

If Hearts under Ian Cathro does not win a game before the winter break. You will be the first person calling for him to be sacked on here. It's how you are. You will post stuff like. He's to young, has no experience. Should never got the gig in the first place. Blah, blah, blah.

jamboinglasgow

It's a valid point tbf. Look at the reaction Dauda got when he signed, which then went a full 180 after his debut. Oshaniwa was even more extreme. I know a manager is slightly different in that they don't have the same immediate expectations, but this place has a tendency to overreact in the positive and negative.

I agree. I stay clear from here after loses as it's unbareable. I also agree wins can be over the top in celebration. We need a happy medium.

I like to think myself as really optimistic and I am a big fan of Cathro but even I worry that some are getting too hyped up at the moment. Nothing wrong with being excited and optimistic. But don't build him up to something that will be very hard for him to achieve.

After our near demise two and a half years ago we have exceeded expectations. Robbie took us back up at first time of asking then we finished 3rd last season so, the expectation gets higher!

Expectations are not an exact science and agree we should all calm down .

I wasn't really looking to temper anyone's expectations or asking people to curb their enthusiasm.

We should be optimistic and I think there is plenty to be positive about

I'm just concerned that the high expectation leads to the counter reaction of demanding they're sacked after 12 games because "we're going backwards" when we haven't absolutely pumped every team in the league and got to a cup final

As long as some can show patience, for a coaching team who may need it more than your average appointment, then there is no harm in being bouncing off the walls happy right now. 

I think Kickback has been great this week. For the past few months it's been torture reading some of the depressing stuff on here. The feel good bubble will burst eventually, but it's good to see fellow Hearts supporters in such a positive, upbeat mood. Long may it last.

I find all this a bit bizarre really, rather strange. So what if we have appointed a young lad as head coach, so bloody what? Who else was in line if it wasn't Cathro? Malky bloody Mackay or some other old 'jobs for the boys' type to use big fat boydy's wording, not for me. I applaud Levein and Budge for making this decision and sticking 2 fingers up to the rest of Scottish football by doing so. It may not work out, but looking at Pish Boyd these days, neither does he!!.

HHGH FTH.

Governor Tarkin

A defeat on saturday and kickback will be back to it's greeting, slavering, pish-talking worst.

Am I right to assume you're including yourself in this prediction?

;)

Seymour M Hersh

Any chance we could wait and see what happens for the rest of the season before predicting potential doom & gloom?

Bjorn & Djoum to be replaced by Salmon & Watt after 70 mins with the instruction to run your arse of for twenty minutes. Surely they can do that right :)

Bazzas right boot

I wasn't really looking to temper anyone's expectations or asking people to curb their enthusiasm.

We should be optimistic and I think there is plenty to be positive about

I'm just concerned that the high expectation leads to the counter reaction of demanding they're sacked after 12 games because "we're going backwards" when we haven't absolutely pumped every team in the league and got to a cup final

As long as some can show patience, for a coaching team who may need it more than your average appointment, then there is no harm in being bouncing off the walls happy right now.

Don't get a win on the next two league games, we will be on yellow alert, Aberdeen beat us, it will be full red alert and folk pissing themselves.

Win at Ibrox, There will be folk stroking themselves into a coma, Robbie will get further trashed and we'll be on our way to catching Celtic.

It's a rollercoaster. I like a rollercoaster tho!

Well, even some of the the Weegie media are behind the appointment and less pessimistic; who would've thought:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14949971.Stuart_Bathgate__Cathro_s_critics_highlight_Scottish_football_s_problems/

Hmmm, actually most journalists have seen it as a positive appointment.

A few high profile people have passed dubious comments which have carried an underlying tone of suspicion and ignorance and have rightly been exposed.

Archived