Hearts Uefa coefficient confirmed for next season

Boozyuzi

That's Scotland's UEFA co-efficient determined for next season as all Scottish teams are now out of Europe.   Hearts ended with 5.785 ranking points and currently sit 237th in the rankings - this season we had 6.460 and were 221st in the rankings.

So unfortunately that drop means its unlikely we would be seeded in Europa League QR2 as we were this season.

Not that it makes the slightest differance anyway..

Geoff Kilpatrick

That's Scotland's UEFA co-efficient determined for next season as all Scottish teams are now out of Europe. Hearts ended with 5.785 ranking points and currently sit 237th in the rankings - this season we had 6.460 and were 221st in the rankings.

So unfortunately that drop means its unlikely we would be seeded in Europa League QR2 as we were this season.

Not that it makes the slightest differance anyway..

Oh well. At least we won't lose to a pub team in QR2.

If we get into Europe then we need to get lucky with the draw..

However losing to Maltese pub teams isn't going to make the draws any easier..

Geoff Kilpatrick

If we get into Europe then we need to get lucky with the draw..

However losing to Maltese pub teams isn't going to make the draws any easier..

Oh man, get over it! It's meaningless, apparently. :rolleyes:

If we do qualify for Europe it could actually work in our favour. This season the winner of Q2 took the coefficient of the seeded team into Q3. So in theory we could get a harder team in Q2 but an easier team in Q3.

loveofthegame

Europe is becoming an absolute impossible dream these days. UEFA have seen to that with a near impossible qualification process.

So glad I did Bordeaux, Basle, Feynoord, Spurs, Liverpool to name just a few - we might not get many big trips like those again for a long time.

If we do qualify for Europe it could actually work in our favour. This season the winner of Q2 took the coefficient of the seeded team into Q3. So in theory we could get a harder team in Q2 but an easier team in Q3.

That's the positive way I'm looking at it :)

I think with a bit of common sense you could argue that every side apart from hearts this season performed well in Europe, hibs included. The money in the game now across Europe is incredible. Scotland is light years behind so Celtic/Aberdeen/Hibs etc performed very well all things considered. Hearts failed at the hurdle we should've been capable of over coming. The round after the round we went out is now, sadly, our limit along with all Scottish clubs outside Celtic. Celtic making the group stages, as much as it pains me, was an incredible achievement. When the Scottish champions are going up against a 3rd string side that cost ?93 million you know the games a bogey. I would also like to point out that we can't point out the glaring gulf between the clubs without having the same argument domestically, so I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for Celtic.

Europe is becoming an absolute impossible dream these days. UEFA have seen to that with a near impossible qualification process.

So glad I did Bordeaux, Basle, Feynoord, Spurs, Liverpool to name just a few - we might not get many big trips like those again for a long time.

No limits - Ian Cathro - Tuesday 6th December 2016.

Europe was a disaster this season because the team was not prepared for it.

If we played that Maltese lot on saturday we would win , no problem.

Should have had another 3 or 4 games played before the opening tie.

That was the problem.

Hackney Hearts

The round after the round we went out is now, sadly, our limit 

No such thing as limits now, sorry.

If you look at some of the teams, particularly from Ireland, who do better than us in Europe you've got to think it's just a mental block for Scottish teams and we really need to get over it.

I'd say Cathro and McPhee are probably the best bet for us to do that.

If we qualify ;)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Oddly this could be a blessing. Better to play a seed in round 2 to be seeded for round 3. You take their seeding if you beat them. Watch it change just in time. Lucky Eddie doesn't have a look in

michael_bolton

Summer football. It's really simple. Summer football will mean our teams are fit and ready for the qualifiers. No way we get knocked out by a Maltese side if our team is match fit.

On a side note. I see 15 of the 16 pot one and two sides qualified for the knock out stages of the Champions League.

Clock ticking on the wee teams just not getting to play at all. What's the point?

Just an excuse to be honest, Scotland's damage is self inflicted. It wasn't UEFA that seen Celtic get scudded from Artmedia, Rangers from Kaunas, Hibs v Malmo, Falkirk in Liechtenstein, us v Malta part timers etc..

Plenty 'smaller' clubs from previously smaller leagues are still qualifiying year on year despite the changes to qualification.

If you look at some of the teams, particularly from Ireland, who do better than us in Europe you've got to think it's just a mental block for Scottish teams and we really need to get over it.

League of Ireland runs Feb to Nov. I think this has assisted them.

That said - Maltese league runs Aug to April.

Bazzas right boot

We're the Malta team part time?

They had half the Malta national team in their ranks, surley that's full time.

Still a shit result, no matter what but are they part time, I.e Dumbarton and the likes, I don't think so.

Bazzas right boot

League of Ireland runs Feb to Nov. I think this has assisted them.

That said - Maltese league runs Aug to April.

As above, we were Just illed prepared.

However, miss a pk, hit the bar twice, miss a open goal, your asking to be sucker punched.

As above, we were Just illed prepared.

However, miss a pk, hit the bar twice, miss a open goal, your asking to be sucker punched.

Who's fault was that, that we were ill prepared?

We played a pub league team from Malta full of part time fishermen, probably our worst ever result in Europe.

But that's ok cause Europe doesn't matter nowadays according to some and is a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

Who's fault was that, that we were ill prepared?

We played a pub league team from Malta full of part time fishermen, probably our worst ever result in Europe.

But that's ok cause Europe doesn't matter nowadays according to some and is a waste of time.

I said at the time it was poor from the management team, the goal keeping fiasco, lack of strikers,the poor prep for Europe.

However, on the night we should have scored 3 or 4, for all the bad prep the team created enough and should have won.

You can calm down, no need for a rant.

I've never said Robbie was perfect.

If we qualify this year, preparation has too improve. Making the final qualifying round is a must to start our improvement.

We'll need to qualify first.

I said at the time it was poor from the management team, the goal keeping fiasco, lack of strikers,the poor prep for Europe.

However, on the night we should have scored 3 or 4, for all the bad prep the team created enough and should have won.

You can calm down, no need for a rant.

I've never said Robbie was perfect.

If we qualify this year, preparation has too improve. Making the final qualifying round is a must to start our improvement.

We'll need to qualify first.

Ifs and buts don't win games Tosh. This constant excuse from people of "we could have" done this or we could have scored more. The fact is we didn't. Rangers last week could have won but they didn't because we were the better team we took our chances. Consoling ourselves in the what we could have done has been part of the problem m8. It's a defeatist losers mentality.

I do not remember you once slating any of the management at the time for the performances in Europe. (If you did fair enough) It was certainly swept under the carpet by some with the same old excuses of, oh it's still early in the season, wait till we've had some more games, Robbie is still learning.

Thankfully we shouldn't see anymore of those lame excuses ever appearing again and we have a management team that has a positive attitude.

I'd like to know what it would have been had we beaten the maltesers.

I don't think it would be much different from now as their own coefficient is so low.

We'd have got **** all off the Russians.

I'd like to know what it would have been had we beaten the maltesers.

I don't think it would be much different from now as their own coefficient is so low.

We'd have got **** all off the Russians.

Would have been nice to have had that chance though. Our co-eff wouldnt have dropped either as we'd have been the unseeded team.

Would have been nice to have had that chance though. Our co-eff wouldnt have dropped either as we'd have been the unseeded team.

Don't disagree - although the complete skelping we would have got might have done more damage than being put out earlier.

Bazzas right boot

Ifs and buts don't win games Tosh. This constant excuse from people of "we could have" done this or we could have scored more. The fact is we didn't. Rangers last week could have won but they didn't because we were the better team we took our chances. Consoling ourselves in the what we could have done has been part of the problem m8. It's a defeatist losers mentality.

I do not remember you once slating any of the management at the time for the performances in Europe. (If you did fair enough) It was certainly swept under the carpet by some with the same old excuses of, oh it's still early in the season, wait till we've had some more games, Robbie is still learning.

Thankfully we shouldn't see anymore of those lame excuses ever appearing again and we have a management team that has a positive attitude.

Lol, no excuses.

I'm excited too, time will tell. Robbie left on the back of a third place finish, and second in the league.

An improvement on that and in the cups is most welcome;

Future results in Europe will also be of interest, as no doubt, Scotland in general has suffered over the past ten years or so.

All sounds good so far, but talk is cheap, I hope we also walk the walk, I'm confident we will.

As before I'll support Cathro in the way I did Robbie, and in the future , I'll support the next manager in the same way.

My negativity tends to be aimed at other teams, not mine!

Lol, no excuses.

I'm excited too, time will tell. Robbie left on the back of a third place finish, and second in the league.

An improvement on that and in the cups is most welcome;

Future results in Europe will also be of interest, as no doubt, Scotland in general has suffered over the past ten years or so.

All sounds good so far, but talk is cheap, I hope we also walk the walk, I'm confident we will.

As before I'll support Cathro in the way I did Robbie, and in the future , I'll support the next manager in the same way.

My negativity tends to be aimed at other teams, not mine!

:2thumbs:

Tokyo Drifter

When teams from Ireland (Dundalk), Azerbaijan (Gabala and Qarabag) and Kazakhstan (Astana) all make it into the Europa League group stage there's no excuse for Hearts or Aberdeen not getting in too.

Oddly this could be a blessing. Better to play a seed in round 2 to be seeded for round 3. You take their seeding if you beat them. Watch it change just in time. Lucky Eddie doesn't have a look in

Only an advantage if the seeded team in R2 would also have been seeded in R3. Which likely makes R2 a much harder tie.

Birkirkara were not seeded for R3 despite beating us.

• 1 month later...

Just another related update

Scotsman and Daily Record are reporting Scotland have dropped in rankings meaning all 3 Scottish qualifiers for Europa League have to start in Round 1 in June.

So even winning Scottish Cup.

August Landmesser

Further changes to seeding and other changes from UEFA's ExCo meeting

http://www.uefa.org/mediaservices/newsid=2430054.html#lyon+host+2018+uefa+europa+league+final

It looks like the national association element of the coefficient is being scrapped, so you have to rely on your own performances to boost your coefficient.

That's good, that should remove any lingering shred of arguments about whether Celtic getting into the Champions League groups every season is 'good for Scottish football'.

Hint: It's not.

Bazzas right boot

Better these games than lc group games at Falkirk and Livingston.

Better prep this year and we can at least get a plum tie.

Finishing at least third is still the aim.

A cup win is always welcome as well.

Scotsman and Daily Record are reporting Scotland have dropped in rankings meaning all 3 Scottish qualifiers for Europa League have to start in Round 1 in June.

Jesus. It literally couldn't get any worse.

So is there any advantage of finishing 2nd in terms of European place?

Not being funny but it's pretty clear above that given all 3 qualifiers start at the same stage, there's not any difference whether you come 2nd 3rd or win the cup all in the same wee boat

Good Point. Draw a big co-efficient team in QR2. Knock them out and proceed to QR3 with their co-efficient. Its the only way I can ever see us getting a hit at going to the group stages

So Scottish football is literally rock bottom?

Least now the only way can be up, surely.

All Neilson's fault.

Remember being in the UEFA Cup Group Stage?

:brucey:

Yes, that was the first time Heart of Midlothian ever entered my consciousness.  There was a football highlights show that aired in the States and I saw the summary of the match.  Long before life in Scotland was ever even a second thought, I decided that good, finally, there was a Scottish side I could actually support (for fun at that point obviously).  Even over a decade ago I knew neither of the arse cheeks was for me.

If we have to start this early again next year and the players won't be fully match fit, I'd rather we didn't enter the competition than get embarrassed like we did this season.

So if we were in the Scottish cup final we'd have about a month and 2 days between that and europe

Scottish Cup final is 27 May

First round 1st leg is 29 June

Might be better not having a break but if so would be 2 weeks at most.

Only marginally longer than the winter break

Bazzas right boot

Which means, teams now from the likes of Azerbaijan, are a struggle for Scottish teams. Including Celtic.

Domestic game & International game down the tubes.

How many years has Regan been in charge to watch its decline? And his answer has been to appoint Brian McClair, Malky MacKay & Gordon Strachan.

Shambles.

Losing whole generations because of these arseholes at the top.

Bazzas right boot

The season needs to start earlier and finish earlier.

Take away the winter break, finish at the start of may, 3 weeks off, 4 weeks prep.

Hardly rocket science.

It could be adapted, but start there.

Jeezo. Makes you wonder if it's actually worth it.

Archived